What flies?

Author
diddle
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/25 15:25:31 (permalink)

What flies?

Just got a Wind River fly rod combo from Santa. (wonder how he knew?)
I am just starting to flyfish.  What flies & sizes should I purchase to use for steelhead. I know some of the basics wooly bugger, eggs but not too sure about others. Can't wait to hit the water. 

13 Replies Related Threads

Ginnis
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: What flies? 2010/12/25 18:09:00 (permalink)
    hey pal, just take your nymphs.

in all seriousness, there is a search feature that will produce an array of threads on the subject... or someone can respond, engage in some conversation, and rehash the same old. 
    diddle
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: What flies? 2010/12/25 21:38:58 (permalink)
    That would have been a great idea IF the search WORKED! Didn't realize that rehashing hurt so much.
    nor did I realize that there was a limit on the number of times a question could be asked.
    I'll try the NY site. Should have went there instead.
    My mistake was thinking that is what these forums were for.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: What flies? 2010/12/25 21:59:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: diddle

That would have been a great idea IF the search WORKED! Didn't realize that rehashing hurt so much.

It works.

http://tinyurl.com/2ad6vz7

Just sayin'

Or...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=erie+steelhead+flies
    Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 294
    RE: What flies? 2010/12/25 22:37:47 (permalink)

nor did I realize that there was a limit on the number of times a question could be asked.

You gotta take the comments on this site with a grain of salt. There's as much great information as there is sarcasm and ball bustin.

In no particular order, I like to use:

batman nymph sizes 14 & 16
    green caddis sizes 14 & 16
    BH prince nymph sizes 14 & 16
    black & olive wooly buggers sizes 8, 10 & 12
    cream sucker spawn size 14
    peach blood dot egg size 14

Also leader & tippet:

a general rule of thumb is to go lighter the lower and clearer the water and when the fish are heavily pressured

I like to use a 2x 9ft mono leader, remove the last 8-12 inches and blood knot a foot of 3x flouro, tie-on fly of choice and sometimes drop another in tandem. I'll go to 4x or even 5x on those low, clear heavy pressure days.

good luck

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
    ~by Henry David Thoreau~

zoom
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: What flies? 2010/12/25 23:12:55 (permalink)
    Diddle, not really sure why some people are only discouragers. I believe that were are here to learn from each other, buy helping when we can. If someone doesn't want to answer then thats fine. Just doesn't seem be any need for sarcasim.
    This was my first year with a fly rod so not a lot of knowlege myself. Sure had a blast on the creeks this year learning what to do and what NOT to do. I caught my first fly rod steelhead on 20 mile.
    I take a backseat to riverbum. Good people like that give more help (about leader and tippet)than asked because they know!
    Ginnis
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: What flies? 2010/12/26 04:30:36 (permalink)

you must have some trouble with comprehension... I was being sarcastic and really feel the same way you do, but seriously, the search function is working.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: What flies? 2010/12/26 10:19:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Riverbum

You gotta take the comments on this site with a grain of salt. There's as much great information as there is sarcasm and ball bustin.

In no particular order, I like to use:

batman nymph sizes 14 & 16
    green caddis sizes 14 & 16
    BH prince nymph sizes 14 & 16
    black & olive wooly buggers sizes 8, 10 & 12
    cream sucker spawn size 14
    peach blood dot egg size 14

Also leader & tippet:

a general rule of thumb is to go lighter the lower and clearer the water and when the fish are heavily pressured

I like to use a 2x 9ft mono leader, remove the last 8-12 inches and blood knot a foot of 3x flouro, tie-on fly of choice and sometimes drop another in tandem. I'll go to 4x or even 5x on those low, clear heavy pressure days.

good luck

good man river bum... that is what these forums are for...helping... just don't let the swinger know that you use nymphs and tandems...he might have a heart attack :)
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: What flies? 2010/12/27 16:53:37 (permalink)
    Diddle,

As far as flies go, keep it simple.

Steelhead in Erie are not all that picky. The standard patterns you'll see in most fly boxes are as follows:

-Glowbugs Pink, orange, charteuse, cream etc. sizes 12-16
    -Sucker Spawns, same sizes and colors ^^^
    -General nymph patterns (pheasant tails, hairs ears, copper john, bh prince, black stones etc..) sizes 12-18
    -Wooly Buggers, black, gray, olive, charteuse, pink etc..) sizes 6-10

There are too many fly patterns that work for steelhead in Erie for us to mention, but this list gives you a general list of flies that should be easy for you to find. Keep things very simple at first.

Your next question should be about techniques with these flies. Without the right drift, it doesn't matter what's on the end of your line.
    post edited by thedrake - 2010/12/27 16:58:17
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: What flies? 2010/12/27 19:41:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: thedrake

Your next question should be about techniques with these flies. Without the right drift, it doesn't matter what's on the end of your line.

i'll second that... definitely way more important than the fly you're using. try your best to have a natural drag free drift with any of the flies drake mentioned there. maybe even working shallow riffles and pockets from straight up stream while feeding your line straight downstream can be very effective rather than casting and drifting... good luck... and don't be affraid to change up some of the patterns mentioned above by putting your own twinge on them... if i would add anything to the list i would say wooly worm, green machine with a sparse white calf tail or smurf with a sparse white calf tail.
    Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 294
    RE: What flies? 2010/12/27 22:42:55 (permalink)
    +2

the right drift is KHARMA. work the water in a grid-like fashion dead drifting with little to no drag in 3rds, 4ths, etc and swing that fly across the stream toward you at the bottom of the drift-hesitate at the end and slowly lift...persistence & patience are key

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
    ~by Henry David Thoreau~

jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: What flies? 2010/12/29 08:33:36 (permalink)
    Don't get discouraged by some! I'm no expert, but get your basic technique down. Re: what flies - they all work at any given time, so have a variety - buggers, nymphs, etc. and don't be afraid to switch - if one fails = try another!

When the water is very clear and low - go lighter and smaller - smaller fly - smaller tippet ( 2 or 4lb test). Observe - if some one is catching fish - observe techniques and don't be afraid to ask - many will share and the few who won't aren't worth your time!

It's a continuing learning process - what may work today, may not tomorrow! Don't get discouraged - Good luck and good fishing!
    streamerfisher1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: What flies? 2010/12/29 17:43:36 (permalink)
    +1 the drift is everything put whatever fly you choose in the wheel house on a dragfree drift and as often as knot it will most likly get eaten.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: What flies? 2010/12/29 18:45:39 (permalink)
    hey diddle, do you have any experience fly casting???
    Jump to: