Clarification of NY regs

Author
Wild John
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 131
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/12 11:35:03 (permalink)

Clarification of NY regs

In light of Snagging Azzhat video below, I thought I'd inquire of the Empire State experts on a reg. question I had. I know that 2 flies is a "No-no" in NY, but the question of a bead (no hook) before a fly is one I have. I cannot find any reg. that specifically excludes this, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I've had people say both. Anybody have "the truth"?

7 Replies Related Threads

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Clarification of NY regs 2010/10/12 13:42:21 (permalink)
    There are presently no NYS regs that specifically address the latest fish catching phenomenon - although I heard that one is being considered for the next update in 2012.

As you stated, the bead has no hook,so it cannot be considered a separate fly.

I would imagine that if DEC tries to regulate it, it will be in regards to the distance the bead is pegged from hook.
    If they look down upon a bare hook, a couple of thread wraps will solve that.

The bead is quite effective..

I wonder how much the bait shops like them - reason being is that they are nowhere as profitable as them little canisters of egg sacks. 

Wild John
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Clarification of NY regs 2010/10/12 14:21:42 (permalink)
    Thanks DT- I concur with your assessment re: effectiveness and potential targets for regulation. I have found no ill effect to fishing a sparsely tied fly rather than a simple "flossed" hook. I do try to "keep it close". The idea of a hook riding 12" behind just seems "wrong" but don't tell that to the AK guys.
    knoxyakfisher
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Clarification of NY regs 2010/10/12 20:43:39 (permalink)
    Hey guys. Finally made it up here Sunday and been fishing for two days now - still no hookups - but seeing many others hook up. Frustrating, but still learning how. Had one angler give me some tips on rigging and how he was hooking up, so hopefully that will help going forward.

Do have another regulation question. This guy told me that there had to be a break in your line; main line - swivel - leader - hook. I can find nothing in the regs that state this. All I see is that your weight can be no more than 4' from your hook, 1/2' gap in hook, single hook, etc. - I cannot find anything about having break in line. He said DEC would fine you if you didn't.

Anybody no what page this is on, or if this is in fact true? Thanks.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Clarification of NY regs 2010/10/12 20:51:01 (permalink)
    There is no DEC reg that requires a break in your line.

However it is a good idea to do so, and have a leader of lesser strength tied to your stronger mainline.
    The reason why it is a good idea is to prevent leaving a big mess of line behind if you get snagged or spooled by a fish.

Most folks use a small barrel swivel, but a good knot works too (I personally like the double uni knot - easy to tie)

p.s. - the DSR (pay to play area) requires a line break.

knoxyakfisher
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Clarification of NY regs 2010/10/12 20:59:15 (permalink)
    Thanks drake. Don't know where that guy got the idea, but I sure couldn't find it. It certainly makes sense though to help prevent yards and yards of mono littering the river. Thanks for the info.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Clarification of NY regs 2010/10/12 22:09:50 (permalink)
    I think there was a rule at one time. DSR still requires this break rule by swivel or knot. Dam duud- get some! I will be there sometime late weekend for a couple days.

Lyrical
    ssgt12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Clarification of NY regs 2010/10/17 14:02:14 (permalink)
    i was fishing next to two guys on wed that were using two flies they said that it was legal to do when dcnr came down and was checking us out i asked him and he told me only one hook on a line so that answered that. beads are okay to use as long as they are close to the hook
    what close means in am not sure but he did say that a unbaited hook is snagging so i guess it depends on who the warden is
    Jump to: