Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
swinger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1376
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/01 22:44:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: glen

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

ORIGINAL: jfdIII

ORIGINAL: swinger

Your flies are sweet.......... but really? Chuck and duck with the Meis? Really!? Hope them few fish were worth the bad mojo you just put into that stick. So what do you prefer? Rubber coating or parachute cord over your pencil lead? C'mon guy. What are you going to do next? Rake up an Atlantic on the Tweed with a killer Dee?

ouch. Point taken. No more. I figured I'd get burned for it. But, hey, tough love, right?

Burned? Buddy you are adaptable like the coyote and had success. In tough times, the Purists suffer dearly...

Catching fish > Building Mojo all day long...

For some reason the troll came out from under his bridge at the SR and decided to visit us. His post making fun of some guys that drowned at Osewego was despictable. Guy's a first class no class. Hope the moderators deal with him quickly.

Probably a pinner as well.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
freshwaterdrumR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 603
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/01 23:15:39 (permalink)
From this weekend.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/02 06:01:52 (permalink)
hey jonny;most people will say they dont see the difference, but i can. nice fish. my mouth is watering for a salter... hopefully in the next couple of years. nice pics
post edited by dimebrite - 2010/12/02 06:02:36
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/02 16:19:36 (permalink)

hey swing will you ever get over yourself??? i see you didn't answer my last question. it was a pretty simple one....
swinger
Pro Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/02 19:43:50 (permalink)
I am sorry for not answering your last question. Actually I dont even know what it was. You see your posts really bore me and as I read them my mind wonders. So sorry I missed it. Well I tried to find a question in one of your multiple posts in multiple threads to me but I couldnt follow your ramblings.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/02 20:32:16 (permalink)
i'll ask in pm...
swinger
Pro Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/02 20:39:21 (permalink)
good idea

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/02 20:53:41 (permalink)
and maybe you can leave your snotty and elitist comments to pm as well... sorry man had to do it...
swinger
Pro Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/02 20:56:33 (permalink)
Maybe maybe not.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/02 21:55:36 (permalink)

Darn straight mooky..

I use the pin in the colder months when your two hander setup will freeze like a popsicle in a matter of minutes and you stand in the river with your hand over your junk like Michael Jackson.

Besides, I sometimes enjoy letting my float slip between swingers legs and snatching a fish at their feet....
post edited by draketrutta - 2010/12/02 21:56:26
glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/03 07:12:23 (permalink)

Darn straight mooky..

I use the pin in the colder months when your two hander setup will freeze like a popsicle in a matter of minutes and you stand in the river with your hand over your junk like Michael Jackson.

Besides, I sometimes enjoy letting my float slip between swingers legs and snatching a fish at their feet....

YAWN
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/03 10:20:07 (permalink)
Glen - I am also proficent with fly rods - ranging from 3wgts for little brookie steams up to 9 wgts for mudharks and stripers.

But one thing I don't do with a fly rod is camp out at the Lower Fly Zone (a.k.a. Kiddie Pool) like you do and C&R the same fish over & over & over & over again till it floats downstream belly up to turn into a seagull's dinner..

Rumor has it that you have a clause in your will that you want to buried overlooking the Cemetary Pool...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/03 10:57:24 (permalink)
Hey glen. Was that you I shared water with in the lower fly last January? You took a pic of one of the fish I caught that day and emailed it to me. If its you I really enjoyed sharing that water with you and the boys that day. We all did good and fished respectably with eachother. Let me know... it was me and my father.
Plum Bob
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 575
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/03 16:05:14 (permalink)
What's a mudhark?
glen
Expert Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/03 16:39:53 (permalink)

Glen - I am also proficent with fly rods - ranging from 3wgts for little brookie steams up to 9 wgts for mudharks and stripers.

But one thing I don't do with a fly rod is camp out at the Lower Fly Zone (a.k.a. Kiddie Pool) like you do and C&R the same fish over & over & over & over again till it floats downstream belly up to turn into a seagull's dinner..

Rumor has it that you have a clause in your will that you want to buried overlooking the Cemetary Pool...

Yawn, Attacking the wrong guy TROLL, haven't been to the SR in twenty years. YAWN PLUS 1, get a life [somewhere else]
glen
Expert Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/03 16:51:44 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Plum Bob

What's a mudhark?

I sure don't know.While we're at it , what's a Draketrutta?

Nice pic Drum
Sorry about your thread going south jfd
post edited by glen - 2010/12/03 16:57:28
glen
Expert Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/03 17:01:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

Hey glen. Was that you I shared water with in the lower fly last January? You took a pic of one of the fish I caught that day and emailed it to me. If its you I really enjoyed sharing that water with you and the boys that day. We all did good and fished respectably with eachother. Let me know... it was me and my father.

No
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/03 17:06:53 (permalink)
Didn't hurt to ask glen. Yeah nice catch drummer. I have a DW six piece kit. Yamaha is nice also...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/03 23:39:37 (permalink)

Your flies are sweet.......... but really? Chuck and duck with the Meis? Really!? Hope them few fish were worth the bad mojo you just put into that stick. So what do you prefer? Rubber coating or parachute cord over your pencil lead? C'mon guy. What are you going to do next? Rake up an Atlantic on the Tweed with a killer Dee?

i'd say the thread got ruined here... JD fish on brother... to sum up and maybe eliminate the BS that has gone on in this thread even on my behalf at times; for god sakes, it's just fishing....
HCsteel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/03 23:48:14 (permalink)
Mod should come through and clean this up to the way it was and should be.
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/04 00:11:06 (permalink)

to sum up and maybe eliminate the BS that has gone on in this thread even on my behalf at times; for god sakes, it's just fishing....

i think deleting all your posts is a good start...

dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/04 00:25:31 (permalink)
if you read from the beginning of the thread i thought i was fine. maybe a few misunderstandings and egos got in the way... read my pm...
Bill I.
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/11 12:24:23 (permalink)
Interesting thread, nice to see some new interest in this region..

In my experience switch rods are to long even on lower sections of streams the size of 20 mile for swing presentations. They become more of a nuisance than enhancement. A 9’-91/2’ single hand is preferred by myself with 5’ -6’ poly leaders and tubes of various sink rates or cone heads / bead heads or simply mono leader with a couple of small shot. A compact scandi head in proper grainage (5wt switch grainage 250-300 grain on a 7wt or 8wt single hand) works nice for the micro spey and roll casts on such as the scandi heads fishcast well with out overhang needed close in and doubles for long range shoot head into the surf if you choose though the two hander excells there. Wulff triangle tapers and or long belly WF lines also work well upsized a bit.
Contrary to some, I find it easy to swing on small streams at least in terms of effectiveness compared to large though large rivers are more enjoyable for me overall. Fish are condensed in small streams to more obvious areas, presentation is easier though often at a steeper down stream angle. Add in the high numbers of returns inherit to some regions and it’s quite easy to weave through the the campers with a baitfish or buggy profile and land enough takers to keep those whom have caught there fill over the years plenty happy by keeping your feet moving.

Streams the size of lower Elk is where imo a 10 ½’ compact two hander comes in again with Scandi heads. Personally, I find Skagit cumbersome, overly powerful delivery that equal to not only less enjoyable but, less effective for these tribs. They are not very gradient nor the typical flows heavy enough to create deeper, faster currents and slots as seen on narrow streams of the PNW and other regions. I find a clear intermediate poly with weighted fly to a 3”-4” per second poly in 5’-6’ plenty. Hardly a Skagit scenario formula. On streams the size of the lower Catt. switch rods to 13’ers and most often opt for the switches because of there light weight and sporting fun on for the most part mildly sized Steelhead. Scandi or Skagit can be used through any flows there pretty much, more just what you favor. Certainly is a better experience on such with two hands than one swinging. 10’ poly/versi to 7.o inch per second with metal tubes or cones from Scandi to about 71/2’ – 10’ of T8 with Skagit is abot all you ever need even in higher flows as the visibility first clears to warrant fishable water. The lower Grand in Oh. being similar/ditto.

Certainly has added a much appreciated boost of fun, interest and enjoyment to those us whom live locally/regionally and have caught more than our share over the years / decades various ways. I use the compact/switches locally also for river smallies and some special (hush, hush) large river Trout also and love it as do the avid angler’s of decades converts whom I fish with.

My .2 cents worth about a half cent.

Nice thread, nice pics, nice to see with the exception of the ignorant chest pounder with the inferiority complex.

dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/12 17:28:33 (permalink)
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/12 17:35:46 (permalink)
all 7 weights... 13' thomas and thomas, 11' TFO, and a 10' thomas and thomas... my 14'3" 9 weight z axis is at my fathers house; but a very good high/big water stick when coupled with the hardy 11/12 or the sariacione in the last post. tight lines...
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/12 17:36:09 (permalink)
thats some elaborate gear for flossing kings....

dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/12 17:49:29 (permalink)
come on K... are you really gonna start up again... can we just let this go. and you were right about the TFO. they don't make a 12'3"...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/12 17:52:45 (permalink)
you don't know me and lets just leave it at that. but thank you for commenting on my gear... maybe we can share water one of these days and i'm sure both of us will get a laugh out of all of this crap...
swinger
Pro Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/12 19:00:23 (permalink)

the essentials...

A shame that pencil lead makes the line go out.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any switchers out there? Show pics of the rig. 2010/12/13 05:49:30 (permalink)
You should be ashamed swing. No pencil lead used here. Just bb shot sometimes; that is lighter than the sink tips you use. Straight running line is for pencil lead. No running line on any of those reels.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to: