Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Lucky Craft Man
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/02 20:22:07 (permalink)

Centerpinning

I guess I have a few questions on the subject.

First, how is Centerpinning actually done?  I've seen the rods and reels and assume it is a drift type presentation, but how do you cast?  Do you just lob it out there?

Second, why do so many people hate Centerpinners on the streams?  I've never fished near someone who was using a centerpin set-up, but there are a lot of posts in other forums that hate these guys.  Just wondering why.
Steel Junkie
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 297
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/02 20:40:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FiveMilePete 2020/11/27 02:24:48
Well next time you are out fishing, go stand 30 ft downstream from 1 and you will understand why everybody rants about them. Dont get me wrong ive met some nice pinners but just like with most things a few bad apples ruin it for everyone.
Eriefisherman69
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 183
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/02 20:41:46 (permalink)
I love standing downstream from them

Get educated, Get smart, And help. 

Move up or Move Over

Don't wait do something now

swinger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1376
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/02 21:00:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Eriefisherman69

I love standing downstream from them

I hate standing down wind of them.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/02 21:59:01 (permalink)
AAAHHhahahahahahaaaahah!!! Bout time we've had some good action in this forum! Please keep this going.

Hate or envy?

steelhound
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 453
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/02 22:17:20 (permalink)
Not envy
swinger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1376
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/02 22:19:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

AAAHHhahahahahahaaaahah!!! Bout time we've had some good action in this forum! Please keep this going.

Hate or envy?

Sorry ShutUp. I found something almost as fun as messing with pinners elsewhere. I must return to my roots though.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
dru2112
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2265
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/02 22:25:24 (permalink)
i can see this subject really gets some people going
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/02 22:42:10 (permalink)
pinners need to fish larger rivers LIKE OUT ON THE WEST COAST lol lol i too can replicate a long drift with my 10 ft noodle and sedona 2500 reel but on erie tribs usually you dont need a long long drift jus sayin

I have become comfortably numb
Lucky Craft Man
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/02 23:38:26 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Kokanee Killer

pinners need to fish larger rivers LIKE OUT ON THE WEST COAST lol lol i too can replicate a long drift with my 10 ft noodle and sedona 2500 reel but on erie tribs usually you dont need a long long drift jus sayin

This brings up a good point.  Upon doing a little research, it does appear that this is a downstream technique that allows for long drifts.  This is something that I would assume is not easily done on the smaller tribs. of Erie.  I have always been an upstream nymphing kind of guy and fishing downstream seems a little foreign to me.  With that being said, I can see how Centerpinning can be an effective technique, especially in large streams or rivers where it is a little too deep to keep in a good position and where the drift seams are really long.
post edited by Lucky Craft Man - 2010/12/02 23:44:09
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/03 06:51:20 (permalink)
Its effective on ANY moving water.

You're right KK, you can certainly achieve pretty much the same drift using your spinning outfit, if you're making 50' drifts that is...I try to seek out water where I can cover more water per drift and theres lots of it where I fish, including Erie - just gotta know where and when. I will say though, my favorite place to fish is on the rivers right here at home. Virtually NO people and plenty of great fishing opportunities.

heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/03 08:40:54 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Lucky Craft Man

I guess I have a few questions on the subject.

First, how is Centerpinning actually done?  I've seen the rods and reels and assume it is a drift type presentation, but how do you cast?  Do you just lob it out there?

Second, why do so many people hate Centerpinners on the streams?  I've never fished near someone who was using a centerpin set-up, but there are a lot of posts in other forums that hate these guys.  Just wondering why.

your assumption is right, it's a near-dragless drift and most guys pull a little line off the reel and give it a little lob out into the water... everyone's does something that works easier for them.  most guys hate them because pinners will drift large stretches of water which sometimes can go over another guy's drift.  The guys who yell about it will share a drift with a guy standing 6 feet from them but can't handle it when a pinner stands 30 feet up from them and lets their float drift down to the fly guy who's not even fishing that part of his drift.  most pinners are courteous and don't usually do that but as was said earlier... a few bad apples ruins it for everyone.  i've never done it but i've watched them walk up to a hole where guys have been trying for 45 minutes with no luck and pull a fish out on one of their first 3 drifts

so second biggest reason why people hate them is that they catch more fish than fly fisherman, which is a NO-NO in erie

go back to spain
11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/03 09:04:03 (permalink)
I have played around with a centerpin set up over the years and it can be very effective, but on the streams in PA with the number of people fishing the larger drifts, it is really not the best idea.  As mentioned, there are guys who will hit the head of a hole and drift the entire hole basically drifting in front of everyone.  That is the behavior many find offensive.

I will say however if you are careful, watch your drift and be sensitive to the others around you, you can get some good drifts. 

Learning to cast a centerpin set up has a pretty steep learning curve.  It takes a lot of coordination, good timing and practice. 

As far as I am concerned, if you want to give it a try, find someone who will take you out and show you how to do it.  That will save a lot of time in the learning process.  Also, if you do decide to get into centerpining, get a good quality reel.  The reel is the heart of the technique.  The cheaper ones will work, but the better reels will give you less problems and a better drift.  The whole idea is to get the line out with a float onto the water and to let the water take the line off the reel.  This way you get a very natural drift.

There are some other issues that help to refine the technique like choosing the right float, putting the right amount of shot on the line to get the bait or fly out in front of the float, choosing a good drift, etc.... 

To completely honest unless you want to drop some serious money on a set up that has limited use on the tribs, you may want to use a good noodle rod and spinning reel.

pax vobiscum +
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/03 11:18:35 (permalink)
Deadly method to fish with. If you are alone, you can really cover the water effectively . The bad part is, the amount of water they take up when others are fishing. You have to wait for their drift to finish if you are 30 feet below them to cast.Fly fishing or bait drifting, you have a 10 foot drift and , restricted to that short drift, you get the few zipperheads that fish 100 foot drifts and you stand while they fish. 5 guys can fish 20 feet apart and not interfere with the next fisherman. They ruin it for all but themselves.....WF
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/03 11:41:29 (permalink)
I have fished aside 4 centerpinners at a time without missing a beat and everyone catching fish....explain that? All these comments about hero drifts are funny and common stereotypes while the bottom line is that its all about each individual's courteousness. You ever fish next to a swinger? Probably not, because most of them won't fish around you, but I had one come right up next to me on Elk last year and whip a fly about a foot from my eye! "Common Courtesy" And the notion that centerpinning is even remotely a "bad idea" in Erie is comical too, but whatever. I have rarely had a hard time finding a place to fish and NEVER not found a place for it. I know some guys who fish the method on small feeder streams and hammer fish simply because they're not standing right over them. This is, once again, another matter of "to each his own". However, IMHO, there is NO more effective way to present a more natural drift presentation on moving water than with a float rod/reel set-up.

World Famous
Pro Angler
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/03 12:36:01 (permalink)
You're correct Shutup, all about courtesy. Fished with some great guys doing it. Heck, I own a centerpin.What ever method you use, there is always the zipperheads!!!!..WF
transitive
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/03 12:52:08 (permalink)
it's quite funny... the spey/switchers cry about pinners taking up room, yet swing 60 feet arcs on the reg...

waiting for input from swinger here.
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/03 12:59:24 (permalink)
Borrowed from the Salmon River Board...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPD8L-AzLV0&feature=player_embedded

Caution:  There is some profanity.

Swinger is out practicing his casting(swinging) at the moment. lol

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/03 13:08:44 (permalink)
I love that F-ing video!!! LMAO

mxdad66
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 751
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/03 13:11:11 (permalink)
Transitive, you are right,no one seems to complain when i roll out a nice loop with the switch,some actually comment on it,but then again I've never had anybody complain about my drifting techniques either.Common courtesy will get you a long way.There is a place and time for anyway anyone wishes to fish,rude and uncourtiers people ruin it,with whatever rod they have in their hand.I've stood beside shutup and many more people on here and fished a pin,swung flies,and we all get along just fine.
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/03 16:27:52 (permalink)
I once used a spey rod and a HUGE woolly bugger to get a guy out of my back pocket.  I was fishing the Manchester hole...  I know, I know with a spey rod???  Actually, there was only a couple of guys there that day and I had the upper part of the hole to myself.  After a couple of hook ups, some dude comes and plants himself next to me and starts casting exactly where I was casting.  I got to talking with the fella and told him I was pretty new to spey casting and it might not be such a good idea to stand too close... He basically did not seem to get the message so I let one cast go that put that big woolly bugger about a foot from his head at about 100 MPH.  He seemed to understand that message pretty well.  He moved on real quick...

pax vobiscum +
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/03 18:26:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: World Famous

You're correct Shutup, all about courtesy. Fished with some great guys doing it. Heck, I own a centerpin.What ever method you use, there is always the zipperheads!!!!..WF

Zipperheads?
World Famous
Pro Angler
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/03 19:32:36 (permalink)
From Ford Fairlane. Kinda catchy....WF
glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/03 21:11:27 (permalink)
Pinners..... a lot of bad apples spoil it for the few good ones.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/03 22:03:15 (permalink)
can't we all just get along??? that's all my point ever really is... just go fishing and to each their own... go ahead swinger, bash me hard with that long rod of yours; better watch it though cause i've got one too... a stiff one and a wet noodle so watch it...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/03 22:14:42 (permalink)
now on a more serious level, absolutely correct with the courtesy aspect of it. any angler of any method who's rude and invasive will spoil it for everyone whether it's a pinner, swinger, nympher or even worse a guy who knows nothing about anything who walks right in to the water that you are fishing and looks up and smiles at you while he's up to his breasts in water... gotta love it
glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/04 01:18:19 (permalink)
Some of my best friends are Pinners. But if one wants to move in nextdoor or marry my daughter thats a different story.
fishbreath
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/04 05:52:58 (permalink)
One of your best friends - me, Jerome - is not about to lower property values any further in your neighborhood. Lord knows they've suffered enough.
As for your daughter, lets just say I been worming my way into her heart, or at least some nearby organs, for a little while now. Can I call you dad ?
Make my day and repost that pic of Swinger with the fly in his earlobe; no witty reply to him can do as much insult as that picture.
Long as I'm talking about posting, put up that video of Bob hauling in a few on xxx creek. You boys shine in winter.
davisbarnes
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/04 19:49:43 (permalink)
So, I have been fly fishing for many years and still do, for trout, and stripers. I also carry my flyrod with me most of the time when I fish for steelhead, with 2 reels, one for swinging and indi, and one for bottom bouncing. But, last year I got a centerpin and was amazed at how cool it is to use. It gives great drifts, with excellent presentation, and in the time I have been using it I have only landed one foul hooked fish. Under most circumstances it is much more effective, and offers a real interesting way to approach the fish, with the ability to use the long rod, and different weight patterns to put whatever you are fishing (bead, bag, fly, or jig) in the zone. My landing % is also higher, probably due to less foul hooks, and a longer softer rod.
I never realized there was such a wide divide between fly guys and pinners, and find it amazing that so many people spend so much time worrying about what other people are doing. The whole idea of steelheading for me is to live in the moment, focus on the drift, learn new water, it is kind of a Zen like thing. If there are people around doing things that bother me it is much easier to move on than to worry about it. Rude people are rude people. Trying to change them is like trying to teach a pig to dance, it won't happen, and it annoys the pig, so why not just leave them to themselves, and go find fish. It is funny, in some areas Canadians are the bad guys, in some it is the Russians, but on the interweb it seems to be pinners. So far I find pinners more willing to help and teach than fly guys, maybe because they catch more fish, and are not quite as serious about it, less traditional or something. I am sure there are the same % rude pinners as there are rude fly guys, and spin guys, and noodlers (well maybe not noodlers...), and I am sure I will meet them the next time I am out. Now, driftboats, those guys **** me off.....
avidangler
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 835
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/04 20:57:06 (permalink)
I love to catch lake runs. I travel 120 miles one way to hit the pa tribs and more to fish ohio or ny, so i bring the most effective tactic i've found to catch fish effectively. I respect others personal space and can work a drift with anyone, of course i like to drift 3 or 4 deep if i'm fishing around shutupnfish

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: