public land treestand vote

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
RIZ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
  • Reward points: 0
RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/30 16:58:33 (permalink)
As for how far do I thing I should claim, I would say completely out of any sight line and then some.

so dar for the sake of arguement,  let's say the owner gave permission to someone else to hunt, you built stands every 200 - 300 yrds all over the property, do you expect to be the only person hunting that property, even though you can only hunt 1 stand at a time?
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/30 18:42:24 (permalink)
The year this happened I was still archery hunting.. I had hunted and scouted in this area several times during archery season, and never saw anyone or any stands. I will confess that while I am walking thru the woods scouting I do not spend alot of time looking up into trees for tree stands... and as I said.. it is public land.. first come first served...

call me what you want.. I was in the right.. I was there first... and to get up and leave because of that arse.... no way.. I was not brought up that way ... I was not backing down because I was in the right and I stand up for myself when that is the case.. had he been there first I would have QUICKLY AND QUIETLY returned to the truck and moved to some other spot.

If he was willing to sit there and put up with me rather than move ... so be it.... I always have the next day to harvest a deer....

If everytime someone happens along and I got up and left them have the spot on public grounds.

I'd spend half a day moving trying to get a place until someone else came along...

it's called hunting public land...

there's no way I'm going to believe you guys are going to get up and move if some one does the same to you... heck last year all I was reading here is how guys wanted to kick butt because someone came thru "their area" small game hunting or deer hunting while they were in a tree... make up your minds ???
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/30 18:46:45
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/30 19:37:39 (permalink)
Sure, but to sit there and purposely aggravate the other hunter is a SLOB in my book. Looks like the shoe fits. enough said....
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

The year this happened I was still archery hunting.. I had hunted and scouted in this area several times during archery season, and never saw anyone or any stands. I will confess that while I am walking thru the woods scouting I do not spend alot of time looking up into trees for tree stands... and as I said.. it is public land.. first come first served...

call me what you want.. I was in the right.. I was there first... and to get up and leave because of that arse.... no way.. I was not brought up that way ... I was not backing down because I was in the right and I stand up for myself when that is the case.. had he been there first I would have QUICKLY AND QUIETLY returned to the truck and moved to some other spot.

If he was willing to sit there and put up with me rather than move ... so be it.... I always have the next day to harvest a deer....

If everytime someone happens along and I got up and left them have the spot on public grounds.

I'd spend half a day moving trying to get a place until someone else came along...

it's called hunting public land...

there's no way I'm going to believe you guys are going to get up and move if some one does the same to you... heck last year all I was reading here is how guys wanted to kick butt because someone came thru "their area" small game hunting or deer hunting while they were in a tree... make up your minds ???

MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: public land treestand vote 2010/10/01 00:36:32 (permalink)
First if I am in a stand, it is probably because it is the best vantage point. I have sat is stands while guys walked in and sat within 50 yards. I bagged on both of those days and he never even saw the deer I was shooting at.

As far as how much ground is claimed around a stand. If I am in in some, if I am not, none.

If I walk into and area I want to hunt and someone is there, I typically try to move out of sight 150-200 yards if I decide to hunt in that area.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4927
RE: public land treestand vote 2010/10/01 08:05:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: RIZ

As for how far do I thing I should claim, I would say completely out of any sight line and then some.

so dar for the sake of arguement,  let's say the owner gave permission to someone else to hunt, you built stands every 200 - 300 yrds all over the property, do you expect to be the only person hunting that property, even though you can only hunt 1 stand at a time?

I can't even engage in that arguement because it is about as likely to happen as winning the lottery without buying a ticket.

When my Father, brother, and I all hunted this property we had a total of 3 stands, all built with the permission of the landowner, all within at total distance of 500 yards, all well marked and known to those that hunted the property regularly.  Now that my father no longer hunts and my brother is dead, those two stands have been removed.  That means there is one permanent stand on the property -- mine.

It should not be very hard to avoid 1 stand on over 450 acres on this landowners property, especially since the stand is more or less geometrically centered on it and that land is surrounded by about 3000 acres of other ground that is also private but permits the public to hunt.  Sometimes I think it is like being on a pod of fish and somebody needs to be in your vest pocket even though when you look up and down the stream there is no one else in sight and there are plenty of places for them to fish other than within spitting distance.

But to entertain your idea, I would never build a bunch of stands all over the property.  I see no need for it.  This stand has been in the same place for the last 37 years (when the permanent stand got just a little too scary for last year, I did install a two-person ladder stand -- it is about 15 yards from the permanent stand, which is still in place to basically mark the spot) and there has never been any reason to move it.

I have two points here, I believe -- 1) if I scouted into an area on private ground that I never hunted before and found a permanent stand, I would not hunt near it, ever, out of respect for the landowner or their proxy that built it and if that meant not being able to hunt the property at all because there was no way to avoid the permanent stands, I would not hunt the property and 2) this thread was about the antics of people hunting too near people on public land on which there are no "claims" to a spot other than being there first, which is weak at best, and I wanted to point out that even on private ground, with a the strongest possible claim to a spot, there were still hunters willing to plunk themselves down way to close.

I would tend to think if I were asking someone for permission to hunt their property that one of the first questions I would ask would be, where are the stand on the property that I should avoid.  Maybe I am just too courteous.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: public land tree stand vote 2010/10/01 08:52:19 (permalink)
I have been in the same situation as you. Got into my stand before daylight only to have a hunter come and sit down 50 yds from me at daybreak. That was fine it's public property and he has that right. I did not provoke him to move. Eventually he moved one. I try and stay out of way of other hunters also. Its just the way I was brought up.
ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

First if I am in a stand, it is probably because it is the best vantage point. I have sat is stands while guys walked in and sat within 50 yards. I bagged on both of those days and he never even saw the deer I was shooting at.

As far as how much ground is claimed around a stand. If I am in in some, if I am not, none.

If I walk into and area I want to hunt and someone is there, I typically try to move out of sight 150-200 yards if I decide to hunt in that area.

sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
RE: public land tree stand vote 2010/10/01 14:47:11 (permalink)
i hunt on private land and keep my treestand there year around.  i hunt it in archery rifle and flintlock and have for the past 6 yrs, and every year there are ppl who come in off the bordering public land and throw stands up within 50 yards of mine and my brothers the day before rifle.  last year opening day of rifle my brother had about 6 ppl within a hundred yards. all there stands went up a couple days before rifle season. i would say these people were way to close and had no respect.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: public land tree stand vote 2010/10/01 15:16:43 (permalink)
What you guys don't seem to realize is that by leaving your stand up all year you make it easy for someone to come stumbling along, see your stand and think, (this must be a good spot, someone has scouted the area out and found this to be the honey hole. I know where I'am going to hunt.) I have only had my stands out for 5 weeks and already I have found where someone set up cameras on the trail leading to two of them in the last 10 days and someone put up a ladder stand 60 yds above me on the trail i'am hunting in a third location. All on 3 different farms that I got permission to hunt. I made their scouting easy and probably assured I will have company.. Hell, just by habit whenever I see a stand someone else put out the first thing I do is look around to see why it is in that particular location and Determine if that is where I would have put it. I can tell a lot about my compettion in the area by doing that. When it comes to hunting many people have no respect for your rights or property and it will only get worse. Two years ago I had a guy try to BS me into leaving my stand on my land. Needless to say it wasn't me that left.
treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
RE: public land tree stand vote 2010/10/02 11:41:43 (permalink)
I have several properties and no longer give permission for people to have permanant stands. Reason being is
that I hunt and I now have enough areas that I feel are not mine anymore. These permanant stands even keep me from
utilizing my own properties. Also I am sick and tired of all the disgarded stands that were not removed after
stands became unusable. I also do not allow anyone to use climbers or ladder stands that cut into the bark in any way.
Also no hunters are to climb cherry or white oak trees. I have to argue with hunters every year, most are polite
the others are evicted.
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
RE: public land treestand vote 2010/10/12 21:50:39 (permalink)
Good rule
Bull Lifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 407
RE: public land treestand vote 2010/10/13 00:30:32 (permalink)
i can see the whole not building...i've been hunting an area now for who knows how long really now i have a guy on the ground that thinks he can walk up on deer and asked me how long i've been hunting "here" as where he found me in my climber the first day and i said longer then you. he simply went. oh. then he said he killed a doe "right here" the other day, during the 2b early season. i was like "great" in a sarcastic tone. becuase he just shot at a 6 point that was bedded 30 yards by me...missed, there was a button buck with him and he claims to have shot at it.

far as a vote goes if a stand is around, i usually go somewhere else, unless it was magically put in the tree i use...i know its harder for a hunter to tell if someone is hunting there...if they use a climber or do hunt on the ground. so hard to say with that kinda case..if hes there? maybe dont hunt. if hes not i'd hunt i suppose.
Bull Lifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 407
RE: public land tree stand vote 2010/10/13 00:31:55 (permalink)
side note- why do you not let ppl climb cherries or oaks? i've been climbing the same black cherry for the past,gosh, 8 years?
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5035
RE: public land tree stand vote 2010/10/13 06:52:31 (permalink)
You scratch the bark off that Cherry tree on someones private property and it can get costly very quick...
Expensive trees....

Being a logger is see all manners of tree stands...
The old wood, nails in tree stands are fair game and explode when you smack them with a big Oak.(w/landowner/perm.)

Job I'm on right now there are 10-12 tree stands in these woods..
We are not even allowed to touch them or we will be sued...
Actually got a letter from their lawyer stating as such..

You should see the $2,000 Cherry butt logs ruined from nails and the rust from them..Straps that have been on the trees for years strangling them.

What a pain to have to work around as these trees don't always go where they are supposed to go...
post edited by bingsbaits - 2010/10/13 06:58:37

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Big Fathead
Expert Angler
RE: public land treestand vote 2010/10/13 10:47:27 (permalink)
I use to hunt game lands in North Washintin Butler County and I fully understand how aggravating it is when people have stands on public land and basically take possesion of that piece of property. There was a crew of hunters that put up 5 or 6 wooden stands (not nailed to the trees) across 2 sides of a valley and covered probably 10 acres or more of a main funnel for the deer when they were pressured (these stands stayed up year round) I was young and always stayed away from the stands even when they weren't in them. In my opinion theres not a better deal you have private hunting grounds and don't pay property taxes on it! Well thats how I used to think but now if I had to hunt the public land I would find it fair that it was on a first come first serve basis. That would be daily, so anyone having a stand in the woods prior to me getting there may have company. The reason i feel this way is if I go scouting in say October for a rifle spot and find my perfect location and get there first day of rifle, walk in while it's dark, get situated and an hour later here comes Mr. stand man (which by the way I didn't know the stand was there cause it wasn't there in october) with a stand 50 yards away, Is it fair I should move? No way they should be the ones moving if so desired. If they stayed I would hunt as I normally do and hope I see Mr. Big Boy before they do which is unlikely because they are elevated. I also had the option of setting up a stand but didn't so why would I be upset at a hunter that spent the time scouting and finding there perfect location then setting up there stand. I have already hunted on public land and harvested a doe within 20 yards of a guy that it walked past. He never seen it and **** near jumped out of his trousers when I shot!

If stands are not allowed to be left in year round that would allow other hunters the opportunity to hunt more places on game lands.

Private Property: You better not even be close to my stand because I have permission and you don't if I'm stand hunting. I only have stands on property that we have permission to post and patrol. I do not bust peoples chops for walking through or hunting these grounds unless they are directly affecting my hunting. I'm the one helping farm, cutting and splitting firewood, brush hogging acres and acres of land, and helping the land owners out when needed to acquire the right to use their land.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: