BoBcats

Author
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/02 11:46:50 (permalink)

BoBcats

I have been seeing a bunch of them in GreeneCo.  Everyone I know has one on trail camera this year, and I saw one in archery, and several have crossed the road in front of me since.

I am ALL ABOUT killing predetors.  Give the rabbits/small game a chance.

Anybody get tags?  Can you get a tag/furbearer post hunting lisence purchase?  I imagine that you can, but I was just wondering.

Who plans on hunting or trapping for them?

Any idea on what to do as far as hunting?  Call like you do for coyotes?

Any trappers on here?

4 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: BoBcats 2010/12/02 12:58:53 (permalink)
    Called one in two years ago on the border of Washington/Greene.  Came into a woodpecker in distress while I was trying for a coyote. 

Never saw the sucker approach till I noticed it sitting not 30 yards from me intently staring my direction. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: BoBcats 2010/12/02 17:37:15 (permalink)
    Here is a link to a couple of pics i got this year in Greene. Not the best, but a couple cat pics. Got several others throughout the fall, but couldnt get good ones:

LINK- couple of trail cam pics

Aside from the pics, Ive seen them while groundhog huntin', while turkey hunting, and while bowhuntin' last few years. There are at least 2 different ones on one area of couple adjoining farms i hunt, one clearly a large stocky wide forheaded male, and a slighter built cat, prolly a female. Myself and a couple hunting partners see them at least a time or two each year while hunting or scouting etc. Also find their tracks from time to time.

Buddies have seen a couple more in other areas of the county as well within last couple of years.

I think their effect on small game is over-rated, and i dont think you'll find many biologists blaming shortages of small game in any areas on bobcats specifically. Though they definately will take it when given opportunity and turkey etc., they'll also take songbirds, mice rats voles, and even the odd deer fawn. Cats are a low density predator, and having so few in any given area and having a varied diet, they dont overly impact any single food source. Male bobcat just dont like other male bobcat and will fight like crazy to defend territory.

Coyotes on the other hand are eating machines, gluttons, and a menace to just about anything they can get their jaws around. Usually more than one or two in an area where they're at as well.

As for tags, i believe you need a furtakers and a bobcat permit to take one cat per year. There is a fairly short season, and cannot remember exact details of when and too busy right now to look it up.

I predator hunt and some years trap. Coyote, fox, coon, and once in a blue moon a bit of water trappin. Dont have an interest in going after the few cats that i know to exist in my areas though, i get a kick outta seein' them. Specially since until last 8-10 years or so, id never seen or found sign of one in Greene, nor had most of my hunting buds and family. A large well spotted one would make a gorgeous lifesize mount. Though choose a taxidermist wisely. Most cat mounts ive seen look like crap, and not at all life-like.
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/12/02 17:47:11
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: BoBcats 2010/12/02 17:42:17 (permalink)
    I know a guy that has called in a bunch of cats in Greene this year.  He's anxious for the season to open.

You need a furtakers license($20) and a bobcat tag($?), you can buy it anytime.

Yes you call with distress sounds like rabbit, birds, rodents.  Cats are easy to call but take their time coming in.  Prepare to stay on stand 45-60 miinutes and keep your eyes WIDE open.  They usually come in in 20-30 yards spurts and sit and watch.  If you don't see it moving, you probably won't see it.
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: BoBcats 2010/12/02 17:48:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wayne c

Though choose a taxidermist wisely. Most cat mounts ive seen look like crap, and not at all life-like.

I agree 100%, maybe more.  I contacted every taxi in PA,NY,OH that could be located on the internet.  I was only happy with the work of ONE from Indiana, PA.  Unfortunately I lost my AZ cat in an accident.
    Jump to: