Here today gone tomorrow

Author
spawnboy
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/11 16:55:48 (permalink)

Here today gone tomorrow

Fished Dunbar creek friday evening, I would say 40-50 fish in each of the 4 holes i fished. Went back today lucky to find 10 fish in each of the holes left ,keep in mind this is a fly fishing only creek that is catch and release. A school bus of teenagers which i thought was cool, until they left there trash laying around the area they fished and ate! Why is this creek not patrolled I have yet to encounter a warden on this creek, and it is poached to no end. And before someone posts the fish moved up and down, this is not possible the stream is at a trickle at best. Must have been some fat old raccoons in those woods, but i speculate that raccoons arent the reason for 200 or so fish to come up missing in a matter of 3 days!

24 Replies Related Threads

HereLilFishy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/11 17:21:40 (permalink)
    Those dunbar rednecks need to feed there familys somehow.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/11 18:46:01 (permalink)
    I was there Sunday, there were lots of fish, lots of fisherman, and no water.  That crick sucks.

LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/11 20:59:52 (permalink)
    fish stack up under the dams dude, under the sides as well...the creek sucks, the people of that area are notorious poachers, but I'm sure there are still plenty of fish.  I was there before they stocked and each hole was still holding 20-30 fish, holdovers from spring stocking mind you...

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
    flyfisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 148
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/11 22:31:15 (permalink)
    Dunbar has gone way down hill in the past 10 years. The fish do stack up under the lock dams, but the "folk" around there really do clean it out pretty good after a stocking. Dynamite and shotgun + clear water + fish = easy dinner for a few months. if they would close down the road leading back and make it walk in only, im sure it would help reduce the amount of poaching going on. if that doesnt happen then take a chain saw one day and start cutting down a few hundred trees leading to that spot...should take care of it
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/11 22:31:56 (permalink)
    I see poachers on Kinzua creek too. Same big holes, same worm containers every time.

I even saw a kid trying to snag a pair of spawning browns on the Neshannock DHALO section the other day.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/11 23:06:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SonofZ3
    I see poachers on Kinzua creek too. Same big holes, same worm containers every time.

I'll bet I know where you're talking about Son. It's a pretty notorious spot. I was there last Summer. There was an entire family sitting there, lawn chairs out, chucking worms, eggs, and chartreuse powerbait. Mom, Dad, and two boys, maybe five and six. I said something to Dad to the effect of "FYI, this is an artificial lure area. You'll be facing some pretty hefty fines, and I'd hate to see your kids watch the fish police come down here and make a scene."

The guy's reaction was such that at first, I honestly thought for a moment that he didn't realize his mistake and that I had actually done some semblence of Good Samaritan work. I explained the "posession" concept and everything. Just when I thought that this guy got the gist, he got indignant and blurted, "Now how in the he11 can they expect kids their age to fish with grown-up stuff like that?" Schooled him a little more on the rule. Dead, blank stare, then the dumbest thing I'd ever heard: "They're just kids; he can't write them tickets."

This time of year, when the DHALO's are virtually the only areas being stocked, you'd think the PFBC would be out a little more vigiliantly.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/12 07:59:08 (permalink)
    I've been fishing Dunbar for 35 years and have never witnessed any poaching(although I've been hearing about it for 35 years). I'd like to see them eliminate the little mam-made dams where all the fish and fishermen are. I never figured out the attraction of "fly fishing" up against a dam. Actually, they aren't dams, but they create a hole below them like a dam.
    LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/12 09:41:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tull66

I've been fishing Dunbar for 35 years and have never witnessed any poaching(although I've been hearing about it for 35 years). I'd like to see them eliminate the little mam-made dams where all the fish and fishermen are. I never figured out the attraction of "fly fishing" up against a dam. Actually, they aren't dams, but they create a hole below them like a dam.

I have never witnessed it either, but a reliable source has witnessed a person standing upstream of one of the dams pouring bleach into the creek and a person below netting the fish as they began to float down...Has to be amazing for you and quite tasty I'm sure, kinda explains some of the other things I saw from the "locals".  Example:  I'm fishing the top dam early spring.  Family pulls off in the pull off behind me in a geo metro that by no means could pass inspection, doors open up, 5 kids pop out like a **** clown car, full swimming gear, I'm talking rafts, the little float things that go around your arms, the whole deal.  They run directly in front of me and jump in the water, trout darting in every direction.  I reel in, ask the parents if they think this is florida and they are taking their children to swim with the dolphins to which I just received a blank stare.  But I think the area having no cell phone service contributes to these people acting this way.  They know they can't be reported so they continue acting as if they have no brain. 

If you were to eliminate the dams the creek wouldn't be able to hold many fish, and there would be little to no hold overs.  That creek is a trickle and without those dam's it probably wouldn't even get stocked.

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/12 09:47:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: LoganWade03

I have never witnessed it either, but a reliable source has witnessed a person standing upstream of one of the dams pouring bleach into the creek and a person below netting the fish as they began to float down...

I once found a pile of about 6 chlorox bleach bottles at the creek, just upstream of the parking lot.  This was about 5 or 6 years ago.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/12 10:05:31 (permalink)
    Mohawk: I've talked with a few guys on Kinzua that looked a little indignant then left shortly after. You're right though, a lot of streams popular with poachers would be easy spots to patrol as a WCO. All the holes that get poached regularly on Kinzua are either visible from the road, or under 100 feet from it. I met one WCO on Kinzua creek 5 years or so ago, he checked me and my father's licenses. Nice enough guy. Never seen or met one up in Erie.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/12 10:48:05 (permalink)
    There is a certain large rock in the DHALO section of Kinzua that is notorious for poachers and bait dunkers, which I am sure mohawk and Son are very familiar with. I spend about a week a year up there and nearly every year we have run into something along those lines in that spot. I have told the WCO's about it numerous times and they just really never seem to care all that much. H-ll I see people camping in the DHALO up there, I would be highly suspect if they didn't do their fair share of poaching.

As for Dunbar, I hear the stories of poachers every year. Additionally, I hear about a lot of drug deals and sex themed activities going on in the upper end of the special regs parking lot. There are some "different" people in that area for sure.
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/12 11:14:53 (permalink)
    Heck, in that area, it's all roadside! Same as the refuge areas.

"I have told the WCO's about it numerous times and they just really never seem to care all that much. H-ll I see people camping in the DHALO up there, I would be highly suspect if they didn't do their fair share of poaching."

And that, regrettably, Esox, is wherein a large part of the problem lies.

If I was a WCO, I'd have my deputies performing rolling blitzes on all of the DHALO/FFO/Special Regulation areas up there. Once these places get a reputation as a known target of enforcement, the mindset will change. And no, I don't want to see guys getting tagged for ticky-tack violations, but they do need to crackdown on the poaching, the littering, and the flagrant violations. There are PLENTY of places to fish legally if you're a worm and bobber guy.

My $.02

post edited by mohawksyd - 2010/10/12 11:19:57

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/12 11:19:26 (permalink)
    I hear about a lot of drug deals and sex themed activities going on in the upper end of the special regs parking lot.

Fishing, swimming, drugs, sex, living outside the law. Sounds like a little piece of heaven to me. I might vacation there.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/12 11:29:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy

I hear about a lot of drug deals and sex themed activities going on in the upper end of the special regs parking lot.

Fishing, swimming, drugs, sex, living outside the law. Sounds like a little piece of heaven to me. I might vacation there.

yea, really.  Please post the GPS coodrinates, thanks.

Bless the Fayette-Cong, each and every one.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/12 11:32:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy

Once you see a few Dunbar women I have a feeling you will be changing your tune
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/12 11:59:20 (permalink)
    Once you see a few Dunbar women I have a feeling you will be changing your tune

Haha. I've seen them sunning themselves on rocks at "Blue Hole" a few years back.

Some acquaintances of mine also cut down a very large tree with an AK 47 down there in Fayette-Nam once too...

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/12 14:24:27 (permalink)

...a person standing upstream of one of the dams pouring bleach into the creek and a person below netting the fish as they began to float down...

Dunbar palaminos?

If you were to eliminate the dams the creek wouldn't be able to hold many fish, and there would be little to no hold overs.  That creek is a trickle and without those dam's it probably wouldn't even get stocked.

I fished there before all those dams went in, every month of the year back in the 70's. There were always trout in the creek, natives too!
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/12 15:46:14 (permalink)
    So if there aren't piles of fish still in shock wallowing around the holes they were dropped in, the stream has been cleaned out by poachers?

LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/12 21:23:52 (permalink)

...a person standing upstream of one of the dams pouring bleach into the creek and a person below netting the fish as they began to float down...

Dunbar palaminos?

I fished there before all those dams went in, every month of the year back in the 70's. There were always trout in the creek, natives too!

Gotta love stocking over natives...

LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/12 21:25:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: PeteM

So if there aren't piles of fish still in shock wallowing around the holes they were dropped in, the stream has been cleaned out by poachers?

Yeah dude it's PA...did you forget if you can't see the fish they aren't there?

PeteM
    Expert Angler
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/12 23:18:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: PeteM

Yeah dude it's PA...did you forget if you can't see the fish they aren't there?

I totally did. Sorry man. I just got used to fishing for them where they live and assuming that they are there whether you see them or not.

Mah Bad.

LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/13 00:26:58 (permalink)
    lol could you imagine the crisis that would take place if you couldn't see fish in erie tribs?  

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/13 09:26:14 (permalink)
    lol could you imagine the crisis that would take place if you couldn't see fish in erie tribs?

On certain days, when the light is just right "There ain't no fish dahn 'ere. Its all fished ahht."

- T. Fleming
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    RE: Here today gone tomorrow 2010/10/13 13:41:25 (permalink)
    That crisis takes place every year. Probably as we speak!
    Jump to: