noodle roddin' wipers

Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9694
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/27 15:17:47 (permalink)

noodle roddin' wipers

I bought a noodle rod the other day.  I figured, if I am only going to make a trip or possibly two per year to Erie, I'm done making things harder for myself by using my fly rod and limiting myself to flies.  That and I broke my 7' light weight rod and figured a 9' light weight would be a good replacement.  It seems to be nice for tossing light offerings out a good bit.  It's likely my new panfishing rod.  Kind of got me thinking to use it for tossing alewives without any weight during the wiper night time bite too.  Although, I'll probably switch out the 6lb line for panfish and trout to something a bit more stout for the wipers.  I'm fine with my medium weight set up for chucking lures, but it isn't the best for the times that I am looking to sling alewives.  I don't mind carrying an extra rod, ready to toss out an alewive when the fishing is slow.  Actually preferred, so I don't have to retie.  I've never seen anyone using them on Arthur, but I'm sure that I won't be the first.  Anyone? 

Anyone? 

Beuller?

9 Replies Related Threads

**commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: noodle roddin' wipers 2010/09/27 15:38:03 (permalink)
    i rarely shore fish but there are times i'll shore fish the river and you can cast a light plug/soft plastic a long way with a noodle rod.

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: noodle roddin' wipers 2010/09/27 15:38:12 (permalink)
    pt, i have seen guys trolling (not sure what) with them at pymatuning. spoonchucker uses his for lots of different applications. cannot see why it wouldn't work.

Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: noodle roddin' wipers 2010/09/27 16:14:16 (permalink)
    Fine for shore fishing, The extra length can be a bit of a hassle in a crowded little boat.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9694
    RE: noodle roddin' wipers 2010/09/27 18:25:08 (permalink)
    I guess that makes sense not using on the boat.  I actually prefer to shore fish when the wipers are in close to shore.  Makes getting home at 3AM a lot easier... 
    CREEKTROLL3
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: noodle roddin' wipers 2010/09/27 18:54:11 (permalink)
    Hey Pork, noodle rods work good for the alewives from shore. Been using mine the last 4yrs. I use a OKuma Avenger bait feeder reel on it. I made some homemade rod holders so i can fish another rod with lure's. Also the best rod for gills and crappie I'VE EVER USED.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: noodle roddin' wipers 2010/09/28 10:07:21 (permalink)
    i hav never used one for wipers but use it for smallies when i fish bait.  and you really don't have to go heavier on the line, 6# is good for wipers.  it isn't like you can put a lot more pressure on them using heavier line.  the rod can only handle so much force put on it.
    STEELYS MANFISH
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 682
    RE: noodle roddin' wipers 2010/09/28 12:37:49 (permalink)
    PT,

Thought about using mine more for the big carps at Oneida Dam but rigging it with an alewive and fitchin for wipers sounds awesome as well. I only get to fish Steel a couple times a year so my G Loomis gets very little use.

I would have to agree with Riz and his line preference. If 6lb is good enough for fresh steel then Ib be willing to try it for the wipes as well.

By the way I STINK at wiper fishin so Ill try anything at this point. Someday I'll get it but didnt think it would take this long. I thought for sure this summer was the ticket since I had zero problems finding them. We had nice schools of fish bustin bait all to ourselves but the presentation must of been off.

Good Luck with the fall bite this year out on the Dead Sea.

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: noodle roddin' wipers 2010/09/28 15:52:48 (permalink)
    noodle rods work great for flatlining minnows, just make sure u dont get something too soft as they can be a real nusiance in casting a larger offering.

Stay with something in the medium light range, and stay away from the "true" noodles, i.e. St. Croix wild river.  Way too soft IMO and really a hassle to cast.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: noodle roddin' wipers 2010/10/07 11:27:08 (permalink)
    I use mine for them big carp at the Pymie spillway, sure id fun ! Wipers should be ok.
    Jump to: