LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON

Author
270wbmag
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 347
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/29 14:53:47 (permalink)

LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON

HAS THIS EVER BEEN BROUGHT UP? they want more hunting license sales..wouldn't a 3 -5 day buck season after xmas be nice?..inlines/flintlock/bow...what do you guys think?

26 Replies Related Threads

deerfly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1271
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/09/29 15:49:12 (permalink)
    DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (Statewide): Dec. 27-Jan. 15. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

You can also use a bow in that season.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3532
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/09/29 16:00:43 (permalink)
    No serious discussions about it as far as after xmas.  There has been talk of a limited early inline season for antlered deer.  I heard it does not have much steam though from what I gather.

My rifle is a black rifle
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/09/29 16:05:13 (permalink)
    ohio has it, kentucky has it..they should do it here my opinion..deerfly, i know the seasons, wasn't my point.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/09/29 16:34:33 (permalink)
    I would be 100% against using inlines after x-mas. Might as well just use a rifle. Thats what we need more time to kill them with a inline. nope. Now a flintlock is a different story, lots of guys go hunting them with a flintlock with little success.
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/09/29 16:48:24 (permalink)
    hunters got crossbows for 6 weeks of hunting, this is 3 days...flintlockers get 2 or more weeks..more bucks get killed in my opinion with a crossbow that if a 3 day late season buck season..pgc says we got so many bucks, and rifle hunters aren't shooting them to great numbers..that could be another tag....inline license...spring turkey's 2 allowed...archers one week bear season.one week inline to kill a doe...doe hunters ...too many days or months to kill a doe..3 days for a inliner, not that unreasonable...
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/09/29 17:02:02 (permalink)
    pgc says we got so many bucks, and rifle hunters aren't shooting them to great numbers..that could be another tag....inline license

The PGC is not saying we have a lot of bucks and hunters aren't shooting them in great numbers. What they are saying is that only 20% of the 2.5+ buck survive along with 50% of the 1.5 buck that aren't AR legal.

You can use you in-line during the rifle season and you can use it in the late antlerless season in 2b, 5C and 5D.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/09/30 02:33:31 (permalink)
    Flintlock and bow are primitive weapons and that's why there is a late season. An inline is no different than a high power rifle that stuffs from the front. If you want to use an inline for buck, the season starts after bear season in PA.
    ORIGINAL: 270wbmag

HAS THIS EVER BEEN BROUGHT UP? they want more hunting license sales..wouldn't a 3 -5 day buck season after xmas be nice?..inlines/flintlock/bow...what do you guys think?

270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/09/30 08:27:57 (permalink)
    so why do we have a week in october for killing does??? you guys are all in favor of that but not for 3 days of hunting bucks who don't hunt with a bow/crossbow/flintlock..unfair...maybe...why do you want to protect some bucks and hammer the does in all their seasons they have..
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/09/30 08:37:44 (permalink)

you guys are all in favor of that but not for 3 days of hunting bucks

Im not in favor of that either. I have had a inline for 7-8 years and never hunted with it. If a buck makes it through archery and regular rifle season it deserves to live. IMO. On the other hand if you can kill him with a flintlock. good job.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/09/30 14:27:03 (permalink)
    hunting is not supposed to be fair.  life is not fair. fair is for people that want things handed to them for nothing.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/09/30 15:05:47 (permalink)
    I'm not in favor of early muzzle loader. Its the PGC way of selling more license and stamps. Its obvious they want less does in our woods. Unfair that I have to wait to Dec 26th to kill a buck with a flintlock ? No, I can use the flint in regular firearm season same as an inline.

so why do we have a week in october for killing does??? you guys are all in favor of that but not for 3 days of hunting bucks who don't hunt with a bow/crossbow/flintlock..unfair...maybe...why do you want to protect some bucks and hammer the does in all their seasons they have..

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/09/30 15:27:49 (permalink)
    Inlines during flintlock season would increase the kill and put more hunters in the woods at that time of year. It might even have a more drastic effect than including X-bows in archery. I doubt it would be popular, but it sounds like something the PGC would do...
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/09/30 16:25:21 (permalink)
    I thought about getting a x-box for last season but i enjoy shooting my hawkens to much.If they would include in-lines that would suck really bad.If you would buy a good in-line you may as well shoot them with high power rifles.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/09/30 19:39:42 (permalink)
    +1 x 1000!!!
    ORIGINAL: chicken27

I thought about getting a x-box for last season but i enjoy shooting my hawkens to much.If they would include in-lines that would suck really bad.If you would buy a good in-line you may as well shoot them with high power rifles.

270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/10/01 10:25:00 (permalink)
    bet if they ever approved such a season..you guys would be there with your inlines..and never complain...
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/10/01 10:37:59 (permalink)
    It's only a matter of time.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/10/01 12:30:20 (permalink)
    remember they tried to get a "spear season for deer"...how stupid was that?????
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/10/01 12:58:46 (permalink)
    The spear season Roxane Palone supported got the state on the comedy channel and now she is trying to discredit the current commissioners, sweet. As for inlines, all the better newer ones shoot under 1" groups at 100 yds and under 2-1/2" at 200 yds so they really are little more than a single shot rifle, but as you guys say it is probably just a matter of time. The object after all is to kill as many as possible.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/10/01 15:12:08 (permalink)

bet if they ever approved such a season..you guys would be there with your inlines..and never complain...

I would. But I dont have a flintlock now, so it would just be another chance to hunt for me. But it's not something I feel strongly about either way. I assume the flintlock guys would hate the idea.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/10/01 15:26:54 (permalink)
    I think inlines are way too similiar to rifles in usage and performance to ever warrant a separate season imo. We already have plenty of opportunities, and some might say too many opportunities as is. If someone just loves to shoot an inline, they already have an early doe season & regular "gun" season to use them in. Since they saw fit to include crossbows in with archery season because the performance was somewhat similiar, i see no logic that would suggest inlines need a separate season from rifles.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/10/01 15:29:11
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/10/01 19:08:32 (permalink)
    hey wayne...why do other states have it..can name many..ohio,md,ne,kentucky,iowa,kansas,illinois,..must be popular there..
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/10/01 19:48:01 (permalink)
    if you do look to ohio the season is set up different and not with rifles. alot of those states mention do not use rifles. so maybe thats why they set it up different with diffrent seasons with other more modern primative weapons.

may i ask to whom ever said an inline is like a rifle, have you personally used an inline? or hersay? I for one have used an inline. they are accurate(if you get a good one and get the right load and spend time sighting it in and continued on and on...)..only thing, the are not like a rifle.....its one shot. and its not gaurenteed to "go off" i've had "clicks" before. you have to keep them very clean still. a rifle has how many bullets? FIVE? so they are not a rifle not close to it. there is a delay in the shot, it uses a powder pellet NOT a bullet, its slower, there are alot of ifs and buts about a inline that make its NOT a rifle. not even close.

i'm not against an in-line season, like 270 said if there was a season we'd be out there doing it.
    if they were to make an in-line season though i think they should really redirect the regular season into being different. two weeks to me is still along time to have a large number of people in the woods, sorry to the folks that dont have alot of time to hunt during rifle, but seems to me alot of guys "dont work" or something during that season. and two weeks seems abudant to kill a Doe, or Does.
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/10/01 20:13:44 (permalink)
    there is a delay in the shot, it uses a powder pellet NOT a bullet, its slower, there are alot of ifs and buts about a inline that make its NOT a rifle. not even close

What inline uses a powder pellet instead of a bullet? Don't most inlines use a primer just like a rifle?
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/10/01 20:47:16 (permalink)
    The powder pellet is just the new faster way to load the rifle rather than pouring powder down the barrel. You can load the powder and bullet quicker.They also have smokeless fast burning powder instead of black powder. This is a 2004 article on it. they also have bullets with the plastic tip for expansion control. It's a single shot rifle that shoots minute of angle groups just like the Ruger #1 and a host of other single shot rifles. If your having misfires your doing something wrong.

As for the choice of powders, most states allow the use of black powder substitutes, such as Pyrodex, Triple-Seven, Black Mag, Clean Shot, and others. Many hunters will use nothing but black powder, and don’t want anything else allowed. Savage really stirred up a hornet’s nest a few years ago with the introduction of their inline muzzleloader that uses modern smokeless powder, such as is used in cartridge firearms. They might as well have called the Pope a Godless sinner! There are more heated discussions over this new muzzleloader than with any other topic regarding muzzleloader hunting. We need to keep in mind, however, that smokeless powder is just another black powder substitute. It was invented, as the name implies, to fire without emitting a cloud of smoke. From a military standpoint, this is greatly advantageous, as it does not give away the position of the riflemen or artillery to the enemy. Smokeless powder also contains more energy per grain of powder than does black. If Savage had introduced this rifle with a new powder that was just as powerful, but emitted smoke and fouling upon firing, there would be less controversy. The Savage system offers the great advantage of more power and minimal fouling, and some shooters will not accept this. Think about it, a muzzleloader is simply a rifle that uses no self-contained cartridge. The breech being sealed, no brass case is needed. Most black powder substitutes are formulated to measure like black powder, while offering improved burn characteristics. Smokeless is no different, except that it measures differently. Its advantages over other black powder substitutes are those of cleaner burning and more power. To a man, every critic, except one, of the Savage 10MLII smokeless muzzleloader has never fired one. Many have never seen one, but still offer criticism of the rifle based upon the powder that it uses. I want to emphasize that the Savage can use black powder and any substitute on the market as well as any rifle, but due to the fact that it can be used with smokeless powder, many hunters want it banned from use during muzzleloading season. Again, these are shooters who have never even fired the rifle. I like the Savage, and have purchased one. It offers greater range, flatter trajectory, more power, and less fouling than any other muzzleloader on the market. I love mine.

post edited by S-10 - 2010/10/01 20:55:42
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/10/01 23:24:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

The powder pellet is just the new faster way to load the rifle rather than pouring powder down the barrel. You can load the powder and bullet quicker.They also have smokeless fast burning powder instead of black powder. This is a 2004 article on it. they also have bullets with the plastic tip for expansion control. It's a single shot rifle that shoots minute of angle groups just like the Ruger #1 and a host of other single shot rifles. If your having misfires your doing something wrong.

+1 There is no hesitation, at least all of the ones I shot. I have heard of more misfires from bad bullets in rifles than from the primers you put in inlines.

post edited by rollcaster - 2010/10/01 23:26:14
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: LATE SEASON INLINE BUCK SEASON 2010/10/02 00:08:53 (permalink)
    i've never heard a misfire from a bad bullet..i dont know what those ppl did with their bullets kept them in water in the off season?... i've heard more misfires on an inline. it sounds like a .22 going off. usually the breech gets clogged and its the primer going off.

there is still a hesitation. its just not as noticable because yes it is faster then a muzzleloader.... but that brief millosecond u flinch it wont be where u want it. where id the breech hole on a rifle? where u have to send a spark to ignite powder? ya its incased in a shell....you tell me which is more effective..lets see you have fun on a rainy day with a in-line or in the snow since we are talking about later season..get it wet...then we'll see if its like a rifle. i've used the powderx pellets they dont burn that clean. if u happen to reload in the woods the breech will be lil dirty and chances might be a misfire. all those tests is from them shooting at range cleaning each time they shoot. dont let them fool you, remember they'll say anything to make it sound good and so you'll buy it......
    plus try to reload if by chance you were to miss..its a one shot deal, usually thats what it should take but i know if people drive deer in that season now you are shooting at moving targets..

i mean all in reality this is talking in theory they were to make such a season. but if it was like a weekend season i cant see it being like a harvest like the first day of rifle.
    Jump to: