Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/25 16:06:33 (permalink)

saturday 23rd

fished DSR on saturday morning. went 4 for 9. many fished hooked but only by a few anglers. i probably saw about 100 fish hooked between 6-8 guys while there were maybe 20 anglers in sight. i would've hooked a lot more if the freekin pinners didn't move in on my spot while i was fighting a fish. get this; while i hooked and landed 2 fish in a row, these freekin pinners moved right in on my buddy who was a first timer and each hooked 4 fish right from under his nose. here's the best part; earlier in the morning they had a spot locked up where they were hooking fish almost every cast... nobody messed with them or tried to step on their toes. later on i find a pod of what i estimated to be 30+ fish in a slow quiet area and the pinners push push right in. i spoke my mind out loud after landing the 2nd fish and seeing them pressed in the spot. they left shortly after but it didn't matter. the fish were gone. people just straight up suck sometimes... i'm happy with the fish i got, but my buddy got skunked. if those pinners didn't come in he would've had his shot for sure. this post should be considered by all... let's all try to come together and respect eachother. fish on... i have pics that i will try to post when i get time. but believe what you are hearing. there are a lot of trout every where. you just have to find them and know how to catch them... home made trout egg sacs with a mandarin colored bead seemed to be the ticket for me...

54 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 16:07:53 (permalink)
    oh yeah, and my brother hooked and landed one but he got it on the swing with a wooly bugger and no weight. the fish broke water on his fly. in my opinion, he did better than anyone else i saw on the river. it's not all about the numbers all of the time...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 16:48:09 (permalink)
    Hey Dime
      Great report. I had heard about a substantial run down below while  being skunked up river on Sunday. Nice to hear you did well and that the steel are coming in strong. Too bad about the slobs. I had thought they might be in the real minority at DSR but unfortunately they move in all over the place. I gave up talking to them long ago-just move on, they are too ignorant to change.
       Had a King hit my weightless fly up river on Friday while I watched-it was grrrrreat, but can make for a slowwww day.
    Its not the fish -just the fishing
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/10/25 16:49:38
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 17:00:08 (permalink)
    F Pinners.

Lyrical
    ssgt12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 17:32:52 (permalink)
    did one of these guys have a white ball cap because the same thing happened to my brother and i the other week i was fighting a brown and he was just standing in the spot watching when he turned around thest to guys just moved in we said we were fishing that spot but the said that it was a free river and they could fish were ever they wanted. well for at least 20 min or so they kept getting hung up on our line and well we didnt have our glasses so we just cut our line and let them untangle it. they left and moved on down river. sometimes all you have to do is ask and if your having a bad day we will help you out or let you join us

mcfishy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 18:16:33 (permalink)
    hi,i,m new to this site.i have been steelhead fishing for three years now.i started out spinning for them ,but was introduced to pinning which i enjoy very much.i can understand your frustration with getting cut off by people,but that is just plain rudeness,regardless of what style of fishing some people prefer.
    last year i was fishing the area of the"wires",where that little island tails out into the river.i had caught my first fish on the pin there,it was a beautiful fresh gold colored brown trout with bold black spots on it.it only went around 4 or five pounds,but none the less,i was proud of it.
    as i was backing up to beach the fish,i heard foot steps behind me.a group of four guys had walked up to me,ducked down below my line to get by me and proceeded to fish right in front of me,i had just gotten the fish beached and didnt even have the hook out of his mouth yet.
    i took a pic of the fish and sent him on his way to fight another day.
    no longer having my spot,i went further down stream and set up again.
    the guy i was now fishing near had told me that he saw that the group of guys saw me with a fish on,nodded to  each other,while pointing at me and then converged on my spot.all i know is these guys didnt speak english.
    these guys were doing chuck and duck(not saying thats bad,but they took my spot to do so)
    sorry,dont mean to blah,blah,blah.like was said earlier,we can all get along ,if we ALL give it a shot,mutually.
                                          thanks,
                                    mike(aka: mcfishy)  btw,great site! hope we can be cool with each other.

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 18:18:51 (permalink)
    gee wiz - I thought the river wardens prevented **** like that from happening in the promised land.

maybe next year the DSR will up the ante a few more hundred and limit it to fly fishing...

sorry DB - couldn't resist......

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 18:20:37 (permalink)
    one of them did have a white ball cap sarg... maybe the same guys. these guys were having far from a bad day though. i probably saw the 2 of them hook around 50 fish between the 2 of them and they had a spot locked up. i gues i could've squeezed in their spot or got in from across but i don't do that. but for some reason they didn't consider or appreciate mine or anyone elses actions while they squeezed my first time up buddy. they each hooked 4 fish in my spot. i hooked 2 in 2 casts but chased them each 150+ yards and landed them both. if those guys didn't come in my buddy and me could've had maybe an hour of straight action. i can't complain with 9 hookups, but the general principal factor really urks me. especially since my buddy missed out. were these guys in DSR you encountered sarg?? they were season pass holders so i will see them again. they heard what i said out loud i'm sure but when i see them next i will calmly let them know how i feel and i'll be sure to point out how nobody pressured their spot...and if they tell me it's a free river, i will say ok, then good luck fishing when i'm around because i carry scissors and can cast pretty far...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 18:29:31 (permalink)
    it's a grain of salt to me drake... hey mc; i don't bash any type of method or gear... just referred to them as pinners because they were. i do find in my 21 years though that every year there are more and more a-holes up there. a lot more fancy cars, and a lot of north pointing noses... when i load my 2 pics though drake you don't see anyone down stream from me in the one pic for a few hundred yards, so it's not that bad. like i've always said, all it takes is one or 2 a-holes to spoil it for everyone. i rarely encounter this down there or even other spots. but it's just like everything else in the world. no body cares about anyone else and most have a f*** off attitude. so i guess we have to get used to it. that's why i can't wait til december -february... by far my favorite 3 months on the river...
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 19:01:41 (permalink)
    DB - gotta watch out for the pinners - even in Dec-Feb time frame..

I pasted this section from from wikipedia:

Centerpin fishing, also called float fishing, is a fishing technique which uses a noodle or mooching rod, reel and Roe or fly. The method is used behind boats for steelhead fishing in salt water, and is currently popular with freshwater salmon anglers who drift their floats downstream.

Although centerpinners (sometimes called "pinners") use a fly, it is not really fly fishing, which involves more skill and less salmon roe. Centerpin rods are generally better for catch and keep fisheries, such as salmon, because the long lengths of line and lack of drag make it much harder to release the fish unharmed. The technique originated in Europe. It is a stealthy method of fishing, effective for catching many of the highly prized European rough fish.

The popularity of centerpin fishing in the Great Lakes tribs has dramatically increased in recent years. However, this has caused some animosity between traditional fly fisherman and "pinners" who have a tendency to employ hero drifts of several hundred feet and snatch salmon & steelhead from the feet of the unsuspecting fly flickers.

You gotta laugh (or cry) at the part in bold text...

mcfishy
    New Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 19:02:19 (permalink)
    db,i cant agree more!well said!
                      ps....i like  january,february,march and first two wks of april,i do really well in april at Ellis Cove.

mcfishy
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 19:02:37 (permalink)
    Hey Dime,
    In my never ending career of trying to find out how to consistently catch Steel in the River and tribs I have discovered large garden hackle fished just like small streams for regular trout to be quite effective. Now with guys switching to bobers there seems to be more written about using a smaller rubber kind of worm ( never used to hear of that).Love drifting the real ones on tailouts of holes- WHAM.
    Need some advice about the legality and or pros and cons of using mid size shiners the same way. I never hear of that and cant see how it wouldnt be very productive just like the hackle. Have considered this for years and have never tried it out.
      The only drawback I could envision is of deep hooking causing a release issue. That doesnt seem to occur with the garden hackle though or with the bobber and rubber worm guys that I'v heard of. Maybee circle hook would care for any potential issues there.
      Reaching out here as I am thinking about it for later this week. Thanks in advance.
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/10/25 19:07:10
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 19:05:16 (permalink)
    I don't see why minnows would not work -but who wants to carry them around.

Small jigs (minnow imitation) under floats in the winter work quite well..

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 19:09:50 (permalink)
    Thanks Drake- guess I'm just an old fashioned bait on a fly rod guy. Gotta love it. When I was  kid I used to fish for natives with the fly rig and would catch my bait streamside. Never took any with me.
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/10/25 19:10:16
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 19:12:11 (permalink)
    well retired, i have never tried shiners or fat heads myself but i am convinced that they will work great especially in the lower river or estuary. FYI to all though; i saw pinners 21 years ago when i started fishing the salmon. and i disagree with the harder to land theory... i used bobbers this past weekend but on a regular spinning rig. i've been fishing for steel occasionaly this way for 2 years now. it works well. there's nothing like throwing a rope though with a double or triple mend and watching that line straighten out while drifting a nymph streamer or egg pattern. hey retired, if you start going to DSR again let me know, i'd be glad to share some water with you...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 19:13:04 (permalink)
    maribou jigs are killer....
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 19:16:47 (permalink)
    alittle FYI again... last winter we caught a half dead silver steelhead that was about 16 lbs. we thought it was a female loaded with eggs because it was so fat... we kept the fish and when cutting it up it had no eggs; meanwhile it's stomach had around 15 undigested whole shiners crammed in there ranging from 1.5 - 4 inches...just use your imagination to understand my point... hey retired... do you only fish bait on the fly rod???
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 19:17:32 (permalink)
    WOW, talk about quick replies -Much appreciated. Yea I'm really thinking about DSR again after a few years of layoff. If I do it though I would probably want a perfect day ( for me sunshine and nice temps -amount of fish be darned) Later this week looks like a wet one on deer stand with a homey warmup and short afternoon on the river. 
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 19:22:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dimebrite

and i disagree with the harder to land theory... i used bobbers this past weekend but on a regular spinning rig.

I think the fact that centerpin reels have no drag add a bit of challenge to the equation- especially when battling a hot fish.
    The long rods don't make it very easy to land a fish either - especially for a lone wader w/o net - unless you have some bank room to backup and beach the fish.

Now they are making centerpin reels with drags - go figure.... 
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 19:37:09 (permalink)
    good points drake, but for me, i use long fly rods and spin rods, and never carry a net, and land a lot of fish. but there defin itely are certain areas and situations that can make a longer rod more difficult to land a fish...
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 19:47:31 (permalink)
    I have 10'6" and 13' float rods..

Don't use the 13' too much - it's a PIA to move around with, I don't like breaking down a rod to move to another spot.

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 19:48:12 (permalink)
    They feast on those baitfish in the lake, and Mysis shrimps. Right?

Lyrical
    mcfishy
    New Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 19:49:47 (permalink)
    my pin doesnt have a drag on it ,but sometimes i wished it did.i had Carpal Tunnel surgery on both my wrist some years back and fighting a fired up fish can be tough when putting the breaks on it.
    i do like the challenge of knowing whether or not i,m applying to much palm to the reel or not enough.have had a few times in very cold january weather where the fish was big,the flow was fast and my fingers were actually starting to warm up from the friction of the fish running......not a bad thing,now that i think about it!
    mcfishy
    New Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 19:51:31 (permalink)
    sorry,meant to say "brakes on it!"
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/25 20:05:38 (permalink)
    Hey Dime,
    No- I like the fly rod in the smaller tribs that can be fished with bait like any small stream. Its the best in my opinion fishing around bends into runs and pools and for poking around logs , also in brushy conditions where a lot of guys just walk on by. I also like it in my haunts up river where there are islands and runs that are similar to the tribs. I just feel like I have more control with it. Guess thats why I use a fly rod thats only 9' long- looks like a shorty compared to most on the river but i'm happy with it.
    I use the noodle in larger water and large pools (that I rarely fish) with the garden hackle. The big pool downtown is a good example just too wide to roll or flip a worm on the fly rod for a long drift without snapping many off. A good mid river cast with a bit of weight using the noodle gives a neat pass along the tail of the pool- WHAM.
      I really like the bait on the rod Dime but I also  throw other stuff like egg sacks ( blue) and the occasional just plain fly. Last week I just threw the fly generally with no weight at all. Dont ask what fly, I dont want to know their real names- would be mortified if a fish actually ate one and I knew its real name.
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/10/25 21:27:40
    JOE PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/26 06:16:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: retired guy

Hey Dime,
    In my never ending career of trying to find out how to consistently catch Steel in the River and tribs I have discovered large garden hackle fished just like small streams for regular trout to be quite effective. Now with guys switching to bobers there seems to be more written about using a smaller rubber kind of worm ( never used to hear of that).Love drifting the real ones on tailouts of holes- WHAM.
    Need some advice about the legality and or pros and cons of using mid size shiners the same way. I never hear of that and cant see how it wouldnt be very productive just like the hackle. Have considered this for years and have never tried it out.
    The only drawback I could envision is of deep hooking causing a release issue. That doesnt seem to occur with the garden hackle though or with the bobber and rubber worm guys that I'v heard of. Maybee circle hook would care for any potential issues there.
    Reaching out here as I am thinking about it for later this week. Thanks in advance.

I have a friend from college who is the best trout fisherman I have ever fished with.  He always out fished everyone at least 2 or 3 to one.  Fished black nosed dace threaded with a treble hook pulled back into the vent.  He uses this rig in the Erie tribs with great success.  I know he had some big days in the Salmon R. and Oswego many years back.  Now I guess you can't transport bait fish any more.  He used a #4 single hook up in NY instead of the treble.
    post edited by JOE PA - 2010/10/26 11:35:54
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/26 10:28:03 (permalink)
    i fished with 2 newbies saturday, up high, between school house and barrel hole
    we had a great time
    hooked a few fish and haded off to them to fight, after a while they also hooked a couple

the bad parts were
    `1. a couple guys were running up and down the stream 'sight fishing", foul hooking the kings on the redds
    2..the other was very RUDE behavior from a couple of drift boats.....note most (all but 2), of the boats were great

the first came down thorgh after seeing us hook up (they had been fishing in the barrel tail out)and ran over the line breaking off the fish then laughed about it
    the second ahd a shore fisherman's fish jump near their boat, hook the line on one of their plugs, and they just started off down stream, the guy was trying to get them to stop and release the line, they were laughing saying "wonder how long till he runs out of line"

i was shocked, because in general i think very highly of the manners of the drift boat captians

dissapointing to see this behavior, and also it is going to lead to more"disputes"  and we don't need that
    JOE PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/26 11:39:53 (permalink)
    Since I have been out of this game for a while, and my casting skills are not the best, if some pinners moved in upstream from me and were doing those long drifts right in front of me, it would be difficult for me not to (quite often) hook their line and float.  Of course if they would move downstream from other fishermen, then I guess it would not be a problem.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/26 14:35:57 (permalink)
    hey bear, it seems to be getting worse and worse. i guess a lot of the guys going up are new and or not accustomed to common ettiquette. it worries me. i'd like to think i am a gentlemen on the stream. when many aren't gentlemen, that my change my attitude... its sad to think that one wrong can turn in to many wrongs. i hope it doesn't keep getting worse. look at new brunswick and many other areas in eastern canada... do you think the salmon will ever become like them??? only time will tell...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: saturday 23rd 2010/10/26 16:57:34 (permalink)
    I get the feeling that a lot of the bad stuff we are seeing tooooo much of this year is because of the flood and relatively short salmon run it made for most weekenders. The have had to stack up on the top of the river instead of watching and waiting for pods all along the whole fishery. The cramped fishing has just made what has always been happening become very condensed and more visible and more of a pain in the butt.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: