Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
270wbmag
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 347
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/24 08:06:58 (permalink)

BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO????

This is the discussion: were these big bucks we are getting on trail cam's here years ago and we never seen them???...with the hi tech cam's we can now see them in early am,, of the 5000 pictures we have taken so far this year in 3 months, over 50 shooter bucks, 8pts or bigger have been captured..were they here before the cam's in the big woods, 90 % of these bucks were out between 12am and 5am...hardly any in daylight hours...have the hunting pressure made them nocturnal???...I read we are down 200,000 hunters from years ago, silver will have exact figures as soon as he reads this...what HR has done is eliminate the hunters from the big woods, AR was the best thing ever done in this state for buck hunters and should have been implemented years ago..what would it have been like in the 70's 80's in AR was in force?????....my forecast is that off all these big boys we have on cam's.only a small percentage of them will be taken, and they just keep getting bigger and bigger..what do you guys think..?????

65 Replies Related Threads

RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/25 22:20:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 270wbmag

This is the discussion: were these big bucks we are getting on trail cam's here years ago and we never seen them???...with the hi tech cam's we can now see them in early am,, of the 5000 pictures we have taken so far this year in 3 months, over 50 shooter bucks, 8pts or bigger have been captured..were they here before the cam's in the big woods, 90 % of these bucks were out between 12am and 5am...hardly any in daylight hours...have the hunting pressure made them nocturnal???...I read we are down 200,000 hunters from years ago, silver will have exact figures as soon as he reads this...what HR has done is eliminate the hunters from the big woods, AR was the best thing ever done in this state for buck hunters and should have been implemented years ago..what would it have been like in the 70's 80's in AR was in force?????....my forecast is that off all these big boys we have on cam's.only a small percentage of them will be taken, and they just keep getting bigger and bigger..what do you guys think..?????

It appears that mature bucks in the big woods are very successful at avoiding hunters and harvest.

Of all the radio transmitter deer available to hunters in WMU 2G last year the hunters only harvested 8% of the does, 8% of the yearling bucks and, if I remember the percentage correctly, only 28% of the bucks 2 ½ years and older. In any event the percent of adult bucks harvested from the known deer out there was extremely low.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/26 15:09:13 (permalink)
    In the area of 2F that we hunt, when we used to have lots of pressure, we would see those big bucks about once a season when there was a lot of pressure and guys got them up and moving. As declined along with deer populations we saw them less and less, until we started using the trail cams in the area.

One thing I have noticed is that before we went to all IR flashes, we would get the big ones in the daylight early in the summmer a couple of times, but once they started to work at night we would get them under the flash, one time and then never again. Once those big boys got hit with the flash once, they were gone.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1271
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/26 17:41:08 (permalink)
    AR was the best thing ever done in this state for buck hunters and should have been implemented years ago..what would it have been like in the 70's 80's in AR was in force?????....my forecast is that off all these big boys we have on cam's.only a small percentage of them will be taken, and they just keep getting bigger and bigger..what do you guys think..?????

Bucks only get bigger until they reach about 5.5 years and after that they start to decline. The 1.5 bucks that were saved by ARs in 2002 would have been 5.5 yrs. in 2006 and 8.5 in 2009, if they managed to survive that long. The only way we will have more older buck than we had in 2003 is if we lose enough hunters so that the harvests no longer control the herd or if the PGC allows the herd to increase. The percentage of 3.5+ buck in the harvest has increased very little since ARs were implemented, because ARs shift hunting pressure from 1.5 buck to the 2.5+ buck.
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 09:57:41 (permalink)
    musky, and RSB..flash has less effect on big bucks than IR..they make noise...have many trophy bucks coming back after flashes..IR most never come back..have proof on many bucks..RSB..wco's told me years ago about the big bucks they saw after midnight when patroling and "spoting"..you guys can get away with it..who's going to stop you...what is your honest opinion on big bucks in the big woods..were they here 10 years ago...??? or is this a result of AR and less hunters in the woods???? thats my question....
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 10:47:03 (permalink)

musky, and RSB..flash has less effect on big bucks than IR..they make noise...have many trophy bucks coming back after flashes..IR most never come back..have proof on many bucks..RSB..wco's told me years ago about the big bucks they saw after midnight when patroling and "spoting"..you guys can get away with it..who's going to stop you...what is your honest opinion on big bucks in the big woods..were they here 10 years ago...??? or is this a result of AR and less hunters in the woods???? thats my question....

Even as a WCO I have never spotlighted after hours. But, because of the fact I spend way more time out there late into the night than most people I undoubtedly see a lot more of the nocturnal adult bucks than most people.

There have always been a few good bucks out there but I see way more adult bucks while out there in both the evenings and through the night time/early morning hours now then I ever did before antler restrictions. Some of the older adult bucks probably aren’t even being seem by people spotlighting. A couple years ago I was working an area, for poachers, where I was parked back on off of a field where there was a lot of spotlighting and reported shooting activity. After I had been tucked in for about an hour I watched, through the night vision scope, two really large bucks come out into the field where several other deer had been feeding since I got there. Every time those two bucks heard a car approaching they went back into the woods until the car was past. Though several people stopped and spotlighted the other deer in that field I don’t think any of them saw those two big bucks at all that night. I suspect more of the big bucks get seen during the rut then at any other time of the year but I am completely convinced there are way more mature bucks in the population now than ever before in our lifetime.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 10:51:20 (permalink)
    NOW, one more question for you....has the deer hunters in your area decreased since ar..????

deerfly
    Pro Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 11:25:45 (permalink)
    Every time those two bucks heard a car approaching they went back into the woods until the car was past. Though several people stopped and spotlighted the other deer in that field I don’t think any of them saw those two big bucks at all that night. I

That is precisely why the B/D ratio you derive from your surveys are meaningless. The bucks are more wary than the does which skews your results.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 12:02:58 (permalink)
    I can relate another "big buck" story as it realates to a WCO watching a particular field for poaching..

My local WCO and his deputies were watching a field that also had a poaching problem a few years ago.. one of the deputies told me of a BIG buck coming out in it late at night ... this buck always appeared from 1am until about 3am.... never before or stayed later... two hours of grazing and that was it, plus he never ventured more than about a hundred yards from the woods and the security there... I think NO ONE in this area was aware of this buck except for the WCO and his deputies .....

No one ever heard of it getting harvested either ... he just dissappeared
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/27 12:03:51
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 12:48:51 (permalink)

NOW, one more question for you....has the deer hunters in your area decreased since ar..????

The number of deer hunters has been declining in the big woods for along time. It started long before antler restrictions. As the deer populations increased in the southern counties increased the deer hunting pressure in the big woods decreased. I don’t doubt though that some of the no deer in the big woods hype has contributed to the decline in hunters coming north to hunt the big woods.

I have often wondered how many deer hunters would see if we were to put as many hunters in the big woods today as used to be there thirty forty or even twenty years ago. I know when I started hunting fall turkeys this area in the early sixties I didn’t see many hunters or deer in a day. Then when I went to the same place on the opening day of deer season there were both hunters and deer moving about all day long. Now I see about the same number of both fall turkey hunters and deer in a day of turkey season as I did in the early sixties but come deer season I don’t see the hunters of deer moving around. I kind of suspect if we were to once again have the hunters we once had moving around through the woods all day they would see about as many deer as they saw back then too.

R.S. Bodenhorn  
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 12:57:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: deerfly

Every time those two bucks heard a car approaching they went back into the woods until the car was past. Though several people stopped and spotlighted the other deer in that field I don’t think any of them saw those two big bucks at all that night. I

That is precisely why the B/D ratio you derive from your surveys are meaningless. The bucks are more wary than the does which skews your results.

Wouldn’t you rather expect that the mature older bucks have always been harder to see and count? I would rather suspect that since we are primarily looking at trends the surveys pretty accurately reflect that from both before and since antler restrictions.

What is affecting the surveys even more though is that as the habitat improves all of the survey teams are commenting on how it is getting harder every year to see back into the woods where they once used to be able to see and count deer and other wildlife.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 15:28:41 (permalink)
    RSB Wrote=The number of deer hunters has been declining in the big woods for along time. It started long before antler restrictions.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- How do you account for the fact that DEER hunter numbers are declining over TWICE as fast in Pennsylvania as hunters in general since 2001 which is just the opposite of the national trend? Deer hunting is much easier than turkey, rabbit,duck or ringneck and on par with squirrel hunting.
    post edited by S-10 - 2010/09/27 15:29:25
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 16:25:45 (permalink)
    Wouldn’t you rather expect that the mature older bucks have always been harder to see and count? I would rather suspect that since we are primarily looking at trends the surveys pretty accurately reflect that from both before and since antler restrictions.

You used your surveys to support your claim that there was a problem with the B/D ratio before ARs and I proved you were flat out wrong.
    I see about the same number of both fall turkey hunters and deer in a day of turkey season as I did in the early sixties but come deer season I don’t see the hunters of deer moving around. I kind of suspect if we were to once again have the hunters we once had moving around through the woods all day they would see about as many deer as they saw back then too.

How do you explain the fact that hunters managed to kill 7 DPSM in 2G in 2003 ,but a harvest of only 2.28 DPSM kept the herd stable in 2009?
    post edited by deerfly - 2010/09/27 16:33:00
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 17:01:48 (permalink)
    s-10

what are those numbers?  since you stated that fact, it would be nice if you provided the number for all of us to see.  i, for 1, would be interested in see those number and in that way you can verify your claim.  without those numbers, it's just your opinion without validation.  also, while your at it, can you include the fall in population for PA during that span.  once we have those numbers, then a more accurate assessment of the trend can be formulated.  don't you want to provide accurate information so we can see that you're right?
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 17:47:08 (permalink)
    Riz-- part came from the 2009 QDMA deer Management report, part from the 2008 QDMA hunter stats report and part from the Audit report on the PGC done by WMI. At the 1B-2F meeting last spring Martone and other PGC reps confirmed the Pa stats but wouldn't give an answer on why or what they were going to do to reverse the trend. Nationwide overall hunter numbers fell 10% but big game hunters only fell 5% between 1985 and 2006 and they only fell 2% from 2001 to 2006. There are a couple pages and charts in the Audit report that show the Pa numbers and they are just the opposite.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 17:51:26 (permalink)
    Here's a newsweek article about national trends and it's not exactly what S-10 is saying is the case ===

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15892909/site/newsweek/

One more article from 2010 ==

http://host.madison.com/sports/recreation/outdoors/article_bfba01a2-3968-11df-a396-001cc4c03286.html
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/27 17:59:05
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 18:03:17 (permalink)
    All the article is doing is taking a longer time frame and giving one mans opinion of whats the cause. Geez Doc, the QDMA information has always been your bible and the nationwide data came from them. Most of the Pa data is from the WMI Audit and confirmed by the 2F/1B Commissioner and PGC reps.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 18:16:07 (permalink)

here == this is directly from the US fish and wildlife survey of 2006 summary...
    so it's not just one person opinion..

Data from the FHWAR also suggests
    that retention in both fishing and hunting
    was on the decline between 1990 and2005.

In 1990 49% of all individuals
    who had ever hunted had participated in
    the three years prior to the survey;

by2005 this percentage fell to 43%.

As with recruitment, certain segments of
    the population experienced particularly
    sharp decreases in retention.
    Forfishing, the retention rate decreased
    sharply in the Pacific and Mountain
    regions and among households with
    incomes $25,000-$39,999. The retention
    rate among individuals with incomes of
    $25,000-$39,999 declined about twice as
    fast as that of individuals with household
    incomes of $100,000 or more.
    For hunting, the retention rate was down
    sharply among households with incomes
    under $40,000. From 1995 to 2005 the
    retention rate among households with
    incomes under $25,000 and $25,000-
    $39,999 fell 3% and 7% respectively.

This decline contrasts with virtually no decline
    among individuals in households with
    incomes of $40,000 or more.

For both fishing and hunting the
    declines in the retention rates were
    particularly sharp among residents of
    urban areas and central city residents
    of metropolitan statistical areas (MSA).

This is particularly true for hunting.
    The hunting retention rate in urban
    areas declined from 43% to 35%, which
    compares to a decline in rural areas from
    59% to 53%.

In 1995 the retention rate
    among central city MSA residents was
    37% and fell to 32% in 2005. This decline
    was more than twice as much as that for
    non-central city MSA residents and those
    who lived outside MSAs.

Geez Doc, the QDMA information has always been your bible and the nationwide data came from them

show me where those numbers are at -- I can't find them ????

"Pa declining twice as fast as any other state" ... ????????? (we're still in the top 5 or 6)
    and where it says that is the opposite of the national trend ... ????
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/27 18:17:51
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 18:35:20 (permalink)
    last one for today... shouldn't have ATTACKED my BIBLES !!!...

I just had to copy just what the QDMA stated in their 2010 whitetail report...

In our 2009 Whitetail Report
    (download at www.qdma.com) we
    discussed “Hunter Numbers, Demographics
    and Trends” on pages 23 to
    25. In the article we stated that while
    hunter numbers are in a steady decline,
    the number of big game hunters
    was only slightly declining and
    was even increasing in some states.
    As Families Afield and other hunter
    recruitment initiatives continue to
    attract and retain new hunters, we
    were interested in the most recent
    license sales data available from state
    agencies, so we surveyed wildlife
    agencies in the continental U.S. and
    asked for the total number of hunting
    licenses (number of unique hunters)
    sold in 2007 and 2008.

We received data from 38 states, and 26 (68 percent) reported
    selling more licenses in 2008 than in
    2007!

One state sold approximately
    equal numbers, and only 11 states
    (29 percent) sold fewer licenses in
    2008. For states selling more licenses,
    the average increase was 3.5 percent
    and ranged from 0.3 percent in
    Pennsylvania and Tennessee to 22.6 percent in Idaho.

Numerically, Missouri tallied the largest
    increase by selling an additional 28,521 licenses (+4 percent) in 2008. For states selling fewer
    licenses, the average decrease was 1.7 percent and ranged from 0.3 percent in Alabama and
    South Carolina to 6.8 percent in Mississippi. Numerically, Mississippi tallied the largest decrease by selling 14,446 fewer licenses in 2008. However, according to a Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks deer biologist, this decline is misleading as Hurricane Katrina had
    a major negative impact on license sales in Mississippi in 2005. License sales rebounded slightly

----------------

License Sales
    Quotable QDMA:
    “We received data
    from 38 states, and 26
    (68 percent) reported
    selling more hunting
    licenses in 2008 than
    in 2007!”

-----------------
    New England states also took it on the chin as Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont
    all sold fewer licenses in 2008. Fortunately only 29 percent of the survey respondents sold
    fewer licenses in 2008. Of these 11 states, 9 (82 percent) had 2008 license sales within 3 percent of
    their 2007 values. In total, 32 of the 38 respondents (84 percent) had 2008 license sales within +/- 5
    percent of their 2007 numbers.
    Regionally, 9 of 11 (82 percent) Midwestern states had increased sales in 2008, 3 of 4 (75 percent)
    Western states had increased sales, and 7 of 11 (64 percent) Northeastern and Southeastern states
    had increased sales in 2008. In the Midwest, Missouri had the largest increase adding 28,521 licenses
    (+4 percent), while Kentucky had the largest decline selling 6,549 fewer licenses (-1.9 percent).
    In the Northeast, New York added 26,330 licenses (+4.5 percent) while Massachusetts sold 2,306
    fewer (-3.3 percent). In the Southeast, Texas sold 19,691 additional licenses (+1.8 percent) and
    Mississippi sold 14,446 fewer licenses (-6.8 percent). Finally, in the West, Idaho sold 12,692 more
    licenses (+22.6 percent) while Wyoming sold 2,323 fewer licenses (-2.5 percent).

With a declining trend for hunter numbers and reduced wildlife agency budgets, it is encouraging
    for the majority of states to report license sales increases in 2008. Let’s hope when the 2009 license
    sales become available they will show a similar increase. We may have turned the corner with declining
    hunter numbers, and to do so in a tough economy is even more encouraging.

so as usual S-10 mis-represnts what he reads....

the increase nation wide was for JUST ONE YEAR and that was counting all license sales...
    QDMA even included PA.... S-10 did not mentioned that did he NOW !!!

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 18:38:53 (permalink)
    I had seen an article a while back that pretty much spelled it out. From 2001 to 2006 according to USFWS the average general hunting license sales decline in the US was an average of 4% decline in hunting license sales. For Pa, according to the PGC license sales info, i believe it was around 10% decline. That wouldve been over double the national average decline. Coincidence it occurred during the extreme changes in deer management?

IVe also seen the data posted about DEER specific hunter numbers declining at a much more rapid pace than "hunting in general" in Pa. It had been posted about on a couple of different websites.

BTW doc, if you want to get pgc license sales for 2001 and 2006, you need go no further than the pgc website. Dont need to quote some third hand error in an article.
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/09/27 18:43:19
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 18:43:15 (permalink)
    I forgot to copy the "declining buck hunters in Pa info from that report .. now I'm done ==
    Monday night football and Coors light !!!!!!

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) conducts a national survey of fishing, hunting, and wildlife-associated recreation every five years. The most recent survey was published in 2007 and includes data from 2006. This report includes the number of days afield by type of hunting, and categorizes these data for all hunting, big game, small game, migratory bird, and other animals.

According to the FWS, big game hunters logged 164 million days in pursuit of their quarry in
    2006. While white-tailed deer hunting constitutes the bulk of these days, the report does not
    separate big game hunting by species.

To get a measure of the number of man-days spent pursuing whitetails, we surveyed state agencies
    in the contiguous U.S. and asked for the number of man-days expended for white-tailed
    deer in 2007 and 2008. We received responses from 41 states (see map); 21 states reported 2007
    hunter effort data and 16 also reported 2008 data. Since nearly half of the states that responded
    to the survey do not collect man-days of effort, we were not able to estimate what proportion
    of big game effort in the FWS report was likely attributable to whitetail hunters. However, we
    did receive some interesting information. For states that collect/estimate this data, white-tailed hunter effort ranged from 62,000 man-days in Oregon to 9.7 million man-days in Michigan (see chart).
    Given the declining trend in license sales that we hear so much about, it is encouraging that only 4 of the 16 states reporting data for both years had fewer man-days in 2008. Two of the 4 states (Michigan and Pennsylvania) had reductions of 0.2 percent, and this is essentially a wash for states that tallied 9.7 and 6.5 million man-days in 2008, respectively.
    The other states with reductions were Wyoming (-1 percent) and Louisiana (-3 percent) -- minute reductions for sure.

Minnesota estimated equal numbers of man-days in 2007 and 2008, and the other 11 states
    reported increases ranging from 1 percent in Maryland to 76 percent in Idaho (note: data from
    Idaho included man-days for mule deer and increased from 241,059 to 424,779). Other notable
    increases included Oregon (22 percent), Connecticut
    (16 percent), and Mississippi (8 percent). Excluding the
    monumental percentage increase in Idaho, the other states’
    average increase was 7 percent.

This is extremely encouraging
    for deer management programs and the future of deer
    hunting.
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/27 18:53:59
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 18:46:55 (permalink)
    I can't see how you think that A.R. is the best thing ever done for buck hunters. have you ever seen pict. of big ones that were taken before? When was the State record taken before or after? alt had almost everyone thinking that they were going to get the new record in two years,did that happen? It is very hard to compare what was out there in earlier years because of different equipment being used by hunters today.Hunters use equip. today that the military didn't even have back then, What would have been seen with trail cams then. Also as our habitat shrinks & there is less land avail. there are less places for deer to hide. I would think that we would see more deer now than then.I personaly think that A.R. has done far more to harm deer hunting than to help it. I have no prob. with people waiting for a big one if they want to,I just don't like people telling me what is or isn't a trophy. Just remember that no matter how big or old your trophy is ,someone will say ,just imagine if it would have only made it one more year. sam
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 18:47:26 (permalink)
    Wrong year doc. Also one year hardly makes a trend. But 10% decline from 2001-2006 does.

"Coors light"

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 18:49:46 (permalink)
    BTW doc, if you want to get pgc license sales for 2001 and 2006, you need go no further than the pgc website. Dont need to quote some third hand error in an article.

If you look == I just posted some of the USFWS stats (about 6% decline) ...not from some article I read awhile back....

and the point is==was.. it's been declining since before AR/HR.. like since 1990 according to the USFWS
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 18:51:44 (permalink)
    Doc--Why is it you can find the 2010 report but can't find the 2009 one. Here it is for the blind and lazy whoever they may be. Read the audit yourself and look at the charts.

QDMA's 2009 whitetail deer reportEmail Print Comments By Don Mulligan
    ESPNOutdoors.com
    Archive
    This year's whitetail roundup is filled with lots of good news for deer hunters and was presented at QDMA's convention by their CEO, who took sides on one of the most controversial topics in deer hunting today.

Brian Murphy - QDMA Chief Executive OfficerLOUISVILLE, Ky. — Speaking before a packed house at this year's QDMA convention in Louisville, Ky., Brian Murphy, QDMA Chief Executive Officer, didn't mince his words when describing his biggest concerns for the future of deer hunting.

"Television hunting shows and even QDMA misinform hunters at times regarding the true nature of deer hunting," he said. " We all have to do a better job portraying the sport as something more than just the pursuit and harvest of record book bucks."

Even more controversial, however, was his statement about high-fence hunting operations.

"Though different operations offer very different experiences, I am concerned about the role high-fenced hunting will have on the future of deer hunting and the health of our deer herd in the United States," Murphy said.

He cited concerns over the spread of diseases within the deer herd and the role captive farms might play. He also discussed the negative impact privatization of otherwise wild animals would have on hunting.

After that, Murphy offered endless research and evidence that we are currently in the midst of "the good old days of deer hunting right now."

From 1985 to 2005, the number of whitetail deer in the United States more than doubled, growing from 14 to 30 million animals.

In that time hunter numbers have declined, according to the USFWS, but not as drastically across all species.

From 1996 to 2006, for example, overall hunter numbers fell 10 percent, but big game hunter numbers only dropped 5 percent. From 2001 to 2006 the decline was only 2 percent.

That's manageable, Murphy said, as long as we all continue to portray our sport positively and strive to keep it in the public eye.

And by all indications, hunters are doing a good job.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 18:58:21 (permalink)
    Notice how the deer population doubled from 1985 to 2005 nationwide, except of course in Pennsylvania where we are currently at 1964 levels. Any doubts why we are losing deer hunters faster than the rest.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 19:05:37 (permalink)
    GHEEEEEZZZZZZZZZ...
    here we go again....

An ESPN writer reports about what someone said from the QDMA...

so it is not from the 2009 QDMA report.. it's from Murphy's comments...

and note he (Murphy)says according to USFWS not QDMA figures... and they are not a direct quote from anyone..

In that time hunter numbers have declined, according to the USFWS, but not as drastically across all species.

From 1996 to 2006, for example, overall hunter numbers fell 10 percent, but big game hunter numbers only dropped 5 percent.From 2001 to 2006 the decline was only 2 percent.

wasn't 2001 to 2006 during our AR/HR when everyone quit hunting because there were no deer left ?????

note it also does not say DEER HUNTERS..... it says big game...

BTW ==the link to the 2009 QDMA deer report is directly below the 2010 link on their home page.... so I know where it is and I have read it too....

here it is directly from the 2009 QDMA REPORT ===

Hunters by the Numbers
    According to the USFWS,
    5 percent of the U.S. population
    16 years and older
    hunted in 2006. That was
    roughly 12.5 million hunters.
    Of those hunters, 10.7
    million (86 percent) hunted
    big game and 10.1 million
    (94 percent) of those hunted
    deer. These numbers suggest
    deer hunters comprised
    about 78 percent of all
    hunters 16 years and older
    in 2006. This highlights the
    importance of deer hunting
    and re-emphasizes that deer
    drive the hunting industry.
    In 1996 there were 14 million
    hunters (16+ years), so
    we lost around 10 percent
    of them by 2006. This isn’t
    a preferred trend, but it’s
    worth noting during that decade
    the number of big game
    hunters remained relatively
    stable with only a 5 percent
    decline and only a 2 percent
    decline from 2001 to 2006.
    Hunters Lost and Found
    There are multiple ways to calculate hunter participation rates, however, according to NSSF, 35
    states lost hunters from 1996 to 2006. Rhode Island lost 19 percent of its hunters while South Carolina
    lost 17 percent, Connecticut lost 16 percent, New Hampshire lost 15 percent, and Massachusetts
    lost 14 percent. New England took quite a hit with respect to hunter numbers. However, 15
    states increased their number of hunters during that decade. Georgia, North Dakota and Tennessee
    all increased their number of hunters by about 16 percent, and Oklahoma and South Dakota both
    gained nearly 10 percent. Noticeably absent from these
    lists are the “Big 3”. Texas, Pennsylvania and Michigan
    are the perennial leaders in hunting license sales and
    from 1996 to 2006 Texas held steady with less than a
    1 percent decline while license sales dropped nearly 6
    percent in Pennsylvania
    and over 8 percent in Michigan.
    That means Pennsylvania and Michigan each lost approximately
    as many hunters during that time period as
    there are in Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Massachusetts
    and Rhode Island combined!

NFL TIME .....

good night guys.....
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/27 19:14:32
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 19:39:43 (permalink)
    If you knew where the 2009 report was then why did you want me to show you where the numbers were at and said that you couldn't find them What you posted just confirms what I said about nationwide hunters with the exception of the Penna drop in (DEER HUNTER NUMBERS) and I told you where it was located. I can't copy and paste off the audit report but the charts are easy to read. You also didn't get your info directly off the QDMA report because you can't copy and paste it either. BTY deer hunters make up between 94 and 96% of all big game hunters depending on which report you read.
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 21:24:11 (permalink)
    HOG WASH
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: BIG BUCKS ? YEARS AGO???? 2010/09/27 21:45:02 (permalink)
    What hog are you washin
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: