Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/11 17:15:36 (permalink)

wow

Seems like this place had a lot more action in late August. I feel very sorry for the guys who get up only a few times a year. Mother nature definitely took its course.... oh well.... bring on the steel... oh yeah and I feel even more sorry for those who can't withstand d the cold...mother nature definitely gets revenge...lol

35 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: wow 2010/10/11 18:22:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

Seems like this place had a lot more action in late August. I feel very sorry for the guys who get up only a few times a year. Mother nature definitely took its course.... oh well.... bring on the steel... oh yeah and I feel even more sorry for those who can't withstand d the cold...mother nature definitely gets revenge...lol

dont feel sorry for me :) Bigger is not always better ..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/11 19:59:22 (permalink)
    tuna... by now you are chasing some 12 horned slobs... right on...
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/11 20:54:26 (permalink)
    Trout season for the most part comes to an end friday and Bow opens Saturday ..
    They need not have horns to taste good

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: wow 2010/10/11 22:21:34 (permalink)
    Tuna - any particular reason why the NY trout season (besides Lake O tribs is limited to the period 04/1 thru 10/15 ?

And can you still fish the waters for other species?

just curious -

any info would be appreciated.

down here in Pennsyltucky they only close the season for 6 weeks Feb1 to 2nd weekend in April, and no fishing whatsoever is allowed in the trout approved waters (some special reg areas are open year round).
    post edited by draketrutta - 2010/10/11 22:23:42
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/12 06:21:11 (permalink)
    there are select streams that are able to be fished in winter months. i remember fishing the beaverkill through the winter many years ago...the conetquot in long island as well... i'm sure there are more. west canada creek may have an extension but i'm not sure. it's been a long time since i've targeted stream trout... i'd like to maybe target some of the wild trout up in upper tug hill and foot hills of adirondacks one of these days...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/12 06:22:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hot tuna

Trout season for the most part comes to an end friday and Bow opens Saturday ..
    They need not have horns to taste good

in jersey it is unlimited doe... i know a few people who take advantage of that... save me a back strap for the pan... lol
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: wow 2010/10/12 09:27:34 (permalink)
    F that. I'll be up there this coming weekend. Flows are back to normal.

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/12 10:31:27 (permalink)
    Hey salmo concentrate on steel theyare all over the place
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/12 13:56:17 (permalink)
    DB - thanks for info - I know there are some select streams open year round,

but I was wondering why NY chooses to close the trout season for such a long time period (5 1/2 months).

just curious what is behind their decision to do so.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: wow 2010/10/12 14:31:58 (permalink)

Hey salmo concentrate on steel theyare all over the place

I'm not sure I would charecterize it as all over the place.
    I fished from first light til 10am today. There were only 5 hook ups in my sight range.
    All of those were steel though.
    1 runt for me.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: wow 2010/10/12 17:14:03 (permalink)
    Oh--there were QUITE a few around---lots of browns too.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/12 19:34:18 (permalink)
    hey salmo, my friend on a stretch of river that i will leave unmentioned; fished til 1 pm on monday and went 5 for 15 on steel. everyone around him was hooking steel too. he was actually a little upset to see all of the salmon rippers stringing steelies left and right. yes it's legal to keep trout, but i do admit that i hate to see big salmon crowds while there are good numbers of steel... it just doesn't sit well with me, well actually the big crowds don't sit well with me either way you look at it... salmo pm me if you wanna know where he was fishing...
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/12 19:39:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: draketrutta

Tuna - any particular reason why the NY trout season (besides Lake O tribs is limited to the period 04/1 thru 10/15 ?

just curious -

down here in Pennsyltucky they only close the season for 6 weeks Feb1 to 2nd weekend in April, and no fishing whatsoever is allowed in the trout approved waters (some special reg areas are open year round).

Spawning trout on most waters.. Brook Trout per say is the big shut down.. Some larger ponds & waters collect brook trout eggs for strain & future stocking reasons.
    Yes there are some select waters still C&R but like said once the ponds & headwaters close .. Trout season is done..

Honestly I would not mind seeing it remained open with special regs where needed..
    There are hundreds if not thousands of fishing areas (streams & ponds, lakes ) that would get little if any pressure from here on out.. I mean Really, how many people are going to hike 3 to 6 miles on snowshoes to ice fish or even fish for that matter..

Oh well Trout season will come to a close Oct.15th and Brown Town ( Fins & Legs ) will begin..

P.S.
    Just to add .. Where you cant use bait fish any way.. Humm maybe that is the reason ??
    post edited by hot tuna - 2010/10/12 19:56:31

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/12 20:07:25 (permalink)
    I can see the spawning consideration. But 5 1/2 months is along time - especially for a NY local guy that lives close to streams that run year round..

I makes me wonder why Pa does not close down some waters due to the fall spawning habits of browns.

But like you say, alot of folks are busy hunting and the pressure falls off a great deal, so perhaps the PA Fish Commish takes that into consideration....

I much prefer fishing the fall/winter months, no bugs, snakes, high temps & humidity, no heavy brush busting,

Oh well - good luck on the Vennison Trail.

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/12 22:19:02 (permalink)
    I'll be going for Steel & maybe break my Brown Trout & Coho curse. I fish for brown Trouts at home, little & big- can't catch one up there. grrr.

Lyrical
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/12 22:24:39 (permalink)

hey salmo, my friend on a stretch of river that i will leave unmentioned; fished til 1 pm on monday and went 5 for 15 on steel. everyone around him was hooking steel too. he was actually a little upset to see all of the salmon rippers stringing steelies left and right. yes it's legal to keep trout, but i do admit that i hate to see big salmon crowds while there are good numbers of steel... it just doesn't sit well with me, well actually the big crowds don't sit well with me either way you look at it... salmo pm me if you wanna know where he was fishing...

Awesome day. Thanks for the offer. I'll take any help I can get. I gotta tie up some glo bugs/SS.
    If you'd like some let me know. I fish many colors in glo bug & Angora yarn.
    John

Lyrical
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: wow 2010/10/12 23:02:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

F that. I'll be up there this coming weekend. Flows are back to normal.

lmao

I have become comfortably numb
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/13 02:48:12 (permalink)
    I was WAY upriver from you Slayer.
    About as far from a parking area as you can get.
    5 minutes after I started fishing a group of 6 arrived.
    Instead of getting to swing my way down through the bucket with my spey I was pinned with 3 below me(of course they jumped below me as I cast and stepped down) and 3 above.
    Had to get the single stick and work the edge of the best water.
    As I said mid river in 4 hours I saw 5 fish hooked.
    Different spots produce different action.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/13 05:59:20 (permalink)

just curious -

Spawning trout on most waters.. Brook Trout per say is the big shut down.. Some larger ponds & waters collect brook trout eggs for strain & future stocking reasons.
    Yes there are some select waters still C&R but like said once the ponds & headwaters close .. Trout season is done..

Honestly I would not mind seeing it remained open with special regs where needed..
    There are hundreds if not thousands of fishing areas (streams & ponds, lakes ) that would get little if any pressure from here on out.. I mean Really, how many people are going to hike 3 to 6 miles on snowshoes to ice fish or even fish for that matter..

Oh well Trout season will come to a close Oct.15th and Brown Town ( Fins & Legs ) will begin..

P.S.
    Just to add .. Where you cant use bait fish any way.. Humm maybe that is the reason ??

i wonder why they open the season so early then... i can't tell you how many breeding rainbows we used to catch in rivers like the calicoon, ten mile, neversink...all in early season. natural breeding delaware rainbows... unfortunately they are disappearing due to lack of spawning habitat in all of the tribs i mentioned since the floods in the past 10 years... maybe they should start doing something about it....
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/13 06:07:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: waDerboy

I was WAY upriver from you Slayer.
    About as far from a parking area as you can get.
    5 minutes after I started fishing a group of 6 arrived.
    Instead of getting to swing my way down through the bucket with my spey I was pinned with 3 below me(of course they jumped below me as I cast and stepped down) and 3 above.
    Had to get the single stick and work the edge of the best water.
    As I said mid river in 4 hours I saw 5 fish hooked.
    Different spots produce different action.

I know---sometimes it's only a matter of a 1/4mi or so---heard that a guide (w/ boat) had a 30 hookup day w/ his sports.

waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/13 15:23:59 (permalink)
    Had three boats go by me.
    First was Strike zone. He quietly slid by and set up to plug below (well played and major props).
    Didn't see a rod buckle before he was out of sight.
    Second was some hippie in a fish rite with a blue stripe.
    Dipped the oars a couple times but kept it to a minimal. Also set up below to pull plugs. Never saw a rod bow for him either.

Thrid was a diamond side (like a pickups tool box).
    He dropped oars a lot more than the other two and proceeded to anchor where the others had set up to run plugs. About a half hour later one of his pinners hooked and landed a mid sized chromie.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/13 19:44:07 (permalink)

just curious -

P.S.

i wonder why they open the season so early then... i can't tell you how many breeding rainbows we used to catch in rivers like the calicoon, ten mile, neversink...all in early season. natural breeding delaware rainbows... unfortunately they are disappearing due to lack of spawning habitat in all of the tribs i mentioned since the floods in the past 10 years... maybe they should start doing something about it....

Its not about the rainbows or browns .. It's the brook trout.. Mainly ponds. Brookies are a treasure here.. The crown Jewel.
    Great lengths are taken to protect them.. With the reclaim of ponds and no baitfish regulations..
    Really though , find a lake or pond with baitfish or smelt, with brookies.. hummm , look in the record books..

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/13 20:02:30 (permalink)
    F that pinner toting bastage WB.

Lyrical
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/13 20:07:24 (permalink)
    Speaking of wow- check this tool shed out. Hahaha.
    Attention!!! Zero tolerance policy!!!
    To the SalmonCrazy Nation…effective immediately, zero tolerance policy.

No more warnings, no more infractions…just banning.

It is crystal clear that many of you cannot act in an adult fashion, so you will be treated how you are acting. Banned, gone…bye-bye.

I’d advice everyone to think clearly 1st prior to typing any response on this site…if it has any inflammatory feel at all…you are gone!
    ners.

Lyrical
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/13 21:00:44 (permalink)
    I wonder how long b4 I get the axe--lol

waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/14 06:07:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

F that pinner toting bastage WB.

I got nothing against well behaved pinners but either the boat jock wasn't very good or didn't care as much as the first two.

Now the gang of yutzes that came late, set up and then waded in below me and out beyond me was a bunch of heavy metal (at least twice the weight I was using even after I had to fit in around them by shortening my drifts) throwing "fly guys".
    They showed no courtesy for my being there first.
    In fact they scowled at me as if my being there waiting to fish for a half hour in some way made me the bad guy.
    Lesson relearned. Never fish the water always go to the sweet spot and grow roots.
    F them all.
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    RE: wow 2010/10/14 08:56:43 (permalink)
    f- the nation and all its natzi crap
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: wow 2010/10/14 09:09:12 (permalink)
    Yeah- I loves growing roots. Even to the extent of unbuckling my waders & taking a squirt. Pee on em.

Lyrical
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    RE: wow 2010/10/14 09:13:53 (permalink)
    :)
    feels like home here
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: