Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Steelhead!! - Ye-Haa!!

Author
YankeeAngler
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 184
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/27 19:47:36 (permalink)

Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Steelhead!! - Ye-Haa!!

My last trip we hit Steel in 2 out of 3 spots.
Wade
Approx. 15 or so? Hard to remember all'of'm.
Especially at my age  :)
Other anglers - guides having success also :)
Always nice to c! (Congrats to all)
The local economy "Thanks you all" for spending your hard earned income here.
-
Thank god! You guys like chasing something that has a brain the size of a pea, or I would be out of biz  :) (kidding)
(Har-har)
-
We still have fresh ( less educated) fish in transition, so you will find some freshies still in the fast water.
And or in the transitional spots, As they move up river looking for a Winter Hold over location.
Im finding (as Usual for this time of year) some fish moving more into the Winter holding water's.
Slowwwww, deeeep spots.
This always happens when the water temp. drop's and they are concerned with conserving energy.
These (older) Steelhead are becoming very educated.
-
Best Fish's, to you all,
Go get'm,
Randy
www.yankeeangler.com

4 Replies Related Threads

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Steelhead!! - Ye-Haa!! 2010/11/27 20:35:06 (permalink)
    Randy - are you fishing with the stoneflies yet?

just curious - I don't know if you are tossin beads like the majority of folks these days.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Steelhead!! - Ye-Haa!! 2010/11/28 03:58:24 (permalink)
    I like your upbeat & informative posts Randy. I can't be there much, but you have a way of putting the mind as being on the river. Really breaks up the all work no fishing crap. Thanks.

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Steelhead!! - Ye-Haa!! 2010/11/28 05:52:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

Randy - are you fishing with the stoneflies yet?

just curious - I don't know if you are tossin beads like the majority of folks these days.

i imagine if they are starting to winterize in winter lies, stones should start working well. just an assumption though since i'm not there... i find in the mid mornnings they will either recede below tail outs or above the heads as normal trout do to munch on the primary food source of the winter; nymphs and pupa... can't wait til 2nd weekend in dec. i will be there, but in pursuit of chromers.... thanks for the info randy
    YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Steelhead!! - Ye-Haa!! 2010/11/28 10:15:13 (permalink)
    Your all very welcome, glad to share :)
    I use egg imitations (when there is an egg hatch :) once in awhile.
    I love useing a glob of skein too, either bottom or float.
    My primary offering to the fish over our 6-7 month Steelhead season are natural colored aquatic insects, in different forms.
    This river has an amazing amount of all 4 or so of the major aquatics in it.
    I simplie use the knowledge gained (appprox. 15 years) from fishing - guiding over in central Vt. for Trout.
    Seems to work here also :)
    K.I. S.S.
    Lots of ways to skin a cat.
    Tons of other productive methods.
    Very healthy river system.
    Best fish's,
    Randy
    Jump to: