Oct-22/23/24

Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/24 18:32:55 (permalink)

Oct-22/23/24

Got there Thurs nite and fished Fri AM. about 40 degrees with high winds and cloudy sky. With wind definately in the 30s. A few fish caught and seen moving in upper river- a bit of everything.  Watched a king rise up hit my teeny  fly and then watched it shake off a few minutes later- GREAT. Some kid a bout 20 saw it too and ran over and snagged the hole while I was still running my fly through it. The hole was behind a log and held a fish or two and was about 6 feet wide and 10 feet long-barely enough for one guy much less one fisherman and a snagger. He quickly hooked one in the belly and I left.
Sat was a very nice day and we golfed instead of fishing-Pines was closed but Elms was still open.
Sunday fished  upper river on a cloudy drizely morning in the mid 40s. A guy caught the largest Brown I ever saw- looked like a full grown King- looked to have caught it right too. Generally a bit slow where I was.  Came home-will be back Wed nite.
  River still around 750 and murky but the fishing pressure has slowed a LOT. You can actually find a nice area up river for yourself now -unless that kid and his family are still around. Steel seemed to like blue sacs and my little pumpkin colored fuzzy thing with great big wings on it.
 I have had so many slobs walk over my fishing this year I may just go back to my old style of DSR in the AM and LFZ in the PM. Not that stuff doesnt happen there but it is the exception rather than the rule. Might be worth the new rate just for peace of mind. I fish to relax- not to wish I still carried a gun for a living.
post edited by retired guy - 2010/10/24 19:00:30

3 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Oct-22/23/24 2010/10/24 19:51:03 (permalink)
    This recent trip of mine was like that too. 

Lyrical
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Oct-22/23/24 2010/10/24 20:09:34 (permalink)
    RT - go 2 -3 miles downstream and most of your worries are over - esp at this time of year.

As you know - from late August to late Oct Oct - jerks are everywhere on the SR. From now through March, the jerks are concentrated from Ellis Cove upstream.

Not as many fish, but I think your chance of whacking a real bruizer on its way upstream are better. Midriver has some awesome scenery to boot.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Oct-22/23/24 2010/10/24 21:25:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses and advice, Actually my favorite area of the river and the area of which I generally speak is between Ellis and the Tressel. There is just about every type of water you could find throughout the entire river somewhere in walking distance up there. I was quite surprised that, after the flood, the area didnt change too much. The only problem is that its quite heavily fished and this year there seem to be an abnormal amount of abnormally rude fishermen. From what I have read posted by others my experience with the slobs is not unique.
        Not really that familiar with the middle river (took a look by kayak this late summer) but am willing to learn it-but NOT on snowshoes- Maybe  a trial later this week between hours on deer stand. Years and a lifetime ago used to fish by the island and big bend above the pineville bridge -loved it.
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/10/24 21:34:29
    Jump to: