Oct 6 and 7

Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/07 22:42:29 (permalink)

Oct 6 and 7

Some likem chunky, some likem funky and some likem hairy-like a monkey. Retired guy dont play that and I DO NOT play 1200 or more plus runoff that all looks like a mud pie either....
Did a 2 day 3-way trip. Turkey, leaf raking and fishing. Fly fishing  for 2 days without a hit-tried everything in every size, even one of those real shiny sparkly things steel kind of like ( thought it might show up in the mud)---zippo. Only did about 4 hours of fishing and a lot of watching and walking. Saw a lot caught, all were kept, not one released, generally caught by  ripping.  Why do guys insist on standing in the middle of every seam or holding area up to their guts and then cast out in the middle of the fast dirty water. (rip rip rip)
It rained  Wed nite and today water was up more and even dirtier. The ground is saturated, rain goes right to the river.  This  weekend would be a bloodbath if it lowered and cleared.  There are a lot of fish out there.
  Feeder streams continue to be pounded, hundreds on them. The main river lots were about a third full today (only a dozen cars at ballpark) and yesterday, parking was nuts at the feeders. I hope the Hatchery folks consider the lack of spawning in the feeders. Nothing could live to breed under that pressure. John Law was on the feeders Wed., I hope he kept everything he caught too.
Spent 11 months looking forward to October now I cant wait for November- Good luck -I hope others were luckier than I was- Its all good fishing --fish or not.

ps-if I read it right, pineville guage says 1870 for Friday -be safe
post edited by retired guy - 2010/10/08 02:19:23

28 Replies Related Threads

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/07 23:16:21 (permalink)
    Just curious about the condition of the parking lots on the SR....

Are they all ripped up into mud bogs?

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/07 23:25:40 (permalink)
    Hi Drake,
     The lots along the river are OK but the ones at the Altmar bridge are under repair-close to being done-they are filling them and leveling off-they just redid them a couple of weeks ago and now have to do it again.  By the way- was very surprised from what I could see in the high muddy most of the river hasnt really changed much-not that I was everywhere but I did jump around.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/08 01:55:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for report...

Will be heading up in early Nov..

maybe a day or 2 beforehand - gotta get a few cords of wood delivered & stacked before the snow starts piling up.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/08 02:00:36 (permalink)
    I'm nuts-be back up Tuesday with a new fisherman for 3 days then back to Ct Thurs pm , pickup two other guys Friday AM and back up for the weekend. Who said retirement is boring and all you do is sit on your ---
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/08 05:21:14 (permalink)
    On Wed in DSR there was at LEAST 2' + visibility----Although I'd like and am used to more,it did NOTHING to prevent the trout from biting.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/08 07:39:38 (permalink)
    Makes sense. With the Pcompany reporting 1600cfs and Pville showING 1840 and knowing Tbrook still adds more clear water, the spring seeps along Sskin and trickle that comes down the wall at the Lblackhole it should have a bit of visability in the DSR.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/08 09:19:36 (permalink)
    The Wed night rain was around a half inch and dirtied it right up again.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/08 10:12:03 (permalink)

Spent 11 months looking forward to October now I cant wait for November- Good luck -I hope others were luckier than I was- Its all good fishing --fish or not.

That's why I'm usually done in September due to crowds floods and non aggressive fish. I'm looking forward to November as well. Hopefully most of the silt will be washed away by then. Usually the river doesn't darken up so bad its just that there are silt and mud deposits all over... it can only get better from here.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/08 10:40:29 (permalink)
    I'm sure it did. Metal said he was fishing fri before the rain.
    The good thing about the tribs is that they clear fast and start cleaning the flow back up downriver.
    On a base flow of 1600cfs the addition of 600 or so cfs from the sources I mentioned (and I left out the trickle by the old trooper station and the trickle where the old coho wier was and I know there are more but rewalking the river in ones mind leaves room for several more adult moments)is adding more than a third of the flow as clean clear water.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/08 22:59:55 (permalink)
    I walked a bit of the first feeder brook above the Tressel on Wednesday before the new rain and new silt. Granted it was much clearer than the river itself but dont think for a moment it wasnt dirty too from runoff. I stood by a run watching guys fish a small pool and you couldnt see the bottom of the 18 inch deep run very well and couldnt see into the pool beyond a foot or so. I didnt fish it at all due to the pressure. In fact my rod stayed broken down for an hour or so while I walked that feeder looking around. They may be feeding the river clearer water but not by much. I know you dont need very clear water to fish but I'm a fifty percenter at best and need all the breaks I can get.
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/10/08 23:08:27
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/08 23:11:48 (permalink)
    Was on the fly zones Sun,Mon, Tues,Wed,Thurs.Caught a bunch of Salmon on conehead wooly buggers in olive,black,brown,and chartruse on the swing.To those that say they do not hit,they should have felt the way those fish grabbed those buggers.The olive buggers got many more strikes than the other colors,seemed strange considering the water.
    Also fished a stretch of water with chartruse glo bug,caught a lot of fish with that.Pete was using a orange/yellow/red astez fly and he did really well with that.
    Inbetween all the Salmon we also caught a bunch of Steelies and one 3# Brown.
    They're running the water at 1600 until Mon night and with run off it's a little over 2000.
    For anyone that fishes the UFZ you are in for a surprise thanks to the flood,unfortantely it's not a pleasant surprise.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/08 23:31:04 (permalink)
    Good work. Tried a dark blue bugger for while with no luck, like I said 50% -and working at it. Used a fly rod all my life in small streams with bait. Most of my years on the river I used a spinner. Am still getting the bugs out with actual fly fishing. Love it though.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/09 06:16:20 (permalink)
    Retired Guy
    My post was not to say the river isn't murkier than normal. The dams usually keep it like glass.

Never thought for a second that they were dumping spring creek clear water.
    But it was clearer (from reports of the river I read) than what is flowing through the dams into the river.
    My comments were to show why it would be clearer the lower you were since each of the factors I mentioned, plus more I forgot and the ones I don't know about, add a bit more clearer water to the main flow.
    From the numbers posted by brookfield and gauge hieghts it seems to be 30-40 percent more by the time it hits the DSR.
    A bit of color usually helps in fishing,giving the fish a sense of safety.
    Reports I read on other sites claim seeing ones feet knee deep upriver. That is more than enough for fish to see and take a well placed bait. Add a foot to that in the DSR and you have 2' plus as Slayer stated.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/09 16:55:41 (permalink)
    Hey Wad,
      No argument here, different folks see different things. I wish I could have seen my feet in knee deep water upriver where I do most of my fishing but I couldnt. If I could have I may have ventured to some favorite places. Having a near drowning experience when I wasnt even fishing has made me overly cautious.
        Will try again Tues Wed and Thurs.-Never give up--never give up -never give up.
       Good luck guys -keep fishing
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/09 18:20:44 (permalink)
    Floated top end  with clients today, its still not clear enough to see your feet in knee deep water, yet, but that did not slow the bite. First hour of fishing saw at least 10 steelies landed, we hooked up on the steel a few times  but did not manage to bring any to net. We did manage two monster kings and got the best of a dozen or so more. I didnt notice much change in the upper end except for some missing log jambs, mother natures way of cleaning house. Good luck to all and stay safe its still a little high for my taste, bye the way we hit all our fish on sacks, blue were best with white next.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/09 21:38:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tip Fan,
    Guess I'll skip the flies and go for sacs this week-any suggestions on how to fish them in this water  -Fly rod or spinner etc-- Latest reports I read say its a bit clearer too and I hope to see it drop from 1600-the Waterline only gave till Monday night-I'll be up Tues through Thurs.

Good fishing everyone
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/10/09 21:40:04
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/10 07:13:30 (permalink)
    white sacs I tied extra large cause of the water and we fished them under floats on noodle rods, the blue sacs we were bottom bounceing with slinkies, 5 weights in a slinkie were working best, blue sacs were normal size I tied them with 8 to 10 eggs in a sack. The water is definitely getting clearer, and I think bye monday they may drop it to 1000, although I will say its very nice to not see people standing in the middle of the river, did see one guy cross below the bovines, his last three steps were almost his last. As I was going by him in amazement of such a stupid feet, he was grabbing a sapling from shore and yanking himself up the bank, he looked to be 140lbs or so and were he started to cross was about 30 yards up from were he was able to grab the bank. Never would I atempt that and im about 180lbs, never even got my knees wet and was on the water from 430am till 330pm.good luck retired guy.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/10 07:59:23 (permalink)
    Really appreciate the tips.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/10 08:17:46 (permalink)
    On a side note---hard frost here this am(17mi S)---the wind has been blowing pretty good the last few days and the leaf hatch is starting.If I'm throwing sacks this time of yr--I tend to stay away from the reds,oranges, and char(they are the same color as the leaves).   ;)

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/10 16:20:01 (permalink)
    Retired guy they are changing the release tonight at 8 to 1200, then at 8am down to 750 should be clear and very fishable for your week enjoy and much luck to ya.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/10 18:09:33 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips avice and info. I need all I can get. I have long felt that is the fishing-not the fish -but now and then we all need a good day.
     Good luck to all on the changing conditions
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/11 06:52:11 (permalink)
    good luck retired and everybody else. i just got back from a weekend trip. no fishing... just working... i wouldn't of fished anyway even if i had the chance. i looked up from the altmar bridge and saw maybe out 100 quote on quote flyfishermen; and maybe 1 if that was actually able to fly cast. i don't see why people flock this time of year. even if there are a lot of fish, i can't handle the crowds... retired ; you probably will find some peace of water if you're up during the week. good luck...

p.s. one thing i was glad to see is that the stretch right above the altmar bridge is finally back to the way it was about 15 years ago... looking forward to the late fall and winter... i'm sure there are going to be some nice new winter lies here and there. it should be fun experimenting the new water once the crowds die down...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/11 07:35:13 (permalink)
    Hey Dime, Thanks for the "good luck".
       I did a lot of walking around up top instead of fishing the high and muddy last week and was very surprised at how little things actually changed after the big water. I thought it would have been a very new river to fish but that didnt seem to be the case.
      That being said I'm sure that a lot of areas are not going to be quite the same but in general it seemed very familiar.
      I can identify with the need to go up and work on "the place" instead of fishing-but sometimes that has its own rewards.
    ssgt12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/11 08:29:24 (permalink)
    thanks for the info i am heading up tonite for the week hope to hit some steeles and browns any info it the river change around the ballpark and a little below area my knees cant take the long walks anymore easy access to these areas for me
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/11 08:32:20 (permalink)
    If you want to see a change due to the high water take a walk down the trail from the parking lot on the UFZ,that is change you can believe in!
    I bet there will be a few puzzled looks when people look at that,like now what.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/11 09:11:36 (permalink)
    all and all things look almost the same on the surface, but wait until the water comes down. and then wait until this years spring flood... there are rocks that used to be there that are gone now and i mean huge rocks, and then new ones that are present. like i said though, i am happy to see the pool above the altmar bridge back to what it was 15 years ago with the deep lie being pushed back to opposite side from the parking lot.maybe now the staple steelhead crowd that locks that spot up won't just be hooking the same 5 tired fish all day long in the flat shallow water in the tail out. you'll now see fish holding in the deep lie along the rock pile of the opposite bank. it'll make for some great high stick nymphing with a nymph or egg pattern... for the ballpark i took a quick look. with the high water even, it looked like similar pockets were with in the same proximity, but they have definmitely shifted. i wouldn't count on your same old rocks that you used to. good luck...
    ssgt12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/11 09:53:35 (permalink)
    thanks well let you know what happens when i get back. might take a trip to the grind to see whats up over there
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 6 and 7 2010/10/11 15:46:49 (permalink)
    Hey Palfisher,
       If I remember right from when they first opened the upper Fly zone ( i only went once and dont recall the release flow)) it was like a long very fast piece of water with a bend to the North downstream. I watched a few guys hook up and loose fish to the very fast water and decided it wasnt for me-didnt look like fun trying to play the current instead of the fish.
       If I recall correctly I read that they actually went in with heavy equipment several years later and changed it around. Maybe Im nuts ( I have heard that before) but thats what I seem to recall. If so I hope they improve conditions for the guys again.
    Jump to: