Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
BIGHEAD
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 670
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/03 06:32:50 (permalink)

First day results

Hunted in a blind in the morning . Had two fawns walk right beside the blind brushing up against it and stood right in front for me totally broadside @ 6 yards. I could have kabobbed them both them LOL then a shooter 8 point came in and eat his was through some brush and not giving a shot.Afternoon hunted a farm seen 6 doe all small,3 bucks 1 dinky 4 point,1 spike which were about 10-12 inches long and either a 6 or 8 could not seen any brows. The 6-8 beat the snot out of the spike for a 1/2 hour or so was fun to watch. Seen no hunters in the morning and one coming out after dark. he said he seen quite a few doe and a couple smaller bucks 1 shooter but to far I guess. Total deer seen 12 GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE Dave

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT

31 Replies Related Threads

Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: First day results 2010/10/03 10:42:20 (permalink)
    Zip, zero, zilch, nada.  Double goose eggs for me on opening day. Went to my back-up morning stand due to wind and struck out there.  Wasn't too worried b/c it's not typically good in the early season unless there are lots of apples, which there are not.  Hit my oak stand for the evening sit.  Swirling wind didn't help.  The few acorns that were around when I put it up are now gone.  Didn't hear any hitting the ground.  Time to move that stand.  Didn't bust any going in or out.  Cameras were full of new pics.  Just weren't around yesterday I guess.  Won't get to go out again until mid-Oct, so this day kinda bumming me out.

Highlight of the day was watching, and this is no lie, between 7 and 10 grey squirrels working a large hickory tree out in the middle of a cut field.  Fella with a .22 could have had a great time, but will have to wait until the season.
    Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: First day results 2010/10/03 10:45:22 (permalink)
    Saw 14 doe in the morning 2 more doe in the evening. Also saw a guy who only had a nock on one of the three arrows in his quiver?
    Dan0348
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: First day results 2010/10/03 12:10:09 (permalink)
    Didn't even get out.........

Lets Go Pen's!
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: First day results 2010/10/03 12:12:29 (permalink)
    It was a suprisingly tough day for me. The winds were great, the temperature was great, my stands have absurd amounts of signs around them, and I only saw 2 deer early in the am.

There are LOTS of white oaks in my area and my thoughts are that with the amount of food out there the deer do not need to move much beyond there beds to fill there stomaches up with acorns. I am going to get some cameras up in some areas a little closer to their beds and hopefully figure out the pieces of the puzzle. I have been getting lots of pictures, however very few of them are daylight photos.
    Martin Shooter
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: First day results 2010/10/03 13:07:10 (permalink)
    got into a shuffle with at least 8 coyotes in the evening.. i lip squeaked 5 to within 50 yds but they wouldnt come any closer..they were snarling, growling, barking, howling the whole 9 yards from 4 o'clock until 6 all around me so i said screw it and left...one followed me down to my buddies tree and and started goin crazy once again at us..they wouldnt leave us, yet wouldnt come close enough to be killed..their coats were surprisingly pretty for this time of year..
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: First day results 2010/10/03 16:15:32 (permalink)
    9 hours on stand an not one deer sighted.I checked 3 cameras after i was done hunting in the morning.The spot i was hunting had the most active but all between 1 and 3 o clock in the afternoon.I hunted the whites in the evening no deer there either.I will try this spot again next saturday.A buddy of mine shot a 17 and half inside 8 point in the evening.
    post edited by chicken27 - 2010/10/03 16:18:24
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: First day results 2010/10/03 17:17:28 (permalink)
    Got on stand at 5:30. Beautiful day, no wind. But the deer didn't cooperate. I only saw one and that was ten minutes from my house near the beginning of the 70 mile drive to where I hunt. I got down around 10 AM, scouted around for a place to put a new stand (didnt find a place), went back to my truck and BSed with the land owner for a while. In the afternoon, I scouted some property near home that I just got permission to hunt. The day was beautiful....I guess the deer didn't think so.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: First day results 2010/10/04 09:27:41 (permalink)
    I dropped my carabiner that attaches my harness to the strap while walking to the stand in the dark on saturday morning. I backtracked and looked for it, but didn't find it. Decided not to climb up without it. Rather than messing up that spot by hunting it from the ground, I went home, tied a few flies and hit the creek in the morning.

Hunted from a blind in the evening. Watched two red foxes playing for a while. Didn't see a deer, but I could hear some in the cornfield next to me.

On another note, I've never seen as many acorns in my life, as I've seen this year. The deer aren't gonna have to move far to get their fill.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: First day results 2010/10/04 09:36:45 (permalink)
    Missed the opener this year. First time in a looonnggg time. Should make it out several times this week for evening hunts.

My rifle is a black rifle
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: First day results 2010/10/04 10:05:08 (permalink)
    Didn't see a deer...Saw a lot of raindrops...Some turkeys, that was it..

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: First day results 2010/10/04 10:10:20 (permalink)
    claypool...

not so sure I'd be in a hurry to move that tree stand just because the deer (I'm guessing) ate all the acorns that fell since you put the stand up.... that could be a good thing, unless the tree has no more acorns to drop... most of the trees around here still have plenty to fall... acorns are what I'll be focusing on in a couple weeks...

check the oaks out with binoculars before moving ... you know something is feeding in the area...

just my opinion....
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: First day results 2010/10/04 10:24:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: thedrake

On another note, I've never seen as many acorns in my life, as I've seen this year. The deer aren't gonna have to move far to get their fill.

That is my theory as well. Usually, one hill will be producing more acorns than the next hill and so on. This year it seems as if every mature white oak we have on the property is producing very well. Given the huge amount of them we have, movement probably won't be great here for a few weeks.

Judging by the reports here I no longer feel like my first day was a total failure.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: First day results 2010/10/04 12:30:00 (permalink)
    First time I've missed the first day in 22 years.....Went Steelhead fishin..

Did go check my last camera out and a couple stands...
    Stands were good camera was gone....You would think it would be safe in the middle of 150 posted acres of land..Nothin I hate more than a thief...What really sucks is I lost 2 months of pics on that chip...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: First day results 2010/10/04 12:43:39 (permalink)
    That does stink.  Nothing fumes me more than to have stuff stolen like that. 

I do agree that mast in these parts seems to be exceptional this year.  When I pulled my cameras last week, acorns everywhere. 
    post edited by dpms - 2010/10/04 12:44:56

My rifle is a black rifle
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: First day results 2010/10/04 14:22:32 (permalink)
    You should see them dropping in the Erie tribs..
    Almost like there are a bunch of kids up on the bank throwing rocks at you...
    Bottom is completelt littered with acorns and is actually a little sketchy to wade on a bed of acorns...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: First day results 2010/10/04 15:14:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

ORIGINAL: thedrake

That is my theory as well. Usually, one hill will be producing more acorns than the next hill and so on. This year it seems as if every mature white oak we have on the property is producing very well. Given the huge amount of them we have, movement probably won't be great here for a few weeks.

Judging by the reports here I no longer feel like my first day was a total failure.

I agree with this too. There is an apple tree across the road from my place and usually you might see one or two apples on the ground before the deer clean em up. Now, there's a whole bunch, some of which are rotting. I figure the deer must be drawn to another food source.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: First day results 2010/10/04 15:16:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

First time I've missed the first day in 22 years.....Went Steelhead fishin..

Did go check my last camera out and a couple stands...
    Stands were good camera was gone....You would think it would be safe in the middle of 150 posted acres of land..Nothin I hate more than a thief...What really sucks is I lost 2 months of pics on that chip...

Keep an eye on the place. If you had some pictures of really nice bucks, maybe the thief will return to try hunting there. Heck, if he'll steal another guys stuff, he wont think anything of hunting on posted ground. Did you speak with the landowner? Maybe he knows something.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: First day results 2010/10/04 15:44:32 (permalink)
    Right now there is too much food in the woods. I hunted an apple orchard in the woods this morning and heard at least 3 dozen apples fall to the ground to join the 1-2,000 already there. I am setting a stand tomorrow near a half dozen oak trees that have covered the ground with acorns. It will take the rut to get the deer moving very much at all.
    CrossForkWookie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: First day results 2010/10/04 16:51:25 (permalink)
    With the acorn crop the way it is this year, next year should be exceptional for racks.

Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: First day results 2010/10/04 18:32:15 (permalink)
    how would you figure that? they need good food when they are growing the horns. not after they are grown, all i can see good from it they should be healthy, but who knows what the winter will bring.

hey bings...how about...we have stands in ohio, locked up. go there this year last sunday..found them gone, went across the other side of the feild(500 yards max) to find them set up there. so i stole my own stand back...kinda strange. i had a camera stolen there last year too, i wouldnt put it past it for them to be the same ppl...but they wouldnt admit to it im sure..
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: First day results 2010/10/04 19:04:11 (permalink)
    Saw some does in the morning.  No bucks though.  Friend hunting the same farm saw 4 bucks, ranging from a spike to a 15 inch 8-pt.  Not one he wanted on opening day.  He hunted right where he had a trail cam picture of a really really nice buck, but he has been MIA for the last 2 weeks.  It is in a strip of young thick woods between a corn field and a extremely thick brush field.

I hunted the upper fringe of a red oak woods with a lot of hog backs in it.  Above be it turned to serious thicket, and above that, is the corn field.  Beside it is a brush field.  I figure I was in a high traffic area, but it is kind of close to the road(about 200 yards.)  I figured maybe that was where the big one was hiding out now, but, I think he entering the corn from the far end of the field.  I've been thinking about it, and he is probably near a water source during the day.

side note...

Fell asleep and sunned myself like some dammed lizard in the climber for about an 2 hours in the morning(got a combined 5 hours sleep the previous two nights, so what did I expect)

startinout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 342
    RE: First day results 2010/10/04 20:11:13 (permalink)

Not my best buck, but definitely has some character.  Perfect hunt Saturday, didn't have to track it because it died in the middle of the cut field within 40 yards of my stand and didn't have to drag it because the gracious farmer picked it up with the tractor and drove it back to my truck.  Was a big deer.  We got 75 pounds of meat from it.
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: First day results 2010/10/04 20:33:10 (permalink)
    unique on for sure man congrats.
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: First day results 2010/10/04 20:51:50 (permalink)
    Cool buck.  Nice job.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: First day results 2010/10/05 08:50:13 (permalink)
    Had 13 sightings of does/fawns in the AM (think it was 3 diff. moms and 6 little ones, some seen at diff. times).  Active morning until 8:45 am.  Some numbnut came into the property after me (may have permission, but I don't know) and was set-up in a ground blind smashing antlers together for a good bit of the morning.  A little early for that, I think.  In the afternoon, no trucks parked so I thought I was good.  Get to the top of the hill and on the far edge of the field and get a whistle.  A guy is up 10' in a climber and he parked at the neighbors and he said he didn't have permission to be there, yet.  I am not the landowner so I just tell him he should contact the landowner and good luck that evening.  He was set up 40 yds up the hill from where my morning set was.  I go to my ladder stand I set earlier in the year and within 20 min., have a button buck within 5 yds munchin' on acorns. 

But, 10 min. later, I hear voices, then yelling, then people trouncing through the woods.  The neighbors boy was hunting on the bottom edge of this property, most likely without permission, and hit a buck that he said had at least 5 on one side.  Only a few drops of blood and no arrow found and he thinks he gut shot it.  Bad thing was, he said it was hit at 4:30pm and they were on its trail at 5:30pm.  If it was gut shot it was probably chased into a diff. twp.  Hopefully they find it or the deer survives.  I stuck it out for 25 min. hoping they'd kick something my way but the 10 yr old with them hooping up a storm and the adults yelling back and forth cleared out the nearby thickets for sure.  The property I hunt on is only a little over 50 acres with some decent sized fields and they were moving through all the thick stuff on it.  I just told them I'd look for blood on my way out and said good luck.  Didn't see anything on my exit.  Still 1/2 hr light left so I packed it in and slowly drove down and around to the backside of the property and luckily, I didn't see any trucks there so I may have to hit that area in the near future.  One good note, on my mile drive around to get to the backside, I saw over 35 deer out in the two diff. fields on my way there.  There were about a dozen way back in a posted cut bean field, 5 or 6 along the road side in standing corn (almost whacked a little one cutting in front of me), and another 15 or more in a small green field not 20 yds off the road leading to my other spot in some guys front yd.  The doe and fawns had a banner crop this year, that is for sure. 
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: First day results 2010/10/05 09:25:13 (permalink)
    cool looking rack startinout

that sucks eyez, hopefully not a sign of things to come with that property. ever have any trouble before?
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: First day results 2010/10/06 06:22:34 (permalink)
    Hunted the farm Monday afternoon/evening. I had a flock of 6-7 turkey's all having beards they browsed around m stand for a hour. Seen total of 10 deer 8 does within 5-10 yards didn't shoot.2 Bucks 1 button and a 5 point. Man I must be getting OLD didn't hunt last night rain was coming down HARD @ 400 Pm LOL I really can not remember when weather has stopped me from hunting or fishing for that matter!!!!! I'll be in-stand this afternoon NO MATTER WHAT LOL I think I'll take a Doe today if giving a shot. But then again I tell my wife that evey time I go out. we'll see GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE Dave
    post edited by BIGHEAD - 2010/10/06 06:23:38

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: First day results 2010/10/06 11:39:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippecanoe

cool looking rack startinout

that sucks eyez, hopefully not a sign of things to come with that property. ever have any trouble before?

+1

Watch it Dave, because you're seeing lots of deer the PGC haters will start questioning you. 

No more reports from me.  I'm just hunting.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: First day results 2010/10/06 11:52:39 (permalink)
    Start following him is more like it. Sure glad I invested in some new raingear for this season. I've already got my moneys worth.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: