This rain!

Author
countryfisher
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 168
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/05 18:09:40 (permalink)

This rain!

Should definitely bring a big run of mupeers! haha no seriously this is the perfect time for such a rainy few days to bring the fish in and move them up a little. Im betting most of the burgers that have been waiting for "the run" will be up this weekend. No problem I suppose, theres good folks that travel to come here and some that arent so classy, just as theres a mix of locals.
How far up have people fished elk so far?

28 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6360
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/05 18:14:18 (permalink)
    Now there's a defining question. Fished? or Caught anything? I would imagine that those who have caught anything way upstream will swear there are no fish above rt 5. But I also know some fish have already made it to Pittsburg. So the operative question is: How far up do you want to fish? And can you catch fish in skinny water?

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/05 18:35:12 (permalink)
    im 1 hour south of pittsburgh and there been a few down this way already.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/05 18:47:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: solitario lupo

ORIGINAL: akitadog

im 1 hour south of pittsburgh and there been a few down this way already.

sure thier not stocked rainbows that have been living in there for awhile

naw dude
    there are steelhead in loyalhana lake

wahl.flies
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/05 18:48:58 (permalink)
    My Brothers and I will be making the trip this Sunday. Going to fish Walnut then maybe Elk.

Good luck
    HereLilFishy
    Avid Angler
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/05 19:14:26 (permalink)
    If there is steelhead in westmoreland county then im staying home this weekend instead of driveing to erie.
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/05 19:18:46 (permalink)
    Countryfisher, You are from Mercer County, you just might be a Mupeer! Definately not a local!

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/05 19:26:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: solitario lupo

i like to know how some fish make it to pittsburgh.. just curious

I know of 4 that made it to WV!!!
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/05 19:28:33 (permalink)
    Jeez, just making conversation... I live in lake city less than a mile south of 5, I have seen a guy or two at elk park rd. Just curious if anybody broke away from the crowd to search. I just took a look at it this evening, I bet theres fish in there now.

cliff notes of this post:
    I do not need anybody to tell me where to fish
    The operative question being how stuck up are you?
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/05 19:30:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Split Shot

Countryfisher, You are from Mercer County, you just might be a Mupeer! Definately not a local!

I am FROM Mercer County yes. Lived in Edinboro/Girard/Lake City for many years now.
    tribster
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/05 19:39:36 (permalink)
    I have been waiting for this rain since May when the Steelhead left the tribs. With the steelhead having a break from falling splitshot it is a great start for the fall season.

GET THE DRIFT
    silverman31
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/05 20:00:32 (permalink)
    Im comin up from the burgh and bringin my snagging hooks and 10lb of lead to boot, oh and I forgot to mention my bad****burgh attitude to boot. 

Were comin to take your fish you locals or locos!!!!

silverman31
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/05 20:15:36 (permalink)

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/05 20:19:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: HereLilFishy

If there is steelhead in westmoreland county then im staying home this weekend instead of driveing to erie.

I know for a fact that at least two made it to Westmoreland county, with at least one turning east and making it as far as Adams county.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/05 23:29:29 (permalink)
    I've seen fish far mup as my frezzer...a big mess of em'.

I got invited to a party......Whats a "bi week"? Is that like a weirdo party for athletes?

Go Stillers!

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/06 05:53:43 (permalink)
    Funny how conditions can change so quickly. It was starting to look like it might be one of those dry, low water, Octobers where the fish haven't had a chance to really come in and move upstream and spread out.What a difference a few well timed upper level low pressure systems can make!
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/06 06:29:57 (permalink)
    im sure theres gonna be quite a few more this far south by the end of the weekend.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/06 07:07:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

I've seen fish far mup as my frezzer...a big mess of em'.

I got invited to a party......Whats a "bi week"? Is that like a weirdo party for athletes?

Go Stillers!

No no no, BYE week...as in "Bye, honey, I'm going fishing. See you monday."
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/06 09:10:26 (permalink)
    We welcome all the folks who travel up I 79 to fish here.  The more the merrier.  I am sure the motels, restaurants, bait and tackle shops, local deli's, etc... are more than happy to see all the shining faces of the eager steelheaders wearing their black and gold gear.  It is money in the bank.  After all this fishery would not exist if it was not a money maker for the local economy. 

So let it rain.  It is a win win situation for everyone.  More rain, more fish, more fisherman, more money into the local economy.  The folks who come to fish have a good time, the local business people are happy and the locals will enjoy watching the insanity we like to call steelhead season...  It is really pretty entertaining to watch a bunch of grown men and a few women absolutely loose their minds when they get a fishing rod in their hand and see a school of big fish swimming in a small stream.  Kinda like watching the grizz up in Alaska fishing for salmon.  May be the folks at Wild America could do a documentary on the fishing behavior of the steelheaders, Homo sapien pittsburghiensis, that subspecies of humans that are attracted to the large run of fish in Walnut and Elk creeks.

Honestly all kidding aside, everyone have a safe and fun time when you come up.  Enjoy the streams and fish and please remember to be nice to the rest of those fishing around you. 

Also, just to remind everyone, these streams are small and the water levels can go up VERY QUICKLY when we have had a lot of rain so ALWAYS have a safe route off the water.  That tiny little stream can turn into a rushing river in a short time.  No fish is worth risking your life.

pax vobiscum +
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/06 09:24:01 (permalink)
    Nice post, Bug. I can hear the documentary narrator in my mind...

"Here, we have a group of the Yinzer subspecies, having made their yearly fall migration north in search of their favorite quarry, the steelhead. This migration triggers unusual behavior among the Yinzers, making some of them fiercely territorial. Biologists still are not sure what triggers their migration, but most agree that it is some combination of the changing of the day/night cycle, falling temperatures, and increasing rain in the fall. While some of these Yinzer-humans migrate as early as September, the bulk of the herd won't arrive until mid-October most years. Fascinating creatures!"
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/06 10:26:23 (permalink)
    Cold,

That sounds about right.  They can usually be identified by the black and gold clothing, steeliers stickers on their vehicles, the very distinct manner of speech and the PowerBait stains on their neoprene waders....

The locals, Homo sapien erieniensis, are a bit more subtle creature.  They typically can be identified by their love of Smith's hotdogs, belief that a day at the beach means a day at Presque Isle and usually drive 4 wheel or all wheel drive vehicles to deal with the huge amounts of snow in the winter.  When it comes to football team loyalty, the group is quite a bit more diverse than the Homo sapien pittsburghiensis.  You can find them in orange and brown, black and gold and red, white and blue.  There are a few rare members of the group that will be in green and white.  They tend to keep to themselves and can be heard emitting low sighs of, "What happened to the good ole days before the internet screwed up our fishing?" 

The most engimatic group to wander north in the fall in search of the steelhead are the Homo sapien hillbilliensis.  They come from the hills and hollers of PA and OH.  They often are seen walking the creeks in their hunting clothes and are sometimes heard listening to their indigenous mountain music.  Their simple manner of speech and often gentle nature endears them to the locals.  Of course, there are a few rouge members of this subspecies that behave similar to the locals in the movie "Deliverance".  These are fiercest of the migrants and the most to be avoided. 

The last and most dreaded of fall migrants are the Homo sapien orvisiensis.  These are the olive clad group who have the the stench of I am better than you, and tend to feel that the streams should be cleared of all people who do not make at least 6 figure incomes and do not fish with high end Orvis equipment.  They can be extremely rude and often seen accompanied by a guide.  They don't like to mingle with the rest of the fisherman and seek out solitude so as to heighten their already pampered trip to the tribs.  They are best avoided and left to live in their own self absorbed world.

Disclaimer - all these comments are in jest and meant to poke a little fun at those who come here.  If you have found them in the least offensive, I am sorry.  But I would say, if that is the case, you need to get a life....

pax vobiscum +
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/06 10:42:19 (permalink)
    Up ahead through the brush, we see a small knot of these migrants, intermingling at a watering hole. When subspecies of such variety are forced into close proximity by high concentrations of their mutual prey, conflict is bound to occur. Watch as a member of the hillbilliensis supspecies, with his often superior innate wilderness skill manages to hook a fish. Using his skills of sneakiness and scavenging developed during long hours as a businessman, a Homo sapien orvisiensis moves into position as the former angler follows his catch downstream. When he returns, he will find his position at the waterhole, identifiable by its telltale red octagon, has now become occupied by a competitor. There will be no more fishing for the hillbilliensis here, and as he makes his way upstream, he will have to search for another waterhole, or he will not survive. Such is life in this grueling wasteland.
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/06 10:47:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bughawk
    Also, just to remind everyone, these streams are small and the water levels can go up VERY QUICKLY when we have had a lot of rain so ALWAYS have a safe route off the water.  That tiny little stream can turn into a rushing river in a short time.  No fish is worth risking your life.

I got caught last year on the wrong side of Elk. You could actually see the water rising. Went up over a foot in less than ten minutes. It was almost a disaster when I tried to cross the water when it was raging. That won't happen again, thats for sure. Thank God for my buddy Bill and the huge stick he used to help me steady myself when I got caught in the middle of the raging water.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/06 10:55:48 (permalink)
    It is a cold and cruel world along the streams of NWPA.  The often territorial nature of some of the steelheaders can make for difficult and frustrating fishing.  The good news it that there are a few extremely good hearted people who sponsor outstanding events like the One Fly that seem to help melt away the hard heartedness of even the most difficult of the subspecies.

pax vobiscum +
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/06 11:00:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: smallhook
    I got caught last year on the wrong side of Elk. You could actually see the water rising. Went up over a foot in less than ten minutes. It was almost a disaster when I tried to cross the water when it was raging. That won't happen again, thats for sure. Thank God for my buddy Bill and the huge stick he used to help me steady myself when I got caught in the middle of the raging water.

Absolutely true. Last year, also got caught on the wrong side of Elk, had to beat some brush and take the scenic route downstream (through the woods), possibly trespassing, to get back to a place we could cross. I hated to do it, but there was no way I could cross back over the way I came.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/06 11:13:13 (permalink)
    smallhook I had a similar thing happen to me a few years back on Walnut.  I had crossed the creek and was standing on a small island where I put minnow bucket.  Before I knew it the minnow bucket was floating away down stream and I was trapped up against a rather high and steep cliff.  I managed to find a spot to climb out, but it was very difficult because I was wearing felt bottomed waders.  Needless to say it was quite tense for awhile.

pax vobiscum +
    FisherChic
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/06 11:17:42 (permalink)
    aw Bughawk, I have missed your posts 

I am of the Homo sapien hillbilliensis species, except I don't hunt, these are my fishing clothes. shhh some of it is camo... and not of the deliverance type, so it's all good lol
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/06 11:52:35 (permalink)
    Hi FisherChic.  Glad to hear you are a friendly member of the hillbilliensis subspecies.  As previously mentioned this group has endeared itself with the local subspecies, erieniensis.  Good luck when  you come up to fish and watch out for the rouge fishermen/women. 

pax vobiscum +
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: This rain! 2010/10/06 12:47:02 (permalink)
    I forgot to mention there is a totally different species of creatures lurking along the tribs.  It is Homo unsapiens dumbassiensis.  Do try to approach these creatures.  They usually do not want to or are able to communicate in anything other than grunts or growls.  They have been known to snag fish, take more than their daily limit, walk up the middle of the stream, steal a person's fishing spot and refuse to move, shine their head lamps in your eyes, use foul language, and at times threaten others with violence.  I can not emphasize enough the fact that this species are usually predictably stupid, but they can be unpredictably dangerous.  If you must approach these individuals do so with extreme caution. 

pax vobiscum +
    Jump to: