Targeting fall browns

Author
jkrunningdeer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 252
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/18 08:23:28 (permalink)

Targeting fall browns

I was hoping to get to do some fall brown trout fishing in some of the larger waterways in the state that hold some holdover browns (ie erie tribs, kinzua, yough) and was wondering what successful methods you guys have employed to bring some of these migrators to hand. I'm open to either fly fishing or bait. Do you find more success fishing low and slow or fast and aggressive. If using bait has anyone had success with crayfish or shiners? I have landed alot of steelhead in erie using big ugly stuff like zonkers but never seem to tie into any browns of any size. Any guidance is appreciated.

8 Replies Related Threads

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Targeting fall browns 2010/10/18 10:13:16 (permalink)
    Eggs when they are in to spawn on the Yough.

It really only happens in a short time window, but this year is prime for it because we have had a rainy fall...when the browns that aren't from a lake situation come in to spawn, they are nowhere near as inclined to chase after a streamer as ones out of a lake are.  Fish deeper pools and tailouts drifting a natural colored size 16 "dead" eggs in the yough and tributaries to take these, and other species of trout.  The little rainbows that frequent the areas are fun as well.
    jkrunningdeer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Targeting fall browns 2010/10/18 10:27:41 (permalink)
    thanks loomis when you say dead eggs are you referring to eggs that are light or tan in color that float out of the redds?
    BWAngler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Targeting fall browns 2010/10/18 12:19:53 (permalink)
    I moved to upstate NY not too long ago and have been targeting the fall run Browns that run the creeks from the reservoirs.  I have had very limited success until this last weekend (high water) when I landed 3 nice Browns, one being a personal best 22 inch brownie, and a handful of 12-15 inch trout.  I am using a noodle rod.

I caught the pig on a Yo Zuri Pins minnow, and the other two with an orange 8mm trout bead pegged 2 inches above a size 10 hook with a 1/3rd of a nightcrawler on it under a float....steak and eggs if you will.

Nightcrawlers and small egg sacks bounced on the bottom have also produced.

I haven't used crayfish or shiners just cause they are a pain to haul around, but I'm sure they would bring some fish to the bank.

Good luck.

moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 339
    RE: Targeting fall browns 2010/10/18 13:24:55 (permalink)
    before it gets to cold, a juicy nightcrawler bounced in the current isint a bad idea
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Targeting fall browns 2010/10/18 13:28:13 (permalink)
    I used to frequently fish some larger non Great Lakes rivers in the fall for big browns. I had 2 complete opposite tactics that I would use.

The first was using large streamers and covering as much water as possible searching for aggressive fish. Large numbers of fish were not the norm with this style of fishing, however lots of obnoxiously large browns have come to my hand with #2-6 sculpins and bunny leeches.

The method I used more commonly was nymphing. Most of the rivers I fish are tailwaters and it was tough to be a small egg pattern with a #20-22 brassie or midge larva as a dropper from the egg. Small nymphs worked equally as well at times. High sticking the nymphs through the heavy water at the head of the runs was always my favorite. You need to be deliberate in your presentation and often subtle changes in flies, weight, leaders, ect will be what dictates your success.

From about now until the end of November proved to be the best time. It was always better for me pre-spawn vs. post-spawn.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Targeting fall browns 2010/10/18 14:35:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jkrunningdeer

thanks loomis when you say dead eggs are you referring to eggs that are light or tan in color that float out of the redds?

Yes I am.  Since you will be fishing the areas that you and I have PM'ed about, this is what has worked well for me.
    flyway
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: Targeting fall browns 2010/10/18 23:36:11 (permalink)
    Esox is right on.
    Throw the big nasty streamers or nymph small stuff and eggs methodically and slowly. Obviously cloud cover helps the streamer fishing, especially on the Youghiocoochee.
    jkrunningdeer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Targeting fall browns 2010/10/19 08:23:42 (permalink)
    Thanks guys!
    Jump to: