putting structure on ice?

Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/29 10:28:09 (permalink)

putting structure on ice?

not sure what the laws are anymore concerning this, but is it legal to put Christmas trees or pallets on the ice, to later sink and be used as crappie attractors?

9 Replies Related Threads

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: putting structure on ice? 2010/12/29 10:41:30 (permalink)
    I know that some fish clubs do it, but it's with permission from the PFBC and under the auspices of habitat improvement.

To arbitrarily deep six your own Christmas tree, however, would probably violate the law that says it is unlawful "To throw, leave, discard or deposit litter, debris or trash of any kind in or along waters or lands adjacent to or contiguous to waters of the Commonwealth."

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: putting structure on ice? 2010/12/29 10:55:35 (permalink)
    having talked to the commission recently about habitat improvement.  I am confident that you will be in a lot of trouble if your sink a christmas tree on a public waterway.

mohawksyd, post though begs an interesting question.  couldn't you do so on a private pond?  I was thinking that you could stock with impunity, break all kinds of fishing regs, and do whatever on an entirely private waterway...

anyway the way that the fish commission feels about it, is that all habitat improvement must be done in a methodical basis, strictly where there is data to suggest that the improve would improve or restore the fisheries of the lake.  That is why for example, I was shot down in my suggestion to add a few cribs to chapman dam.  The fish commission felt that the waterway had other issues that limited the fishery of the lake.

so, if I see in you in the middle of the night driving with your lights off and a christmas tree in the back, on some lonely dirt road near a major reservoir-  I won't say a word

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: putting structure on ice? 2010/12/29 11:03:17 (permalink)
    thanks, guys. i knew the state did it at one time on pymy and have heard reports of private citizens donating in an effort to improve the fishery over the last four decades, but i will leave it at that. thanks for the help.

Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: putting structure on ice? 2010/12/29 11:11:08 (permalink)
    Man rap, simple question, more complex answer....
    I've wondered the same thing, so I decided to do some digging. Here's what I come up with;
    you need 2 permits, one from the US Army corps of engineers & one from the DEP.
    But if you get the DEP permit, it automatically covers the COE permit too.

U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS PERMIT REQUIREMENTS (Section 404)
    The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act, requires a
    permit to place any material (or structure or device) in any waterway (stream or impoundment)
    with a flow greater than five cubic feet per second. A general permit (SPGP-3) must be
    obtained for the construction, installation and maintenance of Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission-approved Fish Habitat Enhancement Structures in waters of the Commonwealth of
    Pennsylvania. SPGP-3 is automatically covered by the approval of the Pennsylvania general
    permit (BDWW-GP-1)

DEP permit (BDWW-GP-1) linked here---> http://www.elibrary.dep.state.pa.us/dsweb/Get/Document-72784/3930-PM-WM0501.pdf
    The good news,
    There is no registration fee required for a project authorized under this
    General Permit

As far as dragging your old Christmas tree out onto the ice....well...I saw someone do that once...

Stay on top

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: putting structure on ice? 2010/12/29 12:56:13 (permalink)
    pork, i think i will stick with the stuff that i always fish instead. not worth the hassle or the possibility of creating problems for others. there is enough stuff in the bays i fish to keep me happy.

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: putting structure on ice? 2010/12/29 13:20:34 (permalink)
    In Kinzua Willow bay has pallets and the area south of Redbridge has Christmas trees.
    I took photos a few years ago when the water was low.
    That was pre-digital and do not know where they are

nw/jigmaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: putting structure on ice? 2010/12/29 15:27:06 (permalink)
    The army corp. are currently takig trees at woodcock overlook for habitat improvment.. A article has appeared in the tribune several times now..    NW/

Fish On !!!
    pheasant tail 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: putting structure on ice? 2010/12/29 22:57:56 (permalink)
    Permit(s) are required. Perhaps the waterway in question is enrolled in the Adopt-A-Lake Program? Contact the PFBC Habitat Division or look on their website to check.

Habitat improvement projects are scheduled annually on these waterways. Volunteers are often needed and appreciated.

nw/jigmaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: putting structure on ice? 2010/12/30 07:41:02 (permalink)
    One year @ the canadota tourney a group of guys put a pile on the ice .. I'm talkin HUGE like 20 ft. high and 50 ft across..  have tried a couple times to find it with no luck..   NW/

Fish On !!!
    Jump to: