tackle info request

Author
knoxyakfisher
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/04 15:56:21 (permalink)

tackle info request

Just looking for some tackle advice before my trip. I purchased a salmon/steelhead spinning rod/reel combo from the fishusa site (Eagle Claw Granger GRX 8'6" rod with an Okuma Safina Pro SPa-50 reel). Looks like a decent outfit for the money.

The reel holds 300 yds of 12lb test line. Just wondering if that will be heavy enough to land a salmon should I be fortunate to hook up with one. Looking at getting the P-Line Floroclear line from basspro. It's a flourocarbon line so thought it might help get more hits and the line has great reviews. I can get it in a 15lb test as well and guess that the spool would probably hold 200-250 yds of 15lb test.

Would the 12lb be strong enough or should I go with 15lb but lose some yardage on the spool? Don't want to break off a fish, but don't want to get spooled either. Will probably fish some of the other creeks besides the Salmon River if that makes any difference.

Any bait suggestions? I live in Knoxville and fish the Clinch river for trout down here. Have found nightcrawlers to be most effective bait here. If they won't hit them, they won't hit much of anything. I suppose the crawlers would work for steelies, but not sure about the salmon.

Finally, my buddy I'm staying with has a fish cabin on North Sandy Pond (he lives in Knoxville too, but goes up a couple months per yr). Planning on bringing my kayak up and fishing the pond a little as well. Just wondered if that would be a worthwhile endeavor and what to expect to catch in the pond this time of year. Any fishing suggestions for the pond would be appreciated as well. Went up in March and we did some pike fishing, but I was about a week too late for the really good action. Still a great trip though. Fished the Salmon in a few spots as well. Nice river.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!

19 Replies Related Threads

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/04 16:12:30 (permalink)
    12lb mainline will work fine. I would not change brand new line on a brand new reel.

No need to spool the reel entirely with fluoro, but it would be good idea to use a small length of weaker strength fluoro as a leader/tippet, separated from the stronger mainline by a barrel swivel or knot for if/when you do break off a fish or snag (leaves a lot less line in the river).

Remember, in the Sr - Regs dictate no weight greater then 48" from the hook.

Eggsacks, various flies, and yes - even small chunks of sponge work well on the mudsharks.

Eggsacks, nightcrawlers, various flies work well on browns & steelies - even them Berkley bubble gum colored rubber worms have been known to work

Sandy Pond - bass,pike,perch, among others, I'd strap the yak if I was you.

Good luck..
    knoxyakfisher
    New Angler
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/04 17:25:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info and quick reply. The reel comes bare, so I will need to spool it. The P-line is not 100% flouro so it isn't as expensive (600yds for $15.00). Good point though about using a weaker test line as a leader. Would 10lb line for the leader be strong enough? Will prob just spool the reel with the 12lb P-line as it has good reviews for the line, if the 10lb would work as leader. Will just buy a small spool of 10lb and be able to make plenty of leaders from it. Also it is acceptable to drop a short line from the barrel swivel and add splitshot to that isn't it? (as long as it doesn't hang below the hook is my understanding) Just think that way the weight would break off or slip off if hung in the rocks without losing the rest of the rig.

One other question: concerning the yak. You said, "I'd strap the yak if I was you". Did you mean "scrap"? If not, what do you mean by "strap the yak"? Nothing registering with my brain on that at the moment.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/04 17:51:14 (permalink)
    Depending on water level, flow,clarity, fish species targeted,   your leader choice could be anywhere from 10 down to 4lb test. Happy medium in most cases is 6 or 8. Nothing etched in stone.

Easiest way to hang some weight from your barrel swivel is just leave a tag end hanging a few inches when you tie on your weaker strength leader and attach the weight to it.. some guys tie a single overhand knot at the bottom of the tag so the weights will pull off when yanked, yet not slip off too easily when cast or slightly hung up on bottom.

I did mean strap the yak - like to the top of your vehicle.. Sorry for confusing you.

Go get em...

waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/04 18:50:33 (permalink)
    What does it say on the rod blank just above the handle for line test?
    knoxyakfisher
    New Angler
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/04 19:09:12 (permalink)
    Rod is rated for 10-20lb line. Here's the link to the setup : http://www.fishusa.com/Eagle-Claw-Granger-GRXOkuma-Safina-Pro-SalmonSteelhead-Combos_p.html?source=googleps I got the 8'6" rod and the SPa-50 reel.

Thanks for the rigging tips drake. I'll probably go with 8lb then for the leader. And yeah, I'm easily confused. Got a homemade rack to strap the yaks to, so good on that. Looking forward to hookin up with some of the big fish my buddy's been talkin about.

Probably head up this weekend if the weather reports look good for next week. Otherwise will be up following weekend. Staying for 7 days either way, so should be able to locate some fish.

JOE PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/04 19:32:24 (permalink)
    Good advise.  If you want the chance to catch steelhead or browns, then you should rig for trout, as mentioned above.6-8# leader probably, depending on the water conditions.  You are not going to stop a king, at least not a fairly fresh one, with anything less than 20# test or more.  Sometimes they decide to play nice and stay in the same hole you are fishing, sometimes you can follow them downstream.  If a decent sized, fresh king wants to go, and you can't follow it, just break it off and try for the next one.  If you fish a rig that can better handle a king, it will be hard to get the trout to take.  Your rod is similar to the one I usually use.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/04 19:48:42 (permalink)
    Your set up is in line.. I have no experience in that equipment quality and I'm sure fish will let you know pretty quick..
    As for mainline,, 12 is perfect.. Your idea of tag, swivel will also work fine. I would suggest 12# tippet material for salmon and If water levels drop to 750 or less then 10# tippet material for trout & salmon.. No need to go any less for either in the fall..

Hope to see some happy faces when you return !!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/05 00:28:41 (permalink)
    I use 10 lb in the winter and spring for steel but cant seem to stop breaking it on Kings. I'm up to 15 or even 17 the rare times I go back to a spinning rod for the big guys.
    cal200
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/05 00:53:00 (permalink)
    I use 17# berkley xt. it works well for me

happiness is fishing!
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/05 03:11:52 (permalink)
    Rod maker is telling you that its tip is not designed to protect anything less than 10 pound test. That will be in your hands.
    knoxyakfisher
    New Angler
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/05 09:06:24 (permalink)
    Ok guys, after many hours researching line options last night - my head still hurts - I think I've decided on a plan. Think I'm gonna go with Tectan for the main line. Found it on the fishusa site. There were some negative reviews (on fishusa and Cabella's site), but they were all from late '07 to early '08 - may have had manufacturing issues during that time frame??? The reviews from early '09 on were all 100% positive. Amazingly low diameter and low vis to boot. I plan on getting the 18.9lb test for the main line - it has same diameter as typical 12lb mono (and smaller than the 8lb Berkley XT)! This will give me an adequate strength line without going too big (diameter size) for a spinning outfit. I then plan to use 15lb test flouro for leaders. Hopefully, the low vis will help with that lb test. I definitely want to land a few kings if possible, so I'm hoping this setup will give me the best chance. I can then step down to a smaller flouro leader if the trout don't hit well. Anyone have any experience with the Tectan line? If not, I'll report on it when I return.

One final question; I forgot to ask about hooks earlier. I know about the 1/2" gap reg, but just wondering what brand/style/size hook would you guys recommend and do I need different hooks for targeting kings and trout?

Thanks again for all the good advice and tips. Much appreciated!

longknife
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/05 10:02:47 (permalink)
    For Salmon I have had good luck with size 6 and 8.  For steelhead size 10 and 12.  I mostly use flies tied on the scud style hooks. 
    dewey123
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/05 10:13:34 (permalink)
    I use 14lb suffix seige on my spinning and 17lb on my fly rod. Straight to the hook for salmon no leaders. In a month I will go bck to my centerpin 8lb mainline to 5 lb leader and my ultra light noodle rod with 8lb florocarbon. I use size 4 hooks for salmon and 14 for steelhead. Just my preference dont like breaking off too many fish.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/05 17:33:13 (permalink)
    #2 4 6 . I fish bigger stuff. It don't sneak up on any of them. Salmon or steel when they are aggressive, and thats the ones I'm after, they take big stuff greadily.
    I would go the 15-12 or 10 # test route myself.

Tell us how that thinner diameter holds up to abrasions.
    Best of luck
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/05 18:52:30 (permalink)
    seems like you have done research and come up with a plan.. recommendations are good and helpful. In the end it will come down to preference. I have not spin fished for salmon in many years as fly fishing salmon has become preference but once water temps hit the 30's I'll pick up a spin rod in preference for trout..

Since you are speaking of Salmon & you want to land salmon (as you should), again your plan of tackle is very good if the equipment holds up to expectations.. I have no experience with thin diameter lines other then tippet material.. 18 # may work well for you and please report.. A standard diameter line in 18# would not work well for my liking.. My choice of line in normal diameter mono has been Berkeley xt clear 12#.. due to good strength, good visibility (clear not green) , good abrasion resistant & smaller diameter for smooth casting and reel capacity... For steelhead on a spin I use 10# same brand..
    Of this set up for Salmon, I would also run 12# tippet material (not spool line) .. & downsize to 10# if levels & fish dictate. For salmon I use maxima ultra green... For Steelhead I use frog hair..

My only suggestion would be, If your line sucks , then strip it off and re spool ..

As for hook size... a #6 or #4 is about right for most situations (bait or flies) .. If you want to try for trout the above will also work but on my fly rod I may switch to a single egg or sucker spawn from #6 or #8

fall fish are generally not line shy or picky so don't worry about getting small..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    knoxyakfisher
    New Angler
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/05 19:37:21 (permalink)
    Again guys, thanks for all the great feedback! Gives me some things to think about and consider.

I will definitely report on the Tectan line when I return. The big attraction was getting 18.9lb line at a 12lb line diameter. I would think that the line would hold up to abrasion at least as well as 12lb line anyway. The reviews for the line were all very positive, so we'll see (check them out on the fishusa.com online store site). I plan on fishing for the full 7 days, so if the line doesn't meet expectations on day one, I'll have something else spooled up for day two - perhaps one of the suggestions above. My hope is the line will be great as advertised, since I plan on using the 3 or 5 lb test on my ultralight rigs I use here on the Clinch for trout. The water is really clear and I think this smaller diameter line could be a great benefit - especially in the quest for some of the larger/smarter 20"+ fish. Again, I'll report once I know something.

Counting the days down. Will hopefully have some pics of some nice fish to post upon my return.

Thanks again guys for all the suggestions and tips. If you think of anything else that might be helpful, pass it along. It would be appreciated.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/06 01:19:43 (permalink)
    Bring plenty of hooks. The river rocks are hungry.

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/06 10:34:04 (permalink)
    Wader had a great point with line class rating printed on rod. Just some food for thought here. I ha ve a 13 ft. G loomis spinning rod that is rated for 6-10 lb line. But I have gone down to 3 lb. At times and have handled fish just fine. So experiment to find what works best for you. Printed line class rating isn't always exact.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: tackle info request 2010/10/06 11:52:41 (permalink)
    For kings this year 12 lb. Would be a bigger help than 10 lb. For tippet. Good luck
    Jump to: