LockedFlyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 657
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 18:01:07 (permalink)

What bugs me about bait fishermen in general, including close family friends, is that they seem to feel that catching a fish on a fly makes me a snob. Fly fishermen are viewed as elitist, stuck up, over educated snobs that look down on everyone. That simply isn't true. It's an over-generalization. This, in turn, has caused me to fish more and more with other fly fishermen, and in fly fishing only waters. I don't like being accused of somehow looking down on others just because I fish the way that makes me happy. I'm tired of being told how I don't need expensive gear to catch fish and that its easier to fish with spinning rods. I fish the way I like.

I loved fishing since I was a little kid. It's one of my favorite things in the world. So when somebody comes along and tries to diminish the enjoyment that I derive from it then that ticks me off.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8537
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 18:16:11 (permalink)
""I fish the way that makes me happy. I'm tired of being told how I don't need expensive gear to catch fish and that its easier to fish with spinning rods. I fish the way I like.""

Well said.  
post edited by Mikastorm - 2010/12/10 18:18:17

Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 18:27:11 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

What bugs me about bait fishermen in general, including close family friends, is that they seem to feel that catching a fish on a fly makes me a snob. Fly fishermen are viewed as elitist, stuck up, over educated snobs that look down on everyone. That simply isn't true. It's an over-generalization. This, in turn, has caused me to fish more and more with other fly fishermen, and in fly fishing only waters. I don't like being accused of somehow looking down on others just because I fish the way that makes me happy. I'm tired of being told how I don't need expensive gear to catch fish and that its easier to fish with spinning rods. I fish the way I like.

I loved fishing since I was a little kid. It's one of my favorite things in the world. So when somebody comes along and tries to diminish the enjoyment that I derive from it then that ticks me off.

I can relate with all of that. My experiences have been nearly identical to yours in regards to fly fishing.

This all sounds eerily similar to what goes on in the hunting boards(and in real life). I am an elistist, know-it-all, snobby hunter because I don't kill everything that crosses my path.
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 19:32:21 (permalink)

Once again..... not worth it.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

clinchknot
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 831
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 19:49:51 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ubertracker

These are about as close to native as you can get.. They were probably only 2-6 inches when they were originally stocked. Some might be native, because there are some local tribs that have natural reproduction of browns so some might be native.
ORIGINAL: dimebrite

Remember though; a native river brown will fight much better than a lake runner

I may be a lowly fly fisherman, but I can tell you that there are NO native brown trout in North America. Wild yes, native no.

I don't give a crap if anybody listens to me or not.
deetz4352
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3549
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 20:04:32 (permalink)
ere'  

The Deetz
Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
swinger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1376
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 20:09:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: outfortrout

What bugs me about fly fishermen in general, including members of my own family, is that they seem to feel that catching a fish on a fly is the only "proper" way to catch a trout. Bait/lure fishermen are viewed as ignorant rednecks that kill every fish they catch and throw trash all over the place. That simply isn't true. It's an over-generalization. This, in turn, has caused me to over-generalize that every fly fisherman is an elitist snob. I know that isn't right either.

Well,catching a fish on a fly is the only proper way of catching trout. Bait/lure fishermen are ignorant rednecks that kill every fish and they also litter. But saying that even a handful of fly guysare elitist snobs is just way out of line. I think that you are just upset that you are a low life bait chucker.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 20:17:39 (permalink)
as the originator of the fly rod/fish pics post, i never asked or even cared if someone had expensive equipment. my fly rods are both entry level rods and they are used very little. it isn't about the expense, rather the craft and the art of fly fishing. i have never found fly fishermen to be elitist, though they are raving lunatics about their sport. anyone who will study bugs in a spider web is definitely focused.

as for the fish on the rocks, again never solicited. some hold fish in the water, some in hand, some lay on rocks. many keep fish. if we are to disparage those then we must also look at hunters who show pix of dead deer, turkeys and waterfowl with the same critical eye. i have seen so few fishermen abuse their catch on the tribs, but on saturday morning, i watch pro bass fishermen actually throw fish out away from their boats, their expensive boats.

on the subject of boats, i believe lake fishermen and river fishermen who use boats have way more invested in their equipment than do fly fishermen, but i never here them called elitists. my buddy's lund with all the accoutrements cost him over 32000. big difference from a fly fisherman who may have a few hundred wrapped up in their equipment.

i cannot believe an innocent and simple post would cause so much controversy. i love watching fly fishermen, love hearing them talk, and wish i could be like them, but as the adage implies, you can't teach an old dog..................
post edited by rapala11 - 2010/12/10 20:19:40

rapala11
Pro Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 20:22:00 (permalink)
" Bait/lure fishermen are ignorant rednecks that kill every fish and they also litter. "

swinger, you in the bushes watching me? and i don't litter, i sink everything except my styrofoam worm containers. i burn these.

swinger
Pro Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 20:29:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rapala11

i love watching fly fishermen, love hearing them talk, and wish i could be like them, but as the adage implies, you can't teach an old dog..................

Hey Rap here is a video you may like. Not the best overall video out there but there is some cool stuff in it. http://www.lelandflytv.com/

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
rapala11
Pro Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 20:47:26 (permalink)
b, the first part was absolutely awesome, the second part was absolutely me. funny, but though i fly fish little, i never tire of watching it. i envy you guys who put so much heart into it.

rapala11
Pro Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 20:49:16 (permalink)
when my wife and i would go to volant to kill a saturday, she would cruise the shops there and i was perfectly content to sit outside bob's and watch the brotherhood of long rods ply their trade.

nuff said.

deetz4352
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3549
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 20:53:52 (permalink)
swinger  ,  great vid.  the more I see that kind of fishing/casting the more I want to do it. There is this issue I have thats holding me back......money. I make due with what I have. The first order of business when I have a few extra bucks is to buy myself a switch rod and give it hell trying. To me.. to see the line mended,pulled,twitched and shot out like that opens new doors for me and the fishing I like/want to do. Ill be there some day, "when" is the question I have yet to find. 

The Deetz

The Deetz
Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 657
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 21:25:58 (permalink)
What I posted was pretty close to what outfortrout posted, but from my point of view. Its tounge in cheek, but it really is how I feel. Its just the way I like to fish...

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
Riverbum
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 294
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 21:53:03 (permalink)

Well,catching a fish on a fly is the only proper way of catching trout. Bait/lure fishermen are ignorant rednecks that kill every fish and they also litter. But saying that even a handful of fly guysare elitist snobs is just way out of line. I think that you are just upset that you are a low life bait chucker.

Well, only if you're swing'in that fly.  

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
~by Henry David Thoreau~

NotATroll
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 22:19:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: swinger

What bugs me about fly fishermen in general, including members of my own family, is that they seem to feel that catching a fish on a fly is the only "proper" way to catch a trout. Bait/lure fishermen are viewed as ignorant rednecks that kill every fish they catch and throw trash all over the place. That simply isn't true. It's an over-generalization. This, in turn, has caused me to over-generalize that every fly fisherman is an elitist snob. I know that isn't right either.

To all, Please go to "2010 Fish USA photo contest" thread (it is near the top of the page) and take a look at Post #17. Please admire these photos for awhile and then let me know who the "low lifes" are.
Loopy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1437
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 22:23:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Riverbum

You mean floating that fly.
post edited by Loopy - 2010/12/10 22:24:21

<---  The Holy Trinity
Riverbum
Expert Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 22:54:03 (permalink)

You mean floating that fly.

/quote]

I stand corrected.

"The difference between fly fishers and worm dunkers is the quality of their excuses"

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
~by Henry David Thoreau~

swinger
Pro Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 22:56:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: NotATroll

To all, Please go to "2010 Fish USA photo contest" thread (it is near the top of the page) and take a look at Post #17. Please admire these photos for awhile and then let me know who the "low lifes" are.

Provide a link and I will check it out.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
Eriefisherman69
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 183
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 23:00:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: NotATroll

Kid do you have nothing better to do then to make a new screen name every few days and make everyone on here realize how immature you are

Grow up get a life and move on Josh

Get educated, Get smart, And help. 

Move up or Move Over

Don't wait do something now

Riverbum
Expert Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 23:12:50 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

Fly fishermen are viewed as elitist, stuck up, over educated snobs that look down on everyone. That simply isn't true. It's an over-generalization. This, in turn, has caused me to fish more and more with other fly fishermen, and in fly fishing only waters. I don't like being accused of somehow looking down on others just because I fish the way that makes me happy. I'm tired of being told how I don't need expensive gear to catch fish and that its easier to fish with spinning rods. I fish the way I like.

Fly-fishing is a very pleasant amusement; but angling or float fishing, I can only compare to a stick and a string, with a worm at one end and a fool at the other."
~attributed to Samuel Johnson (a/k/a Dr. Johnson) ("The Great Cham of Literature"),

Attached Image(s)

~by Henry David Thoreau~

fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/11 01:21:10 (permalink)
Idiots give fisherman a bad name, whether its fly or spin, bait or lure, simms or rubber boots, yellow stringer or wicker basket.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
PeteM
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 539
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/11 07:05:13 (permalink)
Geez! So when my buddies gave me a fly rod and taught me how to tie a couple, they weren't doing me any favors, but trying to bring me down r give me a bad name?

I'd have never guessed!

rapala11
Pro Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/11 07:52:35 (permalink)
i have been fishing for almost 50 years now and i can honestly say that i have never once had a problem with a fly fisherman. i have had encounters from others though. yet, i remain an uncompromising spin fisherman.

i need to move into pa somewhere.

NotATroll
New Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/11 08:23:47 (permalink)
http://forums.fishusa.com/2010_FishUSA_photo_contest/m_346236/tm.htm

Look at Post #17. These are some of the fly guys that bashed Dr. Trout! Not one negative comment about these pics from the "flyfishing ethics club" on here- what a joke!
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/11 08:27:19 (permalink)
You mean the one's that got banned from this sight ???

Big difference in a gut hooked smallmouth in July laying on a dry rock  wouldn't you say...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Eriefisherman69
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 183
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/11 08:30:16 (permalink)
Right on Troll   Of Josh  Or  whatever your name is this week       

I have an idea for your next screen name..............   Supertroll

Get educated, Get smart, And help. 

Move up or Move Over

Don't wait do something now

NotATroll
New Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/11 09:18:18 (permalink)
I guess I don't see a difference- in both examples the fish got the same result- death. This leads to what I believe is uber's original point. Why did Dr. Trout catch a bunch of chit and the fly guys did not?
Ginnis
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/11 09:25:00 (permalink)
you know... you guys are the ones with no time on your hands.

eriefisherman, this is my sn for the week, not the other.

that pic... was in spite of making fun of raz for a fish he caught that was bleeding... literally.   and yes, i bashed it's head because i hate to see fish suffer that I'm actually go to creel. 
Ginnis
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/11 09:27:41 (permalink)
i made fun of dr. trout because he needs to come to a self-realization..

his writing/photography sucks, not saying mine is immaculate, but seriously, if people are actually entertained by his writing, they lack any sense of good reading material.

... eagerly awaiting responses.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to: