Upper Fly Zone New Regulations

Author
gremlinchaser
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/25 12:01:23 (permalink)

Upper Fly Zone New Regulations

Just got back from 5 days up river. Fished the upper fly on wednesday and caught 3 trout in 5 casts. I was using a tangerine trout bead over a pink stone fly. I thought the trout bead regulations weren't being released til 2011. Went back on thursday and saw a sign posted on the upper fly board that states the use of beads that aren't attached to the fly is prohibited. Just a heads up to anyone heading up. Didn't see one DEC officer the whole 5 days. I saw that the head of the DEC was fired for insubordination for complaining about his low staffing levels. Oh well! Snaggers are relieved!

25 Replies Related Threads

YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/25 12:45:39 (permalink)
    Just wondering, as this is new news to me.
    -
    Was it stated that a bead placed above a bare hook, is illegal in the fly zone?
    (And correctly so, In my humble opionion)
    -
    Or was it as you stated, a bead placed above a fly is illegal?
    -
    Thanking for your clarification.
    -
    Best Fish's,
    Randy
    gremlinchaser
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/25 14:31:48 (permalink)
    Randy,

It stated that no bead is allowed unless it is attached directly to the fly. I was under the impression that you could fish a bead a couple of inches above the fly as long as there was no bare hook. Guess I was wrong.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/25 15:53:00 (permalink)
    makes sense to me.... a bead is added weight technically right above the fly
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/25 16:18:20 (permalink)
    The only added weight allowed is part of the fly itself - either a beadhead or wire wraps up to 1/8 oz.

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/25 16:57:53 (permalink)
    Odd. I don't fish beads, but I'm thinking about it. I would fish some kinda nymph under it I guess. Bare hook below seems so wrong to me, even though the intent would be to fish fair.

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/25 19:20:56 (permalink)
    hey salmo try a rabbit fur leach in any color or a flesh pattern beneath the beed. keep the fly around 8-12 inches above the fly...
    YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/25 20:29:23 (permalink)
    Hi Grem and all,
    Neat discustion!
    Best advise (and Im not a pro on leagalities, but do think I undersand them :)
    Call Fran V. (Salmon River Cordinator) at the hathery. He is VERY busy, so make your email or call quick and reply here with his answer. :)
    -
    I dont think we would call an added bead weight?
    -
    Is it possible that do to past "illegal" rigging, they made this new law and or statemnent?
    -
    Just for the fun of it, check out one of my many sponsors. I've legally fished w/ great success with them in the fly zones and below. They have checked with local and state authorities on the legalities of thier rigging. Seems legal to me. (Only 1 hook point on drop'r, w/ 1 to 3 attractor flies, no hook's)
    Cool stuff - Check it out -
    Please excuse the blatant advertisement, no time to edit, time for bed.
    New Moffit Angling:
    This new and innovative rigging will guarantee all of your fish are hooked in the mouth. (0% mortality rate, 0% foul hooked) I would have not believed it unless I had seen it with my own eyes in the saltwater. Pat has caught 100's if not 1,000's of Steelhead useing this method and I think only 1 was hooked in the tongue. His lost rate is equal to any other method. His method will actually increase your odds of hooking up with flies as they will have more action. You can use this with bait also.
    http://www.moffittangling.com

-
    I'm not working Tues. so I may take a special drive up to the U.F.Z. to read this "NEW"? Reg?
    -
    Best Fish's,
    Randy
    www.yankeeangler.com - Fishing Reports and much more  :)
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/25 22:43:36 (permalink)
    It is not anything new.. has always been the same just being abused .. like the rest of the river..
    The subject matter is the bead, you know the plastic type.. .. It MUST be PART of the fly not attached to the line..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/26 13:56:56 (permalink)
    Hey Hot,
    Long time :)
    I agree!
    Trad. fly is trad. fly.
    Tip:
    If wanting to add a egg imitaion above your fly, then simple tie an over hand knot in your leader and before tighening, simply add some glow bug yarn. Tighten down, trim, now you have an egg imitation above your fly (1 hook point only on main fly) and sa-sham!
    -
    Legal and fishing trad. Fly in a trad. fly regulated area.
    Simple!
    -
    This lil fish catching trick was taught to me by the great 'Jim Rusher"
    Past owner of Whitakers and a highly sought after GURU of the S.R. (I bet many of you ol' Fatr's would agree :)
    -
    He is presently guiding, specilizing in Spey casting and fishing tech. Recommend him highly.
    He has, and alway's will be a personal and proffesional S.R. peer of mine.
    -
    Cant speak anymore highly of a S.R. guide than him.
    -
    He has a website if intrested for more info. (Do a search)
    -
    Best Fish's,
    Randy
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/26 14:40:59 (permalink)
    jim rusher is definitely an old time icon to the salmon. i remeber when he sold his shop. i stopped going shortly after...i hear he is back in the area froim time to time. my father ran in to him in quebec 2 years ago. after about 12 or so years of not seeing him; jim still remembered him and his 2 sons (me and my brother)... now that's a genuine guy in my book...
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/26 15:30:38 (permalink)
    My favorite Rusher story is one of his clients slapping a streamer off my chest back when the old bus hole fished and him saying its OK, thats Lee and hes used to it.
    We used to have some great times.

Another day my friend Lucky13, Keith Smith and I were into double and triple hookups all morning. Jim shows up and asked how big were the fish we were landing. We were so jaded from the king fishing we said 12-13lbs.
    He asks us to keep a couple so we bring 3 into his store. They averaged just over 17lb. We were landing much bigger fish in the mix. Thinking back on it is still one of the best outdoor experiences of my life.

YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/26 16:26:35 (permalink)

As most know,
    1. Jim and Marna Rusher would give you the (DRY) shirts off their backs if you came into their shop after having fallen into the river after chaseing that BIG fish, and were cold and wet and just wanted to go back out fishing again.
    -
    2. They would give you their personal rods (for free) if you broke yours and needed repair's. Just so you could go out and try to catch another BIG one that day.
    -
    3. When you had ripped a BIG OL" hole in your waders and need them to make repairs (overnight) they would offer you their own personal waders (at N/C) to use for the rest of the day so you could continue on your quest, of hooking, fighting and possibly landing the biggest fish of your life.
    -
    Just a few examples of the Rusher hospitality (many of you enjoyed) that is not found often, anymore, unfortunatly. Witnessed by an early, want'a'b green horn, S.R. guide, Whitakers sales clerk - etc..., meaning me.
    Please visit Jim Rusher's website @ http://www.jimrusher.com
    -
    Best Fish's,
    Randy Jones
    www.yankeeangler.com - Fishing report's and much more :)
    post edited by YankeeAngler - 2010/10/27 04:52:44
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/26 18:30:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: YankeeAngler

Just for the fun of it, check out one of my many sponsors. I've legally fished w/ great success with them in the fly zones and below. They have checked with local and state authorities on the legalities of thier rigging. Seems legal to me. (Only 1 hook point on drop'r, w/ 1 to 3 attractor flies, no hook's)
    Cool stuff - Check it out -
    Please excuse the blatant advertisement, no time to edit, time for bed.
    New Moffit Angling:
    This new and innovative rigging will guarantee all of your fish are hooked in the mouth. (0% mortality rate, 0% foul hooked) I would have not believed it unless I had seen it with my own eyes in the saltwater. Pat has caught 100's if not 1,000's of Steelhead useing this method and I think only 1 was hooked in the tongue. His lost rate is equal to any other method. His method will actually increase your odds of hooking up with flies as they will have more action. You can use this with bait also.
    http://www.moffittangling.com

Another choice/method/gimmick - whatever you want to call it.

I think their flies are overpriced tube-flies. But this is Capitalistic America and if the state deems them legal and they make money from people who buy their product - all the power to them.

I'm far from a purist - but what ever happened to just flicking a single fly? I guess it may be too simple for today's complicated world.

IMO - concentrating on a single fly give you the power to pinpoint your presentation in the "hole within the hole"....

aye Randy??? 
    post edited by draketrutta - 2010/10/26 18:32:35
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/26 20:27:58 (permalink)
      About 26 years ago on my first spring steel trip I stayed at Whitakers and Jim loaned my wife his wifes waders (without being asked or even hinted about) he just up and offered. I was on a shoestring then and I guess he knew it. I stayed there every year till Jim sold. When I called a time or two each year for reservations or a reliable report he knew who I was just by my voice --Great people -PERIOD.

What ever came of Duke?
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/10/26 22:33:35
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/26 22:14:10 (permalink)
    Good guy for sure it sounds. 

Lyrical
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/27 03:01:18 (permalink)
    Talk about their giving.
    The second year the lfz was open a large steelhead that was in the tailout of the church pool kept hovering, sliding back and forth and rising half way up the water column. I went in asking Jim if he had any large dry flies. He didn't but he went upstairs and came back with a handful of his personal bombers. I never got a chance to fish them over that fish (others were "fishing" it when I got back but I still carry the bombers with me to this day (well the 2 I have left).

The Masher.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/27 05:56:26 (permalink)
    Last I knew Duke got a job at Fulton Boiler

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/27 07:07:20 (permalink)
    jim's the only guy that i know of who has taken steel on the surface with a bomber. i never saw him do it, but he told us one day back in 91... that same day i fished bombers down in the DSR for about 2 hours. i was unsuccessful and have not tried agin since
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/27 15:48:03 (permalink)
    I have done it. Just not the time he gave me his personal stash.1 dead drift upsream and two skating across a tailout. First one on the surface came as I was explaining the cast a client had to make to get the right drift. As I stood there talking with a glo bug swinging behind and below me a 6ish lb chromie came up and ate it. After that I have done it about a dozen times . A couple dozen if you count grease line in the surface film. Exciting stuff but certainly don't plan your trip around it. I was lucky enough to have clients willing to let me play at it on their dime between tying on flies and tailing fish for them.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/30 18:03:52 (permalink)
    i've had 'em brake water on the surface when skating straight down stream or stripping in. and a few on the swing with no weight... but actual dry flies and dry fly techniques... haven't gotten one yet. only tried once about 18 19 years ago.... i'd love to rise one on a bomber. i'd love to get in to dry fly fishing again too... that's how i learned to fly fish
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/30 18:12:01 (permalink)
    oh yeah and for that moffit system, last february's fly fisherman magazine had a section in there on it. it claims its better for the fish since they get hooked on the outside of the mouth or lip rather than damage their sensitive tissue on the inside of mouth. i will say, i have caught many fun ky mouthed fish many times up there. i'm all for the beed above hook or fly above a circle hook. let's face it, if the fish is taking... why shouldn't it be aloud. i really dont think snaggers or lifters would be able to really benefit or take advantage of this rigging method. and its better for the fish anyway...
    YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/31 09:49:22 (permalink)
    Running Bomber's - Skaters,  as some of you know is a VERY challenging way to entice a fish to strike.
    BUT, I personally think its MUCH more rewarding and satisfying to the angler who wish's to fish in this way.
    I tell my clients that if you have 1 fish just rise and strike at it all day, youve had a good day.
    This tech. obviously works, but as you all know, you need to be in the correct water level, no fishing pressure (best results) and correct water temp. (in my opinion)
    Best of luck to you all!
    Best Fish's,
    Randy
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/31 11:54:47 (permalink)
    In all my years fishing the SR, I can count on one hand the fish hooked on top.

One large Atlantic landed, two summer run steel on bombers lost.

As Randy said, very difficult but well worth the time spent. I feel it is without a doubt the most rewarding fishing

experience you can have with the fly rod. Over the years many of the memories of all the Kings, Cohos, and Steel

fade, but the memories of an Atlantic or summer run hooked on top will last forever.

Tight Lines Forever,

OldSalt
    post edited by OldSalt - 2010/10/31 12:12:39
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/31 12:23:42 (permalink)
    completely agree with you salt
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Upper Fly Zone New Regulations 2010/10/31 15:10:41 (permalink)
    Agreed with you both. The stars have to be lined up just right to get a grab on the surface and it is something you can still clearly see in your minds eye decades after it happens.
    Jump to: