looking for tackle info for fishing the oswego river

Author
sniperboy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/08 01:28:34 (permalink)

looking for tackle info for fishing the oswego river

I am asking for some fishing tips on fishing for salmon in the oswego river by the virik dam. I have done the combat fishing years ago and had a great time meeting the locals at leto island and larrys salmon shop. I have 2 rods a 6.5 and a 7 foot MH ugly sticks. My reels are penn 750ss spin reels and I always used 25 pound test. My question is am I over kill with my set up? If I am what is the best set up to have and do you have any good rig set ups, hook sizes od websites to look up,

Thanks Guys Fish On

Sniperboy

9 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: looking for tackle info for fishing the oswego river 2010/10/08 02:03:32 (permalink)
    Hey--- is that island the one where they are putting in the Helipad ?
    JOE PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: looking for tackle info for fishing the oswego river 2010/10/08 06:00:22 (permalink)
    By no means an expert.  Used to fish there a lot many years ago.  Went there before the big rains and things have not changed much.  If you are talking Salmon, your setup is not too bad.  I prefer a little longer rod to keep as much line off the water as possible.  I am most interested in catching trout when I go.  You will hook enough freight trains (kings) anyway.  25# test will help you control the kings somewhat (they still can go if they really want to),  but it will make it difficult to get hits from trout.  Stuff I've used or saw others do well with include egg sacs, powerbait, marshmallows, fake eggs, worms, minnows, even little squares of sponge.  I tend to use a lot less lead than most, and also have a higher percentage of fair hooked fish than the big lead and jerk folks.  Trout beads seem to work well too.  Not hard to hook up if the fish are there and the water is reasonable, which it is not right now.  When I was there, it was 6-7 thousand cfs and coming up.  Now it is still over 10,000.  Can't do much with a fish in that current, and you are limited in where you can go.  Might want to fish the wall on the west side of the river.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: looking for tackle info for fishing the oswego river 2010/10/09 18:19:50 (permalink)
    Life vest & a dingy.

Lyrical
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: looking for tackle info for fishing the oswego river 2010/10/09 23:48:28 (permalink)
    I'll add a hard hat and flak vest for the Oswego circus.
    JOE PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: looking for tackle info for fishing the oswego river 2010/10/10 09:30:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pafisher

I had many days years ago when I would agree with that one, including the day a butt hole (putting it as kindly as possible) cast OVER my shoulder from behind me, and hooked a nice steelie on a sponge.  Still, when I was up a week and a half ago, the people at the big O were generally more friendly and easier to work with than the line of lifters (oops, make that "fishermen") at the Salmon river near the ballpark.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: looking for tackle info for fishing the oswego river 2010/10/10 21:26:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: JOE PA

ORIGINAL: pafisher

I had many days years ago when I would agree with that one, including the day a butt hole (putting it as kindly as possible) cast OVER my shoulder from behind me, and hooked a nice steelie on a sponge.  Still, when I was up a week and a half ago, the people at the big O were generally more friendly and easier to work with than the line of lifters (oops, make that "fishermen") at the Salmon river near the ballpark.

I agree there are Goons everywhere during the Salmon run.For jollys I spent some time observing the "fisherman" in town last week,to my surprise many were actually sorta fishing,then there were the others :(

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: looking for tackle info for fishing the oswego river 2010/10/11 06:54:30 (permalink)
    hey PA, i was surprised to see low mortality levels myself... thanks for keeping an eye on my kindling... you going up again at all? i will be up the next 2 weekends in a row...
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: looking for tackle info for fishing the oswego river 2010/10/11 08:39:03 (permalink)
    dime,my next fishing trip will be end of month to "Steelhead Fantasyland" A/K/A Erie.Don't know when I'll get up to SR again,no plans as of yet.
    Next time I get there you should be under roof and roughed in,heck you may even be finished with it,but then again it never seems to end!LOL
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: looking for tackle info for fishing the oswego river 2010/10/11 08:59:42 (permalink)
    it is a never ending battle... good luck with your steel trips... hopefully roofs will be on ny mid november weather permitting...
    Jump to: