Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
AdventureMen
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/19 07:57:57 (permalink)

Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th

With permission from PA Fish - AdventureMen Ministries will be serving up free chili to anyone who is fishing Walnut creek Saturday Nov 20th at 11:30 until everything is gone.  Look for a white SUV with a sign that says free chili somewhere in the parking lot near the stop sign.  Hope to see ya there.

Blessings on the streams - Greg

30 Replies Related Threads

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3157
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/19 09:27:31 (permalink)
    if you see this van.....RUN

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/19 09:29:19 (permalink)
    Sounds like a very nice thing to do.  I hope you have a good crowd.  Witness well and may the Spirit be with you. +

pax vobiscum +
    ROCKHARD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 877
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/19 11:01:41 (permalink)
    thank you for your kindness and genorosity,,,, GOD BLESS YOU

WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS A FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE,, SOME MEN YOU JUST CANT REACH
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5035
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/19 16:48:06 (permalink)
    I think I'll sneak over and padlock the little blue hut, after all that chili...

Cool deal, well done...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9868
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/19 17:16:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

I think I'll sneak over and padlock the little blue hut, after all that chili...

You would be a Youtube sensation, and my hero...

Very nice jesture.  Wish I would have made that steelhead seminar. 
    Bonezee77
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/19 19:48:42 (permalink)
    Chummin for steelies with chili.Is it legal?Might try tossing in a few kidney beans in next time I come up.Might replace the blue powerbate craze!
    Piscator
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/19 23:03:21 (permalink)
    Not to rain on your act of good charity but PA Fish is not the only government agency that you need to get permission from when serving food to the public at Walnut.  You need a temporary event license from the Erie County Department of Health even if you are just giving away the food.  If you already have the license, then you are good to go, but if you don’t then you are out of luck because you won’t be able to get one on a Saturday or at least it will be nearly impossible.  If you choose to still serve your chili then know that you’re operating illegally that is if you don’t have a license from ECDH already.  Chili can be dangerous when its not properly cooked, cooled, transported in large quantities, reheated and then served to the unknowing public.  Just a little advice…
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/19 23:24:12 (permalink)
    chili is only dangerous if someone who never ate a habenaro eats the habenaro/s. habernaros in chili is good food and makes chili not "dangerous". just sayin'

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/20 00:17:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Piscator

Not to rain on your act of good charity but PA Fish is not the only government agency that you need to get permission from when serving food to the public at Walnut.  You need a temporary event license from the Erie County Department of Health even if you are just giving away the food.  If you already have the license, then you are good to go, but if you don’t then you are out of luck because you won’t be able to get one on a Saturday or at least it will be nearly impossible.  If you choose to still serve your chili then know that you’re operating illegally that is if you don’t have a license from ECDH already.  Chili can be dangerous when its not properly cooked, cooled, transported in large quantities, reheated and then served to the unknowing public.  Just a little advice…

Go pizz on someone else's parade.
    If they want to give away chili let them.

Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/20 00:26:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Go pizz on someone else's parade.
    If they want to give away chili let them.

+1 pghmarty

I have become comfortably numb
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/20 04:53:11 (permalink)
    The Lord will provide.....

go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/20 09:12:00 (permalink)
    There is always one isn,t there!!

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    Pie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/20 09:47:55 (permalink)
    Not to rain on your act of good charity but PA Fish is not the only government agency that you need to get permission from when serving food to the public at Walnut. You need a temporary event license from the Erie County Department of Health even if you are just giving away the food. If you already have the license, then you are good to go, but if you don’t then you are out of luck because you won’t be able to get one on a Saturday or at least it will be nearly impossible. If you choose to still serve your chili then know that you’re operating illegally that is if you don’t have a license from ECDH already. Chili can be dangerous when its not properly cooked, cooled, transported in large quantities, reheated and then served to the unknowing public. Just a little advice…

haha..the food police would have a field day at college/pro football parking lots if they had a problem with friends getting together for some chilli...just sayin...enjoy guys...wish I could join you.
    diddle
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/20 10:18:13 (permalink)
    They are not GIVING it away,People are TAKING samples. (sort of like the skein deal at bait shops, only without the donation)
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/20 13:58:14 (permalink)
    Looks like Piscator signed on just to tell us the rules. He or she may own a place that sells food. Afraid it will dip into their lunch trade.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/20 15:34:11 (permalink)
    Piscator come one now, you aren't concerned about them having the proper license....you just hate getting gas while wearing waders. It tends to linger... ya know?

I hope it went well for you guys. Hot chili on a cold day, great idea! God bless.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    Piscator
    New Angler
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/20 23:12:30 (permalink)
    For your information guys, I’m not new to this forum.  I’ve been viewing and posting on this site for at least three years.  My old account wouldn’t log in yesterday so I made a new one, and I felt it was important to inform someone that they were possibly going to break the law.  In response to your posts: Tail gate parties are totally different situation.  It is a private group of people making food for friends and family and maybe the occasional stranger, but they all know what they are getting and they know the risk.  No, I don’t own a restaurant but I am involved in the business of keeping food safe for the public.  You can say that its just chili, but I want to see you say that after you or one your family members just got done spending 5 days in the hospital with a possible life threatening food borne illness that causes pain and discomfort, as well as, costing thousands of dollars.  Improperly handle chili can cause just that, and guess who would be responsible. The guy who advertised free chili on a public forum then hands out the chili on behest of an organization, and there is no loop whole for samples.  You give out food to the public then you need a license so ECDH can make sure that every effort to keep the public safe was taken by the people make and giving out the food.  Personally, I try to avoid breaking any laws but I guess you guys think it is ok to pick and choose which ones you want to follow just because you don’t think they are important.  You must be the guys that I see lifting with their fly rods and call it fishing when it really is snagging.  By the way, I was just providing information, I could have easily called the PA Fish and they would have been obligated to check for a license and stop the whole thing if he didn’t have it.  I’ve learned my lesson: No one on this forum has the right to provide information that might actual help someone from getting in trouble.  I hope guys all have good water and tight lines.  God Bless…
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/21 00:08:12 (permalink)
    And thank you for your contribution to the pussification of America.

FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/21 01:13:33 (permalink)

For your information guys, I’m not new to this forum.  I’ve been viewing and posting on this site for at least three years.  My old account wouldn’t log in yesterday so I made a new one, and I felt it was important to inform someone that they were possibly going to break the law.  In response to your posts: Tail gate parties are totally different situation.  It is a private group of people making food for friends and family and maybe the occasional stranger, but they all know what they are getting and they know the risk.  No, I don’t own a restaurant but I am involved in the business of keeping food safe for the public.  You can say that its just chili, but I want to see you say that after you or one your family members just got done spending 5 days in the hospital with a possible life threatening food borne illness that causes pain and discomfort, as well as, costing thousands of dollars.  Improperly handle chili can cause just that, and guess who would be responsible. The guy who advertised free chili on a public forum then hands out the chili on behest of an organization, and there is no loop whole for samples.  You give out food to the public then you need a license so ECDH can make sure that every effort to keep the public safe was taken by the people make and giving out the food.  Personally, I try to avoid breaking any laws but I guess you guys think it is ok to pick and choose which ones you want to follow just because you don’t think they are important.  You must be the guys that I see lifting with their fly rods and call it fishing when it really is snagging.  By the way, I was just providing information, I could have easily called the PA Fish and they would have been obligated to check for a license and stop the whole thing if he didn’t have it.  I’ve learned my lesson: No one on this forum has the right to provide information that might actual help someone from getting in trouble.  I hope guys all have good water and tight lines.  God Bless…

A health professional who can't spell loophole?
    mossy oak
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 883
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/21 03:34:18 (permalink)
    I GOTTA POOP!!!!!

Another DBAG joins our ranks...

MO

so save your breath I could not hear, I think I made it very clear...

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/21 05:18:14 (permalink)
    Go back to the government hole you crawled out out of...
    By the way what was your old screenname ???

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/21 08:26:51 (permalink)
    I hate to say it, but Piscator is correct.  Our lodge holds a fishing derby each spring for the local kids on the opening day of trout season.  We looked into what we needed to serve homemade cookies, brownies, etc...  Basically we were going to have to get a license to do that, so we opt'ed to give out Little Debbie cakes and some other prepackaged treats instead.  We were allowed to serve coffee and provide hot water to make instant coco as long as it was prepared in a licensed kitchen, which it was.  We also did not charge for the snacks, we just asked for donations, which btw ended up being more that what we would have gotten if we asked for the cost of the snacks and coffee.

I have also looked into having a dinner for the public at our church and ran into the same issue of getting a license, having an inspection by the health department, training the food handlers, etc...  We can do that, but the easiest way is to hire a caterer and have them prepare and serve the food at the church.

So guys this fellow is correct.  The rules are the rules and honestly I did not see in his original post any real attempt to be a jerk, but rather he was giving a warning so that the folks handing out the chili did not get shut down by the health department.  That would have been not a good situation for anyone.

As far as the potential for disease, there I am a clinical microbiologist by training and he is absolutely right on the money with the potential for serious food borne illness.  While if the chili is cooked and served properly it is generally a fairly lower risk food because of the fairly high acid content assuming a usual recipe containing tomatoes, but there is a risk of contamination with salmonella, listeria, camplyobacter, E. coli, etc... not to mention Staphylococcus and Clostrium food poisoning.  Another concern would be proper training of the food handlers and preparers.  All it takes is one little slip up and a lot of people will be sick.  The littlest mistake can make a huge difference.

The last thing to add is the last time I checked the CDC web,  FoodNet reported millions of cases of food borne disease across the country with most likely, millions more cases not reported.  Generally speaking the average healthy person can deal with a food borne illness pretty well, but you are going to be pretty sick; vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, muscle aches, fever, etc... but the elderly, children and some immunocompromised individuals may develop significant disease and there are some who will die.  In a nursing home outbreak in CT in the late 1980's if I remember correctly 12 residents died from salmonella infections.

Guys, I don't want to sound like a jerk here.  I think the folks who made the chili and served it were doing what they thought was a good thing,and I would tend to agree with that, but The Erie County Health Department has some very strict rules that are in place to protect you.  Hopefully this is a learning experience for everyone and future events will be done in accordance with the rules so everyone is safe and can have a great time.
    post edited by Bughawk - 2010/11/21 13:26:14

pax vobiscum +
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/21 08:52:39 (permalink)
    Sad day in this country when the government tells you you can't give away free food..

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/21 13:24:29 (permalink)
    Govt isn't saying you cannot give away free food,  they just want to be sure it is safe.  The other side of it is the license and training helps to protect the people giving the food away.  Nothing like a lawsuit to ruin your day. 

One of the guys who I work with has a daughter to got salmonella and it almost killed her.  They racked up thousands in hospital bills, not to mention the pain and suffering.  He ended up suing the company who had made the food to cover the medical bills. 

In our current climate people will sue at the least thing, you can bet that you will get sued for serving contaminated food.  With proper preparation and licenses the chances of that happening will be less likely.

pax vobiscum +
    Piscator
    New Angler
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/21 13:35:40 (permalink)
    Thank you Bughawk for the information.  I only intended to give information and a bit of a heads up to the provider of the chili.  What is the old saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."  This goes for myself, in posting the warning, and for the provider of the chili.  FiveMilePete: I apologize for being human and making a grammatical error when I typed loop whole when it should have been loophole.  Thank you for correcting my mistake.  BingsBaits: As for my old screen name, I think I'll keep that to myself so that I can post on topics without drawing ridicule from narrow minded individuals that have made snap judgments based on their lack of knowledge on a subject like food safety.  Sorry if that sounded mildly harsh, it wasn't my intent because everyone has a right to their opinion.  I look forward to everyone's upcoming remarks and I'm so glad that this forum has turned into such a positive place to exchange thoughts and ideas over the last few years...
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/21 14:18:58 (permalink)
    Piscator, I am sure you meant well! But you threw in a negative. I think me and many guy's are tired of the negative. A guy will post a picture of a fish and the weight and someone will question the weight,, he is not holding it right,why did he keep it.etc. others, not enough fish, too many people (never thinking they are part of the problem), why don't the Fish comm. make landowners open up there land "these are our fish" we paid for them?, etc,etc,etc,

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/21 16:39:54 (permalink)
    I think Split shot makes a good point here.  I have noticed on the forum that often people will make a comment and the tone of the comment as interpreted by the people reading it often as negative, when I would bet the person posting it did not intend it to be so.

When we communicate with each other in person, we can look at the person and pick up all sorts of nonverbal communication about what the person is saying, but here all we have are words and if the person writing is not extremely careful in how they say what they are trying to communicate, misunderstandings will occur.  What I think we have here is a classic case of failure to communicate... When I look into a person's eyes and watch how they interact with me, I can tell a lot about what they are really trying to say.  On here, we don't have that, all we have is our words and words are not always going to get the job done.

I applaud group that sponsored the chili.  It seems they did their homework in getting permission from the Fish and Boat Commission, but made an honest mistake in not contacting the Health Department.  To be perfectly honest, I only found out about the Health Department rules in an indirect way by talking with a person who worked for the Health Department at a Rotary meeting.  It is not very clear what the rules are and most people would never think about contacting the Health Department to find out.

In the end, I hope the chili was good, the folks providing it made a positive difference in people's lives and we all learned something here.  In life we can see problems all around and want to lay blame for them.  We also can take a different approach and see the problems as opportunities.  I am working to change my life from always dwelling on the negative to looking for the positive in all situations.  Believe you me, that is not easy, but the more I look for the positive, the more I find it.  Also, I have found the negatives are often no where near as bad as I imagined.  If we work together instead of listening to the voices of discontent that only want to stir the pot and keep us fighting amongst ourselves, we will be able to create a much more peaceful and harmonious world to live in.

Good luck to all who come to fish.

pax vobiscum +
    Piscator
    New Angler
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/21 18:02:01 (permalink)
    I didn't mean it to be a negative.  I was trying to prevent a negative situation where a good intentioned group gets a bad name by breaking laws that they may not have been aware of at the time.  I understand what you guys mean by all the negatives, and I'm sorry if I contributed to the atmosphere of negativity.  This forum seems to be filled with people that want to fight and I try not to take offense, but when someone attacks me for trying to provide information to someone that might break the law then in makes me angry.  I do really appreciate the honest feed back. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read my posts... 
    AdventureMen
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Free Chili at Walnut Sat Nov 20th 2010/11/21 20:17:22 (permalink)
    Thanks folks for all your comments and concerns, next time we will check with the proper agencies as recommended. It was good to serve, fish and eat with everyone…I must say we met some really awesome people and the Lord was surely with us. Blessings on the streams - Greg

www.adventuremen.org
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: