Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6387
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/06 20:19:41 (permalink)

Personal Responsibility.

Gentlemen, I have to take some time to point out a failing on the part of some members of this board. And I expect to get a LOT of flack about it but here goes. Recently there has been a lot of whining and moaning about the property above the Legion Hole being posted. Here's a news flash! IT HAS BEEN POSTED FOR YEARS! At least for the last 12-14. Yet the land owner has been gracious enough to allow people WHO ASK PERMISSION, in person, to use his property.
But this does not mean that if I have permission, which I have had, then everyone else automatically has permission. The gentleman who owns the property wants to actually see you and find out a little about you BEFORE he grants permission. And in some cases he says NO. It is his right as a landowner.
In the past month there have been posted signs placed along the creek, within good viewing distance of the creek bed, and they have been torn down by idiots. That's right; I called somebody idiots. Once, the signs weren't even up for two hours, and a fellow fisherman who was fishing below the signs saw the destruction happen.
In another instance, a man was caught sneaking in to the property, past posted signs, and was asked to leave by the land owner. And the miscreant threatened the land owner with physical violence. Now THAT's a really good way to keep the creek open.
So all I am saying is: be responsible for your actions. We all know the land is posted. Don't go looking for loopholes. There are none! Posted means keep OUT. Unless you have written permission to be there.
Also there is no secret group that has leased the property. There are people who have asked, in person, for fishing access. And they obey the landowners wishes. To whit: No trash, don't come on the land during the first part of deer season, don't clean, gut, or bleed fish on the property. Don't camp on the property, don't crowd the property, (if you see more than 5 cars kindly move along) and don't park where you aren't supposed to. Oh yeah, how do you know where you are supposed to park? Ding, Ding, Ding! You freeking ASK PERMISSION! DUH!
Now I know that in some cases I'm preaching to the choir. And by the landowners admission many of the worst violators have been people who are not "local". So We, who want to see the land remain open, must police our own.
So if you are fishing above the legion hole and you see someone who is heading up into the posted water, you have three choices; You can speak up, and note who the person is, you can just ignore the occurance, or you can join them figuring they can't arrest you all. Which two of the last three options will work out best for us all.
I would also like to add that there has been another lease signed along ELK, and it was signed because of fisherman indifference to the wishes of the landowner. Oh, and the person who leased the land is the same one who has other leases.
So guys, How about a little responsibility? Take some pride, and help police the fishery, or it may soon be gone. I can remember when I could walk from Folleys to the Legion Hole, and when you could fish 20 mile from the lake to I-90 and it was all lost due to irresponsible actions.
Don't pizz and moan about guides, or individuals (like me) who take the time to actually get out and meet the landowners, and ask permission. Do your own homework, get your own permission, and be happy. And NO I'm not going to tell you where to go or who to see. If it's that valuable to you that you take the time to complain. You can take the time to search and ask. AND if YOU ask, that doesn't mean that 25 of your buddies automatically have permission. Just YOU.
Thanks for taking the time to read my rant. I know it was unnecessary for many but is was imperative for a few.
post edited by indsguiz - 2010/12/07 09:02:55

Illegitimis Non carborundum

128 Replies Related Threads

HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/06 20:39:54 (permalink)
    Good rant and a rant that everyone should read and take to heart .
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 07:38:03 (permalink)
    Hmmm... This topic was discussed by myself about the same area at the local flyshop with some individiuals who are part of some local fishing and fly tying groups who have a different take on what's going on with the same property we're talking about here.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 09:37:12 (permalink)
    A number of years ago I was fishing in that area with a friend who knows the landowner and had permission to fish there.  My friend was a little down stream from me and out of sight of the landowner when he appeared and started asking why I was fishing there, didn't I understand this was private property, etc...  I explained to him I was fully aware of that and was with my friend who he knew and allowed to fish there.  After I told him that and apologized for upsetting him, he calmed down and said he did not mind me being there.  We had a short talk and when he saw my friend coming up stream, he knew I was not trying to put something over on him.

Being respectful and respecting the wishes of the landowner is critical to keeping up good relationships with them.

As for the slobs, I honestly do not have a clue as to how to deal with them.  You can say something to them, but more often than not they will not heed your warning.  It is obvious that they have no respect for the landowners, and I would expect they will have none for you either.  These idiots have tunnel vision and that is doing what they want and to heck with everyone else.

pax vobiscum +
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 09:54:09 (permalink)
    It is my understanding that as of late, this land owner is getting pretty tired of people trying to sneak on via tressle and even limiting the use of his land by some of the locals as well. It is my feeling that it will soon be off limtis to ALL because he seems to be growing tired of dealing with the whole situation of letting people fish and then get taken total advantage of. I would too.

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 10:25:00 (permalink)
    Uh, hate to point this out but... Personal Responsibility and this country today = Oxymoron

If you can figure out how to re-instill that you will solve 90% of our problems, just sayin'

Good post tho...
    post edited by bulldog1 - 2010/12/07 10:27:47
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 10:27:01 (permalink)
    Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 294
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 11:11:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

It is my understanding that as of late, this land owner is getting pretty tired of people trying to sneak on via tressle and even limiting the use of his land by some of the locals as well. It is my feeling that it will soon be off limtis to ALL because he seems to be growing tired of dealing with the whole situation of letting people fish and then get taken total advantage of. I would too.

I wouldn't fault him if he did. He shouldn't have to police his own property demanding some common courtesy. There are too many jackwagons out there that think rules don't apply to them and have no respect for anything.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 11:14:01 (permalink)
    I've said it before and I'll say it again... There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for NOT knowing whose property you are on!

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 12:16:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Loopy

Hmmm... This topic was discussed by myself about the same area at the local flyshop with some individiuals who are part of some local fishing and fly tying groups who have a different take on what's going on with the same property we're talking about here.

You care to explain or are you in "conspiracy theory" here???
    paul2ski
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 12:30:07 (permalink)
    Ironhed, I do agree that pleading ignorance is no answer, but how do you expect anyone to know who's property they are on when even land surveyors don't know exactly when and where property lines are. I had an interesting situation happen w/ a friend of mine who has been living in an area, his own property for years, and wasn't aware of the exact property line, and neither was the local administrators. They had to go back into the book of records from over 100+ years ago to figure out what exactly the property lines were.

So how do you expect someone from out of state, or even locals from knowing exactly what land they are on and whose property it is. I mean I have fished probably over 60 times this steelhead season, and haven't run into any of the property owners except for the centerpin fisherman who owns the posted bank of Manchester Hole. Is there a guide or booklet that shows exactly what property is posted what is not posted how to get there, who owns the property, etc etc... not that I know of. Oh and just for reference I have read all the stream guides on fisherie, have looked through the fishing maps on the Fish commissions websites and none of these show exactly where posted property is and where open access is to the detail of, oh I am 100 feet over the property line of Joe the Plumber, better go back.
    paul2ski
    Novice Angler
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 12:35:04 (permalink)
    I mean according to your logic, I would compare it to, there is NO EXCUSE for not knowing every law and rule in our government state, local and federal, but I would bet a dollar you didnt know that in Pennsylvania it is ILLEGAL to tie a dollar bill to a string and pull it away from someone.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 12:36:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Ironhed

I've said it before and I'll say it again... There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for NOT knowing whose property you are on!

Ironhed

My thoughts exactly.... and if you truly don't know if you're allowed there, don't step foot on it.

post edited by thedrake - 2010/12/07 12:38:58
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 12:51:35 (permalink)
    It is difficult to know exactly where you are and who owns what, but the issue here is people either knowingly trespassing on posted land or ripping down posted signs thinking that somehow if there is no sign they can trespass.

There are some areas that are very clearly posted, just go find one of DB's leases and unless you are blind you cannot miss his signs. 

I have advocated for years there should be a very clear system of signs to indicate where land is open to the public, where land is open to fishing by permission only and where land is posted no trespassing.  This could easily be done with color coded, hi-vis signs; green open to the public, yellow fishing with permission only, red no trespassing.  The signs could be provided to the landowners and volunteers could help post them.  With a system like that, it would be very clear where you can and cannot fish.  The areas could be changed at anytime by the landowner.  It is their call.

Another idea I have advocated for years is a stream warden or stream watcher program.  This would be a group of volunteers who fish certain parts of the streams regularly, who know the landowners and can communicate the landowners desires to the people who may be fishing the stream.  They would meet regularly with the landowners to discuss problems, could report trespassers to the Fish Commission or State Police, keep an eye on the landowners property for them and just be another set of eyes watching for problems on the streams like illegal dumping, log jams that could cause problems, flooding issues, litter clean up, etc...  They would not be law enforcers or anything like that, but rather fisherman who care about the streams and the land and want to help maintain a good relationship with the landowners.

Both of these ideas could be put into place with a little organization and minimal cost.

pax vobiscum +
    Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 13:10:47 (permalink)
    Hand in hand to this thread...

Hunter cited for shooting deer in median of I-80
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010
    The Associated Press

ROCKTON, Pa. -- State police say they've cited a central Pennsylvania man for shooting on or across a highway after the man killed a deer in a wooded median on Interstate 80 in Clearfield County.
    State police in Du Bois say they cited Erich May, of State College, after the incident Saturday evening in Union Township, near mile marker 107.
    Mr. May did not immediately return a call for comment Tuesday, but a woman who answered the phone says he has yet to be notified of the charge.
    State police issued a news release indicating that the citation was issued after Mr. May shot a deer while "hunting in a wooded area in the median of I-80."

Copyright
    document.write(new Date().getFullYear());
    2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

First published on December 7, 2010 at 9:52 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10341/1108929-100.stm#ixzz17RyzTE62

I'm starting to think the state should also administer an IQ test before awarding licenses.

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 13:22:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Riverbum

The Associated Press

ROCKTON, Pa. -- State police say they've cited a central Pennsylvania man for shooting on or across a highway after the man killed a deer in a wooded median on Interstate 80 in Clearfield County.
    State police in Du Bois say they cited Erich May, of State College, after the incident Saturday evening in Union Township, near mile marker 107.
    Mr. May did not immediately return a call for comment Tuesday, but a woman who answered the phone says he has yet to be notified of the charge.
    State police issued a news release indicating that the citation was issued after Mr. May shot a deer while "hunting in a wooded area in the median of I-80."

Copyright
    2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I'm starting to think the state should also administer an IQ test before awarding licenses.

Opening day of deer season this year, I was driving, just before dark, on Rt. 43, the toll road near Brownsville, PA. A guy and a young child, probably 12-14 years old, were hunting the wooded median! I couldn't believe my eyes.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 13:25:42 (permalink)
    Stupid is as stupid does....  What an idiot.

pax vobiscum +
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 13:28:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bughawk

Stupid is as stupid does....  What an idiot.

I was, and maybe still am, holding out hope that they tracked a deer that may have been shot nearby, crossed the interstate and laid down in the median. Hard to tell, they both had scoped rifles, not shotguns.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 13:48:54 (permalink)
    I guess that could be the case with the guys you saw.  My comment was more directed to the moron hunting on I 80.  I would bet the farm there are whole bunch of laws that guy broke.

pax vobiscum +
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 14:55:48 (permalink)
    Ironhed, I do agree that pleading ignorance is no answer, but how do you expect anyone to know who's property they are on...

No, there are no "buts"!  None.
    If you don't know where a boundary is, stay well away from it.  Period.

You mentioned a lot of tools when it comes to doing your homework BUT you failed to mention the most important one...knocking on a door!

The internet is great and all but it doesn't do everything.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 15:01:05 (permalink)
    I mean according to your logic, I would compare it to, there is NO EXCUSE for not knowing every law and rule in our government state, local and federal, but I would bet a dollar you didnt know that in Pennsylvania it is ILLEGAL to tie a dollar bill to a string and pull it away from someone.

There is only one law in this situation that needs to be known and that's trespassing!

Although I think quite a few WCO's would disagree, I also think most know that it's illegal.

Did you get pinched for pulling the "dollar bill/string"-prank on someone or what?

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 15:14:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: paul2ski

...how do you expect anyone to know who's property they are on when even land surveyors don't know exactly when and where property lines are...

Kind of the exception to the rule, though. I have to believe that these people know where the lines are. It's too popular of an area to have that type of ambiguity.

I'm too new to find my way around without those maps (and a GPS). And thus far, for every place I've gone, those maps were accurate enough that I didn't have to worry about being "out of bounds." If you're on the border, you've gone too far.

It's been my experience that some landowners (in areas NOT on the tribs) don't MIND if you access their properties so long as they know that you are there. Other landowners may be so ecstatic that someone was actually considerate enough to ASK, they'd grant you permission on that basis alone.

Ultimately, it's up to the SPORTSMEN to make the difference.
    post edited by mohawksyd - 2010/12/07 15:21:49

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 16:44:46 (permalink)
    I guess I need to find another line of work. Everyone's a surveyor now. 42 years of work up in smoke....WF
    paul2ski
    Novice Angler
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 18:29:15 (permalink)
    haha WF only total respect for you man!!

I wasn't trying to start a debate I was just a little irritated that one would say there is no excuse for people not knowing things that are almost impossible to know... hence why people put up posted signs, like the areas with cables across the creek that have a big NO Trespassing signs on them, they are definitely the most straightforward, you have no excuse if you see that and continue.

I too however would be the first one to be irritated if I had some private property and people were trespassing on it. My father who grew up in Wisconsin has had experiences fishing on public water (you can't own the water or stream bed in Wisconsin) and has had landowners run out with shot guns telling him and his friends to get off. Even though he knew he wasn't breaking any laws or rules the guy would have still shot him if he hadn't left.

Oh and unfortunately no on the money string prank, wish I had a cool story about that but I just "googled" crazy PA laws :-P
    post edited by paul2ski - 2010/12/07 18:30:02
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 19:24:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Riverbum

The Associated Press

Copyright

The guy found a great way to avoid the crowds.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 19:33:18 (permalink)
    I think we may be splitting hairs when we are talking about knowing exactly where you are.  I understand what Ironhed is saying that you should be aware of the land you are on and there is no excuse for being somewhere that you have no business being.  I also realize that it is nearly impossible without finding a boundary marker to know exactly where a property line is.  Both of these understanding are true and correct. 

The major issue I see here is intent.  As a fisherman if you will fish any where you want irregardless of the desires of the landowner, your intent is not to follow the law and trespassing is not an issue for you.  If however you are trying to pay attention to fishing only in places where you are welcome, but honestly wonder onto property that you are not welcomed because you cannot determine the exact property line, then that is an honest mistake if the property line is not clearly marked.  I will say once you have determined where the line is, you have no excuse for trespassing in the future.

I realize that a property owner has no obligation to post their land and can ask to have anyone on their land to be removed for trespassing.  I do however wonder why a person who does not want people on their land does not clearly post it.  That way it is absolutely clear what their intent is.

pax vobiscum +
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 19:39:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ironhed

Ironhed, I do agree that pleading ignorance is no answer, but how do you expect anyone to know who's property they are on...

No, there are no "buts"!  None.
    If you don't know where a boundary is, stay well away from it.  Period.

You mentioned a lot of tools when it comes to doing your homework BUT you failed to mention the most important one...knocking on a door!

The internet is great and all but it doesn't do everything.

Ironhed

I agree completely.

As a hunter/fisher/outdoorsperson you will likely be using someone elses property for your use a considerable amount of the time. It is YOUR responsibility to know where the property lines are.

It is a shame how many tards are out there that think they think a fishing/hunting license entitles them to any property they choose.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 19:44:13 (permalink)
    Paul,

Here's a pretty simple rule of thumb. If you're walking up/down stream, and encounter a NO TRESSPASSING sign. Stop walking in that direction

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 19:57:06 (permalink)
    Knowing where you are is important, but knowing exactly where the property lines are exactly is not always easy.  I hunt some land where about 5 or 6 different properties intersect.  I went out with one of the landowners to see where the property lines are.  The landowner was not able to determine exactly where his property ended and his brother's farm began.  We found an old fence that he believed was the boundary, but he was not completely sure.  We also looked to find the other property lines and were unsuccessful in finding any boundary markers.  I talked with several of the other landowners and they too were not clear to exactly where their property lines were.  The best I got was it is "somewhere around here". 

The bottom line is the landowners I talked with were OK with me hunting on their land, but I am not clear as to exactly where their land is nor where they.  In this case, it does not matter exactly on whose land I am on or where the property lines are as no one was sure who really owned what.  I am sure there are boundary markers, but finding them was nearly impossible.

There was another place I used to hunt there was a very clear property line.  There was a barbed wire fence, posted signs and the landowner who patrolled the perimeter of his property with a gun and a rather aggressive dog.  If you crossed into his property you were told in no uncertain terms you had to leave at once or you would be shot.  Needless to say, I never ventured onto that property or dealt with that guy.  

pax vobiscum +
    outfortrout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Personal Responsibility. 2010/12/07 20:35:09 (permalink)
    What is "the rule" as far as issues like this are concerned? Do property owners own right up to the creek bed or is there a certain amount of space given? I'm guessing that it's right up to the creek bed but would like to know for sure.
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to: