Taxidermy

Author
EagleCrg
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 160
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/01 19:49:57 (permalink)

Taxidermy

Several years ago I caught a nice brown in the SR and took it to have mounted at a shop down near the mouth of the river.  I know the shop where I took it is capable of doing some excellent work because I saw quite a few mounts when I dropped my fish off and then again when I picket it up.  This was the first and only fish I have ever had mounted so I have to admit that I wasn't really familiar with good & bad work, but the owner of this shop has won a number of awards for their work.  When I picked up my fish, I was asked if it looked okay, and without really looking it over, I said yes.  After I got the fish home and started examining it more closely, I was really disappointed.  The tail and fins were so caked with finish that they do not look lifelike at all.  Some of the fins are also cocked an an odd angle making them look unnatural.  The eye also appears to be poorly set as there is space around it that shouldn't be there.  I accepted the mount, so I did not go back and address the issues with the owner.  I was wondering though, if I was not happy, what recourse would I have had?  Not pay the other half of the money?  Then I am still out the fish and the down payment. 

I realize you do not need the fish to have a mount done, but when I have a mount done, I like to look at it and know that at least a part of what I am looking at was from the actual fish I caught.  I suspect that the owner surmised that I was likely not going to be a repeat customer and gave my mount to an apprentice to do.  Any comments?  This site has been quiet for awhile so I though I'd try to liven it up.

13 Replies Related Threads

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Taxidermy 2010/12/01 20:47:38 (permalink)
    Talk to the taxi.
    JOE PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Taxidermy 2010/12/01 22:05:18 (permalink)
    Interesting.  I think I would have probably refused it, and only been out half the $, but then you got zip to show.  Probably best to take it to someone you know locally.  Lots of options today, and repros are getting better all the time.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Taxidermy 2010/12/02 00:29:24 (permalink)
    Make him do it over is what I'd do.

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Taxidermy 2010/12/02 05:50:50 (permalink)
    i would complain . how long has it been since you picked it up?? my father got a steelhead mounted there maybe 25 years ago and it was horrible to say the least...if anything you should complain. the squeeky wheel always gets the grease
    post edited by dimebrite - 2010/12/02 23:03:29
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Taxidermy 2010/12/02 12:45:53 (permalink)
    Eagle-
       Some of the local shops in Pulaski take fish for mounting then send the fish to Northeast Taxidermy in Middletown Connecticut (860-613-2067). They have been doing this for many years.
      Joe owns and operates Northeast and has the fish brought to him by fishermen from our area who frequent the River and its shops. Joe operates a first class quality operation. I have also seen him re-do others mounts.
    This is not a hobby shop or one of those guys working part time supplementing another full time job. This is a  professional operation with several full time long term employees. That being said Joe does all the fish painting and finishing himself, he is VERY particular with his fish.
    Northeast is Nationally recognized . It is not uncommon to visit the shop and observe a couple of dozen full body mounts of North American and African game prepared as well as dozens of Deer and Turkey, not to mention fish.
    I would STRONGLY recommend Northeast to anyone with any species. As I said it offers QUALITY.( I am not associated with this business in any way)

PS- let me know if you got the P.M.
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/12/02 16:58:30
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    RE: Taxidermy 2010/12/02 21:28:36 (permalink)
    Dime:  I think you figured out where I took it--I'd just as soon leave the place anonymous as I don't care to badmouth the place event though my mount wasn't done justice.  I should have looked it over more before I accepted it and left the shop.  That place was recommended to me by a local, but perhaps he knew the owner.  At this point, several years have passed so I am not going to say anything, but I will sure ask more questions if I ever have another fish mounted.  There were some real quality mounts in the shop when I dropped it off an again when I picked it up, but mine sure wasn't one of them.
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    RE: Taxidermy 2010/12/02 21:31:31 (permalink)
    Retired Guy:  Thank you for the info.  I will keep it in mind.  I checked my PMs and there were none in my in box if you had sent me one.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Taxidermy 2010/12/02 23:02:05 (permalink)
    northeast did my 12 pound brown in 1998 and it was spectacular. one other mount done in 99 which was a 12 pound coho buck done by paul dangelo. although he screwed many over, he didn't screw up my coho. he used fake fins but they looked dynamite. i only know because he told me. the body was not styrofoam, it was a solid hard plastic or something like that. but if northeast is still around, definitely a good choice... salmon river sport shop used to send fish out to them. don't know if they do anymore. hey eagle, i'll delete my thread. sorry...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Taxidermy 2010/12/02 23:04:03 (permalink)
    actually, just edit. sorry again
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Taxidermy 2010/12/02 23:17:01 (permalink)
    joe at northeast does a spectacular job born n raised in ct myself torrington to be exact ,,,, i live out of ct now but i still have him do my work when i go back every fall to visit i pick up my fish from northeast taxidermy and WOW this guy is amazing you ought to see his shop huge to say the least he pays attention to every detail on the fish give him a pic and he will nail it dead on but i still would go back to the taxi and tell him what u think taxis are like mechanics some get by and some are truly jus got a raw talent

I have become comfortably numb
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Taxidermy 2010/12/03 02:30:24 (permalink)
    Eagle,
    Sorry bout the PM i/m having trouble with that. Just said more good stuff bout Joe and Northeast but the other guys have verified that for you.

Dime,
    Yes Northeast is still there. Bigger and better than ever.They still have Pulaski shops who send their fish to them as well.
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/12/03 02:33:57
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Taxidermy 2010/12/03 05:37:42 (permalink)
    definitely details kokanee... also, very natural. my brown had 2 little imperfection scars on it's sided which were basically scars. he did not cover them up. the fish look sgreat to say the least. i wish i had given him a picture, but eventhough i didn't, many have looked at the fish and the pic i have of it and say it looks jusy like it anyway...
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Taxidermy 2010/12/04 21:27:31 (permalink)
    joe is the man!!!!!!!!!!

I have become comfortably numb
    Jump to: