Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/17 22:13:56 (permalink)

Mid River 11-15

I was up for three days but due to a work project at the cabin I only fished a total of 5-6 hours, mostly on Monday.

Fished mid-river to avoid the cluster**** up top.

Tried a couple of spots near Clarks Falls that I have not visited since last year..I was amazed at how some of the familiar runs changed course since the big waters of Oct 1. An entire rock ledge that I used to stand on is gone and is now replaced with a deep hole - the rocks were pushed downstream about 30 yards.. Amazing how the water can gouge stuff and tumble boulders.

It should be a great holding area for the winter..I will be back to that spot.

Only hooked up with a few and landed two smaller Steelies. No browns.
I let the fly rod rest and used the float rod and mostly fished with white, chartreuse and pink jigs tipped with wax worms..

No action on the beads - maybe the fish are getting used to them - who knows.

Back in a couple of weeks - hopefully mid week.

p.s. - I enjoyed a couple of peaceful drinks on Friday afternoon with a friendly area contractor..  

post edited by draketrutta - 2010/11/17 22:15:24

34 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/17 23:06:48 (permalink)
    Tried beads for the first time a few weeks ago-no luck. I had them over orange and then blue sacs and pinned them just the way the shop  showed me. They had one set up on the wall .
    Tried just the blue sacs in the same area later in the day and had some action. Maybe I'm not setting them up right or the fish just turned on later but I'll stick with sucess and just go with the eggs.
    Good luck next time= if you dont freeze. Im about done till late march or april, unless we are up X country skiing this winter and get a fair day.

Just saw your other post on the spring flies- right on - I wear my turkey face netting and light gloves-darn things still get in and bite.
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/11/17 23:10:15
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/18 23:03:03 (permalink)
    Eggs are pretty creamy now I bet. white jigs/flesh flies or stonefly nymphs would be my choice. Maybe some kinda big wet fly or streamer for kicks, but I'd fish the crap out of white marabou, wets, hares ears & stoneflies. Not that I consider myself any kinda guru- just what I would do.

Lyrical
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/18 23:36:19 (permalink)
    Never had to think about the egg condition after mid Nov. I generally stop fishing then till late march or early April, I appreciate the tip though,  just in case for the odd occasional winter trip.   Thanks.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/19 00:03:43 (permalink)
    Salmo I was using 1/32 oz white jigs, and even tried a bead head white wooley bugger for awhile..

White usually works in November.

Must have been an off day...

I was floating chartreuse too in hopes of hooking a big Trutta mid river - but the water was lower and clear - I knew that was probably a bad choice - but you never know what those fish will hit.

Have not tossed stone flies yet - I will give them a try next trip up - hopefully there will some snow on the ground by then.
    I use a pattern I copied from some flies I bought from Pat Mahoney years ago - with some red,blue, or gold in the back.

Can't recall what the colored material is called - it's little strips of rubber like material that is sometimes used to build wing cases on flies..
    It works really well...

later

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/19 07:49:50 (permalink)
    creamy can be good in my opinion... in many ways other than fishing as well...lol... i find sacs produce well all the way in to early january sometimes. keep in mind that browns are beginning to spawn and will continue to spawn for a while now. and steelhead love brown eggs best. i have 2 quarter pound containers of loose steelhead eggs that i cured last spring. on my last outing i tried them out. i only had blue pink and orange netting and also took a buddy of mine out for the day so we purchased some store bought salmon sacs as well just in case we ran out. sure enough, i had not one take on the salmon sacs, but 10 on the trout... so needless to say, don't count out the sacs or egg patterns just yet. estaz patterns should be productive as well... i usually start using brighter nymph patterns in late fall early winter. come january, i strictly use custom tied all natural dubbing and feather nymphs and they work great. the salmon river is very abundant with nymphs, and in my time, i've come to find that it is the winter time when the steelhead start realizing this. remember they come from the lake and they don't eat nymphs in the lake, so it takes them a while to catch on. not to say a nymph wouldn't work right now, but it wouldn't be my top choice this time of year. for big wets and streamers, i would use them down low and i would be very happy and content to roll even just one fish... that is with no weight i'm referring to...
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/19 18:50:20 (permalink)
    I forgot about the Brown Trouts spawning. 

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/19 19:46:28 (permalink)
    dont forget about summer run steel which spawn in feb and march... so in reality there are eggs in the river for just about all of steelhead season. and for some odd reason trout eggs work best on trout
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/19 22:12:59 (permalink)
    Salmon eggs work just fine for me.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/20 07:11:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: metalslayer

Salmon eggs work just fine for me.

just as they have for me as well metal... but there have been too many times where in a comparison test that trout have prevailed for me. especially when i'm using trout and hooking fish and everyone around me is using salmon and not... it's no secret either; i think most veterans would agree with me. they are smaller, softer, and have a different scent... all key factors in triggering a strike. i will add though that if you cure your own salmon eggs, they will work much better than store bought i have found as well...
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/20 09:47:55 (permalink)
    Dime could the difference in success be party due to the saimin eggs being store bought. Store eggs are cured to last longer for sale not for maximum milking. I have never found much difference in eggs myself.
    Sorry this came before I saw your comment on store bought eggs.
    post edited by waDerboy - 2010/11/20 09:49:56
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/20 10:44:41 (permalink)
    yes just as i said i've had more success with home cured salmon rather than store bought. but to be honest, my recipe allows eggs to be refrigerated for 6-12 months, and if frozen 12-24... the eggs i used 2 weeks ago have been stored since last march so that is going on 9 months. this is definitely an objective discussion rather than subjective, it all comes down to trial and error and what you think works best. i encourage anyone to try it though. since i was a little boy i was always told about trout eggs working better, and i have learned myself through trial and error that they do. this is now my 3rd season since i've gone back to using anything other than flies since some time around 1993. honestly though, i encourage all to experiment. another example; this past weekend my friend fished ellis cove and had a 20 hook up day. one of his better days ever since the mid 90's he claims. he started with flies with no success and then went to his home made brown trout sacs on the fly rod. he was one out of maybe 25 guys in sight who were mostly fishing egg sacs and no one came close to hooking as many as him. try it; that's all i can say. remember, it's not that i don't think salmon eggs don't work, i just believe from my own experience that trout eggs work not better but much better. i let it rest on that note...
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/20 11:56:14 (permalink)
    If you don't have eggs try worms,half a nightcrawler is filet mignon to a Steel or Brown,the only problem is they're messy.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/20 14:21:10 (permalink)
    Nightwalker chunks work well - tipped on jigs too.
    I was going to buy some instead of the little waxies - oh well - perhaps next trip.

I think most folks resorted to usingthe Berkely pink worm instead of live worms. The pinkies work well all throughout the winter.
    I have no idea what makes a fish hit a rubber pink worm when the water temps are in the 30's - especially considering there is no natural food in the river at that time of year that even slightly resembles a bubble-gum colored worm... Another fish mystery !!

I gotta agree with DB - IMO for whatever reason brown trout eggs seem to work better than salmon or steelie eggs - especially in the later months of the year - could be that the Brownies are spawning in Nov & Dec and their loose eggs are more plentiful.

I don't use too many eggs, but when I do I don't even bother curing them or skein. I just rinse them and put in individual freezer safe packages to prevent freezer burn and they hold up well for me and milk when fished. I like tying up skein sacks when it is partially frozen - no ooey gooey mess to deal with.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/20 16:37:39 (permalink)
    it could be that it is something different as well... different scent size and color... cold water cure is defintiely best. try to not used chlorinized water though. either well or river water... for night crawlers; they are the best known secret. everyone knows they work great but not too many people use them. for fly only guys; you'd be surprised at how well san juan worms in just about any color work
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/20 18:29:34 (permalink)
    I too believe that trout eggs work better---just w/ salmon eggs so plentiful----I have/see no need to slit a brown.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/21 02:15:10 (permalink)
    i see your point... any brown i've kept for eggs was from oswego. only one SR brown kept by me when i was young and mounted it. on my seasonal average though i have primarily used a fly probably 95 % of my time fishing the area. keep in mind, i eat them though. brown trout cooked ina pan with veggies butter and garlic; a delicasse... not an often occurence though... let me ask metal, do you prefer coho eggs since they are smaller?
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/21 05:35:57 (permalink)
    If I can get 1---where I fish almost makes the prospect an impossibility--did get 1 2yrs ago though.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/21 08:02:34 (permalink)
    that's a shame, cohos are great... even when a just strictly coho run comes in you can't catch one in your spot? why fish one spot only?
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/21 09:47:55 (permalink)
    I loves garden hackle-specially in Spring
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/21 13:21:25 (permalink)
    I have no qualms about catching, keeping, slitting, and pan frying a brown trout once in awhile either in Pa or NY.

Both places are put and take fisheries.

It's not like I do it everyday, and almost never keep a full limit - the only execption being a couple of streams down here in Pa where the Pa Fish Commission in their ultimate wisdom have stocked browns in lower stretches of cold water streams that hold native brook trout.

The situation is known to locals and we do our very best to clean the stream of the browns - which are more aggressive than the brook trout and eventually would take over the stream and crash the brookie population.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/21 13:27:05 (permalink)
    so drake when are we gonna butt heads up there?
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/21 13:31:56 (permalink)
    I will send you a PM before my next trip.

I was hoping for T-day weekend, but I think I will stick around Pa,visit with family, and keep the better half happy.

Hopefully the weekend after that.

Will have a full week up there later in  December - just not sure which week that is yet.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/21 13:40:57 (permalink)
    i've got just about the same thing going here. used to go up every t day, now not every year. have always done better in early november and mid to late december anyways. don't forget to bring a face mask and **** cup for the brawl out in kasoag parking lot....all are welcome...place bets no later than 12 midnight the night before... lmao...
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/21 14:05:30 (permalink)
    DB - there will be no fights in the Kasoeg parking lot once the Lake Effect snow machine gears up in December.

Too many sledders and "second-hand" to walk through to get to the ring.

By the time you raise a fist, you will feel all peacy and lovey and huggy...  LMFAO !!!!

Good Times 4 Sure !!!

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/21 14:53:39 (permalink)
    those late night sledders can be a trip and a half. i've yet to get one myself. maybe it's better off because i would be too inclined to just drink even more...
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/21 16:18:48 (permalink)
    I catch PLENTY of hoes(just not loose ones).The last time I saw a loose hoe in DSR was when they had that one w/ the smoking bod on patrol.

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/21 17:21:08 (permalink)
    Metal - if you feel inclined to chase after a strange 2-legger hoe, the DSR would be the perfect place.

Afterall, when you get home smelling like fish, your better half won't be suspicious about it..

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/21 19:08:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: metalslayer

I catch PLENTY of hoes(just not loose ones).The last time I saw a loose hoe in DSR was when they had that one w/ the smoking bod on patrol.

ahhh, yes the keyword "loose" that was left out. i thought you meant you don't catch any hoes at all. my wife is just like that too, always leaving the keyword out and it gets me every time...lol...btw, all i fish is DSR for salmon as well metal...theres nothing like those lower river hoes; especially when they decide to either stay around or play the back and forth game. gotta love it...
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: Mid River 11-15 2010/11/21 19:48:59 (permalink)
    Just got back from 4 days of slow fishing. I dont know if it was the full moon or the up and down temps but it was pretty slow. White eggs took 2 big steel, blue eggs took 9 trophy size suckers and chubs. Nothing on beeds(pearl,pink) One small brown on a pink worm. Thats it for 2 guys in 3 days. Once again stayed away from the crowds lifting up river. I went to altmar and seen many lifted, I mean hooked below the fly only section. Great time had by all though. Good food,beer,fire,friends. Its like a new river to figure out, many new holes because of the flood. Many holes gone/changed is a bit of a bummer but It will be fun to find new ones again.
    fishon
    post edited by jonnyfishon - 2010/11/21 19:58:26
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: