Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/23 20:08:11 (permalink)

Sept-23/24-honest report

Wed 23rd--Fished around various spots and only hooked one fish from a pocket in the lower river where they tend to hold even on poor days- lost on a rock. Saw only one fish on the move all day, it was in the upper river.. Very little pressure and lousy fishing top to bottom. Surprised at the lousy fishing on a cloudy drizzly day with higher water.
  Thurs 24th--More of the same. One guy said that he saw a dozen or so on the move by Ellis around midday. Of course some are hooking up in the deep pools where they hold, I'm not a complete purist all the time but I just cant be around that kind of show.
 Back next week for muzzel loader season and hopefully something besides an occasional pod ( often referred to as on fire, nice run, fish on the move etc etc))

30 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/23 20:24:07 (permalink)
    i wouldn't say it's only been occasional pods up until this point... i bet we're in the running for another good weekend in to next week. tight lines...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/23 20:32:20 (permalink)
    Hey Dime
     Are you a guide or store owner or stock holder in DSR. It gets a little -you know- when one or two guys always have great reports and everyone else on both forum sites experiences otherwise. Well--- except for those reports from the guides and businesses.
     Nothing personal I understand business is business , location  location and all that stuff, but I'd like to know.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/23 20:55:28 (permalink)
    I've done pretty good everytime I've been out this yr---not sure if any were the same as you though----somebody once told me about a 10% 90% thing

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/23 21:11:03 (permalink)
    why is the skunked or few hook up report the only "honest" report? i am not a buisness owner, guide or stock holder in DSR. i've had many people mistake me as a guide, or tell me i should be one though. i try my best to help and inform people on the river when i'm fishing. some people just suck though. i just love to fish and have been doing it for a long time. i've seen plenty of days for sure metal in which 10% of the fishermen were hooking 90% of the fish... gotta love the days when it's 100% of the fisherman hooking 100% of the fish in the early season when there few to no anglers in sight or a blustery 5 degree day for steel.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/23 21:13:32 (permalink)
    btw... all i said was that from what i've seen i don't think it's been just small pods of fish here and there. and i guarantee there are many on this site who would agree with me.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/23 22:10:49 (permalink)
    When was the other "good weekend". It sure wasn't last weekend. Oh by the way I'm not the best fisherman in the world and not the worst, probably about 50/50 after 30 years of going up there and then being dedicated enough to it to buy a second home there.
    Also my reports include observations from others because I know i'm 50/50 and other people have different experiences in the same areas.
      All that said this is September fishing and everything is relative to that. We all know the HOT TIME be it great or so so is yet to come. I would agree that its nice to fish in August or Sept to avod be darned.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/23 22:12:43 (permalink)
    from a guide who has moved away from the crowded (popular) waters ..
    slayer don't give up much but knows plenty (honestly we never met but sure to have shared water)..
    I have absolutly no stake (maybe not the right wording) whatsoever in the fishery of the Salmon River any longer.. Nor would I stoop as far to give false information to promote any fishery or personal gain..
    At this point in the "salmon" season things are as they have always been.. There are fish in the system.. New fish coming in daily and fish spread out through the river.. Now granted many hit coolers but for those who want to spend the time and energy there are fish to be swung to , be it high or low..
    As for the #'s game ?? I never played that game so to me If we get a player its game on and a great day..

week 2 : have at it boys , pulaski needs you !!
    Brookies are small.. It's all about big fish

post edited by hot tuna - 2010/09/23 22:27:07

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/23 22:16:18 (permalink)
    OOOps on my last line- "to avoid be darned". Meant to say when there are usually so many fish the crowd be darned.
      No matter what we each may think of any particular day catching a fish or not isn't the real purpose of fishing anyway.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/23 23:20:04 (permalink)
    I was on the river Sunday to Wed.As mentioned there are fish thru out the river,just because you don't see them in 500 cfs does n't mean there are non there.Each day I had some action,primarly with Coho and got whipped each time,Wed was a good day as I had 12 or so hook ups in 5 hrs then drove home.I'll be back this Sunday thru Thurs for another go at it.
    Dime,I'll stop in Sunday with a friend,you going to be around 11to 12?
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/23 23:26:00 (permalink)
    Right on palfisher.
     Hit a favorite spot Thurs PM and one of the regulars said they had a few Hos go through on Wed. I knew the drill when I got there, a few guys around sitting & chatting and only one fishing. Wish the Hos  weren't so darned fast.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/24 07:58:56 (permalink)
    i don't think i gave up much in my post. i only claimed that from what i've seen this season, i believe it's been more than a few pods here and there. also, in regards to DSR; when someone posts a thread aiming towards their reports being a lie; while i was there and know it wasn't a lie, i will speek up. 500 cfs may have something to do with it. also, fish spread out. some run, while others stay, and some turn around. i will say as much as people have poked at this word; i have witnessed fishing on fire already this season. missed this past weekend, but from salmotrutta's and my fathers report from being there, i think one could conclude that the fishing was on fire this past monday...

Pa... not going to be up this weekend. i wish i was. i have to watch my 2 children all weekend long. aiming for the following weekend though. good luck.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/24 08:02:50 (permalink)
    you know ; it really makes me laugh to think that people don't believe me just because i report good fishing days. i guess there's no point in posting any reports if no one is going to believe me and contest me by saying i'm full of BS.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/24 08:50:06 (permalink)

Anyone who has fished there long enough knows that the DSR seems to get the best runs early as the fish are still concentrated when first entering the river . Then they vary in speed and spread out through the remaining miles making it somewhat more difficult and a completely different experience. You report fishing the very lowest point where the fish first come into the system therefore I would tend to agree your experience is somewhat different than that of those of us up stream. I fished that very same area frequently before there was a DSR and it was nice to have a shot at the freshest of fish. The reporting from that spot however does not reflect the fishing as it exists in the rest of the system and has to be taken differently. To a new guy coming up for the first time or in his first few years before knowing whats up hearing about 40 hookup mornings it is misleading.

2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/24 09:32:23 (permalink)
    I don't know guys----40 hook-ups with SUPER FRESH fish just out of the lake---yeah, I'm buying that, but what I'm not buying is a pass to DSR............don't have anything against DSR--I have been there a few times (3)---I normally stay way up river and walk away from folks...........really hate the crowds.......but that comes with fishing in Pulaski............a fishing report is a fishing report.........DSR, town, mid-river, or the fly stretches---I've had days in the UFZ with salmon that would blow you away..........then again, I've had days in the fly zones that were tiresome and very slow........it is called fishing..........somedays they smash your fly, some days they just sit there.......waiting to die...........I'm a full believer in the 10% 90% ideology........seen it too many times to disagree with it........there will always be someone who is really DIALED IN-----in the right spot, has the right drift, found the perfect lane-----the reasons go and on and on as to why one would catch or hook more than others............experience plays a great role though........you can never rule that out.............evenso, there are days when the most experienced of all fisherman will throw his hands up to the fish gods and wonder WHY--What have I done to deserve this-----a report is a report...............there is a learning curve when it comes to chasing salmon in Pulaski---if you have fished the river for a few years or more, you most certainly will have a good idea as to what is going on up there once the fish hit the system and where to fish in certain areas of the river (hopefully)...........and with that gained knowledge--I have scheduled my fishing dates accordingly............while Sept fishing might find one solitude, it might just be hit or miss with the fish..........October is a good bet to get into all kinds of fish............now, mind you---I fully understand that the fish have the most say as to when they will be in the system (or is it mother nature?) and how they act to a certain bait or fly.......slight variation from year to year......add in the weather..........how many size 7 split shots are knocking them on the noggin.........the sun, the moon, the sky.......waterflow.....how tired the angler is.........bla bla bla............

go fish................that's what I plan on doing this week..............and hopefully I'll be landing a few of those gnarly red-sided rockets

Hey PA------is it Sunday yet?

www.2bonthewater.com
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/24 12:39:58 (permalink)
    couldn't of been said any better 2B... and yes, i have had fire days in either fly zones and just about most other sections at all different times of the year. not just DSR... tight lines to everyone

btw... nice brookie tuna. and yes, even if i only hook one fish or even none in a day, i am still happy just to get out...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/24 12:48:31 (permalink)
    Hey 2Bon,

Right on with that,seen it too often, 2 guys 20 feet apart one hooking up and the other skunked.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/24 13:16:08 (permalink)
    2B...just keep babysitting those drunk hot totties and the time will fly!

Dime,I'll be up the following week when you're there,how long are you going to be around.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/24 13:21:42 (permalink)
    well haven't confirmed with the wife yet but i would like to be up there from next thursday til sunday. i'll let you know...
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/24 13:27:43 (permalink)
    I'm arriving Sunday ,Oct 3.,will be there till Friday.

I'll be leaving next week on Thursday.
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/24 22:37:13 (permalink)
    jus fish guys and enjoy and be glad u have a chance to do so

I have become comfortably numb
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/24 22:41:14 (permalink)
    I don't see where anyone has lied here. I had one great day (which we knew would be because of a full estuary & water increase) & the next I saw a few porpoise early & later a few on stringers. I went too high, but who cares. I enjoy fishing & I had some rare solitude. Good for the soul.

Lyrical
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/24 23:23:12 (permalink)
    Like it on top too. With a little walking you can have a nice piece of the river to yourself, fish or no fish, who cares/ Too bad that will change in a week or two.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/25 06:33:37 (permalink)
    The thing you have to understand about the DSR reports is that they take what they see patroling the river, talk to anglers on the river and then talk to people leaving the river, put it together an make the report.
    One of the things that sques the report is that last part. Many of the people they talk to, and give extra weight to, are the people they know that have been going there for years. These people as a general rule know what they are doing and the best places to be. If they are not catching fish along with the average day tripper and the wardens don't observe much movement there will be a report saying nothing is happening.
    If joe average is skunking up the place but the warden sees the fish moving and the regulars are catching fish it will be a good report. If Joe Average is skunking and the warden does'nt see movement but the regulars report hooking up it will say spotty fishing.

No lying going on just meshing the data and giving the result.
    Just remember the wardens observations carry more weight than the regulars and the regulars reports carry more weight than the once a year daytrippers.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/25 07:34:29 (permalink)
    well said wader...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/25 08:39:30 (permalink)
    hey PA, it looks like our schedules are going to just miss each other both times... maybe i'll be arriving just before you leave on thursday. i'll keep you posted
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/25 09:55:30 (permalink)
    That's too bad dime,my friend is very much like you as he lives to fish and we would have a blast if we could ever get together,we would even show you our "secret" spot!
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/25 10:33:20 (permalink)
    well, i'll keep you posted. look forward to sharing some water with you one day... good luck this week coming up
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/25 15:11:43 (permalink)
    rain forecasted from monday through the faollowing monday... you might end up seeing me earlier in the week PA...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sept-23/24-honest report 2010/09/25 21:05:46 (permalink)
    Great fishing weather report  this week, too bad Turkey season starts this weekend too. What to do what to do--a little of both I guess.
      Hey Dime, despite our lovers quarrel I really hope you and dad and as many guys as possible get out and get hooked up. The weather and time of year are perfect. ( temps dropping too)
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: