Seasons over

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Seasons over 2010/11/26 12:33:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dimebrite

I really hate to see when people think one is better than the other based on methods and all that BS. it's really getting out of hand IMO. what happened to just fishing????? first it was the purists.... which i always hated that arrogant attitude even though i only fly fished for many years; now it's everyone....

Why can't we all just along ???? 

DB = I agree with you.

I don't know if it just me or the places I fish, but I think the unique thing about the SR is that it is about the only place I fish where I hear or read about the bashing of different methods. I never hear any of it on Pa rivers or streams. I guess it is because the SR attracts so many different types of fishermen from so many different places - both near and far.

I don't care what type of method a guy near me employs to try to stab a fish in the face. The only downside that gets to me once in awhile are the crowds of the last 5 years or so. Some blame the pinners, some blame the internet - I don't know - it could be a combination of both - but those things are out of my control so I just wait till winter and take a walk if need be. (I really don't care for fishing the mudsharks anymore - but that is my preference). Besides, the salmon runs were always packed shoulder to shoulder long before centerpins arrived on scene.

On the comedy side, (and yes you have to laugh at life too) - I do think Metal's sig line is funny.
And I must admit, I sometimes get a kick out of hearing guys using descriptions like "stupid pinheads" or
" ****en speytards" or "bottom-bouncing bandits"..   

I'm gonna take my lab for a long walk this afternoon along my home waters. I will let her decide what type of rig I grab off the rack..

Later... 

retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: Seasons over 2010/11/26 12:51:44 (permalink)
   Whenever guys talk about methods I think of my uncle Ted. He has fished and hunted just about everywhere and is the retired  Chief of Law Enforcement for the Ct DEP. I brought him to the river about 10 years ago for his first time- we fished DSR.
  It was late Sept and he used an antique  5 wt. bamboo rod he had rebuilt. He hooked (the right way) and much much later landed a fine King which we released.  
  A year or so later I helped a guy land a King in the LFZ who had an old 6 wt. bamboo rod, it too had been a long  battle. He only spoke Polish, turned out he was a sportswriter for a newspaper in Poland. I used his camera to take a picture, it was later shown in some Pulaski publications ( reprinted from a Polish paper).

Guess " purist" is a frame of mind and different for everyone
post edited by retired guy - 2010/11/26 13:02:28
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Seasons over 2010/11/26 16:30:03 (permalink)
There I'd definitely room for joking no doubt but there's definitely a fine line as well Drake. I don't fish Pa at all but I notice a little more comradery on the Pa forums. Like I said in my last post I'm not looking to argue with anyone just trying to make a general point about fishing in general. Retired; I'm not bashing the purist way I have just found in my 22 years of fly fishing (in which 20 of those years were fly fishing ONLY) THAT I HAVE RUN IN TO A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO held a superior attitude and outright looked down and even vocalized outloud to people ho spin fished. I just don't get it. To sum it all up this past spring I took my 3 year old son out with his 3 ft buzz light year push button rod. He got a 9 inch brookie on atrout worm under a bobber and guess what i had a ton of fun.

Btw... I have too landed kings on a five weight with 5 lb test... just like you've said....quality over quanity
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/11/26 17:16:28 (permalink)
Hey Dime,
Think that "purists" are anyone (as you said)  who looks down  at someone elses methods They dont seem to realize that someone else can look down at them too- they might have hissy fits over that.
That was the point of my old timer /light bamboo story. Imagine how our present "purists" would feel if a bunch of light bamboo swinging grey haired crippled old guys stood around bashing their modern fly equipment.
WHOOPS
Not to be confused with regular fly guys or even those of us who switch back and forth- just the ones who stand on shore trash talking for all to hear about others methods as if some great travesty is happening in front of them, I think they do it because it makes them feel superior in their own mind - actually others look at them like they are idiots.
We have all heard them from time to time. Told a couple of them at DSR they ought to go to the Fly zone or shut the ---- up. They were right behind me and were clearly talking to EACH OTHER for me to  hear- they were pushing the buttons on a guy who just wanted to fish and have a nice day. They didnt have the -things- to back up their mouths and moved off. Too bad, I was still in my 40s then and quite willing.---you know that down your back/rain thing
   Right on with Quality over quantity
post edited by retired guy - 2010/11/26 18:16:32
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: Seasons over 2010/11/28 04:07:54 (permalink)
I like where this is going.

Lyrical
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/11/28 13:11:51 (permalink)
A guy said that the only ones who dont complain about other fishing methods are the snaggers.  Good point.
   If im fishing  a pool and a float comes through from upstream I complain, same if a snagger runs up and starts working "my" pool I complain too. If a pinner is working a pool and some guys come in below him and start fishing in "traditional" ways he complains.
  Seems to me that the real problem is rudeness NOT the methods. Just cause he's not fishing your preferred style doesnt mean you can step on his toes.

salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/11/28 13:27:03 (permalink)
I agree 110%, but I still hate pinners. Hehehe.

Lyrical
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/11/28 14:46:59 (permalink)
hit it right on the head of a ten penny nail with a thirty pound hammer retired... it's people... as i've said in the past; look everywhere you go; theres a bunch of a**holes in front of you and twice as many behind. every where you drive people honking, every political avenue is corrupt, stocks and funds corrupt, ceo's of companies greedy and slimy with their hands in the pockets of the politicians, oil companies profitting billions in 1 quarter while a gas station struggles to stay in business, illegal contractors working for half of what the job costs a legit company to do... the real problem is that everyone is fed up with it, so we're all forced to be in constant distress. a long time ago there was an a**hole, and ever since then it's gotten to the point where everyone is an a**hole because we all just react towards the rudeness and obsenities we see everyday. we only have ourselves to blame. it's discussions like this that can maybe shed some light in to someone's or a few peoples eyes...
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/11/28 16:43:31 (permalink)
Hey Dime'
 Thanks, I agree with most of what you said.
    The problem isnt that we react to the issues but that we do NOT. By just standing by we actually encourage bad behavior.
   I'm an elected politician, have been since retirement(7 yrs now). People see bad things  and want to remain anonymous- they call and want me to care for their problem. Folks complain about bad stuff and want someone who was not there to see or hear it to make it stop. IMPOSSIBLE- ya gotta step up to the plate  - if you see it and you hear it how can somebody who was elsewhere make it right without YOU.
  That is the essential issue here, we grouse about it all the time. I am guilty of it too. How many times do we see bad river behavior and simply move on and complain about it here. HERE cant change a darn thing. We gotta say something to those responsible.
 I dont mean start a fistfight or a big argument but saying something will have more positive effect than all the grousing. Some of these guys simply do not know any better.  Some will never get it, but some will, and we will be better off for it.
  I have wondered about the kid (about 20) I mentioned in a post about a month ago seeing me catch a fish and running over to "my"  little hole and snagging right in front of me. I simply walked off to another spot and later wrote about it here. I wish I had corrected him about his ethics and let him fish the hole anyway. He may have become a more aware fisherman as the result.
     Maybee-maybee not, but nothing ventured -nothing gained.

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: Seasons over 2010/11/29 01:09:48 (permalink)
How's the fishing? :)
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/11/29 08:44:37 (permalink)
Your right--
 Its a fishing forum and we constantly get side tracked with this other junk- Just fish and enjoy it for its own sake.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/11/29 14:05:49 (permalink)
hey jack, wish i could tell you how the fishings doing, maybe in a week i will... for the open ended discussions though; yes it's a fishing forum, but i think anyone who openly participates does learn and grow from it. it's fishing that brings us all here but why not confront and discuss issues that we encounter while we fish or even try to mend the tension caused by minor disagreements we encounter on these boards. sometimes it's childish yes, but there usually is an underlying point... tight lines everyone. and getting back to what started the thread; i disagree 100 % because my season isn't over. but keep in mind; i don't think that makes me any more of a man than anyone else... lmao...
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/11/29 16:50:30 (permalink)
Shoulda put a "my " in front of that.

Good luck Dime
post edited by retired guy - 2010/11/29 16:51:19
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/11/29 19:11:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

I agree 110%, but I still hate pinners. Hehehe.

You should try it some time - you might be able to land your first SR brown trout.

Hehehe..
uglyfish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 561
RE: Seasons over 2010/11/30 17:28:14 (permalink)
To each his own. I was told this year I shouldn't be using a 9'6" 7 weight at the fly zone way to small of a rod for salmon. I have a ball with it and that's all that matters if we extend the courtesy that we would want then the river would truely be experience for all. It only takes a couple bad apples to ruin it for all. My 2 cents
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/11/30 19:12:17 (permalink)
Hey Ug,
Right on- my 9 wt fly rods are all in the 9' range. Sometimes even thats too long for those days when your backed up to brush and overhanging trees.
When I use my 6wt its even shorter.
We are all enjoying the same thing in slightly different ways. Some likem chunky, some likem funky, some likem hairy -like a monkey.

Just more bovine field splatter,

Not to say I havent considered one of those 11 or 12 footers. Looks like fun.
post edited by retired guy - 2010/11/30 22:01:51
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/12/01 01:17:45 (permalink)
i thought i was done with this post but i've been in a 2 day banter with some guys over in the fly fishing and tackle forum who claim the only way is to swing flies and everyone else who doesnt fish that way sucks. they openly claimed that nymphing, strike indicators, any spin fishing etc. ect is against the law in their book...the debate has just finally stabilized , but it kinda goes hand and hand with the direction that this thread has gone in. it just baffles me that there are people out there who hold such a superior attitude towards anyone who doesn't fish the way that they do. i am baffled completely. they went as far to say that fishing nymphs with a two handed fly rod is non kosher.. i mean come on now... it kills me there are people like this... it's people like this that should give us every reason to speak openly about views and opinions like we have in this thread. like most in this forum would agree, it's really just fishing when it boils down to it. spread the word where ever or however if you hear me on this one. everyone will benefit in the long run... it's just fishing... there are many ways to throw a rope... ENCOURAGE DIVERSITY IN YOUR FISHING COMMUNITY...
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/12/01 12:41:42 (permalink)
Hey Dime- frustrating aint it--
Bet if one really looked at methods during the ' Busy season" it might look  like this ( it clearly changes  in Winter)--
  1- outright snagging
  2- artful lifting ( mostly head hooks)
  3- a variety of spin fishing ( not snagging or lifting)
  4- fly guys ( not snagging or lifting)
  5- Pinners/spey guys
  6- sub categories of all of the above

Maybe those guys in 6 feel they have to speak loudly to be noticed, 

If they really wanted to get back to original "fishing" we would all be half naked throwing spears
post edited by retired guy - 2010/12/01 14:16:46
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/12/01 14:30:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: uglyfish

To each his own. I was told this year I shouldn't be using a 9'6" 7 weight at the fly zone way to small of a rod for salmon. I have a ball with it and that's all that matters if we extend the courtesy that we would want then the river would truely be experience for all. It only takes a couple bad apples to ruin it for all. My 2 cents

After the Fly Zone expert claimed that your rod did not have enough backbone you should have asked him what lb test tippet he was using.

I get a kick out of some guys using 9 wgt rods with 4 lb tippet.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/12/01 15:09:15 (permalink)
Hey retired its not that I think everyone should practice all methods. More so respect all methods. And also loose the superior attitudes....
4 lb on a 9 weight... yeah I've done it, but not in a long time.... 6 lb is the limit on 9 weight for me and that is even stretching it depending on action of the rod

llp30
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Seasons over 2010/12/01 18:10:48 (permalink)
Someone sent me this today and in light of this discussion it seems a perfect humorous addition. In no way meant as serious, but it's hilarious......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPD8L-AzLV0&feature=player_embedded

LP
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/12/01 18:50:25 (permalink)
hey llp; welcome aboard. i dont have flash to play it, maybe i'll install it soon. you should check out the thread in fly fishing and fly tackle forum named "any switchers out there". there is some serious debate and agressive back and forth about swinging versus nymphing. really only agressed by the ones who hold that elitist mentality if you know what i mean. do you fish the salmon at all?
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/12/01 19:08:23 (permalink)
lip - welcome aboard - that video is hilarious,

they need to make another with pinner-vs fly guy, and I'd like to hear the pinner tell the swinger:

"Your just pizzed because you try to work the whole river and I simply run my float between your legs and hook up!! "

retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/12/01 19:10:56 (permalink)
llp-hysterical
llp30
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Seasons over 2010/12/02 14:33:11 (permalink)
Thanks for the welcome. I do fish the salmon dime, since about early 90s. Fly fish, bottom bounce, float fish....whatever is working. Only live about an hour away and get up a lot of weekends. having a great year again this year so far and this rain will help even more. can't wait for the next trip!

LP
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/12/02 15:44:44 (permalink)
well last i looked a day or so ago it was between 5 and 6 grand cfs... i'm sure it's down a little bit now. gonna check right after this post actually. should be perfect for my trip next weekend. this time of year 750-1800 actual flow is prime time for me.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/12/02 16:14:51 (permalink)
actually down to 2200 with a 1500 release. nothing that would scare me away. once it stabilizes at a set level (whether it's 1500 or 1200 release) those fish should turn on big. it's that time of year...
post edited by dimebrite - 2010/12/02 16:15:11
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: Seasons over 2010/12/02 16:29:34 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: llp30

Someone sent me this today and in light of this discussion it seems a perfect humorous addition. In no way meant as serious, but it's hilarious......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPD8L-AzLV0&feature=player_embedded

This is hilarious!

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Seasons over 2010/12/02 17:13:25 (permalink)
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Seasons over 2010/12/02 18:04:41 (permalink)
That is some funny stuff. And yes- I am a nympher.

Lyrical
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: