Are the Crowds Thinning Yet?

Author
350Z&Steelheads
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 430
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/23 08:03:35 (permalink)

Are the Crowds Thinning Yet?

This year has seemed to be the busiest year I can recall (crowd wise).

Do many of you agree or disagree?

Here is my reasoning... I was up for a full week 3 weeks ago and typical places that the crowds would reduce to 5-10 cars by Wed. seemed to have 20+ cars every day of my full week trip.

Now this past weekend I fished Friday morning and was pleased that the crowd was not "too bad" considering the time of year.

So what do you think? Was it just luck that this past Friday was not as bad as I was expecting? Or are the prime season crowds already clearing?

PS...I can't wait for some snow and ice to really clear the crowd!

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

19 Replies Related Threads

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/23 08:11:37 (permalink)
    They should be pretty sparse today.

pax vobiscum +
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/23 08:27:00 (permalink)
    SHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/23 09:12:42 (permalink)
    Don't get me wrong there are still alot of people...

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

munster
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/23 11:09:19 (permalink)
    I disagree on there being more people this year. I think it seems like more just because of water being low and fish concentrated in certain holes. I fished alot of water by myself this year once the early morning guys got ****ed and left after not catching anything when they can see them.

At camp there's usually a line of cars clear out the entrance every weekend. This year there hasn't been anywhere near the cars like years past.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/23 11:46:05 (permalink)
    Some folks are just oblivious to their surroundings as well....If anyone thinks the crowds are better today then anytime in years past, they obviously have not been fishing there long enough to know. Not talking about just one camp or area either...talking about the whole system.

SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/23 13:09:47 (permalink)
    So what do you think? Was it just luck that this past Friday was not as bad as I was expecting? Or are the prime season crowds already clearing?

Nothing seems to have changed to me.  I fished my favorite area this past Sunday and saw the most people out of any of my 5 trips so far this year, I assume it was due to the nice weather and the fact that there were more fish in that area than I have seen all year so far.  I then went to a smaller trib that same day where there are very few fish, and saw very few fisherman. 

The crowds are all about where you are fishing, the weather conditions, and the number of fish in that area.  Odds are that if your on a small stream with few fish in bad weather, then your going to have the stream to yourself.  If you go to a larger stream with a decent amount of fish in great weather, then it's going to be crowded, I don't care how far you walk.  There is no place on Elk creek where I can walk as far as I would like without hitting the next parking lot or posted land.

munster
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/23 13:37:49 (permalink)
    I can't speak for the system as a whole this year because I was only on the east side once...and it was really crowded. I was expecting it, though. It was early in the season.

I expect it to be shoulder to shoulder every time I make the trip...if it's less crowded than that...all's well. I'll walk to find a less crowded area. I'll come back to a hole later in the day if it's crowded in the AM. No big deal. I'm out just having fun. I'll sit down and watch guys fish a section just to BS with someone and wait my turn if I'm tired. Sunny days bring people out...whether there's thousands of fish or not. Oh well.

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/23 14:27:03 (permalink)
    Since you have to walk a bit to find fish, we may be thinning a little. But after Thursday, and a full day of Turkey, smashed taters, and pumpkin pie. We'll be as big as ever.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/23 15:33:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bughawk

Not on the east side. 9 cars at 7 mile, which means it was 300%
    over capacity. 12 cars at 4 mile, also 300% over. 6 guys fishing the falls. All 10 yards of space. Also 2 guys disregarding the signs on the fishing club side. I went down to the mouth, brutal north wind, made about 10 casts, and left.

Doesn't anyone work anymore?

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3157
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/23 16:18:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

ORIGINAL: Bughawk

Not on the east side. 9 cars at 7 mile, which means it was 300%
    over capacity. 12 cars at 4 mile, also 300% over. 6 guys fishing the falls. All 10 yards of space. Also 2 guys disregarding the signs on the fishing club side. I went down to the mouth, brutal north wind, made about 10 casts, and left.

here is the unemployment rates for PA. Erie County is 9.2%

http://www.paworkstats.state.pa.us/admin/gsipub/htmlarea/uploads/county_unemployment_map.pdf
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/23 16:20:37 (permalink)

That's what I was think'n FiveMile. I have been retired for almost 8 yrs. Before I retired, I thought that it would be great to fish in the middle of the week without crowds. Jokes on me! It is very different during the week in the summer, fishing the Lake. There is hardly anyone at the marina that I dock (except holidays of course)and alot less boats on the Lake during the week. Sweet!

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/23 18:33:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Split Shot

That's what I was think'n FiveMile. I have been retired for almost 8 yrs. Before I retired, I thought that it would be great to fish in the middle of the week without crowds. Jokes on me! It is very different during the week in the summer, fishing the Lake. There is hardly anyone at the marina that I dock (except holidays of course)and alot less boats on the Lake during the week. Sweet!

Blame Obama!

harryape5
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/23 19:00:09 (permalink)
    Crowds are a lot smaller due to absence of fish . At Godfrey last Sunday only 5 people despite perfect conditions. LACK OF FISH = less people.

jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/23 19:26:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Since you have to walk a bit to find fish, we may be thinning a little. But after Thursday, and a full day of Turkey, smashed taters, and pumpkin pie. We'll be as big as ever.

LMAO
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/23 20:38:00 (permalink)
    I have decided to fish places where there are few if any people at all. And I've found them.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    JOE PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/24 05:55:18 (permalink)
    So, the pics posted by the regulars on here are taken at private stretches of the streams?  Streams don't look that crowded in those pics, so I assume there is a "catch" other than the fish in the pics.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/24 08:09:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Loopy

I have decided to fish places where there are few if any people at all. And I've found them.

I hear ya...I started to put much more time fishing right in my back yard at some local rivers. Never thought I'd enjoy the whole experience of catching carp, catfish and smallies more than the steelhead experience. I look forward to spring! Don't get me wrong, I love catching those steelies, but the whole experience has been tainted by the crowds over the past few years...some folks just need to learn to diversify especially if they seriously love to fish.

FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/24 17:54:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: JOE PA

So, the pics posted by the regulars on here are taken at private stretches of the streams?  Streams don't look that crowded in those pics, so I assume there is a "catch" other than the fish in the pics.

Yeh, I can show you 300 yards of space on 12 mile creek with nobody fishing. Wonder why?
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    RE: Are the Crowds Thinning Yet? 2010/11/24 19:20:01 (permalink)
    Don't worry the creeks will be full of fish in the future............the Asian Carp Invasion...............coming soon.
    Jump to: