SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/28 12:17:21 (permalink)

public land treestand vote

Pa. Game Commission muls tree stand rule change
(AP)

The Pennsylvania Game Commission is considering a crackdown on hunters who put tree stands up on state game lands and never take them down.

The commission will vote next week on a proposal that would allow hunters to put tree stands up two weeks before the start of the first big game season and require their removal two weeks after the last big game season of the year.

Southeast region land management supervisor Bruce Metz says workers have to remove stands if they get in the way of improvement projects.

Metz tells the Lancaster Sunday News it's also a fairness issue. Year-round tree stands let hunters reserve a spot on what's supposed to be public land.

If approved next week, the measure would have to be voted on again in January before it could become law.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.

43 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/28 12:25:13 (permalink)
    I've always done that except I usually have them in by the first week of Sept. I have no problem with that law.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3532
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/28 12:46:55 (permalink)
    All good with me.

My rifle is a black rifle
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/28 16:34:31 (permalink)
    You would think that don't give the deer enough time to get used to the new stand.What is the point of them doing this?I would think so the lock ons just don't hang there forever an choke the tree after years.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/28 20:39:18 (permalink)
    I like it.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/28 22:06:02 (permalink)
    What if I want to hunt Coyotes from a treestand in February?

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/28 22:15:07 (permalink)
    No one has a concern that two weeks is way to close to the season to be hanging stands?

Sounds like sour grapes from someone who didn't get thiers up in time.
    post edited by MuskyMastr - 2010/09/28 22:21:19

Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/28 22:22:53 (permalink)
    I don't.
    We often hang a stand late morning/early afternoon and hunt it that very evening.  Never seemed to be a problem if noise is kept down and the wind is right.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/28 22:25:44 (permalink)
    As have I, but given my choice, I would rather have it in way ahead.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/28 22:42:28 (permalink)
    Seems like another chapter in their never ending rule change book. Have the hunter tag his stand with name and number and if its a problem the game commision can contact them. No tag, then they can take your stand after the season is closed. It's public property let the public decide.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/29 09:06:02 (permalink)
    Considering it's public land, open to all and the fact I hunt on SGL I have a question
    for you trusting guys who leave stands on SGL...

If I get to the same area about 15 minutes before you show up to occupy your stand and sit 30 yards away what do you do when I flash my light in your directions to tell you I am already set-up there.????

I can't imagine most of you are going to be happy campers....

I rememebr a time when I was in the woods set-up on opening morning of rifle season,drinking coffee when I heard a car stop, a guy gets out walks in about 75 yards in front of me and up a tree he goes. I'm hitting him with the light the whole way in and up the tree and he just does not care.. I know he thinks I'll leave.. nope... I sat there for four hours firing up cigarette after cigarette, coughin, and wigglin arounding like a 4 year old...

I agree with the commissioners on this point..leaving a stand on SGLs gives too many guys the idea that that is their spot... which it is if they were physically there first, leaving a tree stand means NOTHING in my book...

Can you leave a chair on "the wall" to reserve your spot for steelheads for the next day ?????

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/29 09:08:53
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4927
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/29 09:38:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Considering it's public land, open to all and the fact I hunt on SGL I have a question

If I get to the same area about 15 minutes before you show up to occupy your stand and sit 30 yards away what do you do when I flash my light in your directions to tell you I am already set-up there.????

I rememebr a time when I was in the woods set-up on opening morning of rifle season,drinking coffee when I heard a car stop, a guy gets out walks in about 75 yards in front of me and up a tree he goes. I'm hitting him with the light the whole way in and up the tree and he just does not care.. I know he thinks I'll leave.. nope... I sat there for four hours firing up cigarette after cigarette, coughin, and wigglin arounding like a 4 year old...

I agree with the commissioners on this point..leaving a stand on SGLs gives too many guys the idea that that is their spot... which it is if they were physically there first, leaving a tree stand means NOTHING in my book...

Can you leave a chair on "the wall" to reserve your spot for steelheads for the next day ?????

I do not hunt on public ground, but the private ground that I hunt permits anyone that follows the rules (like no ATV's) to hunt there.  I have had a permanent tree stand for over 35 years, with the permission of the land owner (who, at times, has helped me repair portions of it).  One would tend to think that if a hunter were new to private ground, and they know it is private by the gates and such, if during scouting, or during a hunt for that matter, you would come upon a permanent tree stand, the presumption would be that it belonged to either the landowner or someone that has a very good relationship with the landowner and would not hunt anywhere near that stand out of courtesy for those upon whose ground you are hunting.

But, nay, nay.  That is not what has happened over the last 15 or so years.  As folks have scouted into the area I hunt, they have discovered what I did a very long time ago, where my tree stand is located is a pretty good spot.  So I have had folks plunk themselves down with 25 yards on some occassions, 50 yards more often, and in the last 10 years, within 100 yards every 1st day of rifle season.

I have had people be in my stand.  I have had a guy that shot three bucks if front of me outright tell me that the reason he chose to put a climber up where he did was because he had heard about my success out of that stand and figured out a way to "cut off" the deer before they got to me.

While I have no dog in the public land fight, having someone sit in my back pocket or even in my stand on private ground can be likened to coming home to find someone sitting on your patio and using your grill because you were there using it when they arrived. 

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/29 10:14:15 (permalink)
    Dar..

I must say I think private land is a different "ballgame".

If I had permission to hunt there I would totally respect any permanent stands built before I joined those hunting there.. and find another area and would try to know the areas others who have permisssion to hunt there are using..
    that said if I am not aware of anyone else using an area and I am the first there .. It's mine for the time I am there and they should "Move on"

Now I know that is wishful thinking.... I too have had guys move in on me in rifle season and set up 50 yards away... and it happens here every year and usally it's the same "tough guys" that do it..

we all know the type...,, up drinking most of the night before, get up at 7:30 walk into the woods at 8am, stumbling, coughing, maybe even "chumming" as they go, sit down, light up a smoke and never even look to see you sitting there in your set-up...

If I am stand hunting on SGL.. I put the stand up the night before at dusk and return in the morning and take the stand with me when I leave the next day..

I think the BOC should leave it alone !!!!

why are they so hell-bent on challenging the hunters so much all of a sudden????

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/29 10:41:00
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/29 10:28:17 (permalink)
    I live on a small farm (about 70 acres), and the land is posted, and is a very visible manner. My fiance's brother in law has a couple stands up, all of which I can see from my kitchen table window on a clear winter day once the leaves are off. Last year I didn't hunt the first day, and there were guys crawling all over this place, sitting in both tree stands and parked at the end of the driveway. They got away with it becauce my fiance's bro in law and her father always hunt upstate for the first day of rifle, and I hadn't officially moved in yet so I kept mum. I'm going to stick around and hunt the first day of rifle down here this year, though I expect I'll be spending most of my day asking people to leave.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 347
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/29 14:38:18 (permalink)
    hey doc, I am with you on this one...guys up here put them in corner of food plots and leave them all year...Had a kid sit in my buddies blind and when he came, he wouldn't get out..said my dad told me to stay here..after a little coaxing he was on his way..with the pgc on this one..
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/29 15:20:30 (permalink)
    "if I am not aware of anyone else using an area and I am the first there .. It's mine for the time I am there and they should "Move on"

Doc,

The stand was pretty hard to miss -- 2X6 screwed in with 8" lag bolts.  They should be aware. 

That being said, I must disagree with you.  I have permission from the landowner to have that stand there and to use it.  No one else does.  I don't really care who beats me to the spot, I believe that my permission trumps their squater's rights.  They have no way of knowing when I or the landowner will show up to use it.  They should make the presumption that anything permanent like is there for a reason and should stay away from it.

What if I only have the afternoon to hunt?  They will beat me there every time.

Believe me, I am not "moving on."  They will move on.  Either at my prompting or at the prompting of the PSP (remember, it doesn't have to be posted for it to be trespassing.)

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/29 18:35:18 (permalink)
    So what about hunting other species later in the year?

JLBSR
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/29 19:02:33 (permalink)
    Hey All,

I too enjoy hunting out of a ladderstand.  I have had them moved and stolen.  I have several in Ohio and PA.  On occassion I have to ask someone to comedown out of my stand.  Usually with no resistance.  I'm now an Ohio resident but born and raised in pa for 40 years.  Coyotes need to be hunted and are in all year round.  So when is the end of season I guess.  And is public ground hunting, paid for and covered by our tax dollars and hunting fee's.  So how is it we should be told when and how we should do anything on this property.  I know alot of SGL's are used also for the lumber and minerals but stands I set up are usually in area's not at risk for clearcut and drilling.  Dunno but there seems to be alot of rules.

Thanks
    JB
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/29 19:03:42 (permalink)
    I was not referring to a trespasser...they have NO RIGHTS .....

I see no reason if you and I both have permission to hunt the same property why your choice of a stand location should prevent me from hunting the same area if you are not there...

so how far around your stand do you feel is yours and yours alone ????
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/29 19:07:21
    JLBSR
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/29 19:08:09 (permalink)
    You're right Doc it does come down to common sense, maturity and cooperation.  I try to put my stands where no one wants to go (except maybe a deer or two).

JB
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/29 21:01:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: JLBSR

You're right Doc it does come down to common sense, maturity and cooperation.  I try to put my stands where no one wants to go (except maybe a deer or two).

JB

+1
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: public land tree stand vote 2010/09/30 02:25:01 (permalink)
    For one thing I don't think you are much of a hunter to drag coffee into the deer woods. Second you should know where you are hunting and your surroundings. Third If you just sat there and blew smoke and coughing on purpose for four hours I classify you as a slob hunter. And yes you can leave a chair for steel. You will take your chances same as a tree stand that it will there when you return on public property.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/30 08:36:59 (permalink)

I was not referring to a trespasser...they have NO RIGHTS .....

I see no reason if you and I both have permission to hunt the same property why your choice of a stand location should prevent me from hunting the same area if you are not there...

so how far around your stand do you feel is yours and yours alone ????

I guess I wasn't clear.

It is private ground.  It is not posted, so people presume they can hunt on it.  The landowner does not mind if people hunt on it as long as they follow a few simple rules, one of which is no ATV's of any sort anywhere.  The landowner's father is retired and walks the ground everyday.  If people bother to ask if they can hunt there (which most don't), he says yes -- most do not bother.  So while they have permission if they ask or feel they have permission because 1) it is not posted (unfortunately a lot of people feel this way) or 2) they have not got tossed out on their ear, my situation is a little different.

I have permission to hunt.  We have had permission to hunt this property back as far as 65 years.  I, and I alone, have permission to have a permanent tree stand on the property.  The landowner has helped me repair it.  He doesn't even hunt near it.

My point is, if I were new to an area, even if I have permission to hunt it, if I came across a permanent tree stand on private ground, I would presume two things -- 1) it belongs to the landowner or someone that the landowner has a differnt kind of relationship with that is far closer than mine as a stranger that happend to get an okay to hunt the ground and 2) that I should not hunt anywhere near that stand at any time in case the owner of it decides to use it that particular day (which I have no way of knowing).  It is common courtesy and respect for the landowner not to do so because if it is permanent it more than likely his theirs or someone's who has a relationship with them.

As for how far do I thing I should claim, I would say completely out of any sight line and then some.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/30 09:31:42 (permalink)
    As for how far do I thing I should claim, I would say completely out of any sight line and then some.

WOW -- can definately tell you do not hunt public land...
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/30 09:37:48 (permalink)
    For one thing I don't think you are much of a hunter to drag coffee into the deer woods. Second you should know where you are hunting and your surroundings. Third If you just sat there and blew smoke and coughing on purpose for four hours I classify you as a slob hunter.

I'm the slob because I decided to ruin his hunt just as he did mine ????

Did you miss the part that I was there FIRST ????

I always have coffee, sandwiches, and smoke while sitting waiting for deer...

I do not pay much attention to all that scent free stuff ... I only pay attention to the wind direction and that has worked for me for years... I'm a meat hunter... and I find it silly to spend money and time worring about scent control in rifle season... most of the deer I see are on the move and not paying alot of attention to smelling anyhow....

In my opinion the guy that came in and did not leave when he saw someone else was already hunting there is the SLOB.. but to each his own...

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/30 11:02:47 (permalink)

WOW -- can definately tell you do not hunt public land...

I guess my whole point to posting on this thread is that I hunt private ground, from what could be considered a very privileged position, and I still have Bozos plunk themselves down where they shouldn't, so I would expect no less to happen on public land.

If I had to hunt public ground for deer, I would stop hunting deer.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/30 13:37:10 (permalink)
    ahhhhhhhhhh...

it ain't always that bad Dars...
    you just have to have the time to scout and honestly get away from the roads and especially the parking lots..

only ONE of my places is near a parking lot....

the game lands around here are not getting the number of hunters they used to, even RSB mentioned that..but you still have to choose carefully if you want to avoid other hunters...

Tomorrow the roads on Clear Creek State Forest will be open and some of them go along way back into the forest...and with a little studying you can see where others have parked to scout and I just avoid those spots.... I rarely run into people at clear creek...

SGL#54 can be a different story.. but I used to park and walk in a long way on "tram roads" that are never open to traffic..

hunting near parking lots will surely get your hunt interrupted around here.
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/30 13:38:26
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 347
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/30 13:40:07 (permalink)
    doc, you ruined your own hunt by being more ignorant than the guy in the tree..he felt he would see a deer before you, so he let you do your thing.. I would have just moved and forgot about it...public land hunters can be very ignorant..but, i never have a spot I just have to hunt, just the area. walk away and find another spot..and you called me a slob..never did that to a guy..
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/30 14:55:45 (permalink)
    If Dr. Trout was any kind of hunter he would pre scouted his area prior to ploping his azz down. He would of seen that there was a stand placed near by. Some one has taken the effort to scout and place their stand, only to have some one come plop down and try (on purpose )to ruin their day. I have seen this too many times. SLOB HUNTERs
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: public land treestand vote 2010/09/30 15:24:14 (permalink)
    I don't condone Doc's actions in regards to how he handled the situation, but I do agree with the principle of it. It is public land which means first come first serve, a stand doesn't reserve you a spot on public land. Among other reasons, I think this law is being pushed to protect this concept.

In my eyes, the guy that encroached on Doc's space and was a Richard for getting so close to him when clearly Doc was there first, stand or no stand he should have moved on.

I sure don't miss the days of hunting public land. It is nice to know that if I see anyone hunting near me now, a phone call is all it takes to get them a special date which will cost them a few hundred beans.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: