Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
270wbmag
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 347
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/08 05:44:58 (permalink)

Buck HIt=track or wait????

This happened in a camp near me, hunter hit a buck with a crossbow quartering towards him at 20 yards as it busted him in the tree, up 30 ft..quiver hit tree..buck looked right up at him..shot, bolt was a passthru..buck went and layed down 40 yards where he watched it for 20 minutes until in got dark..left area and went back to camp..Rain forecasted for after midnight...Track before rain or wait til am..????? Bolt covered with bright red blood and angle very high..need expert opinions and i will tell you what happened..

30 Replies Related Threads

tmiller
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/08 06:21:35 (permalink)
    I would give about 2-4 hours since you got that much time before the rain comes. Then I would start very cautiously.
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/08 06:35:57 (permalink)
    Well from the time you say the deer was shot and what time you posted what differacne does it make know???????? It's like 12 hours later!!! Go look for the deer. If it was a good shot the deer will be dead.

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/08 07:17:03 (permalink)
    Get it before the rain. Bright red is good. If the deer only went 40 it is in bad shape. Missing a little detail on the time frame and reaction by the deer at the shot and immediately after , the terrain and foliage type but with the scenario given, deer should be dead in a short time. Hard to track a deer with no sign if it rains. Bright blood, I would push it.A few hours max of wait....WF
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/08 09:20:21 (permalink)
    where did you get the 12 hours, this happened last week..shot it behind the front shoulder, coming towards him ,sharp angle because of 30 ft up in tree...1 hour before dark when it was hit, watched it run 40 yards like i said and laid down..got up once and only went 10 yards and laid down again..he then came back to his camp ..argument is...go before rain or wait til next day..need you guys input..then i will tell you the results..
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/08 09:39:46 (permalink)
    Hit sounds good...so go look for it.

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1670
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/08 09:47:33 (permalink)
    Sounds like a liver/paunch shot. I'd let it lay over nite rain or not.
    Chances are as long as it wasn't spooked by him climbing down it would be in the same bed in the morning. I wouldn't want to push it then lose the blood trail
    Mike

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/08 10:12:56 (permalink)
    If it was laying down when you left leave it until morning. If a fatal hit or serious but non fatal it won't move more than a few yards if at all and will be dead and meat still ok in the morning or so unwilling to move you can finish it off. If you go after it early you risk jumping and losing it.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/08 11:17:49 (permalink)
    Assuming he hit it around the end of shooting time Roughly 6:30 pm.......I would go back in at 11:30 pm or as long as the radar looked like you would have an hour or so before the rain. That gives 5 hours of bleed out time.

If he really did hit it just behind the front shoulder then he got some vitals....Depends also on what the bolt looked like. I tracked one of these (almost identical) a few weeks ago. Arrow entered just behind front shoulder high and exited low in the guts. Had good bright blood but slime on the arrow. Deer layed down @ 60 yards and was jumped by the shooter leaving his stand. Deer went about another 350 and was found dead there the following morning, but had been dead quite some time. 1 lung, liver, guts. Not a great trail because the guts tend to plug the exit hole. The good news is the low exit will let the cavity drain and should get some blood to follow.

I'm goin in between 11 and 11:30 that night jjust before the rain. And would expect to find him where he bedded unless he was jumped by hunters or predators.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/08 18:51:44 (permalink)
    My $0.02 says that deer isn't going anywhere as long as not pushed.  If fatal shot, he'll be there within 30 yards of the last place spotted.  Rain or not, you won't need a blood trail to find him.  Just might take a couple hours to expire.  I'd wait until morning, even with the rain forecast.

I'm coming from experience on this one, although I'm not proud of the shots I made, it worked twice for me in the past.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/08 19:49:26 (permalink)
    No expert here but if the buck was alive after twenty minutes, I would go get him in the morning.  Even without a blood trail, he should not be far if he wasn't pushed. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/08 19:52:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Claypool313

My $0.02 says that deer isn't going anywhere as long as not pushed.  If fatal shot, he'll be there within 30 yards of the last place spotted.  Rain or not, you won't need a blood trail to find him.  Just might take a couple hours to expire.  I'd wait until morning, even with the rain forecast.

+1

Some wise archers have always told me "if the deer is dead is dead in 1 hour it will be dead in 10." Your odds of recovering a liver or gut shot(both fatal more often than not) deer go down substantially after each time you bump them.
    post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2010/11/08 19:58:47
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/09 05:30:21 (permalink)
    WF you should have said this was last week and you were looking for opinions. I would have slipped out and went to see what the radar had to say like MM said. If the forcasted rain passed then waiting till morning would be the way to go. But there always a chance a coyote or loose dog may have a free meal. And I have seen that happen.
    post edited by BIGHEAD - 2010/11/09 05:31:46
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/09 09:02:06 (permalink)
    here is what traspired::::::....waited 3 hours from time it was hit, rain only hour away, tracked deer with a bright red blood trail, laid down 3 times within 100 yards, after 3 time, they backed out and waited til morning..rained all night...went in and found nothing after 3 hours of searching..heavy mountain laurel...looked in small creeks nearbye and spend afternoon looking in area also..MY opinion...it was a toss up whether to track or not because of rain...sometimes 30 ft .. up is too high because of angle..20 ft up would have taken both lungs..hate to see deer lost, any deer..but Sh#T happens ....any one feel he lived??????
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/09 09:18:41 (permalink)
    No, arrows through the body cavity do not live. In the limbs or muscle groups maybe.

the one lung / liver shot I tracked last week went 400 yards.

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/09 12:37:51 (permalink)
    I agree with MM, dead as a stone somewhere. Sounds like a liver hit, as he said. IMO, the way you did it was ok. Depending on how far it went each time it was bumped, pushing it may have worked. Also, 30 feet I believe is too high for the reasons MM and you said. But since it got away, the experts would second guess the method you used. Like you said, sh#t happens....WF
    tmiller
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/09 21:24:11 (permalink)
    If the arrow even got one lung, deer is dead somewhere.
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/09 22:09:19 (permalink)
    i dont think he lived..if that was me...i woulda waited til last minute, knowing me i woulda been up all night so i could know when as it maybe just started to rain and look that way in the rain.. and if i jumped it once, i woulda backed out the first time. and marked that area, and came back at first light.

30ft is to high. i never gone above 18- and alot of the times im below 15..more like 12ft.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/10 08:55:28 (permalink)
    Go back with a gun! I know its not legal but guaranteed to work. I would have to be there to make that decision. I'm no pro I've lost a few in my years of hunting. My guess with what you said would be leave it there till morning probably won't get back up unless someone or something jumped it. If it got back up in morning, well then I guess that wasn't a good enough shot.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/10 09:02:36 (permalink)
    Read the rest of the post after my answer. My guess DEAD! But if it makes your buddy feel better tell him its still probably alive. My cousin hit one last archery and never found it, Same deal high in a tree and a bad shot, He actually thought it was a good shot but we seen the buck 2 or 3 weeks later limping. He took a low shot that would have been great if ground hunting.

If he would have left the buck there and not jumped it, probably would have founf it in the AM.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/10 09:18:16 (permalink)
    I know rain is bad when tracking but now if we were allowed to take a dog on a leash to track it.....

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/10 12:29:52 (permalink)
    I think they will get that passed soon Mika.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/10 14:18:17 (permalink)
    PA is so behind the times on some of the regs its not even funny. Why not track a hit/wounded deer thats going to die anyway with a dog? Why not hunt on Sunday? Why not hunt over some corn or apples? Thats what limits and tags are for!! Free country my AZZ!

I've said this for years...PA needs to just look over to our neighbors and see what true management and quality public hunting should be. They get monster bucks over there and don't need some cream coated antler restriction to get them.....I say eliminate rifles in many PA areas, bring back the seperate buck and doe seasons OR only make it a week long together; Do away with the antler restrictions for those who don't trophy hunt and don't end the archery season for that week before the gun season (stupid IMO), allow sunday hunting for those with limited time to hunt. Ohio is spot on and PA needs to follow!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2010/11/10 14:22:58

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/10 14:18:52 (permalink)
    A friend of mine used to raise world class Drathaars (yes, he competed around the world with them).  One of the tests is blood tracking a big game animal.  He would volunteer to run his dogs on preserves to track wounded deer just to get them the exposure.  It was truely something to see.

Because a Drathaar is a versitile gun dog -- it points birds, chases rabbits, water retrieves fowl, tracks and kills varmits, and blood tracks big game, they are clued into what they are doing based on what collar they have on.  The big game collar is wide and thick and has a leather tab hanging from it.  The dog is released to look for the wounded game and when it finds it, it actually flips the tab up into its mouth and returns to the hunter.  From the location of the tab, the hunter knows that the dog has found the game.  The dog will then walk at heel, without a leash, and lead the hunter to the game.  When within a certain distance from the big game animal, the dog will lie down to signal that they are close.  At this point the hunter has two options, go to the game himself and dispatch it, while the dog remains in the "down" position or command the dog to "kill" in which case the dog will approach the downed animal and rip its throat out.

When these dogs were originally bred on German estates, game was for the table and for the market.  Lost game was lost food or lost revenue.  By training these dogs in this manner, nothing went to wast that was wounded.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    bigben7
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 885
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/11/27 16:30:29 (permalink)
    if u didnt crush it,always give the deer time to die. they wont go far if u dont push them.
    streamerfisher1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/12/08 20:19:13 (permalink)
    Brother hit on like that about 6 years ago swore he hit it hightoward the back and there was plenty of bright red blood and he was high in a tree i believe like 30 ft we tracked that deer after letting it lay all night.never found it till first sat of rifle season when i killed it on a drive. skinned it out and the broad head was stuck in the leg bone right under the body i think he misjudged where he hit it.
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/12/08 20:47:17 (permalink)
    Every liver shot deer I've witnessed never left the spot it was shot.  IMO it was not hit in the liver.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/12/08 20:56:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DarDys

A friend of mine used to raise world class Drathaars (yes, he competed around the world with them).  One of the tests is blood tracking a big game animal.  He would volunteer to run his dogs on preserves to track wounded deer just to get them the exposure.  It was truely something to see.

Because a Drathaar is a versitile gun dog -- it points birds, chases rabbits, water retrieves fowl, tracks and kills varmits, and blood tracks big game, they are clued into what they are doing based on what collar they have on.  The big game collar is wide and thick and has a leather tab hanging from it.  The dog is released to look for the wounded game and when it finds it, it actually flips the tab up into its mouth and returns to the hunter.  From the location of the tab, the hunter knows that the dog has found the game.  The dog will then walk at heel, without a leash, and lead the hunter to the game.  When within a certain distance from the big game animal, the dog will lie down to signal that they are close.  At this point the hunter has two options, go to the game himself and dispatch it, while the dog remains in the "down" position or command the dog to "kill" in which case the dog will approach the downed animal and rip its throat out.

When these dogs were originally bred on German estates, game was for the table and for the market.  Lost game was lost food or lost revenue.  By training these dogs in this manner, nothing went to wast that was wounded.

Would be awesome to watch those dogs work....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/12/08 21:18:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

PA is so behind the times on some of the regs its not even funny.

http://forums.fishusa.com/Stupid_PA_game_laws/m_361179/tm.htm
    Tracker12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 174
    RE: Buck HIt=track or wait???? 2010/12/09 13:07:05 (permalink)
    A deer that stops and stands or lays down in 40 yards is hit in the paunch.  The arrow may have caught a lung but that bolt ended up thru the guts.  Deer do not live long with a liver hit.  You have to let that deer lay down until morning.  Been there and done that.  Hit a deer that way early this year during archery season.  Watched that deer stand still for over and hour until a kid boo booping thru the woods spooked her.  I just let her go since I kewn the area she was running towards.  The next morning I found her 80 yards away.  Took a little while but I was familar with which way deer run when spooked.  Only decision to start early would be if the weather was so warm it forced me to speed up my search.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: