Lead ban?

Author
tigercat
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 196
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/27 10:56:56 (permalink)

Lead ban?

Any news or comments on the bill to ban the use of lead for fishing?

14 Replies Related Threads

tigercat
    Avid Angler
    RE: Lead ban? 2010/10/27 11:00:40 (permalink)
    I'm totally against it. I'll loose a ton of money between sinkers and jigs and the molds I have. I'm sure others feel the same.How much will it cost the fishermen to replace lead with something else? I'm sure some company with a replacement material is lobbying hard for the ban and plan to make a fortune.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Lead ban? 2010/10/27 11:13:37 (permalink)
    Lead is toxic. It has nothing to do with any company
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Lead ban? 2010/10/27 11:43:49 (permalink)
    Bill or no bill, I'm fishing with lead.
    Swans500
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 329
    RE: Lead ban? 2010/10/27 13:23:07 (permalink)
    Yeah, sure it is toxic, but a minute fraction compared to the toxicity COMPANIES and governments have (and continue to) plied into the waterways and oceans!!!!

Just another deliberate irritation to put on to amateur fishermen....by companies and governments. Both should have WAY more to worry about!

ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lead ban? 2010/10/27 14:04:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Swans500

Yeah, sure it is toxic, but a minute fraction compared to the toxicity COMPANIES and governments have (and continue to) plied into the waterways and oceans!!!!

Just another deliberate irritation to put on to amateur fishermen....by companies and governments. Both should have WAY more to worry about!

ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

I understand companies are responsible for all sorts of different pollutants out there. Does that have anything to do with the current proposed lead ban? Just saying to the OP that there is no conspiracy theory going on, as people often believe.

This ban will probably accomplish very little if passed, but the fact remains the driving force behind the ban is that lead is toxic and can be harmful.

tigercat
    Avid Angler
    RE: Lead ban? 2010/10/27 14:09:28 (permalink)
    Good a civil healthy debate.Both sides all have good reasons.Sometimes maybe we should meet in the middle.How about some kind of phase out of lead? Don't know how that could fly But?????
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Lead ban? 2010/10/27 14:35:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tigercat

Good a civil healthy debate.Both sides all have good reasons.Sometimes maybe we should meet in the middle.How about some kind of phase out of lead? Don't know how that could fly But?????

I'm 100% against it. Nobody is out there eating it. This radical liberal crap usually originates in California and everyone says something like "it's just a fishing sinker" and it goes through. Then things begin to erode from there. ..."it's just shot shells"..."it's just handgun bullets"..."it's just hunting bullets"...."it's just bullets". Remember when the right to bear arms wasn't supposed to be infringed upon? Look at the obscene thing the 2nd amendment has turned into.

I haven't heard a good reason yet to ban it. I've got 17 more reasons not to ban it in case this thread goes to 45 pages.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lead ban? 2010/10/27 14:48:13 (permalink)
    Bioaccumulation--> small fish/critter eats lead - bigger fish/critter eats small critter - human eats bigger fish/critter and ingests lead.

Thats the theory behind it, I only see this holding any "water" for the smaller sizes of lead shot. The bigger chunks of lead sitting on the bottom will continue to do so with out any real harm. Isn't the sale of it banned in NY for only sizes under 1/2oz or something along those lines. Even then I still don't see much benefit. Honestly, I could really care less if I have to use tin or tungsten weight instead of lead.
    moose22dog
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: Lead ban? 2010/10/28 21:30:55 (permalink)
    i have a 100+ lbs of lead and get more monthly, that should keep me going for some years.lol i hope

your "game fish" is my bait.....got flathead!!
    tigercat
    Avid Angler
    RE: Lead ban? 2010/10/28 21:51:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: moose22dog

i have a 100+ lbs of lead and get more monthly, that should keep me going for some years.lol i hope

If not you can always sell the lead, the blackmarket will be crawling with people trying to get some.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9694
    RE: Lead ban? 2010/10/29 08:46:03 (permalink)
    I've noticed a bunch of new lead substitute sinkers available now.  They seem to be relatively close in price.  Not sure if they'll be able to do the jig heads and anything that needs detail or hook in it cheaply though.  If they can, then I don't really care if it is banned.  I have enough lead in my tackle boxes to "phase" it out from my personal collection. 

I'm actually rather surprised they took this long to ban it.  They've banned it from paint and gasoline a while back, and are sticklers when it comes to paint chipping on a house to allow it to be sold.  I'm guessing you'd need to eat a pretty good amount of paint chips to equal one split shot of solid lead too.  I know as a kid, I used to bite them tight...  I'd rather not have any of my or any kids doing that.  Trust me, my Dad told me not to do it, but when I'd run off on my own and forgot the forecepts or pliers, the teeth worked out well. 

Not sure what the environmental impacts are, with minimal amounts in the water?  Probably what Essox saying being the most.  They've banned it in use for water pipes a long time ago, knowing it was bad for that.  I'm sure there was some resistance to that change as well.  We're pretty smart as humans to make replacements for things.  I'm sure many old plumbers used to lead for pipes still swear it is the best for the application, as well as those painters and mechanics that were in business before the bans on lead in their industry.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Lead ban? 2010/10/29 09:45:58 (permalink)
    and they should ban plastic bobbers and indicators because they aren't biodregradable. mono and flouro line will have to be ban also. don't hooks rust and therefore maybe cause infection in hooked fish? (they rust in my fly boxes)
    lets just go back to gut lines and horse hair leaders and tippets. i've seen broken graphite rods along streambeds, lets outlaw them and go back to bamboo. hysteria, hysteria
    is al gore's son in on this lead ban?

I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY DO IN CALIFORNIA OR NEW YORK!!!!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lead ban? 2010/10/29 10:24:28 (permalink)
    The difference is that ingesting small amounts of plastic isn't going to cause harm to humans. Rusty hooks causing bacterial infections on fish will not cause harm to humans. Ingest enough lead and you will be in some serious trouble.

While I still highly doubt banning lead in fishing will have much of an impact on the well being of people, that is the logic behind it. And again, I don't see the big deal of finding alternative weights to use.

tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Lead ban? 2010/10/30 14:14:34 (permalink)
    There is no logic behind it.  In PA, the PGC gives fish consumption advisories based on PCB's, mercury, and chlordane.  They don't mention lead because IT IS NOT a problem.  Fish don't eat sinkers!  I don't have a problem with substitutes, I just don't think it needs to be legislated. 
    Jump to: