A little help please!

Author
JOE PA
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/27 19:28:27 (permalink)

A little help please!

I'm sorry to ask you guys what may be silly questions, but I have not fished the Salmon River for at least 18 years.  I read the DEC regs, but I have a few questions.

1.  We used to need a 2+ ft. leader between a swivel and the hook, with weight only above the swivel.  Does that reg still apply?  I read the the distance now can't exceed 4 ft., but do you still need a 2+ ft. leader?

2.  The regulation about the weight added to a swivel or line not being lower than the hook.  Does that mean no more pencil lead or weight droppers from the leader that can be broken off without rerigging the whole setup?

I'm pretty sure the rest of what I am planning on using is OK.  Planning on making the drive tomorrow night and fishing Wed. and Thurs.  Thanks for any and all help.

5 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: A little help please! 2010/09/27 19:55:38 (permalink)
    legit questions:

1. the 2' swivel rule is long gone.. You need not use a leader or swivel at all if you dont want.. The Big thing in the rule is > Weight can be no more then 4' up (in line) from hook..

2.Yes you can use a dropper pencil weight but again no further up from hook then 4'.
    As for hanging weight below hook, that was to rule out the snelled hook with weight tied below .. It would not effect you unless the pencil weight is "real" close to your bait which I don't think that is your intent..

One last note (edit) If you fish DSR.. there & only there , you are required to have a "break" in your line at or below 4'.. Meaning that "break" may be a knot or swivel.. Fly or spin.. Still your weight is the same set up..
    Their reason > it means (to them) less line left in the water if you break off.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2010/09/27 20:10:08

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    JOE PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: A little help please! 2010/09/27 20:18:16 (permalink)
    Thanks very much, Hot Tuna.  Really helps me out.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: A little help please! 2010/09/27 21:43:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reminder about the DSR rule. I was running around last time I was there trying to find swivels on broken line lying around on the ground.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: A little help please! 2010/09/27 21:57:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: retired guy

Thanks for the reminder about the DSR rule. I was running around last time I was there trying to find swivels on broken line lying around on the ground.

Funny- I was running around with broken line most of the time.... 3 weeks & I'll give em heck again (if my wife will gimmie the funds).

Lyrical
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: A little help please! 2010/09/27 22:44:04 (permalink)

The fishermans knot works just as well, and it is a break in the line.

OS
    Jump to: