Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
cal200
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 71
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/27 21:46:01 (permalink)

need advice on legal catching

I have been up in the past few years. The guy I went up with is a lifter (snagger). I would like to know how to actuially fish for and catch a salmon the leagal way! I have a 9' medum action spinning rod will this work? I am a avid fly fisher for trout in my area. I think that would be a blast to catch a salmon with a fly rod. What lures are best?

37 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/27 21:53:56 (permalink)
    I have no idea about spinning rods. I fish an 8 or 9 wt fly rod like I fish for Trouts- just a little stouter tippet & flies.

Lyrical
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/27 21:56:17 (permalink)
    I love fly fish but am admittedly a little rough around the edges- read every post on this site -even the ones that dont look like they  have a header dealing with your question- things get off track real quick here and there is actually a lot of info from some dedicated fly guys dealing with equipment and flys as well as how to present them on posts with unrelated headers..Dimebrite put one up just a short while ago describing a bobber and egg sac method that should work well with your spinning gear for trout.
    cal200
    Novice Angler
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/27 21:59:19 (permalink)
    The 8 or 9 wt fly rod i have a 8. My reel has no drag and is sort of small for the amount of line a salmon will take what would you recomend?

happiness is fishing!
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/27 22:11:21 (permalink)
    if you have a 7 weight or heavier go with the fly rod since you have the experience with the fly rod. otherwise try the spinning rod with bobbers if you know how to rig. it sounds like you have experience so i imagine you will catch on either way even if you don't use bobbers. go with your gut instinct is what i recomend. i recomend going down low from town or lower if going up tonight, otherwise, in the next few days, they will most likely be thick through most of the river...good luck
    cal200
    Novice Angler
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/27 22:13:25 (permalink)
    i will be going up on the 8th of oct. I wish i could be there right now

happiness is fishing!
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/27 22:16:16 (permalink)
    I would strongly suggest a lot of backing on that fly reel. These guys can really run hard, fast and long when hooked.
    cal200
    Novice Angler
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/27 22:20:27 (permalink)
    thanks for the advice!!! i need all i can get. i herd the dsr raised thier rates how much is it now?

happiness is fishing!
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/27 22:34:14 (permalink)

cal,

There are many legal ways to catch Salmon and Steelhead that are abused as you probably have seen. One could go on for hours on different methods and techniques, but I'll just touch on a few.

Bring your fly rod trout stream methods with you to the SR and you'll do just fine, provided you have the right equipment. You can fish for these migratory fish in all the same ways, as well as traditional Atlantic Salmon techniques. My methods may not be the norm on the SR, but they work. You can pick up an fair priced 8/9 weight reel with a decent drag to go with your 8 weight rod. Your rod should be at least 9'. Start with a floating line, tie on a 9' ft leader( I tie my own), then add to that a 3-4 foot tippet section, use Maxima Ultragreen, start with 8lb, carry 6lb with you, and leave the tag end to add your weight to. Start with little weight, 1-2 #7's, it will work. Get used to casting and roll casting with weight. Use your trout stream flies, all your nymphs and woolybuggers will work, you can always by flies at any shop in the Pulaski area.

Work the faster water and seams, avoid the dead water and deep holes for now. With the small weight, cast upstream and use a slack line technique, keep the rod up and then follow your line with the tip of the rod, if you feel a bump or tug just hold the rod tight, don't jerk it back. Fly cast into the whitewater at the head of runs, and the whitewater at the tailoutss of runs and pools. This method works great, just be ready at every moment for a strong strike, and when you get it, just raise your rod tip, do not set the hook yet, wait till you feel the head shake 1-2 times then set the hook. Never try to turn the fish downstream, if they go up, let them go and follow. Always walk the fish to the bank to land it, use your rod, make it work and bend, it's your best friend.

That's all I can muster for now,

Tight Lines,

OldSalt

Fresh Steel
    post edited by OldSalt - 2010/09/27 22:37:15

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    cal200
    Novice Angler
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/28 21:35:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for you advice Salt. I will try your methods. Hopefully i hookup.

happiness is fishing!
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/29 00:21:48 (permalink)
    WAYYYYYY too much weight for flyline---better to spool w/ mono.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/29 08:56:12 (permalink)
    I caught a king in the DSR that maybe went 25 to 28 pounds....The 7 weight was barely enough for the job....I wouldn't use anything lighter if you think you'll get into some kings....

You do need a good reel drag....I use an Abel big game reel......One of the best drag systems on the market.
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/29 10:13:30 (permalink)
    i fish eggs sacks on my spin set up
    just enough weight to have it touch bottom once in a drift
    every fish i have caught this way in the last 3 years has been deep in the mouth

with the fly i am not as sure i am getting them to bite
    i fish egg patterns and the occasional wooly bugger or flashy streamer
    once in about every 5 hook ups is not legit and as soon as i see that i break them off
    btw i use a sinking line rather than shot
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/29 10:33:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: metalslayer

WAYYYYYY too much weight for flyline---better to spool w/ mono.

Huh? First off, spooling mono onto a flyrod defeats the idea of using a flyrod, and ruins your ability to cast. Second, flyine is built around a braided core, that is usually around 30lb test or HEAVIER. How can that not handle the weight?

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/29 10:50:20 (permalink)
    oh yea
    switch to circle hooks
    forgot to put that in there
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/29 11:40:55 (permalink)

(2) # 7's, or even (1) #5,  is not too much at all, good starting point, you can easily take one off or go with (1 or 2), 3/0's, or less.

Even with this weight, the fly line is still propelling the leader and fly, you can roll cast or traditional cast, but with any added weight to the leader, it takes a bit of practice to get used to casting the fly line.

Spooling mono on the fly reel, you cannot cast, you cannot roll cast, only flip/cast, yes you can flip real far if you know how to handle it, but unless your flipping egg sacs, you need a lot of weight to propel your mono. 

Tight Lines,

OldSalt
    post edited by OldSalt - 2010/09/29 13:04:15
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/29 17:18:03 (permalink)
    at the tressel hole, any catch is a legal catch....
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/29 17:37:56 (permalink)
    01d weight debate. lets call it a debate : So lets stick with Salmon on a fly rod, maybe even
    fly fishing..

This is why I prefer to fish the type of water I have shown in the pictures posted.. if you fish that water properly in 750 or less you really need zero weight on your line and only weight is to the fly be it bead chain on a comet or a heavy material bunny leech or whatever you choose.... A sparse fly with the right materials will sink deeper It's just as basic as it gets for salmon fishing..

If you choose to fish the hard pockets then it takes a bit more skill in presenting your fly or bait to a fish when the water depth and hydraulics work against you..
    Yea it's nymphing but on steroids !!
    So that is where most folks fall into "add more weight" , we are still talking salmon here...

When fly fishing for salmon my goal is , NOT to touch bottom with my fly,,, be it on the drift or swing.. I catch plenty of fish to fit my needs , maybe not tons but over the years more then a 1,000
    In general I loose very few flies if any flies (to snags) in a full days fishing..
    The goal is to present the fly or bait at or above the fish line of sight.. A Salmon will move up or to the side but never down..
    If you are not sight fishing to see everything that’s going on and are foul hooking (hooked one) fish it’s to much weight.. Fish above the fish.. They look up not down...

so how much weight is to much & might as well use mono /??
    If you have to much weight , why not just use mono .. even on a fly reel .. Still easier then casting & retrieve..
    Does adding weight catch fish legally ?? Of course it does ... If you are foul hooking or getting snagged ?? Take some weight off and drift the fly or bait,, heck bobbers work too..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/29 17:44:35 (permalink)
    Just what I was getting at---when I'm FLY fishing--I use floating line and VERY little weight(or none at all)---I don't see how you could false cast w/ the amt of weight I see and hear prescribed.
    post edited by metalslayer - 2010/09/29 17:50:33

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/29 17:58:10 (permalink)
    Your right slayer :)
    If you noticed in the pictures.. the boy was back casting about 50' of line .. Pretty sweet for a 12 year old who caught his first brown then and first king last weekend.. Think he's hooked ??
    The other picture (water type) my buddy had zero, not even weighted fly, drifting to kings..
    those 2 methods are all about water type.. shoot the salmon swim up river right ??

Again thats as basic as it gets to salmon fishing for anyone who is asking advise..

post edited by hot tuna - 2010/09/29 18:09:40

EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/29 21:58:17 (permalink)
    Cal:  Old Salt gave some good advice.  Some things I learned about fly fishing the Salmon River.  If you want to fly fish and do it in the DSR (of which I am not a fan) they will take a fly fairly readily.  However, once they get to the Black hole and above, they have seen so much hardware thrown at them that catching them on the fly is a whole different ball game--much much harder.  Many of the guides (IMHO) take their clients to the DSR not just to avoid crowds and awful behavior of fishermen, but because the fish will take a fly or other offering much more readily.  I would recommend avoiding the big holes like the Trestle, Sportsman's etc and focus on the broken water that has pockets, white water and the like.  Even if it is not very deep, it will hold salmon.  Be careful in your approach as they will spook just like a trout.  While they are more difficult upstream, they can be had as the fly zones attest. 
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/29 23:10:29 (permalink)
    Tuna,

If I'm fishing your type of water, then sure no weight needed or very little. Low and you can see the fish. Pretty basic. Swinging streamers, lots of fun, crushing takes.

But only one of the many ways to catch King Salmon fair and square on the fly rod.

Metal,

If I'm false casting, sure weight is a pain and really do not want to false cast with weight. On the SR I rarely false cast anyway except during the summer.

So you see, you adapt, and believe me I'm not a fan of much weight, but the successful techniques for the SR are very different than most traditional Salmon Rivers.

Mostly roll casts, but if you practice enough you can fly cast with small amounts of weight, fish all the fast water, pocket water, dead water, false cast, barrel rolls, no limitations.

Just adapt your techniques and get the MONO off the fly reel. 

Tight Lines,

OldSalt

post edited by OldSalt - 2010/09/29 23:36:44
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/30 13:03:45 (permalink)
    Get the fly in their bubble. Use enough weight to get it @ their eye level- no more & no less. Done.

Lyrical
    cal200
    Novice Angler
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/30 21:17:48 (permalink)
    i am coming up oct. 8-11. will be staying at stoneys. hopefully the water will be fishable by then. if any of you are there when i am stop in and say hi and drink a beer in the evening with my daughter and i. friday we will be in site b-2 saturday we will be in site c-3 next to the bathrooms.

happiness is fishing!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/30 22:07:29 (permalink)
    Why get the mono off the fly reel ?? Anyone using this set up is not really concerned about their equipment & just looking to catch fish anyway.. No different , just another method ? Never tried it so I'll leave it at that.

roll cast # 7's & 5's and still think the line is propelling the fly ? Well , Ok...

Back cast is the way to go when fly fishing salmon in most situations.. I make many a bad cast which requires me to quickly pick line up and back cast or false cast again for a better presentation..
    Why would techniques differ here then on other bodies of waters..
    I hear it all the time to just fish like you would your favorite trout stream.. I don’t often fish heavy pocket water in my trout streams. Read the water and find where the fish will hold in the feeding lanes but yes Salmon don't feed.. They still follow the lanes..
    When nymphing like your trout stream be it pocket water or what ever ,remember trout look down in the gravel for food , salmon do not so yes there is a difference to me ..

I still cant buy the whole package of salmon looking to heavy water for Oxygen.. Maybe in 68>70 degree water but not in 50's to 60's.. They are trying to hide just as they do in deep sucker holes..

Yes you can fish & catch fish in that hard water but why put your self through the painstaking "high stickin" when the easy way to catch fish is the tails, runs & chutes ?? I said "catch" not hook.

So now what to do when the water is high & sight fishing is not an option ? Bet folks been waiting for this..
    Forget the heads or chutes.. the fish will easily blow right through them without stopping giving you no chance ..
    Look to the TAILS of pools with some rapids (need not be hard water) or chutes just below the tails of the pools. Read the tails and find the migration path (even in high water they follow the contour) and where they might rest.
    This is where the will hold briefly after easily running through the chutes.. It's your best shot of getting a fish to take before they disappear into the depth of a pool..
    Try swinging a fly through the Runs, they will also hold because of the depth of the flows and the runs will be much more manageable then deep pools..
    Again a bobber works well here for spin guys..

good luck , stay safe and be smart out there..

Bunnies Beware tomorrow :)

cal200
    Novice Angler
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/30 22:17:13 (permalink)
    i didnt mean this to cause a arguement. i just asked a question.

happiness is fishing!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/09/30 22:25:20 (permalink)
    no arguments here, that I see.. Just advice and a weight debate..

One last advice I will give..
    If you find the fishing difficult or get discouraged.. Try hiring a guide..
    This is not a personal endorsement (I don't guide Salmon any longer)
    I will say the very best person (IMO) who is working the river is Loren.. Flyguy.. Obviously this year is out but consider next season If things don't work out..

Good luck and maybe If the brookies fall through next week I'll gladly share a beer .
    post edited by hot tuna - 2010/09/30 22:31:12

OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/10/07 22:04:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hot tuna

roll cast # 7's & 5's and still think the line is propelling the fly ? Well , Ok...

All day long, on a roll cast the line is leading the leader and tippet.

When nymphing like your trout stream be it pocket water or what ever ,remember trout look down in the gravel for food , salmon do not so yes there is a difference to me ..

Oohh, yes they do, salmon key in on eggs heavily and even though many loose eggs float up in the water column, salmon pick up most of them just above the gravel. In smaller trout streams, when you are nymphing with micro shot or not, you nymph is much closer to the bottom agreed.

On the SR, you nymph differently with the weight, since your(my) tippet is keeping the nymph about 3-4 feet up off the gravel.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    cal200
    Novice Angler
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/10/13 21:42:57 (permalink)
    I bought a 9/10 weight fly rod at the Pineville Sport Shop by the way those guys are great! I also got some streamers. THE SALMON DO BITE!!!!! i had multiple hookups with a bright pink streamer. The fight was great with a fly rod! I can tell you that 3 hookups within 30 minutes with good fights really makes my arm tired!!! I WILL NEVER FISH WITH ANYTHING ELSE EVER AGAIN.

happiness is fishing!
    cal200
    Novice Angler
    RE: need advice on legal catching 2010/10/13 23:35:14 (permalink)
    Hey Salt do you drive a Toyota Landrover with NY licence plates that say SALT?

happiness is fishing!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: