LockedFlyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 13:26:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ubertracker

Actually no i didnt make it up, i actually heard that one in the local tackle shop.. Twice by two different people.

Clearly they were spin fishermen. Fly fishermen do not enter "Tackle shops" we only enter "fly shops".
ubertracker
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 13:27:53 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SteelSlayer77

I can see why some people think of fly fishermen as elitist snobs.

Not all fly fisherman are elitist snobs.  The elitist snobs are the guys that give me a hard time about using live minnows on my fly rod setup all the time.  Maybe it's not technically fly fishing, but who cares.  Why shouldn't I be able to use a live minnow on my fly rod if I want?  Why do some fly fisherman get so upset about another person using natural bait on their fly rod?

I have grown up spin fishing live minnows for trout since I was a very little kid.  I feel confident using them, and usually catch more fish than most or all of the people around me in any conditions.  I fish minnows on a fly rod, because I like the more manual approach of stripping the line in by hand, the ability to use lighter tippet because of the longer softer rod, the more aggressive strikes, and the feel of the rod when fighting a fish. 

I just can't bring myself to use an artificial bait like a woolly bugger or a streamer to imitate a minnow, when I can just use the real thing.  I've used woolly buggers and streamers in trout streams for several years now, and my opinion is that there is absolutely no comparison between the artificial streamer and using a live minnow for trout when both are fished the same way.

I have nothing wrong with what you are doing, I could careless what a person does as long as its legal. I am sure, and I'm sure the fly fishermen will back me up on this, but isn't so much which is better the minnow or the fly imitating the minnow, its the fact that they created something with their own hands, and were able to manipulate their creation in a manor to fool the fish, therefore creating a greater feeling of accomplishment.
post edited by ubertracker - 2010/12/10 13:29:14
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 657
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 13:29:08 (permalink)
Steel Slayer: Do you tie your own flies? Thats a big part of what makes the fish caught such a success for me. For pure fish catching you're right, live bait almost always does the job. When you make your own flies, especially when you invent the pattern, it adds an extra sense of accomplishment for some of us. You already know where the fish are at, what they'll bite, and how to get them to bite, but can you get them to bite something you create from wire and feathers and thread? Just trying to explain part of what makes flies preferable to bait for some people.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
ubertracker
Avid Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 13:29:59 (permalink)
ha, i beat you to it sonofz3 :)
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 657
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 13:31:38 (permalink)
Darn! I should've learned to type with more than two fingers...

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 13:33:00 (permalink)
post edited by FiveMilePete - 2010/12/12 01:14:02
ubertracker
Avid Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 13:47:09 (permalink)
One was, and one wasn't. The one who was, was an older gentlemen who was in the tackle store to purchase a hunting license.... dont know many fly shops that sell hunting licenses.
The other who was a spinner, used super ultra-lite equip, and saw a few of my pics and was very adamant about hoping i released them.. basically giving me the whole catch and release preaching, yet bragged about "there's nothing like catching a lunker trout or smallie and fighting it for 45 minutes"
Still think im making it up.. Im not.

ORIGINAL: D-nymph

Actually no i didnt make it up, i actually heard that one in the local tackle shop.. Twice by two different people.

Clearly they were spin fishermen. Fly fishermen do not enter "Tackle shops" we only enter "fly shops".

post edited by ubertracker - 2010/12/10 13:49:35
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5028
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 13:50:12 (permalink)
You better put me on your BLOCKED list then...
I like taking pics of fish and don't really car who likes it or not...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 13:56:00 (permalink)
they're just dumb fish

go back to spain
11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
ubertracker
Avid Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 14:04:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Bings, I never said i was offended by any of the pics.. To each is his own, i was annoyed with the fact that some on here in the past have been ripped on for posting pics, by some of those who posted and some of those werent even bad pics, but no one had anything negative to those pics of fish in sand, or in dirt... Do I care... nope.. like I said, for all i know who ever posted thos pics, threw them on the stringer and took them home and smoked'em up.
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 14:11:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: outfortrout

I agree 100% with what ubertracker. In fact I'll take it a step farther. I don't have a problem with fly fishing. I have a problem with fly fishermen. In general I just don't like ya'll very much.

You wouldn't know me if you tripped over me.

Zoo guy giving Zoo guys a bad name?
post edited by mohawksyd - 2010/12/10 14:12:35

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 14:25:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4913
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 14:26:11 (permalink)

One was, and one wasn't. The one who was, was an older gentlemen who was in the tackle store to purchase a hunting license.... dont know many fly shops that sell hunting licenses.
The other who was a spinner, used super ultra-lite equip, and saw a few of my pics and was very adamant about hoping i released them.. basically giving me the whole catch and release preaching, yet bragged about "there's nothing like catching a lunker trout or smallie and fighting it for 45 minutes"
Still think im making it up.. Im not.

Those that told you that they fought a trout or smallmouth for 45 minutes are the same ones telling their wives or girlfriends that 3 inches is a foot.

By the way, that is sarcasm, in case you couldn't decipher it.

The only fish I have ever had on a flyrod that took 45 minutes to land were about 5 -6 feet long, weighed over 100 pounds, were really silver in color, and required being bowed to now and again.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
ubertracker
Avid Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 14:36:01 (permalink)
Oh i am sure there was a lot of embellishment... understood that as the guy is telling me this, but still in the current in this river, one could fight a trout 30+ for a very long time if it gets int the current and runs down river and are using ultra lite gear. So they could be fought for a lengthy period of time.
Do i belive this guy fought it for 45 mintues.. he might have, but probably not. but we will never know.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9818
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 14:37:32 (permalink)

Why do some fly fisherman get so upset about another person using natural bait on their fly rod?

Using minnows on a flyrod is one of the hardest types of fishing that I have ever tried. That and bread on a hook with a flyrod. Flyrods are great for finessing a small offering. But definitely not made to fling baits that need a little finess to stay on a hook, especially far. I have no issue with anyone using any type of bait on any type of rod (as long as it is legal). I do own a variety of styles, and try to use the type that best suits the conditions though. I'd personally use minnows on a noodle or other spinning rod to lessen the frustration that I had casting the minnows off of the hook with a flyrod. But if you enjoy what you are doing, keep doing! You are obviously doing it better than my experience with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if you got a few strange looks though. Not all are elitists. Some very well may have done what you are doing, and didn't have much luck doing it. Honestly, if I saw you doing it, I'd probably laugh a little, only thinking back to when I tried and some of the words flying from my mouth in frustration!
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 14:43:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys
Those that told you that they fought a trout or smallmouth for 45 minutes are the same ones telling their wives or girlfriends that 3 inches is a foot.

By the way, that is sarcasm, in case you couldn't decipher it.

Nice.

Then again, the kind of crusty bait dunker that would try that would only be able to get a girl dumb enough to believe them. Funny how that works out.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 14:44:31 (permalink)
Teens plus steel can fight for 30 plus minutes... that is in rivers not creeks though
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 14:49:53 (permalink)

I agree 100% with what ubertracker. In fact I'll take it a step farther. I don't have a problem with fly fishing. I have a problem with fly fishermen. In general I just don't like ya'll very much.

but i like you
ubertracker
Avid Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 14:54:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

Teens plus steel can fight for 30 plus minutes... that is in rivers not creeks though

These are river trout. A 30+ inch brown, in a strong current can be on for a long period of time. I could definatly see 30+ even 45 minutes... but did the guy telling me the story actually do what he said.. I seriously doubt it, but it can only be an assumption cuz no one else is there but him. Its his story.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 15:03:55 (permalink)
Remember though; a native river brown will fight much better than a lake runner
outfortrout
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 15:06:19 (permalink)
What bugs me about fly fishermen in general, including members of my own family, is that they seem to feel that catching a fish on a fly is the only "proper" way to catch a trout. Bait/lure fishermen are viewed as ignorant rednecks that kill every fish they catch and throw trash all over the place. That simply isn't true. It's an over-generalization. This, in turn, has caused me to over-generalize that every fly fisherman is an elitist snob. I know that isn't right either.

I loved fishing since I was a little kid. It's one of my favorite things in the world. So when somebody comes along and tries to diminish the enjoyment that I derive from it then that ticks me off.

dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 15:06:49 (permalink)
outfortrout
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 15:12:37 (permalink)
Maybe I'll make it my New Years resolution not to get so upset by other fishermen. I was going to try and lose some weight but that probably wasn't going to happen anyway. This I might at least have a chance with.
ubertracker
Avid Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 15:18:30 (permalink)
These are about as close to native as you can get.. They were probably only 2-6 inches when they were originally stocked. Some might be native, because there are some local tribs that have natural reproduction of browns so some might be native.
ORIGINAL: dimebrite

SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 489
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 15:44:52 (permalink)
. I'd personally use minnows on a noodle or other spinning rod to lessen the frustration that I had casting the minnows off of the hook with a flyrod. But if you enjoy what you are doing, keep doing! You are obviously doing it better than my experience with it.

Porktown,  I thread my minnows on the line using a needle through their mouth and out their butt, they never come off the hook this way.  This also allows you to more aggressively work the minnow through the current and twitch it around in a more natural way, rather than just hooking the lip or tail and drifting it.

You can't create a whip with your fly line when fishing minnows or cast a mile away, because the hook will go through the minnow.  But for Steelhead fishing in Erie and on most of the trout streams I fish in PA, I never need to cast very far or have ever had any problems at all with this method.

I've been averaging 8 - 12 fish a trip out of 6 trips this year using this method, when most of the guys around me have been landing about 2 - 3 a day.   In past years, when we had better returns, I would have 30+ fish days on a regular basis.
jolie
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 15:50:38 (permalink)

What bugs me about fly fishermen in general,...., is that they seem to feel that catching a fish on a fly is the only "proper" way to catch a trout. Bait/lure fishermen are viewed as ignorant rednecks that kill every fish they catch and throw trash all over the place.

+1(00)! Thats exactly right outfortrout.

that's the attitude that really bugs me. Thankfully, not all fly fishermen are like that.  In fact, some are pretty awesome guys.  BTW, I wouldn't refer to uber as a troll. he noticed something hypocritical about some peoples posting- that doesn't make him a troll.
ubertracker
Avid Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 16:03:59 (permalink)
haha.. someone referred to me as a troll? Thats actually pretty funny. also commented about it being cabin fever..thats also funny since i am only home long enough to get 6 or so hours of sleep and then its off to work and then fish all night.. but hey.. what do they know.
yep.. i was fishing in the nasty snow storm every night.. yeah.. dont think i got any cabin fever.
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 16:29:20 (permalink)

(not 45 minutes as some have bragged about)

Please show me where someone has bragged about playing a brown trout for 45 minutes. I think you made that up.

I'm calling bullsht, too. Nobody brags about playing a trout for 45 minutes.
ubertracker
Avid Angler
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 16:31:31 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: thedrake

(not 45 minutes as some have bragged about)

Please show me where someone has bragged about playing a brown trout for 45 minutes. I think you made that up.

I'm calling bullsht, too. Nobody brags about playing a trout for 45 minutes.

You can call it what you want, i was simply quoting a guy.
post edited by ubertracker - 2010/12/10 16:35:08
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9818
RE: Flyfishermen give flyfishermen a bad name. 2010/12/10 17:24:43 (permalink)

out their butt

You said butt...

Sounds like rigging an eel.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to: