Lookin for some suggestions.

Author
Mags00
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 593
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/02 16:07:01 (permalink)

Lookin for some suggestions.

I've been fishing the Conemaugh River alot lately where there replacing the old clanky steel bridge just down stream from Tunnelton... Had a sad experience the one time I was there when I snapped my St. Croix rod that was just out of warranty (boo hoo =(...) And, was curious if anyone frequents there or would suggest baits... I've thrown texas worms... Some lures (no fish shaped ones) and throw weightless minnows or under a bobber about 9"-3'... I've come up with a few small bass, and I know there's nice large fish in there but honestly can't pull them out. Any info would be greatly appricated.

4 Replies Related Threads

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Lookin for some suggestions. 2010/10/02 16:47:24 (permalink)
    Have you ever trid the spillway of the dam? You have to walk over the hill inside the park near the ranger station, there is a access road to walk down if you are able.Very little fishing pressure & since the fish can not go upstream any farther, you may catch just about anything. When they are making power downstream it gets murky ,but the fish seem to hit better then. Minnows or shiners seem to work best from what I have heard. sam
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Lookin for some suggestions. 2010/10/02 16:50:20 (permalink)
    I've fished there and caught a few nice healthy smallies. And a friend of mine caught a 24" Northern down at the outflow as well. I also lost what looked to be a small pike there because it spit the hook... I just don't like walking down that hill... It's kinda like "Cardio" hill at Loyalhanna Dam. The fishing there is spectactular aswell just don't like the hill... Thanks for the info aswell.
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Lookin for some suggestions. 2010/10/03 18:06:08 (permalink)
    Last weekend, I fished below the dam from the dam to the canoe launch with little success. I probably should add I wore a new pair of shoes and wasn't able to wade at all. In hindsight, I should have thought a little harder.
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: Lookin for some suggestions. 2010/10/04 12:02:20 (permalink)
    I have caught most of my fish at the outflow area from a canoe. you can get to alot more fish is you can paddle up against the current.

This spring was my best out there yet, as far as species. Caught a few bass, a walleye, a sauger, lost a big pike/muskie (not sure), caught some catfish and had a good time. Haven't spent any time there since spring though...

I would like to organize a river float in the next few weeks if anyone is interested. the smallies should be hitting on the river.

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    Jump to: