Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly"

Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6387
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/30 17:09:53 (permalink)

Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly"

Gentlemen and ladies, Just thought I'd take a moment and pass long some thoughts regarding the event for your comment/thought.
First I'd like to profusely thank everyone who attended,, or contributed. Y'all were great.

Now the comments: Next year I'm going to try to stabilize the awards better. What you should know is that the awarding of the Bamboo rod to the winner is a symbol of skill >luck >good timing. It is really not meant as a money prize. The price should not be a determining factor in the event.
Next year I will have two prizes A NEW bamboo rod for 1st place and a restored bamboo rod for the person deemed "most deserving" by the folks on the board and voted on by the "committee". So PRIVATE, as in pm to me, suggestions of who should get the suprise rod will be open till next year. I DO NOT want this to become a public argument so any public postings will be ignored. I will filter the suggestions and then submit the highest nominated names to the "committee" for finalizing.
So now that we have those prizes out of the way I will again be taking suggestions from those of you who want to donate on 2d , 3d and female prizes. If I have more than 1 custom rod donated we will rotate the placement of the rods year-to-year.
I'm also starting the 5 year winner rule for the top female prize, and junior. Just like for the men. So next year Skeeter and Jolene will have to compete with each other.
Hopefully the suprise rod this year will be South Bend in a medium weight (5) and the 1st place rod may have a custom case.

I really enjoyed most of your comments and I'll try to mke next years' event even better. The important thing to remember is that this is a fun event. It's not about the prizes, it's about the people.

And a note of warning. If you have posted an intent to attend and you have not shown up, your request to attend next year will go to the "standby" pile unless you contacted me before you couldn't attend the event. I had to turn away 25 folks last year and we still had 19 no-shows. Plus the cut-off will probably be 125 again next year.

Thank You all again!
post edited by indsguiz - 2010/11/30 23:15:06

Illegitimis Non carborundum

17 Replies Related Threads

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly" 2010/11/30 18:47:39 (permalink)
    Indy, Again - So many thanks for taking the time. This year was the first for me and I had the time of my life. Met lots of great folks and finally was able to put some faces to the words. It's less than a year away now and although for now it is in the back of my mind..... come July/August/Sept. in will be up front and center. Thanks again my friend.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly" 2010/11/30 21:28:28 (permalink)
    Even though I was there as "helping hands"and didn't fish, I had a blast and can't wait for next year!

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    ray126
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 238
    RE: Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly" 2010/11/30 21:44:55 (permalink)
    Please count me in to help next year.Ray
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly" 2010/12/01 12:06:55 (permalink)
    Plumbob nominates Glen for most deserving
    Glen nominates Plumbob for most deserving

Seriously, We attended for the first time and really enjoyed it. I can't think of anything to improve on. well, maybe more food. Could Skip to 100 lbs. of pork instead of 60?
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly" 2010/12/01 13:09:31 (permalink)
    Is it too early to sign up now for next year???

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly" 2010/12/01 13:19:17 (permalink)
    Sign -up will start in July, as always. News release will go out in June. 1 rod is being done right now. Any suggestions on the weight of the 1st place rod? Be advised that a 6-7 weight bamboo rod is a definate arm load when you cast it all day.

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3030
    RE: Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly" 2010/12/01 13:45:34 (permalink)
    Jack, a little 7 footer, maybe a 4wt. would be cool.
    Less work, too.
    Good for trout and gills.

bowmandjk
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly" 2010/12/01 13:51:27 (permalink)
    Jack i cant thank you enough for all the work you put into this Its great meeting everyone and watching the smiles on the kids. I have already checked off the calendar

any day of fishing is a gift
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly" 2010/12/01 17:13:43 (permalink)
    Well this year will hopefully be a sweet one for me on a personal note. Both my kids and their families are planning to attend. I'm hoping I can fish with all of them. We'll just have to "reserve" Manchester hole now so we'll have room.

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly" 2010/12/02 16:24:02 (permalink)
    I'll donate a line for each of the rods for next year. Just let me know what weights you'll need once you decide on the rods.

I had a blast this year. I look forward to the next one.

The casting games were fun, DT did a nice job putting them together. The snagging comp was funny to watch. Distance casting would be a nice addition. I'll donate some lines etc.. for the casting games next year as well.

post edited by thedrake - 2010/12/02 16:27:14
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4913
    RE: Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly" 2010/12/02 17:11:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

I'll donate a line for each of the rods for next year. Just let me know what weights you'll need once you decide on the rods.

The casting games were fun, DT did a nice job putting them together. The snagging comp was funny to watch. Distance casting would be a nice addition. I'll donate some lines etc.. for the casting games next year as well.

I agree, that was a lot of fun.

The only change I would make to the casting competitions would be that all competitors must use the same "fly," like a piece of yarn.  With everyone using different weighted flies, dry flies, etc., the playing field wasn't exactly level.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    rookie5781
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly" 2010/12/02 20:32:04 (permalink)
    Well me in for any help next year too. I had a blast like always. And cant wait to do it all again.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly" 2010/12/03 09:09:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: capcity_tim

Maybe everyone should use the same rod then.... just sayin

Casting comps are fine IMO... don't change a thing.

For the same reason that in a HR contest players can use their bat, but need to hit the same type of ball.  One guy doesn't have to hit a pool ball while another gets to hit a super ball.  It makes it fair.

Fly casting contests typically require the same terminal.  By doing so, one contestant can't have their backcast hit the ground, but due to the amount of "chuck and duck" weight, still be able to make an okay forecast.  Its called fly casting, not weight lobbing.

Suggestions were asked for, I made one.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly" 2010/12/03 09:39:03 (permalink)

I heard there is a 4 DT in your closet for Shawn and a 5 DT for me.. of that new line you said is nice.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly" 2010/12/03 09:47:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys

ORIGINAL: capcity_tim

Maybe everyone should use the same rod then.... just sayin

Casting comps are fine IMO... don't change a thing.

For the same reason that in a HR contest players can use their bat, but need to hit the same type of ball.  One guy doesn't have to hit a pool ball while another gets to hit a super ball.  It makes it fair.

Fly casting contests typically require the same terminal.  By doing so, one contestant can't have their backcast hit the ground, but due to the amount of "chuck and duck" weight, still be able to make an okay forecast.  Its called fly casting, not weight lobbing.

Suggestions were asked for, I made one.

Without question.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly" 2010/12/03 09:58:47 (permalink)
    I tend to agree with the same fly.......... maybe  just an unweighted fly and no split shot  Or Indicators  Or slinkys  or bobbers  or floats  or sighters or thingamabobbers and no 8 fly rigs  Makes it a level playing field  This coming from a guy that doesn't compete in any contests

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thoughts/comments on the "One Fly" 2010/12/03 11:37:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

I heard there is a 4 DT in your closet for Shawn and a 5 DT for me.. of that new line you said is nice.

What were you doing in his closet?

Lookng for sucker flies?

Jump to: