Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/01 09:47:42 (permalink)

The stages of steelhead fishing

Over the years I have come to realize that for many of us who have been steelhead fisherman for a long time, we have gone through a number of distinct stages of development in our relationship to the sport.  I know I have.  That is why am sharing my experiences with you to maybe in some small way help you better understand your relationship to the sport

Stage one - you are invited by a friend to fish the tribs and you catch your first steelie.  It is the most awesome fishing experience you have had and you are excited and hooked.

Stage two - with a few steelies under your belt the excitement grows and you just cannot get enough of fishing for steelies.  You spend huge amounts of time and money on the sport; new rods, reels, flies, etc...  You are in it for a life time.

Stage three - you start to want to heighten the experience so you seek out new places to fish, solitude and the ultimate steelie experience.  It is at about this time frustration with the crowds, the idiots, the lack of space to fish free and unencumbered starts to begin.  The more you seek the ultimate experience, the less likely you find what you are looking for and the frustration grows.

Stage four - what started off as a very pleasurable and exciting experience in stage one now is very off putting, frustrating and annoying.  You start asking yourself are the hassles really worth it.  You may also start fishing less and less.

Stage five - you have had it.  You hang up the rod and reel and go do something else.  There is no more excitement or enjoyment in steelhead fishing and quite frankly it is because your dreams of finding the holy grail of steelhead fishing, that site where you are alone, man on fish in a beautiful natural setting just does not exist, or at least not as you want it to.  Basically, if you cannot have what you want, you will have nothing at all.

Stage six - you spend time reflecting on why you fish and what you are looking to get out of the experience and realize, as with most things in life, your expectations are pretty unrealistic and if you were truly honest with yourself you can still have fun steelhead fishing if you lower your expectations and learn to live with the way things are.  Sure it is not what you want it to be, but you come to accept what it is.

Stage seven - you hook up with a steelie in the midst of a bunch of clueless folks at the Wall of Nuts, you fight it for awhile, maybe land it, thank it for the fight and let it slip back into the stream.  You walk away with a smile on your face and thank God for the opportunity to have enjoyed one of His creatures.

As with all things in life you must learn to live with the realities you are presented and find ways to seek the joys that are around you.  So the next time you are on the stream do not only see the problems, see the opportunities because in the long run all problems are opportunities.   Peace and have a wonderful season.  +
post edited by Bughawk - 2010/10/01 16:33:48

pax vobiscum +

33 Replies Related Threads

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 09:51:12 (permalink)
    Bug,

Welcome back, sir!

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Sunset_Slayer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 09:53:16 (permalink)
    apparently you havent went far enough west on 90 in search of your steelhead paradise..
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 09:58:43 (permalink)
    good call
    but where do the stages of

you have caught enough fish, so you don't NEED to catch them
    you get more enjoyment out of just "being" at the stream experiencing the fish and the creek and the weather and the circus(once in a while)

you are not driven to catch a load of fish for yourself, but you want to share the beauty, excitement and joy of the experience with others...so you bring a friend and teach them to fish....sharing something very special with them
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 10:03:02 (permalink)
    Thats what I'm talkin' about...good post! I'm at stage 8 myself....just go with the flow, have those "moments" and remember to always go "balls deep"! Anyone who fishes with me, knows what that means!

Welcome back Bug!
    Jokerball101
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 10:08:32 (permalink)
    You nailed it Bug could not have said it better
    flip stick
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 10:21:23 (permalink)
    Thank's for sharing Bug and welcome back.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 10:21:32 (permalink)
    I'm at the point where I fish salmon/steelhead streamers 99% of the time. Its what I love to tie, and catching steelhead on a well tied streamer is just a lot of fun. I also find I spend more and more time taking pictures when I'm on the stream.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 10:27:38 (permalink)
    Welcome back Bug!!!
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 10:44:37 (permalink)
    The Stages of Steelheading

Denial:  What do you mean there are no fish yet? No. We are supposed to be catching them the last week of August. This can't be happening to me. There have to be fish.

Anger: I know there are fish. Those greedy fish-erie guys are just keeping them to themselves. Those locals just want to make sure they keep their precious streams away from the rest of us.

Bargaining: I will do anything to catch a steelhead. I know, I'll come up in the middle of the night dressed in camo neoprenes and fish blue power bait. I'll even speak nicely about the locals, just for a steelhead. Just one.

Depression: There are no fish. It's September 2nd and there are no fish. Why do I even bother? it's hopeless.

Acceptance: I am ok with being patient. The steelhead will come when they do. It's fall, we are getting a little rain. Others are starting to catch them, my turn will come. I just need to work at it a little. It will be a good season.
    STEELYS MANFISH
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 682
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 11:34:46 (permalink)
    Good post Bug. I am between stage 2 and 3. Glad ya came back. Its funny ya posted this now cause on my 2 hour ride home from Erie last night I thought about the craziness I just witnessed and allowed myself to be part of.

Yesterdays experience wasnt fishing. I could sense tension and stress from the crowd as we passed by. I knew the majority of thoughts were please keep walkin buddy, no room here. Way to many people fishing low water conditions with a minimal amount of fish in each pool. Walnut was low and clear. Those conditions were best suited for a true fly fisherman. When the fish cant clear the falls its to low. Thats my interpretation if Im wrong correct me. Im not lookin to make enemies. 

After fishing the lake late morning unsuccessfully with another buddy we decided to witness the madness at Walnut. I wanted him to experience the crowd and fever generated by a run of fresh chrome. The crowd didnt let us down. I read past threads on this site about lining fish and wanted to see it for myself. We fished the chutes and it was really quite easy to line fish attempting to swim past. I lined 4 and hooked 2 in the tail. That was enough proof. Every other angler I watched was also lining or foul hooking fish. I watched them pluck the fly from the outside corner of the jaw. I had no business fishing that water with my skill level and neither did the other 80% that were pounding those fish. A skilled fly fisherman had the best shot at getting those fish to bite.   

We did walk a ways that day on the nut taking in various holes that could be promising once the water levels go back up. That was actually the most worthwhile part of the trip. Im hoping those holes wont be overcrowded once the earth is blanketed in white but who am I kidding. Just maybe is all I can hope for. Thats what will keep bringing me back, Stage 3.

out4trout
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 12:33:00 (permalink)
    True to that ......... Exactly how it happens
    Recman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 12:43:50 (permalink)
    You walk away with a smile on your face and thank God for the opportunity to have enjoy one of His creatures.

Words of Wisdom, and getting back to the basics.

Appreciated!
    Hefalump
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 12:55:42 (permalink)
    Bughawk,
    Excellent post!
    I chuckled, laughed, and almost cried.... how true!
    Thanks,
    Mike
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6360
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 13:53:33 (permalink)
    Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out! Welcome back, to that same old place that you laughed about. While the names have all changed since you left awhile, the place is the same so you sit and smile. Welcome back , welcome back, wel-come backkk! Glad you're posting again Bug. BTW very good post. Stage eight. You still come up, hook one or two; but you have more fun helping a newbie land their first stelhead legally then in fishing yourself.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    rookie5781
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 14:19:07 (permalink)
    Awesome post. I enjoyed the "Stages of Stealhead Fishing" I am defintely at stage 4. But thank god for my personal guide, because he makes it all worth it, and takes me to the solitude of it all.
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 14:58:55 (permalink)
    Excellent read! I almost fell off my chair. It is so good to know that you are still in touch. I hope to see you on the tribs.

Bill

Fishmonger
    mook14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 301
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 17:44:32 (permalink)
    Excellent post.Glad to see your words of wisdom back on the boards.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8511
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 18:00:10 (permalink)
    I agree, welcome back Dave. We missed you here.
    I,m def. at stage 7. That was well put. 
    Welcome back, WWelcome back, Welcome back!

streamerfisher1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 18:11:51 (permalink)
    awsome post bughawk that is some of the best descriptions ive ever heard.
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3427
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 20:21:13 (permalink)
    Very good post. How true it is.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 20:35:15 (permalink)
    Welcome back Bug , I have missed your great reads and wisdom.

Im not sure which stage Im in I just go when I can and enjoy every fishing adventure I take.

The Deetz

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 20:55:24 (permalink)
    I've gone through all of those stages...starting with the salmon in the 70's, and ending in...well yesterday.

You've driven a verbal tack in the "evolution" experience.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 21:04:54 (permalink)
    bug, you surely are an impact player. this thread will not be trashed, diluted, or hijacked. just a pure musing that makes all of us think. welcome back to a place where you belong and are appreciated.

indrasson
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 21:38:19 (permalink)
    nice bug
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/01 22:30:30 (permalink)
    nice post bug i am just glad to go whenever i get a chance to go im on the same level as shut up and fish also there are a lot more things in life more important than steelhead fishing to me anyway but atleast i feel like i have some sort of control over steel than other realities in life

I have become comfortably numb
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2992
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/02 00:10:26 (permalink)
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/02 07:31:28 (permalink)
    Great post Bug, and welcome back.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/02 08:26:05 (permalink)
    You said a mouthfull bug!!!!!!
    The sharing with a good friend is my favorite part....
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: The stages of steelhead fishing 2010/10/02 15:09:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for all of the welcomes back.  They are much appreciated.  

While I was working through the whole fishing experience thing….  Stages 1 through 7 and maybe I should add 8 as suggested, I started thinking about fly patterns.  Actually this is what got be back into wanting to go fishing again.

What came to mind was why are there so many different fly types people use for steelhead?  I am not talking about variations on a pattern like different color or size of woolly buggers, I am talking about the actual different types of flies, nymphs, soft hackles, streamers, jigs, eggs, stone flies, etc…  The reason I got to wondering about this is that bait fisherman have only a couple of options available to them; Power Bait, eggs either single, sacs or skein, minnows – mainly emerald shiners and fatheads and for a few who know to use them, nightcrawlers.  This limited selection got me curious as to why we fly guys seem to have so many different types of flies in our boxes.

Tied into this whole contemplation of the flies (yes the pun was intended), I spent a good amount of time this summer cleaning out my fly boxes.  There were tons of just, “what the heck was I thinking when I tied this fly”, flies in there. Yellow bodied woolly buggers with red tails and purple hackle, well I think you get the picture.  It seemed that over the years I liked to experiment a lot and ended up with some really strange Frankenflies.  Being the OCD type I am this just did not settle well with me so I decided to start over and create only those fly patterns I know work for steelies and leave the experimenting behind.  No more God awful creations, just good solid patterns.  The question was, what patterns?  

So this is where the bait choices came to mind.  Basically steelies like fish eggs, minnows and worms.  Of course, the Power Bait is an option, but honestly what the heck is that stuff?  Fish flavored Play Dough?  Anyway, I decided to populate my fly box with only egg patterns – glo bugs (a mix of different shades of orange and pink) and sucker spawn (mainly white, cream and light pink), streamers - woolly buggers (mainly black and  olive) and a variety of emerald shiner patterns (for those in the know think polar silver ice dubbed body, gray marabou tail and olive and black Finn raccoon wing all tied onto a #4 to 8 salmon hook with black 0/6 thread; sharp looking fly) and the odd egg sucking bunny leech and nymphs.  I don’t know of any thing that bait fisherman use that looks like a nymph, but I like them and have caught quite a few steelies on nymphs – pheasant tails in olive, brown and black, hares ears and my version of a cooper john; perhaps a few woven bodied stone flies just because I like tying them.  

I have only been out once this fall and tried a variety of flies.  Most looked nice in the water, but the only one that I got a hook up on was a black egg sucking bunny leech.  Go figure.  Anyway, I plan on sticking to a simple few flies to fish with and hope for the best.  Off to the tying desk.  I need some more olive woolly buggers.  

Good luck when you come up.

Oh  yes, one more nice looking fly – my version of a polar shrimp – think red marabou tail, orange polar ice dubbed body and white Finn raccoon wing tied on a #6 to 8 salmon hook with black 0/6 thread.  A classic reinterpreted and it is awesome looking in the water.  Now all I need is to have a steelie crush one.  So maybe a little experimenting is OK?   Good luck to all.
    post edited by Bughawk - 2010/10/02 15:16:19

pax vobiscum +
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: