Walleye - Allegheny R - from shore?

Author
MikeyF
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/26 08:04:01 (permalink)

Walleye - Allegheny R - from shore?

I have never fished the Allegheny River, but understand that walleye are catchable in late autumn.

Is it possible to catch some from shore (without a boat) around the Tionesta area?

5 Replies Related Threads

jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Walleye - Allegheny R - from shore? 2010/10/26 08:31:50 (permalink)
    My understanding was that there was quite alot of people that bounced jigs and bait at the Tionesta dam tailwaters or fished down by the point. 

Fishing the tionesta dam tailwaters looked straitforward enough...  Its just that I like my home water (Kinzua dam tailwaters) better.  I almost felt like I was being unfaithful or something.  Fishing a certain waterway REALLY hard makes it wierd to fish other places...
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: Walleye - Allegheny R - from shore? 2010/10/26 08:40:00 (permalink)
    I would say it is possible, I've looked at that area quite a few times in my travels, but never had the time to stop and try it out!
    Probably more relaxing than combat steelhead fishin'...

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: Walleye - Allegheny R - from shore? 2010/10/26 13:08:53 (permalink)
    well, I have drowned some bait below the tionesta dam.  so it definitely IS possible.  Walleyes definitely go upstream and there is both cover, structure and forage at the outflow.

Yes fishing the woods of PA is better than squeezing in the circus called Erie; although Some places develop a circus of their own.   I encourage everybody to be careful on what they say!  The fall bite can be ON one night and gone the next so there's little point to starting a stampede of recreational anglers.   Many of them, anyways, are poorly equipped and prepared for walleyes.  THEY haven't done the homework that takes all of 30 minutes. Get good tackle, buy likely lures, study up briefly on where walleye like to lie, etc.

Its worth the effort would-be walleye slayers to find your own water and spots.

If you know there's walleyes in the tionesta area and you know of some fishable shoreline-- mmm, not to be rude or anything--- why are you asking on-line?  Go get yourself some walleye lures/bait and find them eyes.  
    jason

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Walleye - Allegheny R - from shore? 2010/10/26 18:41:56 (permalink)
    The farther south you go the better it gets. Kennerdale / Franklin would be a good place to start.
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: Walleye - Allegheny R - from shore? 2010/10/27 08:42:25 (permalink)
    I wouldn't exclude shallow spots--at least Not at Night (Fall-Spring)!  many of my walleye have been in (relatively) shallow water.

Instead I look for current and a current break.  Eddies, the end of a riffle, boulders in heavy current stuff like that...  given a good current and current breaks I don't think it really matters how deep the spot is.

One good way to "scout" is just to go down to the shore, bring a headlamp and peer into the water.  Seen zillions of walleye doing that.  Don't waste the batteries of deep turbulent water, though.  walleyes could very well be There, but you'll never see them.  Instead the headlamp will reveal walleyes tucked into shoreline breaks and eddies.

I'd gamble real dollars that the walls of the Tionesta dam tailrace hold some.  Deep turbulent, boulder strewn river holes like that are good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I also , personally, wouldn't drive to oil city for walleye if I lived in Tionesta.   I don't go to Tionesta when I live in Warren!  No advice is as profound as this --PUT YOU'RE TIME IN AND YOU'LL FIND WALLEYE.   That is SO much harder if you've got a 30-40min drive!    I can be at the tailwaters consistently 3hours a night, every other night.  The much better fishermen I fish with seriously fishes either mornings,evening, or night about 5 times a week.

he's a fantastic fishermen that knows every rock. He's an inspiration and a good friend.  Again he scouts often, and guesses constantly-- changing approach, location and time until he finds success.  This kind of legwork just can't be done on the internet.
    post edited by jolie - 2010/10/27 15:36:39
    Jump to: