Early Season Setups

Author
countryfisher
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 168
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/28 22:06:16 (permalink)

Early Season Setups

In the early part of the season do you tend to have more sucess in early morning or late evening? Middle of the day has been uneventful til about Halloween for me anyway. I hunt when I can but does anybody have strong feelings towards morning or evening hunts early in the season? I know stand placement is a factor here, so I should mention that I maily hunt stands about 100yds inside the woods from cropfields.

5 Replies Related Threads

tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Early Season Setups 2010/09/28 22:39:51 (permalink)
    I hunt mornings and evenings in the early season.  Some days I will pull an all day sit, but rarely in the early weeks of season.  Maybe once, when I am still fresh.

I hunt thicket....fingers?  it is hard to explain but the areas close to bedding areas that kind of stick out, even just 20 yards; makes for great travel corridors in the morning.  Often this is on the sides of flats, or benches.  Especially if that have an apple tree or something that the deer check out before going to bed for the day.

In the evening I hunt maybe 20-50 yards in from the edges of fields.  Wind and thermals are a real betch though, because you have all the does and youngins coming out first, so you cant have them bust you from a field, and you also cant have any of them, or big papa, getting wind of you in the woods either.  Deer also seem to get hung up in the "almost" field area if they are entering with the wind at their back.  They are extra cautious.  Kind of nice to have a couple of corners to choose from, that way you can play the wind, and their instincts.

When the rut comes I hunt the down wind sides of those same thicket fingers, but for the whole day.  Main trails that does use year around mixed with favorable winds, make for great all day sits.  You never know when big unit is going to come by sniffing for some strange.

I am also prone to hunting in the middle of the thickest places I can get away with and still have a couple of shooting lanes come the rut, because I figure the big guys will be taking does back home to shag, and I want to be there waiting for him, like a classic slasher film.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Early Season Setups 2010/09/28 22:49:37 (permalink)
    I see more bucks in the afternoon hours than the morning hours in the early season. I don't have any real rhyme or reason, just the way it works for me.

As the season progresses I prefer mornings. Again, no distinct reason here, I just see far more buck activity in the mornings during the last 3 weeks of the season.

But like you mentioned, I hunt when I can and that is the best advice to give to anyone!!
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: Early Season Setups 2010/09/30 08:57:39 (permalink)
    I will be hunting a pine thicket in the a.m.All are trial cams pics seem like the bucks are there mainly in the morning but not much action last week at none of them.I will hunt till 11 or so saturday then check my cam if no action i will move to the white oaks in the evening.I saw bucks both morning and evening on the first day.No time is a bad time to be in the woods
    post edited by chicken27 - 2010/09/30 09:01:10
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Early Season Setups 2010/09/30 15:19:20 (permalink)
    The best time for me is whenever I can.
    Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Early Season Setups 2010/09/30 19:41:42 (permalink)
    I have scored early season in the morning and evenings, no real difference in the number of bucks seen between the times. As for stand location I try to to focus on natural funnels between bedding and feeding areas.
    Jump to: