Finally over 4 me.

Author
waspman
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/13 14:05:18 (permalink)

Finally over 4 me.

After hunting 16 days this archery season (3 of those were full days), I was able to see my 3rd deer this morning. Yes my THIRD of the season. I hope some other hunters are a little worried about the Venango County/2F deer population.
Please don't think the deer are just nocturnal, we have cameras out on old trails. The apple trees have rotted apples under them, the acorns are under the oaks by the hundreds. We got a few pictures of a squirrel under the oak trees, but that's all. The farmers have had little if no crop damage. I have hunted these same funnels, draws, fields, and thickets for years. In previous years I have seen as many as 30 deer in a morning, until the last few years. I am surrounded by posted property that has no hunting on it, and still the population has dropped horribly! I fear this area is going to be like the Allegheny Forest some day.

What can be done to insure there will be deer here in the future for our children? Very few will throw away Doe tags , few will just shoot bucks, and few will stand together against the PGC about this...J.T.

9 Replies Related Threads

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Finally over 4 me. 2010/11/13 22:36:42 (permalink)
    Welcome to the New World Order.
    smally hunter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Finally over 4 me. 2010/11/14 03:16:30 (permalink)
    just saying i live in venango county and hunt both local and 2f ... the deer are there , this is all i can say ill post some pics of a trail cam i have right behind my apartment building
    smally hunter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Finally over 4 me. 2010/11/14 04:01:55 (permalink)

and heres my favorite pic of the year

post edited by smally hunter - 2010/11/14 04:16:25
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Finally over 4 me. 2010/11/14 09:21:11 (permalink)
    It seems as though you can ask 10 guys who all hunt within a 10 mile radius in a low deer density area and you will find 2 of the 10 will say there are plenty to be had.  For whatever reason, food, cover, pressure, etc will make some areas clearly better than others.  If you have one of those areas, be glad for it and take care of it.  Just my opinion.

Sorry to hear about your experiences this year, waspman.  Seems the best solution to me would be to become active in your direct hunting community by organizing like minded individuals to help your herd recover, in spite of the PGC over allocation of doe tags.
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Finally over 4 me. 2010/11/15 07:47:11 (permalink)
    I also live in Venango and there are deer. If you are NOT seeing them, why would you stay in the same place?

MOVE!

Part of the "problem" with deer hunting here these days is in your first paragraph. "I have hunted the same........for years".
    Although I don't arechery hunt, many friends do. One saw 19 different bucks this archery season and trust me, he's no Fred Bear or Ted Nugent. He simply knocks on doors and asks permission...Deer populations are definately NOT what they used to be, no argument, but there are deer and you need to change your hunting and tactics.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Finally over 4 me. 2010/11/15 13:22:26 (permalink)
    I repeat what ready2fish said, I give the same advice for those complaining here in 2F too ...

I even tried several new spots this early fall season and found 3 that were good to great and 3 private properties that royally sucked.. 2 of those where I never saw a single deer in a couple trips there .. NONE... won't be back there any time soon...

I found one new good spot and in three trips there I saw over a dozen different deer.. lots of sign, food and cover.. it may be here I go on opening morning instead of my hemlocks.. ????

the days of sitting on the same stump year after year and waiting for the deer to get pushed by are gone .... you actually have to HUNT for them now ... and waiting for the opening day to start that hunt may not be the best thing to do....
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Finally over 4 me. 2010/11/15 16:27:07 (permalink)
    Why aren't there as many deer now as there used to be ?
    waspman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Finally over 4 me. 2010/11/15 22:27:00 (permalink)
    Ready2 fish...Moving is what I am best at. I hunted 7 locations this year.                                                                            

Dr.Trout....The property is aprox 2 miles square.I guess what puzzles me the most is the lack of deer sign.I hunt hard and no 4 wheeler either. After 25 years of achery, I found that alot of work pays off. I have shot the last 16 bucks,and more than 20 doe hunting Pa and OH with a bow in my life.I have a good track record for all the work I put in.  You can be Fred,Jacky,Ted, or outdoor channel king. If there are no deer, it doesn't matter who you are, or how hard you hunt..rifle or bow.

Outdoor Adventures.... That question will gather lots of opinions. The change from 3 days of Doe hunting to 2 weeks of Doe (with buck)..That was when the population started down. My 2 cents.

There's room for all gods creatures....right next to the taters and gravy.
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Finally over 4 me. 2010/11/17 07:08:01 (permalink)
    Wasp are you sure the hunting pressure hasn't forced the deer into the private property???? I have seen that before and if the deer were spooked to many times you will never see them. Why would they leave a un-pressured hunting area???? OutdoorAdventure Quote ( Why aren't there as many deer now as there used to be ? )BECAUSE I KILLED THEM ALL!!!!! I think we all got your POINT!!!!! Just how many times can you KICK THAT DEAD HORSE any how LOLoLOL OH WELL go on I'm sure somebody will give you a hanky BESAFEANDGOOKLUCK Dave
    post edited by BIGHEAD - 2010/11/17 07:09:36

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
    Jump to: