REPORTS, HECK JUST GO FISH

Author
OldSalt
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/25 11:05:17 (permalink)

REPORTS, HECK JUST GO FISH

All I can say is after 20+ years, and many members on this board much longer, of fishing the SR, come the first week of Sept., you really do not need a report to know that there are fish in the river.

Remember the days of no reports, wish we had those back again.

A " Fishing on Fire" report is only as good as the section you are in and will differ daily and hourly along the river. The DSR is the first section the fish enter, they are hot and "dumb", and attack virtually anything, plus the fact of the DSR being patrolled with a lot more eyes to see whats going on with fish activity.

Once these fish leave the DSR they've seen a lot and smartened up, not to mention that they then enter the Black Hole and either hunker down or dissappear in the many miles of the river system. In the DSR you can see them coming, not many other places on the River quite like that, so a great day in the DSR could just be average or less than average anywhere else. But then, what is average ?,  only depends upon your expectations.

With that said, I think that if everyone just went fishing and fished for these fish like trout, they would all have great days. Isn't hooking up with 2-4, 20+ lb fish good enough ? If your fishing right, you'll have great, long, fights with 2-4 fish, instead of a quick hook-up and a loud snap.

I've encountered so many spoiled fisherman on the River and fisherman that are standing around waiting for a few hundred fish to swim by so they can flail there #2 streamers at them. The days are coming, and are here, of less fish, so you need to be a smarter fisherman and adapt.

Sure it's nice occasionally to be in the right spot, the right day, and have fish swimming by you all day, but on those days my 7 year old daughter and my 95 year old Dad can catch fish as well as anyone.

Everyday from Sept. on, you can catch fish, just think like a fish, look at the water, the lies and downsize. Less weight is the best technique going if you really want to be successful. I mean way less weight.

The last few weeks, good or bad reports, I still catch fish everytime, and enjoy catching fish right in front of guys who say the fishing is slow or the run hasn't happened yet.

Anyway, just my thoughts and would love to fish with anyone here and enjoy a great day on the river, as a matter of fact I cannot remember a bad day on the SR.

Tight Lines,

OldSalt
post edited by OldSalt - 2010/09/25 20:28:25

11 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: REPORTS, HECK JUST GO FISH 2010/09/25 11:20:48 (permalink)
    feel the same way as you salt. i just get offended when a report is contested. it is what a 9 mile stretch of river to fish... what one sees in one spot while fishing is completely different in the rest of the 8.25 miles of water that are being fished...
    Charlie_1
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: REPORTS, HECK JUST GO FISH 2010/09/25 14:21:27 (permalink)
    Well said Old Salt you are right on the money. It is all about getting a way with your friend and having a good time People get hung up and want to slaughter the fish just go out and have fun. My group will be going up the week of 18 Oct.
    FISH ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cohookhead
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: REPORTS, HECK JUST GO FISH 2010/09/25 14:39:39 (permalink)
    Well said everyone. With the current weather pattern I'm banking on next handful of days to be good if not I dare say Great!!!! May actually get that king run finally.

Stress is just one hookset away from being gone.
    JOE PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: REPORTS, HECK JUST GO FISH 2010/09/25 19:19:43 (permalink)
    As someone who hasn't fished in the Salmon River or other tribs for close to 20 years, I understand where you are coming from.  Still though, the info available today is nice, especially the river levels and such.  May venture up there this week as the weather sounds more like it.

The arguing back and forth about many things is puzzling, but it goes right along with most other boards I have seen, on many topics.  Sort of like politics, those who most often express their opinions seem to be the extremists.

Hope everyone has a great and satisfying fishing season.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: REPORTS, HECK JUST GO FISH 2010/09/25 21:34:27 (permalink)
    i'd say the majority of the group in here are extremists in one way or another...lol... i'll be the first to admit i am extreme when it comes to work, family, fishing, and having good times... rock on with a tigh line and a bent rod... and maybe even a beer in your other hand if you can swing it
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: REPORTS, HECK JUST GO FISH 2010/09/26 22:34:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

i'd say the majority of the group in here are extremists in one way or another...lol... i'll be the first to admit i am extreme when it comes to work, family, fishing, and having good times... rock on with a tigh line and a bent rod... and maybe even a beer in your other hand if you can swing it

hell yeah bud lol lol

I have become comfortably numb
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: REPORTS, HECK JUST GO FISH 2010/09/27 04:37:05 (permalink)
    Yes I'm an extremist. I get extremely annoyed by snaggers and by people that make up lies because they don't like someone or something.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: REPORTS, HECK JUST GO FISH 2010/09/27 09:04:23 (permalink)
    right on wader...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: REPORTS, HECK JUST GO FISH 2010/09/27 14:31:16 (permalink)
    We are all extremists or we wouldn't be sitting around the house blabbing on the computer during the times we cant be out fishing. It makes us all frustrated and combative and ugly and thick headed and generally unhappy.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: REPORTS, HECK JUST GO FISH 2010/09/27 14:42:03 (permalink)

Sometimes I feel like a fish junkie. I get all upset and antsy after I don't get out fishing for a few days and then its all Ok for a bit after I have fished. Then I start to get nuts again.
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: REPORTS, HECK JUST GO FISH 2010/09/27 17:59:58 (permalink)
    Working in pulaski and went over to rt3 bridge over lower salmon river to see whats up during lunch, the river was boiling with kings, everywere you look kings jumping out of the water( not hooked up), looks like there is a large run about to happen, was at the ballpark around 8am only saw one steelhead on a stringer, watched for 15 minutes no hookups but it wont be long and the river will be fuller, top to bottom. Great time of year.
    Jump to: