• Reward points: 0
2010/12/21 12:24:19 (permalink)

Blacktop Charters

40 Replies Related Threads

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/21 13:57:45 (permalink)
    Man, that is a sad story. The fact that the shooter tried hiding it, shows what type of man he is. I hope he gets what is coming to him.

It IS disturbing to know that there are gun hunters out there that will actually shoot before completely identifying what they're shooting at. No excuses for it, but the combined season sure doesn't help IMO. One of the few reasons I no longer partake in PA gun hunting anymore.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2010/12/21 14:05:29

tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/21 19:02:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

The fact that the shooter tried hiding it, shows what type of man he is.

Does it?  I would think anyone might panic a bit and not do the right thing.  He did confess, that should tell what kind of man he is.

It IS disturbing to know that there are gun hunters out there that will actually shoot before completely identifying what they're shooting at.

The article said he was shooting at a deer.  

No excuses for it, but the combined season sure doesn't help IMO.

Are you saying if doe season wasn't open it wouldn't have happened?

One of the few reasons I no longer partake in PA gun hunting anymore.

Yea, it's really dangerous out there.  It truly is a sport for real men.  Stay home.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/21 22:27:14 (permalink)
    Its always interesting to read threads concerning criminal actions. I find it interesting, because in response to a question about any certain crime, there are really only two types of responses. One response is to vilify the crime/criminal and suggest harsh punishment. The other response is to minimize the crime, shift blame, and suggest low punishments. In police interogations, the person of interest who minimizes and suggests a low punishment is usually the guilty party. In discussions, that person is often someone who has done something similar, or does not feel the act is anything wrong.

Keep that in mind next time theres a thread about road hunting, poaching, keeping illegal limits of fish, or anything like that. Look for the two responses, and you'll know who the poachers and snaggers are. Of course, thats just a generality.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/21 23:04:16 (permalink)
    HANG EM, I SAY HANG EM !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/21 23:06:55 (permalink)
    THEN THERE THE DUMB ***** THAT DONT KNOW ANY BETTER! Right ??
    ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

Its always interesting to read threads concerning criminal actions. I find it interesting, because in response to a question about any certain crime, there are really only two types of responses. One response is to vilify the crime/criminal and suggest harsh punishment. The other response is to minimize the crime, shift blame, and suggest low punishments. In police interogations, the person of interest who minimizes and suggests a low punishment is usually the guilty party. In discussions, that person is often someone who has done something similar, or does not feel the act is anything wrong.

Keep that in mind next time theres a thread about road hunting, poaching, keeping illegal limits of fish, or anything like that. Look for the two responses, and you'll know who the poachers and snaggers are. Of course, thats just a generality.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/22 08:09:26 (permalink)
    and you'll know who the poachers and snaggers are. Of course, thats just a generality

Nothing like hanging someone because of their opinion. Generally, the conservaties are for harsh punishment for crimes and liberals are for lighter sentenses for criminals and try to justify their actions due to upbringing or poverty. I guess all liberals are crooks. Of course, that's just a generality
    jkrunningdeer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/22 08:32:38 (permalink)
    the shooter is a scumbag....he has shot two people and was using an illegal weapon where he was hunting. He is a convicted felon why is he even hunting or in possesion of a firearm?
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/22 09:26:06 (permalink)
    Did you even read the article? Reading and comprehending are two different things.

Does it? I would think anyone might panic a bit and not do the right thing. He did confess, that should tell what kind of man he is.

The article even states that "Ten days after the shooting, Marino admitted that he had been withholding information and told Bucks County Detectives what he knew. And Manilla, after a series of attempts to conceal that he'd killed Groh, confessed Thursday that he was the shooter, say authorities."
    Pretty self explanitory to me....why was it until ten days later, the truth came out?

No it did NOT...go back and read...What he said was He was shooting at what he THOUGHT was a deer....theres a difference. Also hunting with an illegal weapon in Bucks Co. to boot??

"Manilla says he thought he had seen a deer; his bullet, however, found Groh, piercing the avid outdoorsman's upper left arm and chest. He was dead within a minute, authorities say"

So, I don't recall ever seeing any florescent orange deer runnin' around on their hind legs out there...

Not at all...since you obviousy cannot comprehend all that you read, how could you possibly understand someone else's view on something? I'd rather not waste my time.

Yea, it's really dangerous out there. It truly is a sport for real men. Stay home.

Not gun hunting for several reasons, (not JUST this one, which again, you failed to comprehend)it is a personal choice. I still do my part in herd reduction year after year on a consistant basis and I don't even need a gun. But you sir are a true man, I know, because you're a fearless PA rifleman....I get that. Cool!

The guy shot a man and knew it at the time or shortly thereafter the incodent....THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THAT....unless its purely accidental, which this was not or the shot hit someone a long way away. He obviously pulled up on movement and shot to kill. I'm sorry, but nobody should be out there hunting with a gun that does not or CHOOSES not to CLEARLY identify his target before pulling the trigger.

post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2010/12/22 10:00:22

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/22 14:39:23 (permalink)
    "So, I don't recall ever seeing any florescent orange deer runnin' around on their hind legs out there... "

Not that it excuses the shot in any way. The article did state the victim had removed his orange vest prior to the shooting. Though it "appeared" he was wearing his hat, which was found at his feet.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/22 15:49:01 (permalink)
    Boy you just love takin my stuff off!!!!!
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/22 15:54:43 (permalink)
    Did your post get removed ??
    ORIGINAL: carpin06

Boy you just love takin my stuff off!!!!!

carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/22 16:27:04 (permalink)
    Yes it did!!!
    aceboogie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/22 16:46:33 (permalink)
    after that post TULL im wondering if that picture you have up is a self portrait. wow.

"say when..."
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/22 18:16:46 (permalink)
    As a retired Cop I gotta tell ya there are a few people there who will be seriously looked at. I would imagine his close family and friends knew about his past. If that State is like most others he would have been precluded from firearm possession and therefore from a gun hunting liscence -if the news article is accurate about his past convictions.. If thats the case he would have been commitng crimes before this incident even happened.
     In many states a death caused by someone already in the commision of a felony greatly increases the level of the crime committed.
     To call this guy a HUNTER is like calling a bank robber a CUSTOMER.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/22 18:42:44 (permalink)
    Here in NWPA he had a looney shoot and kill a state trooper early in 2010...turns out the judge gave him back his guns and this guy had priors

quite a shame
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/22 18:44:54 (permalink)

Did you even read the article? Reading and comprehending are two different things.

Does it? I would think anyone might panic a bit and not do the right thing. He did confess, that should tell what kind of man he is.

The article even states that "Ten days after the shooting, Marino admitted that he had been withholding information and told Bucks County Detectives what he knew. And Manilla, after a series of attempts to conceal that he'd killed Groh, confessed Thursday that he was the shooter, say authorities."
    Pretty self explanitory to me....why was it until ten days later, the truth came out?

No it did NOT...go back and read...What he said was He was shooting at what he THOUGHT was a deer....theres a difference. Also hunting with an illegal weapon in Bucks Co. to boot??

"Manilla says he thought he had seen a deer; his bullet, however, found Groh, piercing the avid outdoorsman's upper left arm and chest. He was dead within a minute, authorities say"

So, I don't recall ever seeing any florescent orange deer runnin' around on their hind legs out there...

Not at all...since you obviousy cannot comprehend all that you read, how could you possibly understand someone else's view on something? I'd rather not waste my time.

Yea, it's really dangerous out there. It truly is a sport for real men. Stay home.

Not gun hunting for several reasons, (not JUST this one, which again, you failed to comprehend)it is a personal choice. I still do my part in herd reduction year after year on a consistant basis and I don't even need a gun. But you sir are a true man, I know, because you're a fearless PA rifleman....I get that. Cool!

The guy shot a man and knew it at the time or shortly thereafter the incodent....THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THAT....unless its purely accidental, which this was not or the shot hit someone a long way away. He obviously pulled up on movement and shot to kill. I'm sorry, but nobody should be out there hunting with a gun that does not or CHOOSES not to CLEARLY identify his target before pulling the trigger.

Shut up, I read the article.  Just because I didn't jump to conclusions after reading it doesn't mean I have reading comprehension problems.  Do you slander and belittle everyone who disagrees with you?  Maybe you should take 30 minutes and read your avatar some time. 

I can't blame a felon for trying to sneak in some hunting.  I'm not a felon, but I know I'd try to get away with it.  It's too big a part of my life to give up.  IMO there is no excuse for "mistaken for game" violations, however, that's not what was reported.  He said he was shooting at a deer and the victim was not wearing flo orange.  Maybe the victim was actually behind his target.  This is why we have trials with jurys of our peers.  They'll get to the bottom of what actually happened.  I think that beats the lynch mob mentality.

You never explained your statement "No excuses for it, but the combined season sure doesn't help ".

Oh, and I hunt with a rifle and bow since this matters to you.
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/22 18:46:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: aceboogie

after that post TULL im wondering if that picture you have up is a self portrait. wow.

Another violation of the rules.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/22 20:57:07 (permalink)
    Shut up, I read the article. Just because I didn't jump to conclusions after reading it doesn't mean I have reading comprehension problems. Do you slander and belittle everyone who disagrees with you? Maybe you should take 30 minutes and read your avatar some time.

No I don't belittle anyone unless they belittle me...have you forgotten what you wrote?

I never directed my original post toward anyone here, it was merely my opinion in regards to what I read in the article and you jumped all over me. Just defending my thoughts and myself from an attempt of belittling me By the way, the guy WAS oviously wearing orange until he was gunned down. Even though it was just the hat, it was orange nonetheless. Still, ask yourself, do you think you would shoot at a guy even if he was in full camo?

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/22 22:19:18 (permalink)
    My wife walks the Labs from time to time in fields adjacent to woodlands where I and others deer hunt. She chooses to wear orange. Some others walk their dogs there too-they dont wear orange. Its a public area.
     I do NOT believe it would be THEIR fault if they got shot. People  are people and I have yet to meet one who looks like a Deer.
     Now--if they hold a "shoot anything that looks like its moving season" thats another matter.
      I live in a rather populated area and its not uncommon to see kids,dog walkers, hikers etc in the woods-RESPONSIBILITY_RESPONSIBILITY-they teach it first in all the classes -Identify your target.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/22 22:57:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tull66

I can't blame a felon for trying to sneak in some hunting.  I'm not a felon, but I know I'd try to get away with it.

Yep.

OHWM
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/23 05:44:01 (permalink)
    These guys are quite the TURDS of the hunting world!!! This guy and his budies has been doing Illegal actions well hunting for years,And yet still can hunt. Just how do you shoot a person thinking it is a DEER?? I mean really I hunt some pretty thick grounds and seen people walking by and NEVER thought they were wild game. Even shooting at a deer with a 30.06 cal. gun in thick enough woods that you can't see your game clearly is not very smart or ethical. Anybody that dosent think this guy shouldn't have the so called book thrown at him,should maybe have this head looked at!!!!!! A few years ago I had a couple hunter's and a youth hunter take a bunch of shots at some deer running across a field that I was hunting the wood line of. Right in front of me. Let me tell you hearing the bullets hitting the ground and seeing the snow flying from the missed shots was quite distrubing and scary. Needless to say after the talk I had with them and taking their tag numbers I don't think they will do that again. SO OFF WITH HIS HEAD Dave

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/23 08:08:05 (permalink)
    After allowing 10 days to pass before ANYONE of them told the truth to me is cause for all of them to get some sort of punishment... surely he will not be able to keep his lawyer license ????

As a convicted felon I find it hard to believe he was still practicing law anyhow ????
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/23 08:39:06 (permalink)

No I don't belittle anyone unless they belittle me.

...there are gun hunters out there that will actually shoot before completely identifying...

One of those statements needs a retraction to make the other one true.  As a gun hunter, I sure felt belittled.

...and you jumped all over me.

Huh??  I disagreed and explained my position.  If you're that sensitive you better put me on ignore and get a tube of desensitizing gel.  
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/23 08:49:15 (permalink)
    And.....waiting 40 minutes to call the police......and friggin leaving the victim, not trying to help him at all. Then, plugging the barrel of the 30-06 with dirt in an attempt to destroy it's evidentary value?

To me, this story tells EXACTLY what kind of guy this Manilla is.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/23 09:01:38 (permalink)

...shouldn't even take things personal period on this site, IMO.

On this we can agree, but you did.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/23 10:19:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

and you'll know who the poachers and snaggers are. Of course, thats just a generality

Nothing like hanging someone because of their opinion. Generally, the conservaties are for harsh punishment for crimes and liberals are for lighter sentenses for criminals and try to justify their actions due to upbringing or poverty. I guess all liberals are crooks. Of course, that's just a generality

Take a look through the thread, Tull is the only one trying to justify/defend the guy, AND he admitted that if whe were a convicted felon he would illegaly hunt as well. Everyone else wants to throw the book at the guy, but the one person who came to his defense later admitted he'd hunt illegaly as well.

OHWM
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/23 10:33:47 (permalink)
    No Kidding SOZ!

No I don't belittle anyone unless they belittle me.

...there are gun hunters out there that will actually shoot before completely identifying...

"One of those statements needs a retraction to make the other one true. As a gun hunter, I sure felt belittled."
    Yeah go ahead and defend ALL the gun hunters, even the corrupt, just because you're one yourself....ummmm real smart

Some just don't get it and never will! Ummmm yeah READE, beter yet COMPREEHENDD my avotar!!<----the spelling should help ya

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/23 10:37:02 (permalink)
    Did you ever think that maybe he is just jerking your chain You did leave yourself wide open with some of your comments. The guy sure sounds like a dirt bag but the reason for trial by jury is to try and separate the truth from the B.S.
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Very Disturbng... 2010/12/23 10:47:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

Take a look through the thread, Tull is the only one trying to justify/defend the guy, AND he admitted that if whe were a convicted felon he would illegaly hunt as well. Everyone else wants to throw the book at the guy, but the one person who came to his defense later admitted he'd hunt illegaly as well.

I say we lynch him too!!!  **** him, he likes to hunt and is honest about it!!  Yikes!!  He has friends too!!

Man there's a bunch of knuckleheads here.  I didn't justify or defend the guy, just asked we leave it to a jury to decide. 

So sonnyz3....what exactly is the point of your post?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: