Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/10 23:45:16 (permalink)

Ready to go ====

Got the Horton crossbow today... shot it after work == now I'm sited in and ready to go.... the guy from the archery shop assembled it before bringing it up and sited it in and I did not have to change a thing...dead on at 10=20=30 yards... NICE TIGHT patterns....

just have to go buy my archery tag in the morning... and be in the woods in the afternoon ready for that AR trophy buck

It is heavier than I expected ..... and so far I like the red dot scope... much easier than pin sites on the compound.. may change that in the future though.. I'll have to see how it goes... ???
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/10/10 23:49:25

44 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/11 07:45:09 (permalink)
    Good luck Doc.  Great time of the year to be in the woods. 

On a side note, archery license sales are behind last year as are general license sales through 9/10/10. 
    post edited by dpms - 2010/10/11 07:53:15

My rifle is a black rifle
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/11 10:58:01 (permalink)
    Soon only the hard core hunters will be left. I wonder who will pay the bills then.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/11 11:20:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

I wonder who will pay the bills then.

You and I.

What I am most concerned about is when and if the bottom will fall out.  I firmly believe that participation days are way down statewide with the majority of hunters really only hunting a few days a year. But they continue to buy licenses for those few days.  If these folks decide to hang it up,  we could see a drastic drop.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/11 12:42:44 (permalink)
    If work and family obligations wouldn't keep getting in the way, my participation days would increase greatly!  And oh yeah, Sunday hunting will help too...

Spent 3 days in Houston last week and found out I may need to take a week or two trip within the next 2 weeks to Doha, Qatar.  Talk about ruining a good archery season...

SteelieWheelie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 991
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/11 14:13:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

If work and family obligations wouldn't keep getting in the way, my participation days would increase greatly!  And oh yeah, Sunday hunting will help too...

agreed!  what is the big deal here?  the game commission really needs to sit down and realize how much sunday hunting would impact the hunting.  yeah more animals may die but that would possibly bring in a lot more hunters. I hate when seasons open on saturdays and then you have to wait until monday to hunt again.  or even next saturday cuz i cant get out until then.  thats why i hunt new york more than PA.

Early to bed
    Early to rise
    Fish like hell
    And make up lies!
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/11 14:57:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SteelieWheelie

the game commission really needs to sit down and realize how much sunday hunting would impact the hunting. 

The issue is not a PGC one.  Expansion lies with the legislature.  The current President of the PGC BOC fully supports additional Sunday hunting opportunities that last time I talked to him.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/11 15:08:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Got the Horton crossbow today... shot it after work == now I'm sited in and ready to go.... the guy from the archery shop assembled it before bringing it up and sited it in and I did not have to change a thing...dead on at 10=20=30 yards... NICE TIGHT patterns....

just have to go buy my archery tag in the morning... and be in the woods in the afternoon ready for that AR trophy buck

It is heavier than I expected ..... and so far I like the red dot scope... much easier than pin sites on the compound.. may change that in the future though.. I'll have to see how it goes... ???

Well at least you have had lots of time to become familiar with a new weapon before you take it afield and try and kill something...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/11 15:16:42 (permalink)
    The last survey that I read showed the farmers/landowners 80% against it and the hunters almost evenly divided over it so I can't imagine any politican touching the issue.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/11 15:35:50 (permalink)
    have 100% confidence or I would not be taking out this evening...

I am wondering about the red dot scope.. I love how it works and as I said I am already dead on up to 30 yards.. can't image I'll shoot over 20-25 though...

how long will the battery last ??

while I'm sitting on stand do you have it on or do I wait until I see something ??
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/11 19:43:17 (permalink)

how long will the battery last ??

while I'm sitting on stand do you have it on or do I wait until I see something ??

I only turn on my red dots when I suspect game is approaching and I always carry a spare battery with me.  Unless of course your red dot is a $600 Aimpoint, then you could leave it on for a year.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/11 19:47:34 (permalink)

The last survey that I read showed the farmers/landowners 80% against it and the hunters almost evenly divided over it so I can't imagine any politican touching the issue.

Time will tell.  The best I can get a feel for is 50/50 in my contacts.  Of course the Farm Bureau is dead set against it and they do have the politicians ears. 

Ultimately, control should be in the PGC hand's.  Then the farm bureau, hunters, landowners etc.. can lobby the PGC on what species and days we should be able to hunt. 

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/11 22:43:59 (permalink)
    What kinda X-Gun and what kinda scope is on it ?
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/11 23:19:33 (permalink)
    DPMS

I am fairly certain that early this year the Legislature quietly ruled to all the PGC to make the decisions on sunday hunting, thereby washing thier hands of the aftermath.

I know what you say was true a year ago. But I don't think so any more. Will go try and find the info.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/11 23:29:28 (permalink)
    My bad, the bill (HB 779) once in 2007 and again in march of 2009, has twice been referred to the Game and Fisheries committee, which from what I can tell is where it sits now.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2009&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=0779&pn=1288

Anyone else who supports it, send an email and tell them to get moving.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/12 07:54:34 (permalink)
    Yea, that bill has been stalled with little chance or being renewed.  I am hearing some grumblings that another bill may be in the works to move all Sunday hunting into the PGC hands to control.

Boy would that be nice. 

Funny thing is though that there are actually some within the PGC that don't won't the responsibility because they know it could be a devisive issue.  To me, Sunday hunting is a seasons and bag limits issue and should be handled by the PGC like any other day of the week. 

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/12 07:54:34 (permalink)
    Deleted.  Double post.
    post edited by dpms - 2010/10/12 07:55:51

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/12 11:12:36 (permalink)
    Trouble with the PGC making the decision...

it will further widen the split between hunters... they can not make everyonme happy now and for them to OKAY Sunday hunting would make 1/2 happy and the other 1/2 mad...

and it will get them on the wrong side of all the non-hunting public that wants nothing to do with Sunday hunting..

that's the EXACT reason the game and fisheries or the other elected reps do not want to move on the issue.. they fear it will cost them their jobs and then the newer elected reps will change it back to NO Sunday Hunting after getting elected to replace them.

The divide between those for and those against Sunday Hunting is just to close (50-50 state wide) for elected people to rule, so they want to push it off on someone else..

if you do not consider the hunters it would be thrown out already.... the hunters and PGC are the ones keeping it on the table at least for now.... and the PGC does NOT want to make the decision..

that is based on what I have been told by PGC Staff and the local senators and reps... and a couple on the game and fisheries committee.....

so that's why it just sits around doing or going no where...

so yes hunters need to keep bringing the subject up.. but we really need more non-hunters, farmers, and church people to speak up and ask for Sunday hunting to get it to move anywhere

and I'm not sure that's going to happen ............
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/10/12 11:19:00
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/12 11:26:58 (permalink)
    double post ?????????
    site is VERY VERY slow today and seems to have a problem ?????
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/10/12 11:29:40
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/12 11:27:09 (permalink)
    I got a Horton Summitt and it has a single red dot scope, this is it...

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/10/12 11:28:40
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/12 11:57:36 (permalink)

Trouble with the PGC making the decision...

it will further widen the split between hunters...

The root of the problem, basically.   The legislature doesn't want to touch it.  They say the PGC hasn't asked for it.  The PGC punting to the legislature saying it is in their hands.

Because Pa is in the dark ages with many things, we have this dilemma.  Sunday hunting is a season and bag limits issue, nothing more.  The PGC should have control over it and make those decisions.  Too bad that they will have to make the decision if they get control.  It is their job.  They will gather input from their staff and hear from the sportsmen of the state, then make their recommendations.

I would like to see a commisisioner offer a resolution in support of the legislature moving control of Sunday hunting to the PGC.  Much the way the BOC recently approved a resolution in support of the youth doe transfer bill. 
    post edited by dpms - 2010/10/12 12:02:53

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/12 12:15:09 (permalink)
    I like to consider myself somewhat educated and what that education tells me is that no one wants to make the decision here.....

the second part of this that never gets considered is, what are we going to give up in exchange for sunday hunting?

Don't mistake me, I am for it, but how much of your archery season are you willing to sacrifice in order to be able to hunt on sundays? How much shoter will rifle season be??

There are a lot of questions that go along with the issue that I don't hear discussed a lot. And it is these issues that will truly divide the hunters. I hope that it is not after the fact, (that would just lead to more resentment for the PGC). What I do hope will happen is a series of public discussions, where the sportsmen's concerns are accurately documented and listened to, followed by a gradual change to the law. As opposed to what we have seen in the past, which is general disregard for the sportsmens' opinions and a head first dive into wholesale change.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/12 12:20:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

What I do hope will happen is a series of public discussions, where the sportsmen's concerns are accurately documented and listened to, followed by a gradual change to the law. As opposed to what we have seen in the past, which is general disregard for the sportsmens' opinions and a head first dive into wholesale change.

While I agree, the best option is for total control to be given to the PGC.  That gets politicians out of deciding which species and on what days we can hunt.

At that time, your concerns would be addressed by the PGC.  They gather input from their staff, the hunting and non-hunting public and go from there.  If protocol is followed, the process takes  9 months from a idea to a final vote. 

Ultimately, someone has to take control of the leash and I would rather see that control with the PGC as Sunday hunting is nothing more than a seasons and bag limits issue, IMO.  There are social implications as well and lately the PGC has given them more weight.
    post edited by dpms - 2010/10/12 12:26:29

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/12 12:35:45 (permalink)
    dpms, I agree that total control needs to be in the hands of the pgc. However, I would like to see gradual changes implemented rather than diving headlong into a wholesale season lengths and sunday hunting change.

I also think that there are just as many politicians in the pgc as there are in the legislature, so the fact that the house game and fisheries committee still has some influence is not a terrible thing. Checks and balances of sorts.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/12 13:02:47 (permalink)
    I agree with DPMS that control should be in the hands of the PGC. However, as stated, I can understand why They don't want it at this time. The hunters pro/con on the Sunday issue are about 52/48 and most everyone is 70/80% against. The PGC has enough of a perception problem without wading into this one. If they OK Sunday hunting they will be putting more pressure on an already depleted resource of wildlife and it has the potential of backfiring and causing the loss of more hunters who now have more time to spend looking for even less game. Lack of game and lack of places to hunt are two reasons people quit and many landowners have already said they will post their land if it goes through. Not really a lot of wiggle room for who ever grabs this hot potato.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/12 13:14:36 (permalink)

If they OK Sunday hunting they will be putting more pressure on an already depleted resource of wildlife and it has the potential of backfiring and causing the loss of more hunters who now have more time to spend looking for even less game. Lack of game and lack of places to hunt are two reasons people quit and many landowners have already said they will post their land if it goes through.

Yep.  They would have to carefully weigh those decisions.  Doesn't have to be all or nothing.  Start small and go from there. 

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/12 13:40:27 (permalink)
    They have already started small.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/12 14:12:56 (permalink)
    I guess what I meant by starting small would be maybe small game,  archery deer, one Sunday firearms deer, a Sunday or two in spring turkey etc....  Not necessarily all at once. 

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/12 14:29:05 (permalink)
    Where is the money going to come from to pay The WCO's for all the overtime work since the PGC is crying broke. Remember they couldn't run deer check stations because of money and have dropped or reduced many wildlife programs and research programs because of money. Pheasant stocking comes to mind. Being they are union employees I doubt it's going to be a straight time day and they claim to already be under manned.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ready to go ==== 2010/10/12 14:55:04 (permalink)

Where is the money going to come from to pay The WCO's for all the overtime work since the PGC is crying broke.

I guess they would have to figure it out.  Maybe by 2020 when we get Sunday hunting passed by the legislature, we will also have had a license increase. 

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: