Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/19 18:20:31 (permalink)

Good Drifts

Heading up in November for the first time with the drift boat in tow.  I'd like some insight about good floats for a first timer on the SR. Where should I put in/take out...specific as possible please. Also, are there any shops/lodges etc...that will do shuttles for me.   I'm an experienced rower and troutie, so if anyone can give me a heads up about a specific section I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a lot guys...
Josh

43 Replies Related Threads

3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/19 19:34:42 (permalink)
    LLD, there are only 4 floats on the salmon, top end is altmar to pineville, pineville to compactor hole now your mid river, compactor hole to ballpark and ballpark to estuary. In my opinion stay away from the lower end its pay to play and worthless with the boat, mine has never seen that area in 11 years. Top end is the most heavily floated right now and when water gets low, 285cfs is the lowest I will float. Pineville to ballpark I like a little more water 500cfs is nice thru there. The salmon will bite you so respect her, top end curves alot and you are usually dodgeing fisherman in the middle of the river, dont be afraid to give a big yell commin down most will give you two steps back some wont.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/19 19:38:00 (permalink)
    Heard a drift boater toot one of those little air horns last week while entering a populated area of the river. Never saw that before but it really worked well-everyone heard it over the chatter and water noises and knew he was coming through.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/19 19:41:01 (permalink)
    The best float for a first timer would be Altmar to Pineville. Although you will encounter more boat traffic on that stretch, it has the least amount of hazards to avoid - especially in flows < 500cfs.
    Most guys won't run a boat if cfs < 300. The only spots where you need to pay close attention is the bend at Ellis Cove and the Trestle Hole.

If you want to avoid playing bumperboats at 6am, I would consider an afternoon float so you can enjoy yourself and get a feel for that stretch...

Not sure about any shuttle services, but you can inquire at area lodges.

The lower stretch floats (Pineville to 2A, 2A to Ball Park) have some nasty can-opener rocks. If you have a fiberglass boat, be very careful if you go lower.

I went for a couple boat rides down to the Black Hole (right before the DSR pay-to-play property).
    It was fun hitchin a rope to a drftboat and yanking it up the steep bank with a pickup...

post edited by draketrutta - 2010/10/19 19:47:21
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/19 20:23:19 (permalink)
    Great info. guys...exactly what I was looking for.  I'm planning on getting up there midday the first day, which will be a Friday, so it will be an afternoon float.  Maybe we'll just sleep in the second day and hit it a little later to avoid bumper boats. 

What would you say is the prime flow for drifting it??  Also, is backtrolling a good bet (if so what style of plugs) or should we concentrate on egg patterns/drift fishing etc...?
    If I put the boat in and drifted straight down from Altmar to Pineville how long would it take me in say 600cfs...roughly? 
    thanks,
    Josh
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/19 21:26:34 (permalink)
    Prime flow IMO 500cfs and up...

Even in the afternoon, backtrolling plugs may not be your best choice between Altmar & Pineville, especially on a weekend. There will be lots of bank anglers to deal with. Trying to run plugs through the Schoolhouse Hole & Trestle Hole will probably require a full mask football helmet cause you will pizz off a bunch of folks.

The main hotspots for plugging are just below the Pineville bridge (recently removed) and the Sportsman's Hole (2a to Ballpark stretch).

If I was you, I'd stick to egg patterns, sacks, egg sucking leaches, wooley buggers. Lots of trout in the river - especially the upper stretch. 

I would guess that if you put in at Altmar and drifted straight through to Pineville take-out without stopping - about 2 hrs, maybe even less, depends how much you work the oars.

Good luck to you..

Let us know how your floats turn out.
    post edited by draketrutta - 2010/10/19 21:30:48
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/20 15:50:09 (permalink)
    500 is a great flow, backtrolling the top end is the best, stay away from schoolhouse and trestle but plug everywhere else, are you plugging salmon or steel? I would skip salmon and focus on steel, I pull hotshots, jointed rapalas size j12 dark colors if its cloudy bright colors if sunny, hotshots purple and gold two best colors and silver/blue is great also. They have to have single hooks no trebles, and if they have rattles in them drill a small hole and drip some superglue in and let dry silicone the little hole and your good to go, steelhead dont like the rattle. Make sure to plug the wire hole, fraziers run, the bovines are a must, tail end of the trestle hole down the right side, fridgeerator hole, tail end of the can is also good. As far as time goes, just pulling plugs at every spot you can 6 to eight hours, depends how thurough you are, just some friendly advice, if you see another guide boat its nice to ask witch side do you want me to pass you on, try to avoid floating over someones fish and when you do keep your oars out of the water, a little respect shown will get some back believe me I know.Good luck to ya, by the way what kind of driftboat do you have, mines a clacka craft, fiberglass, took alot of crap when I got it and first started useing it up there but have never had a problem. Fish-On
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/20 16:23:17 (permalink)
    Why would anyone give you crap over the type of boat you use?

Yeah alot of guides make a full day trip from Altmar to Pineville, lots of good spots. Some even park it for the day just below the Altmar bridge or at the Wires. If I was a paying client I would not be too happy to sit in one spot all day. I think a guide should show their clients as much water as possible.
    But I guess it's a case of different strokes for different folks... 

It would be interesting to see a driftboat race down the river - hold it as a fund raising event or something. I bet some guys could make it to Pineville well under 2 hrs, but I wonder how long it would take them to go all the way down to Ball Park non-stop and crankin...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/20 17:32:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 3fan

500 is a great flow, backtrolling the top end is the best, stay away from schoolhouse and trestle but plug everywhere else, are you plugging salmon or steel? I would skip salmon and focus on steel, I pull hotshots, jointed rapalas size j12 dark colors if its cloudy bright colors if sunny, hotshots purple and gold two best colors and silver/blue is great also. They have to have single hooks no trebles,

when did they stop allowing trebles after nov. 1st? i always thought that lures and plugs can have trebles from nov. 1st to aug. 15th or something. also, yes; altmar to pineville is an easy ride. i don't do drift boat but i do pontoon from time to time. i would be cautious if it's your first time on the river. ettiquette and experience go a long way on the river. don't misunderstand me, i am not trying to deter you or put you down, but expect comments to be made towards you if it's your first time on the river. good luck....

p.s. if it is 750 plus run off or higher, becareful if you go down the east side of ellis cove, it's very easy to get sucked in to the diversion on the far bank... be careful to say the least... also, when drifting the northwest side of bovines, be aware of all overhanging trees after the sharp bend... oh yeah, and by the way, this area is great plugging water...
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/20 18:31:29 (permalink)
    Dime probably is right on the treble hook thing, you might be able to run them  after the first. Personally I run a single all the time and have found thru hours and hours of plugging that it did not effect my hook ups so I have never changed back, in fact I think the one single hook gives the lures more action.  One thing I have loved to do with plugs over the years is stick them where some wont, by this I mean overhangs some log pile ups things where you could possibly loose a lure or get a strike. Ive lost some but have got more fish than the few lost lures were worth.
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/20 20:37:00 (permalink)
    Thanks for the great suggestions guys, I really appreciate it.  I've gathered that it's probably going to be pretty busy, so I'm thinking about moving my trip to a Sunday afternoon float and a Monday morning float...(might be less busy??)  I'll probably not plug the first night just so I can check out the whole stretch first, unless by some chance there's lots of wide open river.  I'll definitely give the guides the "right of way".  I'm in the business myself and I understand the importance of giving clients a good product.  I'll just be fun fishing with my son.  Also, I know those NY guides are a special breed...LOL!! Watch out! 

3fan, I have an old Lavro fiberglass drift boat.  Definitely not fancy, been around awhile but she's big and easy to pull.  From your comments I'm guessing the Orvis/Hyde contingency looked down their noses at you.  I got over that a long time ago.  I always loved walking into a fly shop and the owner wouldn't even look at me unless I was wearing Filson or something...whatever...

Once I have time to take a look at the map and match it up with some of the names of the runs and holes I'm sure I'll have more questions.  I think I found a place to stay and someone to run the boat shuttle for us.  Once again, thanks guys and I'll let you know how it goes. 
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/20 20:39:22 (permalink)
    "but expect comments to be made towards you if it's your first time on the river. good luck...."

Just a question, can I expect comments to be made even if I don't screw up?? I mean, am I going to get harrassed just for being a new boat on the river?   

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/20 21:18:40 (permalink)
    Some (not all) of the guides up there don't like the idea of private boats taking a free drift on  "THEIR" river.

haha - it's a public waterway,, have at it LDD, no worries

I hope you hook up with doubles and make steam come out of their ears..

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/21 06:00:49 (permalink)
    there's a good chance in regards to comments... you might hear the word pirate thrown out there... your idea to float sunday afternoon and then monday morning is a great one. this weekend should probably be the last of the salmon crowd which will be leaving this sunday. although i'm up almost every weekend lately, it's right around now when i start fishing again. i will be up this weekend myself. i hope to either do a morning or a late afternoon, and will be shocked if i don't shake some steel. good luck...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/21 06:02:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 3fan

Dime probably is right on the treble hook thing, you might be able to run them  after the first. Personally I run a single all the time and have found thru hours and hours of plugging that it did not effect my hook ups so I have never changed back, in fact I think the one single hook gives the lures more action.  One thing I have loved to do with plugs over the years is stick them where some wont, by this I mean overhangs some log pile ups things where you could possibly loose a lure or get a strike. Ive lost some but have got more fish than the few lost lures were worth.

sounds good to me, i'd just hate to see someone buy 200 dollars worth of lures and plugs when they already have what they need...

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/21 06:05:50 (permalink)
    hey LDD... don't be afraid to bring some floats and try floating some egg sacks or trout beads... i have about 200 steelhead eggs from last spring that i am setting my friend up with this weekend. if you fly fish you should be throwing sonme flesh patterns, traditional wets, streamers or tube flies, along with egg patterns or nymphs...
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/21 16:01:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: draketrutta

Some (not all) of the guides up there don't like the idea of private boats taking a free drift on  "THEIR" river.

haha - it's a public waterway,, have at it LDD, no worries

I hope you hook up with doubles and make steam come out of their ears..

Even some things are still free in New York huh?!
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/21 20:00:55 (permalink)
    dime,
    Oh yeah, I'll have my son set up for beads and eggs.  I'll have the flyrod and if we can we'll plug in a few spots.  Do lots of guys use slinky weights and eggs or is it way more effective to use floats?
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/22 06:08:52 (permalink)
    depends on your ability LDD. the floats are definitely more versatile and you can adjust your leader from just moving the float up and down due to water depth. i recomend the floats especially since it's your first time on the river.in regards to plugging... you will pass by an old train crossing where the footing is stilll iin the middle of the river. this is called the trestle pool. once you come around the bend below the trestle there is a long flat section with an island below it. you should favor the left hand side which is a high bank... plug that whole bank especially to the tail out. maybe even anchor for a while. i'm sure you will be rewarded. pm me if you want more specifics
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/22 07:25:30 (permalink)
    LDD, I still use slinkeys, floats are great and very effective but sometimes you have to bounce the bottom so I always have a rod rigged with a slinkey. As for the trestle hole when you come to the big bend above it swing wide and use the right side shute, it will seem like the big center colum wants to pull you to it just keep the****of the boat pointed to your right and a couple hard pulls on the oars and your good, push thru the big water of the trestle and stay on the right side, thats awsume plug water or anchor and float water. The bend dime is talking about is next but I prefer to swing to the left side at the end of the trestle run and work the plugs up top of the hole, then slowly slide down working the rest of it. That hole is better when the water is higher, much lower than 500 and its pretty much flat water.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/22 13:28:06 (permalink)
    i'm not talking about the bend, i'm talking about below the bend... along the high bank... all of the water you mentioned is good as well...
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/22 15:31:43 (permalink)
    The snag!
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/22 17:52:00 (permalink)
    I know where you are, just adding more nice water for him to try.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/22 23:50:37 (permalink)
    Usualy more waders up in the can.Better for pulling over and anchoring up than plugging through water that people are already fishing. No way to plug it without using the sticks to hold position and that can be a hook attractor if someone has been fishing there already.
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/23 08:20:03 (permalink)
    I really appreciate all the insight. Heading up next Sunday/Monday.  I'll be printing out all these little nuggets of wisdom to take with me.  I owe you guys. 
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/23 09:52:20 (permalink)
    Your probably sick of all the tips but got one more. When Im plugging the farthest back rods I let out 30 feet, next two 35-37' and the front center rod 40. Took quite a few floats to get the distance from the boat right, and it does matter in the action of the lure, to much line and you get a slow flat wobble to little and they see the boat same time they see the lure. For salmon these lenths are all shortened, back rods are 10-12' front are 20-25' and center 30'. Have fun!
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/24 07:21:40 (permalink)
    No way 3Fan, I'm soaking all of it up.  Tips like that might make the difference between an ok day and a great one.  One other question...what size hooks/flies etc...?  The steelie fishing I'm most familiar with is on the Erie tribs where we use pretty small stuff size 12/14 even smaller...maybe streamers as big as 10s.  I'm thinking that things should probably be a bit bigger on the salmon because of the flow and the bigger fish.  6-8lb leaders and tippet??
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/24 11:58:27 (permalink)
    For hooks I like them a little smaller, size 4 for my eggsacks the flies a little bigger sizes 6,8,10 all pretty good, I mostly swing buggers, but at this time of year its eggs they are after so your probably better off with single egg patterns. hotshots size 30, maybe 35's without the rattle. I have a feeling the water may be up if we get the rain next week as forcast predicted, thats a good thing less fisherman to dodge in the middle of the river. my plugrods are all strung with 6 pound maxima it might seem small but maxima is so stiff and strong with a 9 foot rod and florocarbon leader I have never had a problem landing big fish. My float rods are 8# and I may go smaller on the leader depends on flows, my slinkie rod 10# main and the same depending on water might fish 8 or 6 pound leader.
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/26 22:04:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: draketrutta

The best float for a first timer would be Altmar to Pineville. Although you will encounter more boat traffic on that stretch, it has the least amount of hazards to avoid - especially in flows < 500cfs.
    Most guys won't run a boat if cfs < 300. The only spots where you need to pay close attention is the bend at Ellis Cove and the Trestle Hole.

If you want to avoid playing bumperboats at 6am, I would consider an afternoon float so you can enjoy yourself and get a feel for that stretch...

Not sure about any shuttle services, but you can inquire at area lodges.

The lower stretch floats (Pineville to 2A, 2A to Ball Park) have some nasty can-opener rocks. If you have a fiberglass boat, be very careful if you go lower.

I went for a couple boat rides down to the Black Hole (right before the DSR pay-to-play property).
    It was fun hitchin a rope to a drftboat and yanking it up the steep bank with a pickup...

I've been looking at the maps and I have a question about the Ellis Cove bend.  Should I stay in the main channel the whole way through the bend? I know that Dimebrite mentioned this...is it just a matter of being aware and pulling hard so the boat doesn't get sucked to the bank?...or is there something else I should know? 
    thanks...
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Good Drifts 2010/10/26 22:17:21 (permalink)
    as you approach the cove coming down Frazier's Run, stay to your right - toward the road..

I have not been up there since the flood, don't know what, if anything, has changed, but I'm sure the guides have cleared obvious obstacles.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: