first hand info

Author
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/01 11:44:48 (permalink)

first hand info

All first hand info here.the bridge in Pulaski has collapsed. There are fish swimming in altmar parking lots. The fly zone has a ripping current going through parking lot. 2 hrs ago the water was inches away frombottom of altmar bridge. I imagine it is rolling over it now.there are salmon in parking lots and cornfields. 200 ft feet from the 2a bridge there is water in the woods. We all be referring to this river as we knew it by saying before the flood of 2010. I will update and post pictures later. I wouldn't be surprised if we see 25000 cfs

14 Replies Related Threads

3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: first hand info 2010/10/01 11:54:01 (permalink)
    Dont think we will see 25000, usgs just reduced flows to 8000cfs release. Should start comeing down slowly if the rain doesnt return.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: first hand info 2010/10/01 12:24:23 (permalink)

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: first hand info 2010/10/01 12:33:14 (permalink)

Just got off the phone with a few guides and lodge owners along the river.

Many lodges/homes severely damaged along the river.

Yes it went up 25000 cfs early am , coming down by the hour now, all flood gates were wide open and dam overflowing.

The house along the Altmar bridge(fly zone) has the river flowing through its bedrooms

Beleive it or not a couple of guides have their customers hooking up all day today on backyard lawns and in the Pineville parking lot.

Yes, DB this will be remebered as a before and after, much, much damage and rerouting of the river. Army Corp. of Engineers in Pulaski seriously looking at trying to save the Short Bridge.

Yesterday at 3500, many fish were being hooked up, not landed.

Be safe, it's gona be a long clean-up.

OldSalt
    post edited by OldSalt - 2010/10/01 12:39:14
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: first hand info 2010/10/01 12:40:47 (permalink)
    Watched it all night, waiting for the ryder cup coverage to start at 230am, never saw it go past 19000 on the usgs flow charts. Its already down to 10,000 still alot of damage and along way to go before its safe to fish.
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: first hand info 2010/10/01 13:05:06 (permalink)
    WOW!!!
    That is all i can think to say.
    Hope everyone on both sides of the rivers survive with little or no damage to homes and property.
    FINLESSBROWN
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: first hand info 2010/10/01 15:28:21 (permalink)
    According to Pineville station, (downriver of Altmar) it got up to 17k cfs at 9:0 this morning. Thats the highest it's been. 

10/01/2010 09:00 EST
    17,000Let's not make a bad situation worse with crazy talk.

Duck the chuckers-
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: first hand info 2010/10/01 15:55:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

All first hand info here.the bridge in Pulaski has collapsed. There are fish swimming in altmar parking lots. The fly zone has a ripping current going through parking lot. 2 hrs ago the water was inches away frombottom of altmar bridge. I imagine it is rolling over it now.there are salmon in parking lots and cornfields. 200 ft feet from the 2a bridge there is water in the woods. We all be referring to this river as we knew it by saying before the flood of 2010. I will update and post pictures later. I wouldn't be surprised if we see 25000 cfs

Dime,don't know where you got that info on bridge 'cause it's still there.This is bad but they have seen worse up there,just don't wade above the knees.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: first hand info 2010/10/01 16:20:05 (permalink)
    We all be referring to this river as we knew it by saying before the flood of 2010

Still pre 90's..
    Floods suck .. Dams suck.. Shame .. I feel for the home & land owners..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: first hand info 2010/10/01 18:42:40 (permalink)
    false info on the bridge i guess...i do know they had it closed off far enough from either direction where nobody could even see it. when pineville recorded 17 or 18k, within the next hour the water rose about 2 -3 ft. in altmar... totally unbelievable. whether it crested at 25000 or 19000, i don't think it makes a difference. i do believe a second party should be introduced to reservoir monitoring. there is no reason this should of happened. 1. everyone knew how much the reservoir was holding. 2. everyone knew this storm was coming. i saw flood warnings for adirondacks 3-4 days ago. put it all together, someone should've released all of that water that the reservoir was holding starting a week ago. i'm just affraid to tghink of all the fish that will be stuck once the water recedes back to the actual river. i'd assume many natural spawners will be stuck... only time will tell.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: first hand info 2010/10/01 20:16:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pafisher

Dime,don't know where you got that info on bridge 'cause it's still there.This is bad but they have seen worse up there,just don't wade above the knees.

hey PA, the the wall collapsing must of spun in to rumors of bridge since they wouldn't let anyone near the area. heard from many locals who are mid to elder ages and most say they've never seen it this bad... on another note, where were you??? i was up monday night til thursday afternoon. did you ever stop by?
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: first hand info 2010/10/01 22:24:14 (permalink)
    dime,I stopped by on Sunday to say hello to your Dad or anyone,no one there.Did n't get back again.
    I "think" I'll be back Sunday to Friday,you going to be around?
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: first hand info 2010/10/02 00:33:05 (permalink)
    The wall below the town bridge collapsed - not the actual bridge.

It was already damaged from previous high water erosion and access was blocked via snowfence weeks before yesterday's flood event.

The folks that live along the river are very lucky that the west winds pushed that cold front in and forced the second half of the storm east - away from the SR watershed -another 4-5 inches of rain could have meant catestrophic loss of life and property..

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: first hand info 2010/10/02 07:39:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

The wall below the town bridge collapsed - not the actual bridge.

It was already damaged from previous high water erosion and access was blocked via snowfence weeks before yesterday's flood event.

The folks that live along the river are very lucky that the west winds pushed that cold front in and forced the second half of the storm east - away from the SR watershed -another 4-5 inches of rain could have meant catestrophic loss of life and property..

yes it was the wall, and yes it was already damged; damaged wall has been common knowledge for a long time now. they had rt. 11 closed off from both ends so far from the bridge that at the time of cresting, no one could see anything or get close enough to see. once the wall fell, a fast paced rumor swept through town that the bridge went. yes, we all know it's the wall now. the front that swept east still effected the salmon river though being that all of the water comes from western adirondacks. it was that front that hit redfield area and east of redfield where 75 percent of this water came from. and yes, 4 days ago i saw flood watches for western adirondacks on the local news up there. i don't care what anyone says. this could've been prevented. when i say prevented i mean instead of 20000 plus cfs, maybe 10000... such a shame.

tuna you are right about pre 90's, but you won't hear that much anymore, we have stabilized since then and haven;t heard a reference of it in years. but now more islands are going to be gone, holes filled in etc... but there will be all knew spots for even the best angler to be challenged... i'm very curious to see the small island below wall pool and above flats, and also see what the clay bank down by the clay hole is like. get ready to learn your spots again guys...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: first hand info 2010/10/02 23:15:32 (permalink)
    This is where lines get crossed. I just read a report from an anoymus tackle shop reporting fishing today at LFZ and several of the popular deeper runs like
    Tressel--- TODAY.
     To anyone not there this sounds like it has all started up after the flooding--Yea there were about 6 guys today in LFZ casting into water the color of coffee at well over normal flood stage that still had debris whizzing by and there were about 6 cars at Tressel South. There were also others fishing here and there too. And yes the DSR will open tomorrow--- but if you want the real skinny read the restrictions the DSR folks are responsibly  putting on the fishermen for safety purposes tomorrow.
      A few frustrated guys were fishing here and there because this was "their weekend". It will clear up very soon but PLEASE just give it a few days, the customers will come.
    Jump to: