duck opener

Author
sstuffy
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 104
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/11 19:08:57 (permalink)

duck opener

how did everyone do on the opener took my 13 year old brother in law out to a private swamp and we got lots of shooting at some woodies ended up getting only three but had lots of fun definetly rusty on the shooting though cant wait for goose season to start up again

8 Replies Related Threads

Dan0348
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: duck opener 2010/10/11 22:36:35 (permalink)
    Had about 200 mallards come off the swamp the first day and 1 teal as I could see. Ended up getting 2 drakes and my buddy got 1 hen mallard. Went out again this morning wish it would of been overcast. Most of the ducks were landing in the swamp at about 6:50 but when it became 7:02 we gave em hell. Ended up for me atleast not getting anything today nothing but a lot of feathers flyin.... Ill be hittin the swamp the rest of the week.

Lets Go Pen's!
    sstuffy
    Avid Angler
    RE: duck opener 2010/10/12 20:34:05 (permalink)
    thats a good number of mallards for this early in the season and yea the sunny days are horrible for waterfowl cant wait for a nice rainy day to go out again but every time i get a chance to go its always clear out good luck the rest of the week
    frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: duck opener 2010/10/13 11:16:53 (permalink)
    didn't get out for the opener, but went out monday and got a nice drake woodie, a hen mallard and a drake mallard.  both mallards were banded.  took my 6 month old yellow lab pup out for his first time and he is definitely going to be a good one.  the woodie landed in the woods and he didn't see him go down, but I sent him on line and within 30 seconds he come charging back out from the thickets with his first retrieve!  best part about the hunt, my first ever duck hunt when I was 12 I got 2 bands and now my first dog's first hunt he got 2 bands....

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    Dan0348
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: duck opener 2010/10/13 15:14:36 (permalink)
    Frost where do you hunt at in hunt in lawrence county. I know of 3 swamps around here that are very good duck hunting. The swamp I hunted past few days has been loaded with mallards for weeks now. I do not understand why but as soon as I shoot they come right back in. I have no idea why they love this swamp. Im not sure if the creeks are being pressured a lot but I am the only one hunting this swamp. They seem to disapeer for 30 minutes then they come back in and its usually same amount of birds maybe a few less.

Lets Go Pen's!
    sstuffy
    Avid Angler
    RE: duck opener 2010/10/13 20:35:58 (permalink)
    thats great frost nothing better than hunting with a good dog and congrats on the jewelry im gonna look for a lab pup in the spring im getting tired of retreiving the ducks myself any suggestions where to get a good pup ?
    frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: duck opener 2010/10/14 14:14:23 (permalink)
    dan, i hunt all over western pa but this week i have been hunting mainly crawford.  swamps are probably my favorite for ducks.  there are enough spots that you need to work to get to which keeps most guys from hunting it so it makes for a nice safe haven for the ducks.  if they are coming back its either because of food available in the swamp your at or like you said pressure on the creeks from other hunters.

sstuffy, i dont know how much your looking to spend on a lab, but if you dont mind spending some money i would recommend the place i got mine from.  the blood line is great, great warranty on the pup, and you get all the rights with the akc papers.  most places give limited rights, keep you from breeding and stuff like that...if you want specifics like breeders name and info and some costs send me a pm...

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    DJ2007
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: duck opener 2010/10/17 12:33:54 (permalink)
    My buddy and I Limited on Woodies in the first 20 minutes opening day. Saw very few duck after that. Surprised there were no Mallards where we hunted. Monday we each got a Woodie 2 shots, 2 ducks. Only saw 8 birds.
    waspman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: duck opener 2010/10/20 08:41:53 (permalink)
    My buddy and I limited out the first day.I was suprised to not see any bands on the mallards this year so far.We were done by 8:00..the lab did an awesome job for a 2 year old..;)

There's room for all gods creatures....right next to the taters and gravy.
    Jump to: