channel cats at acme dam?

Author
flyingmoles
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 494
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/26 09:19:12 (permalink)

channel cats at acme dam?

yesterday i read in the news paper that people fishing acme dam (chestnut ridge park) have been getting channel cats at night. i know the the fish commissions website says they have been stocking fingerlings in the since the mid 90's. though i have never caught or heard of anyone ever catching any till now. even the biologist survey this past year turned up no channels. as this is my home lake and one that i've fished for the better part of 30 years i would think that a channel or two would have turned up in my marathon bullhead\carp sessions. i have heard and read some total BS about the lake. i.e. the presence of trout and walleye. i'm just wondering if anyone out there has actually caught a channel out of there. there are a few major features which make me think it's not possible for them to survive. fingerlings don't stand much of a chance in a lake over run by what i see as garbage fish. primarily the stunted largemouth bass. the bottom has nothing but silt. no stones or current. it's really just a 26 acre farm pond. also the length of the fish mentioned in the fishing report are consistent with the average size of the bullhead. around 15". could this just be a serious miss identification?, or just a misprint?

7 Replies Related Threads

Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: channel cats at acme dam? 2010/09/26 14:25:49 (permalink)
    i'm sure there are a few channels in there. most of the area lakes have been stocked with channels in the past and on occasion you will hook into one. just because no channels showed up in the biologist reports doesnt mean that they arent in there, they are probalby just few and far between. twin lakes co park was also surveyed for channels recently and they only found a couple channels, several of these channels were pretty small which indicates that there might be some natural reproducion happening as they havent stocked twin with channles in a few years.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: channel cats at acme dam? 2010/09/27 11:33:18 (permalink)
    Improper fish ID is easy. I see misprints in fishing magazines all the time. Aren't these people the experts ? There was a mis-ID in the Pa angler & boater 2 issues back.

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: channel cats at acme dam? 2010/09/28 04:56:16 (permalink)
    Never heard of channels in there always bullheads...

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    PaWolfman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: channel cats at acme dam? 2010/09/28 16:55:39 (permalink)
    I don't think there are channels in there. All I hear is that there are bullheads at acme.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-Thomas Jefferson
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: channel cats at acme dam? 2010/09/28 20:01:52 (permalink)
    FYI Acme dam AKA Chestnut Ridge Park is a Westm'd County Park & as such, you need a night fishing permit & a lantern to fish there after dark. sam
    flyingmoles
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 494
    RE: channel cats at acme dam? 2010/09/29 07:27:42 (permalink)
    yeah i totally forgot about the permit thing. the park police roll through there several times a day now. i've never actually seen them stop and talk to anyone. i do know a guy who got in trouble for fishing after dark. he didn't know about the permit. the park police were all set to fine him. had actually given the citation, then they got their car stuck and my friend pulled them out. so no citation anymore. i can't remember how much he said the fine was supposed to be for.
    steelers1317
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: channel cats at acme dam? 2011/07/13 22:43:27 (permalink)
    went fishing last friday night, 3 hours, got 6 cats between 2 of us, 3 poles total, biggest 15 inches. missed a few as well.
    Jump to: