Winter Blues?

Author
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/10 00:56:45 (permalink)

Winter Blues?

I came home from the winter band concert tonight and noticed that my fishing gear is still in the back of the Escape. Can't remember the last time it wasn't. I kind of chuckled.

Sat down with a glass of something flammable going over my Christmas "to do" list and started thinking...

I'm closing in on the end of my first year with the fly rod. And as my Dad, who gave it to me for Christmas last year, had hoped, it's really opened new avenues to explore. I've fished in more often, in more places, and met some great folks along the way...including some quality fishermen from this site alone, whose help, encouragement, and acquaintence are just something you can't get from a You Tube video. And through all the frustration, confusion, & stupid new guy questions I've had an absolute blast. From that first rainbow to the big brownie to that first steelhead, it's been a big time rush. And while there's still time left to get astream, I find my fishing adrenaline levels going the way of the thermometer on my deck.

So my next in what has been a series of newbie questions is simply, "Now what?" Winter is settling in quickly. Is this the end of the line (okay...pun intended) for what's been a really fantasmagoric splendor? And if so, what will you do with the winter ahead of you? Will you light up the ice fishing forum with daily pics of hard water success? Will you retreat to the basement and tie hundreds of flies in anticipation of the Spring thaw? Perhaps plan a trip across the state to some new location you've read and/or heard so much about that next year is YOUR year to try it?

In short, what do you do to keep the fly fishing freak flag flying through the frigid fall of the Fahrenheit?
post edited by mohawksyd - 2010/12/10 00:58:27

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

8 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Winter Blues? 2010/12/10 05:40:32 (permalink)
    Hey Mohawk, I think I have an answer. Send me a pm if you're interested.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: Winter Blues? 2010/12/10 06:54:55 (permalink)
    There's always some place for me to fish if I can get myself to put up with the cold.
    Yesterday, I took a quick drive north and there were couple of Lk Erie tribs that looked very fishble.
    Driving 25 miles to the south, we have the tailwater on the Allegheny River.
    If I really get the itch for trout, Spring Cr. in n. central PA is less than 3 hrs.
    SR in NY is less than 4 hrs., a bit to far for a day trip.

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Winter Blues? 2010/12/10 07:49:42 (permalink)
    i sort out my congested fly boxes to see what i need to tie for next season.
    if it gets warm enough that my line doesn't freeze up i'll steelhead fish or find a nearby trout stream.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Winter Blues? 2010/12/10 08:46:02 (permalink)
    Just watch the weather and get up to erie when you can. I've had wonderful fishing the last week of December and the first week of January. If you get out in early January, then you only have two months max of non-fishing to wait until early spring steelhead. DHALO areas start getting stocked in March as well.

Tie flies, read fishing books, go hunting, and stay warm!

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Winter Blues? 2010/12/10 10:01:58 (permalink)
    Fish tailwaters or spring creeks.

Tie flies.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Winter Blues? 2010/12/10 10:38:23 (permalink)
    Great question Syd!
    Although I do like the seasons changing I have to admit that the freezing weather settling in is not something I enjoy like I used to... to add to the normal complaints of increased arthritis aches and pains and heating costs and winter roads there is definitely a 'cabin fever' side of it also.
    To get around it at our house we tend to organize, inventory and update equipment as needed, watch (or rewatch) videos about fishing and boating, read up on new areas we may be able to visit the following year and make some longer trips to visit fishing expos just to get away for a day once in a while.
    I found this site last winter (February I believe) while doing internet searches on random fishing methods (I think I was on a 'trolling techniques' kick that day). There is an unlimited amount of info out there to be found with just a few simple searches.
    One other thing we have done just to get out was ice fish a farm pond just to get a few bluegill for the frying pan. Remember that ice fishing doesn't need to be complicated or a full day trip... farm pond trips can be very fun, short and productive.
    Maybe schedule a short trip south somewhere for some fishing time, doesn't need to be a big long trip with an expensive charter, just a long weekend get away mid winter to break up the blues with a few hours of fishing to help scratch the itch. Find somewhere with alternative activities to make an interesting exploration trip out of it...or go to one of the bigger fishing expos down south and make a weekend out of it...
    Good luck and keep watching for opportunities, they are out there!
    steelhound
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 453
    RE: Winter Blues? 2010/12/10 11:05:10 (permalink)
    This is the best time of year for steelhead and I like fishing Neshanock creek. No winter blues just oskars blues (old chub) this
    time of year
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Winter Blues? 2010/12/10 11:16:17 (permalink)
    Hey syd I fish the salmon river the entire winter every year. if you need any info for pointers I would be willing to share just send me a pm. no need for blues this is my favorite time of year and the fishing pressure is much more sparse. a great time of year up there is when the late january thaw comes which sometimes it actully in the beginning of february
    Jump to: